PDA

View Full Version : Oh Mac Users.... ROAR...

catrancher
20-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm downloading and installing Lion as we speak! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... early adopter!)

ukwdwnut
20-07-2011, 12:37 PM

and whats this tom a new OS?

catrancher
20-07-2011, 12:45 PM
and whats this tom a new OS?

Yeppers. :yes:

New version.

Tom (:macwave:... still downloading...)

keith
20-07-2011, 12:48 PM

omg! I've been checking :/ me goes to see

I'm planning on making a boot USB stick

ukwdwnut
20-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeppers. :yes:

New version.

Tom (:macwave:... still downloading...)

already?? didnt seem long ago tht the last one was being raved about on here!!

are the upgrades free or do you have to pay for them tom?

keith
20-07-2011, 12:49 PM
not seeing it in my appstore yet mmmm but oh god I bet thats because this already thinks Im on Lion since I'm on the developer build hmmmm

keith
20-07-2011, 01:00 PM
And very nice macbook air updates!!! ohhhhh Tinkkkkkkkk? :D could be the time to buy :yes:

catrancher
20-07-2011, 01:03 PM
already?? didnt seem long ago tht the last one was being raved about on here!!

are the upgrades free or do you have to pay for them tom?

You pay for them, Mick. Kind of like the difference between XP and Win 7.
Except this one is priced at a whole $29.99. :D

Tom (:macwave:... cheap at twice the price.)

catrancher
20-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm planning on making a boot USB stick

When you do, just be prepared for a lllloooonnnnngggg download. This is taking a whole bunch of time. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75186662/smilies/yawn.gif

Admittedly, that's probably because they're being assaulted with buyers.

Tom (:macwave:... waiting... waiting...)

keith
20-07-2011, 01:12 PM
yeah it's coming down at 1.5MB/s though which isnt too bad! and hopefully with the usb stick it's a single download for all the machines

When you do, just be prepared for a lllloooonnnnngggg download. This is taking a whole bunch of time. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75186662/smilies/yawn.gif

Admittedly, that's probably because they're being assaulted with buyers.

Tom (:macwave:... waiting... waiting...)

catrancher
20-07-2011, 01:16 PM
yeah it's coming down at 1.5MB/s though which isnt too bad!

Hmmm.... I'm only getting 250 to about 500 Kb. Damn ISP! :hopmad:

Tom (:macwave:... still waiting...)

ukwdwnut
20-07-2011, 01:16 PM
You pay for them, Mick. Kind of like the difference between XP and Win 7.
Except this one is priced at a whole $29.99. :D

Tom (:macwave:... cheap at twice the price.)

$30 wow thats cheap.

question!! are the downloads, upgrades or full blown new operating systems? if upgrades are they like the windows upgrades that leave lots of the old OS in place?
i always do a clean install rather than an upgrade as i dont want any of the old OS in a new build

catrancher
20-07-2011, 01:20 PM
$30 wow thats cheap.

question!! are the downloads, upgrades or full blown new operating systems? if upgrades are they like the windows upgrades that leave lots of the old OS in place?
i always do a clean install rather than an upgrade as i dont want any of the old OS in a new build

Prior to this upgrade, you could do it pretty much any way you wanted. Upgrade install, clean install, whatever. Since this one is coming over the wire rather than on physical media, I'm not sure how it's going to operate. Apple has announced this morning that if you want the upgrade on physical media, it'll be available in the Apple store in August on a USB stick for $69.99.

Once my download finishes, I'll let you know what options are available.

Tom (:macwave:... and he continues to wait...)

catrancher
20-07-2011, 01:24 PM
For anyone else who's interested in what this is all about, here's a review of the new Mac OS that we're talking about:

MacWorld Lion Review (http://www.macworld.com/article/161026/2011/07/osx_lion_review.html#lsrc.rss_main)

Tom (:macwave:... did I mention I'm waiting?)

ukwdwnut
20-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Prior to this upgrade, you could do it pretty much any way you wanted. Upgrade install, clean install, whatever. Since this one is coming over the wire rather than on physical media, I'm not sure how it's going to operate. Apple has announced this morning that if you want the upgrade on physical media, it'll be available in the Apple store in August on a USB stick for $69.99.

Once my download finishes, I'll let you know what options are available.

Tom (:macwave:... and he continues to wait...)

oh i see. how cheap are apple OS' in comparison to windows. just wish the kit was as cheap :lol:

thx for the info tom :)

catrancher
20-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Well... I'm now aboard Lion! :D

Upgrade went perfectly. No problems at all. Although I didn't have any option this time on the type of install I wanted to do. Just had to let it do it's thing. All seems to have worked just fine however.

Now, I've just got to get used to some new stuff...

Interesting... :brightidea:

Tom (:macwave:... exploring...)

keith
20-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Well... I'm now aboard Lion! :D

Upgrade went perfectly. No problems at all. Although I didn't have any option this time on the type of install I wanted to do. Just had to let it do it's thing. All seems to have worked just fine however.

Now, I've just got to get used to some new stuff...

Interesting... :brightidea:

Tom (:macwave:... exploring...)

yep all good here too!

I took the time to make the usb stick and booted off it just fine :)

catrancher
20-07-2011, 06:38 PM
yep all good here too!

I took the time to make the usb stick and booted off it just fine :)

I should have done the same. It appears that I've now lost that option. The Lion installer is no more once the upgrade is complete. Or so it appear.

Tom (:macwave:... woulda, shoulda, coulda...)

keith
20-07-2011, 06:41 PM
I should have done the same. It appears that I've now lost that option. The Lion installer is no more once the upgrade is complete. Or so it appear.

Tom (:macwave:... woulda, shoulda, coulda...)

yeah once installed it deletes the install file but of course it's freely downloadable again (just takes time!)

catrancher
20-07-2011, 06:49 PM
yeah once installed it deletes the install file but of course it's freely downloadable again (just takes time!)

Downloadable how? Through the app store? I haven't found how to do that yet. Course, I haven't looked either.

Tom(:macwave:... exploring...)

keith
20-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Downloadable how? Through the app store? I haven't found how to do that yet. Course, I haven't looked either.

Tom(:macwave:... exploring...)

I believe so! I believe that if you need it again you can download it however they may have been thinking that if you'd need it again it would be when on snow leopard to upgrade. So from lion perhaps it just says nope.

There's a recovery partition as well I notice, I wonder how much is in there.

For me, I've saved both the upgrade installer and made a usb boot stick for fresh installs. So on one 16GB stick I hope i've got all I need for Lion installs/upgrades

catrancher
20-07-2011, 10:27 PM
I believe so! I believe that if you need it again you can download it however they may have been thinking that if you'd need it again it would be when on snow leopard to upgrade. So from lion perhaps it just says nope.

Yep. Nope.

There's a recovery partition as well I notice, I wonder how much is in there.

Docs seem to indicate that you have to be inet connected when doing a reinstall from the recovery drive. I guess I'll explore tomorrow and see what I can find out.

For me, I've saved both the upgrade installer and made a usb boot stick for fresh installs. So on one 16GB stick I hope i've got all I need for Lion installs/upgrades

Smart you. :thumbsup:

Unlike me. :thumbsdown:

Tom(:macwave:... Wondering about this scrolling stuff...)

keith
20-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Tom(:macwave:... Wondering about this scrolling stuff...)

Ive put the scroll back to normal for now. I dont want to have to think when I'm moving between machines and operating systems.

I also miss the up/down arrows on the scroll bars.

catrancher
20-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Ive put the scroll back to normal for now. I dont want to have to think when I'm moving between machines and operating systems.

I also miss the up/down arrows on the scroll bars.

I agree.

But it's strange how scrolling can be so intuitive on the iPad and iPhone yet so foreign on the OS. :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... wrapping my mind around all this.)

keith
20-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I agree.

But it's strange how scrolling can be so intuitive on the iPad and iPhone yet so foreign on the OS. :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... wrapping my mind around all this.)

I think on the touch stuff we want to flick the screen up whereas with a mouse, we want to grab that scroll bar and pull IT to where the content we want to see is.

If everything were touch based, different matter

Im REALLY feeling this "everything will be ios soon" thing from Apple

catrancher
20-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Im REALLY feeling this "everything will be ios soon" thing from Apple

Yeppers!

Tom(:macwave:... hmmm...)

catrancher
21-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Oh Keef...

If you haven't yet, try navigating Safari using the track pad and gestures. :wiggle:

No more need for Mr. Back or Mr. Forward Button! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... this is getting to be fun...)

josh.p.
21-07-2011, 03:24 PM
ohohohoh! :wave: It is KILLING me that I can't have the new OS. The internet here is stupidly slow for a start but secondly I don't have a time machine drive with me! :slap:

Do you have to perform do a fresh install?

catrancher
21-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Do you have to perform do a fresh install?

You don't get a choice on the type of install. By default, it does an upgrade install and the only way to do a complete clean install is to start with a completely clean disk. Other than that, it's an update install only.

According to what I've read, you can take your laptop into the Apple Store and do the Lion install there. At least that's what I've heard.

Tom (:macwave:... it's pretty cool so far...)

keith
21-07-2011, 03:31 PM
yep theyve been saying if you dont want to download it come to the store and upgrade there :yes:

catrancher
21-07-2011, 03:32 PM

Oh Keith... looky what I found in an Apple Tech Note:

To redownload the installer on a computer running OS X Lion, press and hold the Option key while you click the Purchases tab. If the button to the right of the Install Mac OS X Lion item doesn't change to "Install" and allow you to download Lion, use Spotlight to search for "Install Mac OS X Lion" on your computer.

Tom (:macwave:... whew...)

keith
21-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Oh Keith... looky what I found in an Apple Tech Note:

Tom (:macwave:... whew...)

ooo now thats a good find!!!!! :yes:

catrancher
21-07-2011, 03:49 PM
ooo now thats a good find!!!!! :yes:

And... it works! :D

Tom (:macwave:... who will keep it in a safe place...)

josh.p.
21-07-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm just going to wait until I'm home because I would rather back up everything first :yes:

Tink
22-07-2011, 01:32 AM
:mental: :mental: :mental:

WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!! :wiggle::yes:

catrancher
22-07-2011, 10:25 AM
:mental: :mental: :mental:

WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!! :wiggle::yes:

:mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental::mental: :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... waits patiently...)

keith
22-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm going to stick my mac book air for sale as well to get the new one. Although there's not that much difference, the backlit keyboard is good for me since I'm primarily nocturnal :lol:

Tink
23-07-2011, 07:55 PM
AND SHE'S HOME!!!!! :mental: This is an incredible machine! :yes:

Mac Air 13... we love it!

We want to go back for ANOTHER ONE!!!! LOLOLOLOL.

Ok. This is so rude, but I have to say it, I just have to! This Mac Air is better than sex! :redface: (Well. It is). :sorry:

keith
23-07-2011, 08:03 PM
AND SHE'S HOME!!!!! :mental: This is an incredible machine! :yes:

Mac Air 13... we love it!

We want to go back for ANOTHER ONE!!!! LOLOLOLOL.

Ok. This is so rude, but I have to say it, I just have to! This Mac Air is better than sex! :redface: (Well. It is). :sorry:

OMG!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

Isn't it just THE BEST??!?!?!?! 128GB? 256GB? tell us ALL!!!!!!

catrancher
23-07-2011, 10:08 PM
:worship:

You done good! Only problem is... now you will need two of them!

Like Keith said, how big? 128? 256? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... Mission Control... we have an updated user!)

Tink
24-07-2011, 12:11 AM

I seriously liked the 11 inch though too. It's wicked cute and I don't mind the smaller screen at all. Herself does, so the 13 is good for her.

The place was JAMMED with people. We went to Millennia.

Oh, and Herself got one of those magic mouse things... :unsure: I'll stick with the track pad. :D

So, computing life is good again. :mental:

keith
24-07-2011, 12:24 AM

Really excellent choice :yes: not so long ago, you'd be paying more than you paid for the whole computer just for a 256GB SSD!

I seriously liked the 11 inch though too. It's wicked cute and I don't mind the smaller screen at all. Herself does, so the 13 is good for her.

the 11inch is apparently the one they have high hopes for to be the biggest seller but it's too tiny for me. I need the 13 :yes:

Oh, and Herself got one of those magic mouse things... :unsure: I'll stick with the track pad. :D

So, computing life is good again. :mental:

Absolutely brilliant, may it bring you both many happy years of trouble free computing :yes: