PDA

View Full Version : Bought an Airbook - shock

ieuanr
04-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Howdy everybody!

Long time away - hope everyone is well?

So I've bought an Airbook to see what all of the fuss is about :thumbsup:

Umm - it's nice for browsing the web - but why do people rave about them?

How do you right click on this touchpad thingy?

I thought Mac was supposed to be the greatest for creative things - like home movies - so i plug in the memory card from my Sony video camera - fire up iMovie .... it can't read the files from my camera. Boo - my PC reads them fine. :yes:

Can you fill me in - what am I missing?

keith
04-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Do you REAAALLLLLLY wanna know or is it just another wind up the poor Apple people :point: because if you want some reasons why it appeals subjectively to an increasingly large number of people then I'm sure we'll be happy to help :D

Apple has always tried to stay away from NEEDING a right click on accessibility grounds however you can, as I do, set it up so that touching the trackpad with two fingers instead of one gives a right click. After using it for a while, I actually far prefer it to an actual right click button and miss it when I use a windows laptop.

The macbook air itself is a thing of beauty IMHO. Small, thin, nice fast SSD. It's pulling me away from my trusty 15" macbook pro which I've loved for years :(

Seriously though, macosx is just different from windows. Windows 7 is in itself the best Microsoft they've yet done so the gap is narrower than it's ever been. Some people will prefer Macosx some will prefer windows 7 and zealotism aside, both now do the same things really well :)

ieuanr
04-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi Keith - thanks for replying

No wind up - I was enjoying a little light hearted leg pulling before - as Apple gets far too much it's own way - just my $0.02

The Macbook Air is indeed a thing of great beauty and seduced me - I was going to get an Ipad but I thought for some more money I could get a proper computer - so I did.

The start up is great - turn it on and it's there - although when you install some software - that slows quite a bit. I have a similar spec Wintel machine with SSD and Windows 7 which takes about 15 secs longer to boot.

I am struggling to see how it is massively better than Windows to be honest - I work with the nuts and bolts of these things day in day out - so I understand why the OS starts better etc

It just seems to be little quirks seperating the two.

The mousepad right click thing is in the System Prefs I guess.

Can you make the windows full screen each time they open?

Not knocking anybody - just curious

ieuanr
04-08-2011, 08:14 PM
OK - I've worked out the full screen thing - downloading Lion now!

foreverducky
04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
After a small adjustment period I fell in love with my iMac (which I bought in June). I'm still learning though. I need to become better with iPhoto.

keith
04-08-2011, 10:04 PM
No wind up - I was enjoying a little light hearted leg pulling before - as Apple gets far too much it's own way - just my $0.02

No-one's paying us yah know? ;-) so we must see something in it!

The start up is great - turn it on and it's there - although when you install some software - that slows quite a bit. I have a similar spec Wintel machine with SSD and Windows 7 which takes about 15 secs longer to boot.

See I must admit I've not noticed a tangible MACOSX slowdown when you install more apps although I definitely have on windows. Weird! And I'm yet to see a wintel machine that matches the air although not looked in the last few months.

I am struggling to see how it is massively better than Windows to be honest - I work with the nuts and bolts of these things day in day out - so I understand why the OS starts better etc

perception and personal choice I suppose. I'm a macosx whinger, I moan about little things but overall, I see it as the better system nowadays. However, windows 7 is great and I now see the choice as between a bmw and a merc. They're both great but some like one over the other.

Ill leave others to say what they like :) then I'll maybe kick in a few likes and dislikes too!

Tink
05-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Wow! You bought an Air? :mental:

We just got one too. :yes: You are going to love it once you learn the ins and outs. It's a beautiful machine.

It takes some adjusting (and we are already Mac-ites) :D

It took asking the clerk to figure out how to scroll...

Once you start though, things get easy and fast, fast, fast.

It's so good to see you again. :hug2: (Now, how about practicing posting some photos of your girls)? :D

ieuanr
05-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks Tink & Keith

It's a lovely machine - I just cannot see why people say 'Wow - they are so much better than a PC'

I've put Photoshop Elements on and Office and it has certainly impacted the boot time.

keith
05-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks Tink & Keith

It's a lovely machine - I just cannot see why people say 'Wow - they are so much better than a PC'

I've put Photoshop Elements on and Office and it has certainly impacted the boot time.

I logically can't imagine why some files in the applications directory would impact the boot time unless it's added stuff to the autorun bit. but I have a new macbook air sitting here (not mine sadly) that Im setting up so I'll try it.

Sure you can see why some people say that ;-) same way some people say OMG I'd NEVER have another BMW after this Mercedes its SOOOOO much better. Personal preferences mainly

ieuanr
05-08-2011, 06:55 PM
I know what you mean Keith - I was just hoping maybe I had missed something.

The new gestures work well in Lion though.

The slowdown is probably due to all the gizmos that Office loads at startup