PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me with a cake?

Shellyamc
20-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Please! I only ever make cakes for my kids, so I never really worry about them being good enough. My kids are really too young to complain :taunt: So anyway one of my best friends asked if I would make her a Winnie the Pooh cake for her baby shower. AHHHHH!! I am honored and totally stressed! My Dh says everything is wonderful because a) he loves me and b) he couldn't care less about cake beyond eating one :tongue: So I made these bees out of fondant8977.vB8978.vB (which I have never done before) and at first I thought they were cute, but now I really don't know if they look like junk. I can't use my facebook because my friend obviously will see it.

Can you give me your opinion please..would you use them? Do they look too silly? :sigh: Too much pressure! :lol:

Britchick
20-07-2011, 06:44 AM
I think they're ace Shelly! How did you do them?

Shellyamc
20-07-2011, 07:56 AM
I think they're ace Shelly! How did you do them?

Aww thanks. That is my problem..the more I look at something the more I second guess the choice I made. I even annoy myself :nono:

They were pretty easy to make. I took a brick of fondant and left part white, tinted part yellow and the rest black. You cut small circles from the white and flatten them with your finger. I pinched the bottoms and set them aside. I used a pizza cutter to cut the strips from the black and a writing tip from a pastry bag to cut out the tiny eyes. Roll a big yellow ball for the body and put it together with a tiny bit of water. :yes:

Lor
20-07-2011, 08:00 AM
:2thumbsup: They look very professional and I am sure the cake will be scrummy.

mumof2
20-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Shelly, they're adorable! :yes:

arkvilla
20-07-2011, 09:36 AM
I think they look so cute Shelley, well done :-)

Sandra

uscwest
20-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Shelly the bees are really cute and they do look professional. Do you have a Winnie the Pooh Cake Pan? I think Wilton makes one.

Kate
20-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I love them Shelly, they are sooo sweet - and very winnie the pooh! :yes:

mainecoon lover
20-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Shelly they are fantastic. I make a lot of cakes and when making for others I panic they are not good.

Tinkfan
20-07-2011, 01:14 PM
They are fabulous! Are you making a shaped cake or a rectangle with Pooh elements? When my daughter Jenn was small I made all her cakes! I remember she wanted a Sesame Street one and I ended up making cut out cookie characters to fill in the playground background!

Shellyamc
20-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys. I tend to freak out about things like this. Like I am going to walk in and everyone is going to go :thumbsdown:

I am going to do a sheet cake with Pooh elements. It needs to be a larger cake, so the pooh cake pan was going to be tough. I don't have the pooh, but I have a tigger and a taz :) I have the little baby pooh and tigger figures, so I am going to make a 100 acre wood kind of deal. I am not very artistic, so I usually frost the cake to look like something (beach, train station, construction area), and then add plastic toys etc. to finish it out. I wish I could draw and freehand things, but I'm just not good at it.

Kate
20-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Well from what youve shown us already i think itll be great Shelly! Hoping to see lots of photos!:yes:

mainecoon lover
20-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Sounds great :thumbsup:

Wendy
20-07-2011, 06:32 PM
The bees are great Shelly, I know what you mean about looking at things you've made and then doubting yourself, I do it all the time :hug2:

Where are you going to put the bees :unsure:

You can make Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet from fondant icing as well, the best way is to make them so they are sitting down then you won't have to worry about them standing. It's not difficult to do, you wouldn't have any problems.

Shellyamc
20-07-2011, 08:25 PM
You can make Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet from fondant icing as well, the best way is to make them so they are sitting down then you won't have to worry about them standing. It's not difficult to do, you wouldn't have any problems.

That is WAY too scary :hide: Like I said I usually frost the cake and then hide behind plastic toys :)

I am basically going to frost the cake green with grass and flowers all around. I have a plastic tree and a plastic baby tigger and pooh I am going to put on top. I think I might make a little fence out of pretzel sticks and put my little bees around. I am thinking for writing I might put "Welcome to the Wood.."

Wendy
20-07-2011, 08:41 PM
That is WAY too scary :hide: Like I said I usually frost the cake and then hide behind plastic toys :)

I am basically going to frost the cake green with grass and flowers all around. I have a plastic tree and a plastic baby tigger and pooh I am going to put on top. I think I might make a little fence out of pretzel sticks and put my little bees around. I am thinking for writing I might put "Welcome to the Wood.."

You could do it Shelly :hug2:

I do find that sometimes it's better to put plastic figures on as people can keep them as keepsakes :yes: You. could make a hunny pot for the bees

I can't wait to see the photos :hug2:

Johnie
20-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Oh Shelly! That is fantastic!! You did such a great job!!

Shellyamc
21-07-2011, 12:38 AM
:hug2: Thanks everyone!

hmm..a honey pot. That is possible..:yes:

Tink
22-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Based on the work you did and the results of the bees, I think you really need to do the rest of the characters in fondant. Seriously. The bees are wicked cute and how neat would it be to have Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, and the gang out of fondant?! :yes:

At least Pooh, the bees and honey pots!!! :mental:

C'mon Shelly! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Shellyamc
22-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Based on the work you did and the results of the bees, I think you really need to do the rest of the characters in fondant. Seriously. The bees are wicked cute and how neat would it be to have Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, and the gang out of fondant?! :yes:

At least Pooh, the bees and honey pots!!! :mental:

C'mon Shelly! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Thank you Thank you for having such faith in me :hug2: Honestly it is too late now to do the rest of the characters. With the heat and humidity the bees took forever to dry and so pooh might melt and sag before he gets to the party :point: I had fun doing it, so I think I might practice making some characters in a non-cake making time period. I would also like to try making my own fondant so it isn't quite as expensive :thumbsup:

Kate
22-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Sagging comes to us all eventually, i know how poor pooh wouldve felt! :sigh: :lol:

My friend made the characters from a childrens book called the gruffalo for her dd's birthday cake, they were fantastic but they had to be made in August when it was really hot and she said they were an absolute nightmare! The fox wasnt too pretty by the time we got him home! :lol:

Shellyamc
22-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Sagging comes to us all eventually, i know how poor pooh wouldve felt! :sigh: :lol:

My friend made the characters from a childrens book called the gruffalo for her dd's birthday cake, they were fantastic but they had to be made in August when it was really hot and she said they were an absolute nightmare! The fox wasnt too pretty by the time we got him home! :lol:

:lol:

Wendy
22-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Thank you Thank you for having such faith in me :hug2: Honestly it is too late now to do the rest of the characters. With the heat and humidity the bees took forever to dry and so pooh might melt and sag before he gets to the party :point: I had fun doing it, so I think I might practice making some characters in a non-cake making time period. I would also like to try making my own fondant so it isn't quite as expensive :thumbsup:

That's the way, practice when you have time :hug2: I've got lots of instructions and pictures I could email to you :)

As for making your own fondant :hide: rather you than me :lol: I have tried a few times, but I just can't make it as well as the professional ice I use. I just stick to the ready made, when I made my own there wasn't that much difference in cost either.

Shellyamc
22-07-2011, 04:18 PM
That's the way, practice when you have time :hug2: I've got lots of instructions and pictures I could email to you :)

As for making your own fondant :hide: rather you than me :lol: I have tried a few times, but I just can't make it as well as the professional ice I use. I just stick to the ready made, when I made my own there wasn't that much difference in cost either.

Wow - instructions would be great!!

Hmmm..maybe I should rethink making my own fondant. I really wouldn't cover a cake in it, so if I am just making small figures, I shouldn't need too much for each. :yes:

Wendy
22-07-2011, 04:23 PM
I'll have a look for them and send them to you :D

Making fondant for the figures shouldn't be too bad possibly, you can always make characters out of marzipan (the white) It's not as easy to work with and you have to be careful of people with nut allergies, but it is a bit cheaper, even if you use it to practice with.

Shellyamc
22-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I'll have a look for them and send them to you :D

Making fondant for the figures shouldn't be too bad possibly, you can always make characters out of marzipan (the white) It's not as easy to work with and you have to be careful of people with nut allergies, but it is a bit cheaper, even if you use it to practice with.

I think the fondant would be cheaper..I think I would nibble on the marzipan while I worked..hehehe. :tongue: