PDA

View Full Version : How do people save for Disney?

disney1sttimer
03-08-2008, 01:27 PM
What do you do to save for Disney?

We have a large money jar that we put any change into
The kids wash cars and do extra chores for disney dollars which arent proper one but little credit notes we give them which we change to proper dollars when we get there
We also ebay anything we can find including things from car boot sales

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 01:29 PM
just save our hard earned cash, nothing special to make more money

Dawn
03-08-2008, 01:38 PM
With difficulty. :sigh;

We have a change jar. We save every penny we can but something always comes along like a car service. That's why it's taking us 7 years. :lol:

I recently set up a new bank account specifically for a Disney fund. I've already got enough for a new passport. :D

I need some ideas please.

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I recently set up a new bank account specifically for a Disney fund. I've already got enough for a new passport. :D

and thats taken you how long :D

Dawn
03-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Not telling. :gy:

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Not telling. :gy:

well :fingers: crossed you have more than enough for when you go, we have gone without for over year now for this trip but worth every sacrifice

Dorothy
03-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I try to take a certain amount out of each paycheck and stash it away if I can. To he honest sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I do try. We also have a change jar that we throw money into and try not to touch it.

I wish I could figure out some stuff to sell on e-bay, but I so can't think of anything :shrug:

SleepinCatz
03-08-2008, 01:47 PM
That would be us too lol. save change....plus we have a savings account dedicated to "play" so by the time we can book our trip in 2010 we will have more than enough. we make a certain deposit amount out of every paycheck into it :)

Dawn
03-08-2008, 01:48 PM
I buy a lottery ticket each week too but I can't recommend that as a foolproof method of saving. :lol:

Johnie
03-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I buy AP's with my tax return. That is the biggest expense for us.

I have a change jar, that adds up pretty quickly. Any rebate checks, work reimbursements, etc go in there as well. I also put a portion of my paycheck into an ING account that I can't touch easily.

SleepinCatz
03-08-2008, 01:56 PM
you have a point there Johnie..never thought of that.....hmmmm

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I buy a lottery ticket each week too but I can't recommend that as a foolproof method of saving. :lol:

oh to live stateside to save costs. just a minimum trip for us costs around $10k

Johnie
03-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't think I would ever get to go if I lived in the UK (or anywhere else abroad) :(

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't think I would ever get to go if I lived in the UK (or anywhere else abroad) :(

why?

Johnie
03-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Well 10K is a LOT of money. I can't imagine that I would ever be able to save that to go on a trip.

keith
03-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Well 10K is a LOT of money. I can't imagine that I would ever be able to save that to go on a trip.

yeah it's a heck of a lot of money and getting worse with the airlines too.

The thing is, with the exchange rate, it can still work out better than going to Disney paris.

If the exchange rate ever took a dive though hmmmm

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 02:17 PM

but wages reflect the cost of living here, well it used to, not so much now with everything going thru the roof. but i guess you guys earn less there, butr the cost of living is much much less, even a gallon of gas must be around $9 here

Britchick
03-08-2008, 02:21 PM
not everything is cheaper in the US, electricity and water were certainly a lot more expensive.

i tend to buy things towards the holiday each month as we always diy- i save for flights then get car hire, spending money etc.

SleepinCatz
03-08-2008, 02:25 PM
yeesh....no more complaining from us about the amount we save to go lol

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 02:43 PM
yeesh....no more complaining from us about the amount we save to go lol

but we do have further to come mikie so will always cost more

ok brit thx. i always thought it was so much cheaper wherever you lived stateside

Johnie
03-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Oh no. The cost of living can vary greatly depending on where you live in the US. NYC for example is extremely expensive. What someone pays for rent for essentially a closet would get you a ginormous house here.

Isafari
03-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Every spare penny we have at the end of each month goes to pay for our disney holiday....no special ways to save etc, just work hard so we can play harder at the end of each year.

Dizneyblonde
03-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I just book it and hope for the best!!!

Taja
03-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Apart from the change jar--and it's more a convenience than official savings--nothing special. I used to sell stuff on e-Bay, but it's become more of a pain than not in the last two years. Not to mention having sold most things that could be shipped! :lol:

Basically, just saving as much as possible and cutting a few things when possible. Using the library instead of buying books, and that sort of thing. Not a huge chunk of money, but it helps!

The house has become greedy the past two years and most of my money is going into it. It keep having crises--which I do not appreciate! :rolleyes008:

Tinker
04-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Ebay , I hit yard sales, thrift stores flea markets and have a grand old time . I LoVe watching my Paypal account increase . And I also have a change jar , rebates,change, winning scratch offs .

Rosie0610
04-08-2008, 03:49 PM
For me it's easy :) I send DH to work at his second job as a bartender!! He can pay off our vacation in 3 weeks time if he applies himself!

Debbie2
04-08-2008, 03:54 PM
When I was working I used to use my profit sharing and annual bonus - ah those were the days
We book with VH and then I divide the balance by the number of weeks till we have to have paid and then pay them that amount each week by direct debit to VH.

Yeah I could save it myself in an account and earn a measly amount of interest but from past experience have found that I am not so strict and have dipped into it. At least this way I know it is paid and out the way.

Disneybumble
04-08-2008, 03:59 PM
I just book it and hope for the best!!!

Love it DB.

When I was working I used to use my profit sharing and annual bonus - ah those were the days :sigh:

We book with VH and then I divide the balance by the number of weeks till we have to have paid and then pay them that amount each week by direct debit to VH.

Yeah I could save it myself in an account and earn a measly amount of interest but from past experience have found that I am not so strict and have dipped into it. At least this way I know it is paid and out the way.

What a good idea Debbie. But as we book DIY we don't have that option. It's always flight money upfront.

Dizneyblonde
04-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I am paying bit by bit off on my flydrive and am buying tickets etc month by month.

Am going to borrow the rest from the kids building society accounts(i put it in in the first place) if i can't pay for it all and pay it off when we get back.

Claire
04-08-2008, 04:05 PM
We put my carer's allowance and DS's DLA away every month. We figured Owen doesn't go without at any time so he doesn't miss his DLA!

Dizneyblonde
04-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Oh yes and i save the CB every month too!!

lisaw
04-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Dh has so many different jobs on top of his day job and that is how we pay for Disney. Earlier this year I worked for a couple of months so because I wasn't used to earning I put it straight into my disney account :D On top of that I save 20p and 50p pieces - it's amazing how quickly they add up :p015:

The Blue Fairy
24-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Well at the moment all we have is a change jar, but we're not allowed to put anything other than 1 or 2 coins in it :D

Isafari
24-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Well at the moment all we have is a change jar, but we're not allowed to put anything other than 1 or 2 coins in it :D

ooh......how much do you reckon's in there so far then? Enough for the flight or just enough for a Mickey Bar :lol:

The Blue Fairy
24-08-2008, 10:11 PM
ooh......how much do you reckon's in there so far then? Enough for the flight or just enough for a Mickey Bar :lol:

Sadly, probably only enough for a couple of dole whips :lol: but it all adds up! We'll get there...eventually!

Isafari
24-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Sadly, probably only enough for a couple of dole whips :lol: but it all adds up! We'll get there...eventually!

Of course you will...unless you've been saving for three years for those dole whips :lol:

The Blue Fairy
24-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Of course you will...unless you've been saving for three years for those dole whips :lol:

I'm not saying a word ;)

Isafari
24-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm not saying a word ;)

:hug2: