View Full Version : Fort Wilderness Camping

03-08-2011, 12:02 AM
I had the opportunity to stay with good friends this past weekend at Fort Wilderness at their campsite. It was the most pampered camping experience I've ever had. LOL!

First of all, their campsite had water, sewer, and electrical hook-ups. Their pop-up camper had air-conditioning (which ran ALL the time) so it was comfortable staying there in this 90+ degree heat! Each campsite also has a BBQ grill and a small picnic table.

Each camping loop has restroom facilities for those campers that do not have showers & toilets. The "Comfort Station" was always clean. In the women's there was 4 lavoratories & 4 showers. The showers reminded me of the dorm where inside the door there is a changing area and then a curtained-off shower area. You need a room key to get in the Comfort Stations between 11pm and 6am. There was also a laundry facility.

Buses are provided around the loops that connect to the main amenity area. You can connect there to busses to the other parks and resorts. You can also take a boat to either Wilderness Lodge & Contemporary resort or to the Magic Kingdom.
There was a "boat parade" that came up to the dock just before Wishes (which you can see from the beach area - and they pipe the music there, too!

There is also a dog park area, swimming pool, horse corral for horseback rides, boat rental, a cafeteria, and the Hoop-De-Doo Revue.

You can rent golf carts to ride around on or you can bring your own. There were also a lot of people riding bikes or scooters.

I thought it was a great alternative. They accomodate everything from pop-up tents to full-sized fancy RV's. If you're the adventurous type, give it a try!