PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading right now? And do you use a kindle or ipad?

pigletpete
19-07-2011, 10:14 AM
So what are we all reading at the moment? I've actually gotten some great books from reading previous posts from you all on here :wiggle:

Is everyone reading on a kindle or ipad yet? or are there still dead trees involved?

uscwest
19-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Right now I'm reading this thread. LOL. No kindle, no ipad.

ukwdwnut
19-07-2011, 11:30 AM
ive never read a book in my life so i dont think i will start anytime soon on anything beginning with an i :lol:

foreverducky
19-07-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm reading a kindle book called Murder A La Mode. It's not bad.

One author that I have totally fallen for is J.A Konrath. He writes series with the main character who is a detective, her name is Jack Daniels. If you like a good mystery/thriller with a lot of laugh out loud humor, then these books are for you. There are 7 or so of them. They are absolutely hilarious.

The other author who writes similar books is Jeff Strand. He writes his series about a guy named Andrew Mayhem. A normal joe who ends up in some weird situations. Again, hilarious mystery/thrillers.

I can't recommend these books enough! :yes:

A turned a co-worker onto the Jack Daniels series and she loves them!

catrancher
19-07-2011, 12:22 PM
A turned a co-worker onto the Jack Daniels series and she loves them!

I mentioned the Jack Daniels series to my DW also and she's become a huge fan of them. She's got them on her iPad also. :thumbsup:

I'm reading Tom Clancy's new book (Against All Enemies) on my iPad along with numerous technical books.

Tom (:macwave:... iPad, therefore iAm.)

DisneyFreak
19-07-2011, 12:31 PM
I am reading Skin Tight by Carl Hiaasen. This is the 3rd novel of his I have read. They are good mysteries with some humor mixed in.

I still read from an actual book.

foreverducky
19-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I mentioned the Jack Daniels series to my DW also and she's become a huge fan of them. She's got them on her iPad also. :thumbsup:

Does she know about the Jeff Strand series about Andrew Mayhem? If not, these are similar. Fantastic books.

Slowhand
19-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I never seem to have the time to do much book reading, although I always manage to read at least one book when I`m on vacation.
These have mainly been autobiographies, the latest being "Life" by Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. Having read it I`m surprised that the title was not "Death". :lol:

Tink
20-07-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm reading Creating Magic, and Management of Organizational Behavior. I'm old fashioned, I like books. :D

I have however been known to download books to my phone and read them that way when I'm traveling. Not a bad thing at all and a whole lot lighter than carrying hardcovers. :yes:

Johnie
20-07-2011, 01:46 AM
I am always reading! I am completely infatuated with books. The way they smell, the way they feel, etc.

Currently I am reading Room by Emma Donoghue. Just started it this afternoon.

I just finished My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares. I swear this is my Twilight! It is book 1 in a trilogy. I cannot wait for the others to come out.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks was a fantastic book.

Johnie
20-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Oh forgot to add that I DO have a Sony ereader. I have yet to actually read anything on it.

Tink
20-07-2011, 03:03 AM
Slowhand what did you think of Keith's book? I saw it on the shelf the last time I was in the bookstore and nearly bought it...

Worth the read?

Johnie
20-07-2011, 03:12 AM
I tried to read Keith's book but couldn't get into it

mumof2
20-07-2011, 09:42 AM
I've just finished "Nothing Green" by Evelyn Doyle, I couldn't put it down and finished it in a couple of days.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/evelyn-doyle-from-heroics-to-heartache-584281.html

I've recently read these Peter James books which are set locally along the coast on Brighton so I could really get into them and visualise the locations described.

http://www.peterjames.com/

I've also recently finished Phillip Pulman's "The Tiger in The Well"

http://www.philip-pullman.com/pages/content/index.asp?PageID=77

And am part way into "The Rackets" by Thomas Kelly

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/data/book/fiction/9780753817902/the-rackets

Oh, and all in the old fashioned book form!

Slowhand
20-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Slowhand what did you think of Keith's book? I saw it on the shelf the last time I was in the bookstore and nearly bought it...

Worth the read?

It is a bit heavy Tink and there are [naturally] a lot of expletives in it.
I wouldn`t say that it was a good read but I thought that I ought to read it seeing as I have been a Stones fan for some time and I have also read Ronnie Wood`s book "Ronnie".
It`s not one of those books that I would recommend unless you are a really avid Stones fan.

Tink
22-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks Slowhand. Avid fan? Nah, I don't think so. I'm a Stones fan for sure, but reading a bio on a Stone kind of makes my eyes glaze over at the thought.

Keith always has kind of intrigued me though... the whole Stones group does. They've managed to perform together all these years. Seriously, who would have EVER thought they'd be old men? Not me!