PDA

View Full Version : Help - Medication into US

Wendy
11-08-2011, 11:07 AM
I've been taking a new strong medication for a few months now to help with the pain and it just crossed my mind whilst talking with Keith, that I might not be able to take it into the US :unsure:

It's called Tramadol and I think it is part of the opiate/morphine group of drugs and I don't know if it is a controlled substance.

Does anyone know or has anyone taken it into the US and did you have to declare it?

catrancher
11-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Ok Wendy,

A bit of quick research from this side of the pond. First, here's a link to the US Customs and Border Protection Visitor Guide (http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/publications/travel/welcome2us.ctt/welcome2us.pdf). Note that there's a section on bringing various medications into the country. Of course, the URL's they reference in there take you to pages that no longer exist. But by plowing around on the US Food and Drug Administration website, I found this (http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ImportProgram/ucm173743.htm).Checking further, it appears (at least to my mind) that you can bring drugs in that are approved for use in the US. So, that search took me to here (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm) where I searched for your "Tramadol". From there, it appears that there are several "flavors" of Tramadol. I'd suggest looking them over to see if the one you're taking is on one of those lists. If it is, it appears to me that you'd have a pretty good argument for bringing it in with you under the following restrictions:

In it's own container that it was prescribed in.
In quantities that are consistent with the amount of time you're going to be here.
You properly declare it.

Of course, I could be wrong. Your mileage may vary. But it's a start.

Tom (:macwave:... how ridiculously complicated!)

Wendy
11-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Wow, thank you Tom, it's certainly complicated over there :lol: they don't make it easy to find out anything do they.

I've looked at the list and they have the tramadol hydrochloride 50mg tablets that I take, but obviously the manufacturer is different.

I might stop taking it, the last thing I want when we arrive is a load of hassle at customs and if for some reason they won't let me keep it, I'll have problems :( If I stop now, slowly, then it will hopefully be out of my system by the time I get there. I'll just have to manage without them and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't get too bad.

I did think about calling the airline, but they won't have a clue :rolleyes:

catrancher
11-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I might stop taking it, the last thing I want when we arrive is a load of hassle at customs and if for some reason they won't let me keep it, I'll have problems :( If I stop now, slowly, then it will hopefully be out of my system by the time I get there.

That may be the best approach. I did some more research and came up with this page (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/medication_drugs.xml). Note the bold quote on the page:

Thus, in virtually all instances, individual citizens are prohibited from importing prescription drugs into the United States.

Good grief! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... let's complicate things so nobody can figure it out!)

Wendy
11-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Oh heck it gets worse :lol: I've never had any problems with my other meds :shrug:

I've sent an email to TSA - whether they can answer the question or get back to me is another matter.

I phoned the airline and they have told me to contact the embassy - very helpful aren't they :rolleyes:

Poohtle
11-08-2011, 02:42 PM
I am taking some stronger medication and have been looking at it for a while. As long as your medication is in the original container with your name on it and you only have enough for your stay you have no problem. Either take a copy of your prescription or get your doctor to write a letter confirming your holiday dates and medication. As I will have 8 weeks worth I am getting a letter.

I took 7 weeks worth of Tramadol last holiday and just had a copy of my prescription. Nobody asked anything.

If you are going for 3 months, or will have 3 months worth of the medication then you will need a personal licence(to take them out of the country) but I guess that wouldn't be applicable.:smile:

There should be no problem at all

uscwest
11-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Wendy, for starters you are not "importing" the drug to the US. If it is a prescription drug, lawfully written by a physician and as Tom said, you bring it purely for you own use and in quantities consistent with your stay you will have no problems. The manufacturer of the drug has no bearing. Just make sure it is in its original bottle and you may want to bring a copy of your prescription with you. Most likely you won't even be asked the question.

Kate
11-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Could they really stop you from taking it into any country if its on a prescription to you? That doesnt seem right? :unsure:

Mari
11-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi Wendy !

Ive taken lots of strong meds into the US... I have only been asked about them once... they usually never stop you because of meds, but in case they do, jus tbe sure to have a doctor's note with you, explaining what you are taking, and the dosage, and only take with you the dosage you will use during your stay (that way they KNOW you wont be selling it)

Britchick
11-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Wendy if your pain is such that you need tramadol then please take it with you:yes: you don't want to be in pain on holiday. just take your prescription and put it in your hand luggage, they may well not even know it's there :hug2:

catrancher
11-08-2011, 07:31 PM
just take your prescription and put it in your hand luggage, they may well not even know it's there :hug2:

I really wouldn't recommend that course of action. :unsure:

But that's just me.

Tom (:macwave:... rulez...)

Wendy
11-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Thank you all so much :hug2:

I always take other prescribed meds with me in my hand luggage and I have always had my repeat prescription slip, to show that they are from my doctor.

I've only been taking Tramadol for about 5 months and I was just concerned that I might have problems because of the group of drugs it is in.

Thankfully you've put my mind at rest :hug2: :hug2: I've been getting myself in a right old tizzy about it, panicking that I'd have to stop and then I wouldn't be able to do anything on holiday.

All I need to do now is calm down and stop panicking :rolleyes: easier said than done though :sigh:

Britchick
11-08-2011, 08:28 PM
I really wouldn't recommend that course of action. :unsure:

But that's just me.

Tom (:macwave:... rulez...)

Neither would I if it were a controlled drug (at least here) but I don't believe it is, been a while since I gave out drugs!

Wendy have a look at this link, tramadol isn't on there and it gives you contact details if you need to

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_InfoGuides&id=HMCE_CL_001589&propertyType=document

Wendy
11-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Thank you Julie :hug2: I'll have a look.

Johnie
11-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Keep it in the container given by the pharmacy and bring a prescription or letter from your dr and you should be fine. I have allergy drops that the allergist mixes up for me. I don't even take it out of my carryon nor do I tell them about it and I have yet to be questioned about it.

ukwdwnut
12-08-2011, 12:11 AM
i liaised with VA with mine, they got their boys to look into it for me and it was ok. everything was in its original packets, philes etc as some was liquid and sealed.

wait til i go next they'll have a fit of the bag full of stuff ive got to take for two weeks, it was bad enough when i went to scotland last year for a week

mind you i might not be on any drugs by the time i go next, who knows

Tinkfan
12-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Ok Wendy,

A bit of quick research from this side of the pond. First, here's a link to the US Customs and Border Protection Visitor Guide (http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/publications/travel/welcome2us.ctt/welcome2us.pdf). Note that there's a section on bringing various medications into the country. Of course, the URL's they reference in there take you to pages that no longer exist. But by plowing around on the US Food and Drug Administration website, I found this (http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ImportProgram/ucm173743.htm).Checking further, it appears (at least to my mind) that you can bring drugs in that are approved for use in the US. So, that search took me to here (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm) where I searched for your "Tramadol". From there, it appears that there are several "flavors" of Tramadol. I'd suggest looking them over to see if the one you're taking is on one of those lists. If it is, it appears to me that you'd have a pretty good argument for bringing it in with you under the following restrictions:
In it's own container that it was prescribed in.
In quantities that are consistent with the amount of time you're going to be here.
You properly declare it.

Of course, I could be wrong. Your mileage may vary. But it's a start.

Tom (:macwave:... how ridiculously complicated!)
make sure you have a Doctors order with his/her signature on an official script along with the rest of what Catrancher said!

mainecoon lover
15-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Wendy. Beth take two controlled drugs and other medications. We have never been asked about them or had any problem. Make sure you get a letter from your GP or consultant explaining why you take them. Please do not just stop taking them as most drugs you need to be weaned off and you need to enjoy your holiday pain free. Security once said to us they are more bothered with herbal drugs than prescription medication. As said keep in original labeled bottles and carry as hand luggage. We have separate bag for medication and I promise never been quizzed about them :hug2: