PDA

View Full Version : US Homeland Security given power to seize laptops

keith
03-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/01/AR2008080103030.html

Federal agents may take a traveler's laptop computer or other electronic device to an off-site location for an unspecified period of time without any suspicion of wrongdoing, as part of border search policies the Department of Homeland Security recently disclosed.

Also, officials may share copies of the laptop's contents with other agencies and private entities for language translation, data decryption or other reasons, according to the policies, dated July 16 and issued by two DHS agencies, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 11:45 AM
just as well i will never take one to the states

Dizneyblonde
03-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Oh no i wanted to take mine to skype and upload pics next year :(

Grammiepo
03-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Don't think this is going to hit, Disney travelers very often.

keith
03-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Oh no i wanted to take mine to skype and upload pics next year :(

I take one every time and will continue to :yes:

I think it's just something to be aware of. As Grammiepo says, they're not going to be out to grab every disney traveller's laptop.

Dizneyblonde
03-08-2008, 12:01 PM
I'd like to see them try getting my laptop off me!!!

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I'd like to see them try getting my laptop off me!!!

you wouldnt have a choice, or end up in nick

Dizneyblonde
03-08-2008, 12:10 PM
It was a joke.............. :D

keith
03-08-2008, 12:10 PM
you wouldnt have a choice, or end up in nick

Some people are already saying they'll ship their laptops there rather than carrying them through

Claire
03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
I think the emphasis is on the 'may'. I imagine they would have to have other suspicions regarding a particular person first to warrant them taking the laptop.

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 12:18 PM
It was a joke.............. :D

then put a :lol: on it just !!!! doesnt look like ts a joke you plum :lol:

Dizneyblonde
03-08-2008, 01:20 PM
That's what the !!!!!!!!!!! are for :gy:

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 01:27 PM
That's what the !!!!!!!!!!! are for :gy:

still dont tell you its a joke, its an exclamation , sound serious to me :tongue0011-1::tongue0011-1::tongue0011-1: :lol:

Johnie
03-08-2008, 02:05 PM
I swear we are fast on our way to becoming a police state...

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I swear we are fast on our way to becoming a police state...

i think from a tourist point of view, its getting ridiculous, and getting more and more paranoid every day....there will come a time when a lot of people will say enough is enough and not visit the US again...but if you have nothing to hide then its not a problem, wont ever stop me from visiting Florida :D

Johnie
03-08-2008, 02:13 PM
I've been through airport security many, many times.

I have also been through a security check at the base of the Statue of Liberty. Let me tell you, they know how to do a security check. I will never feel safe on a plane again until they do what SoL does.

I just don't see how a laptop and a bottle of hairspray is going to take down a plane.

Pretty soon they won't even let us take our luggage. Oh wait, most of the airlines are now charging to take luggage.

All of this bad news this morning is making me cranky :(

Britchick
03-08-2008, 02:24 PM
well i would rather them do this and catch a potential terrorist and have a little inconvenience. How soon we forget 9/11 and 7/7 and all the forces that have died since then. Remember the who-ha over fingerprints? About time we started vetting people coming into our borders too. :mad: i'll shut up now:lol:

Johnie
03-08-2008, 02:25 PM
I certainly haven't forgotten those atrocities. But, I don't think will truly stop a terrorist with an agenda. This just annoys regular folks who are trying to get somewhere.

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 02:46 PM
well i would rather them do this and catch a potential terrorist and have a little inconvenience. How soon we forget 9/11 and 7/7 and all the forces that have died since then. Remember the who-ha over fingerprints? About time we started vetting people coming into our borders too. :mad: i'll shut up now:lol:

oh i will never ever forget 7/7 i was involved in it and it affected so much i was off work for 3 months so you cant say that we forget coz we dont....i missed the liverpool st bomb by just a couple of mins and that im grateful to BR for once that my train was late, or i could be in a box right now

9/11 will live with me forever as well even tho i dont live stateside

keith
03-08-2008, 02:57 PM
About time we started vetting people coming into our borders too. :mad: i'll shut up now:lol:

It's about to happen... for a start it'll be airports with lounges that mix international/non-international passengers, but soon I'm sure it'll be everywhere

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 03:00 PM
keith do they have the retina scan at manchester yet like they do at gatwick?

Britchick
03-08-2008, 03:00 PM
i'm sorry if anyone has taken this personally it certainly wasn't aimed at anyone at all. I'm merely expressing an opinion. I guess what i'm trying to say is if there is a perceived threat then we have to trust our security forces to minimise that threat ie the laptops, if we have to give up a little bit of our time to be more secure then so be it.

Johnie
03-08-2008, 03:01 PM
:hug2: I didn't take it personally hon. I want to be secure as well.

keith
03-08-2008, 03:03 PM
i'm sorry if anyone has taken this personally it certainly wasn't aimed at anyone at all. I'm merely expressing an opinion. I guess what i'm trying to say is if there is a perceived threat then we have to trust our security forces to minimise that threat ie the laptops, if we have to give up a little bit of our time to be more secure then so be it.

Definitely not taking it personally bc, it's an opinion that many people have :hug2:

ukwdwnut

i certainly didnt take offence, i welcome a small delay for better security so dont think i did because of my post :hug2:

my post was just saying we dont forget :)

keith
keith do they have the retina scan at manchester yet like they do at gatwick?

They didn't last time I was there in May

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 03:05 PM
They didn't last time I was there in May

OK. as i perceive it its not compulsory at gatwick just an option. im going to get my lot thru it in 10 WEEKS :D

Britchick
03-08-2008, 03:06 PM
good lol :hug2:

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 03:08 PM
good lol :hug2:

you would and have to go some to offend me, im just not like that :) you only have to ask me and i will tell you :lol:

Mags
03-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Gee, they had better not take my Mac. I love that thing!

Margaret

keith
03-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Gee, they had better not take my Mac. I love that thing!

Margaret

Mags, I must admit it makes me want to take one of my older non-mac laptops

uscwest
03-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Some people are already saying they'll ship their laptops there rather than carrying them through
That might make them even more curious and they could still seize it at customs. :shocked025::(

keith
03-08-2008, 05:54 PM
That might make them even more curious and they could still seize it at customs. :shocked025::(

thats very true!

Taja
03-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Just a reminder...

Back up your data before leaving home!

It's something all of us should be doing regularly, but probably aren't! Including me--and I'm pretty good about it. Just not quite as good as I should be! :lol:

Tink
03-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Surely they would return it? Unless of course, whatever you had on your machine led to your arrest. :eek: