PDA

View Full Version : Where would you all suggest...

Isafari
17-08-2011, 02:27 AM
for anywhere from 5 to 7 days for a holiday in the USA?
We were chatting in the car on the way back from BG tonight and we really fancy a week elsewhere in America before a long stay in Florida next summer.

I was originally thinking of New York but we actually bumped into a friend in BG and went to dinner with her. She said that New York is mega expensive. If this is correct then it would be out.

The plan would be to fly from the UK to another destination, then on to Florida to finish the holiday.

Johnie
17-08-2011, 04:38 AM
Several questions. What are your interests? What time of year would you be traveling?

If you are interested in history, nothing beats Washington DC. All of the museums are free

My wonderful state of Virginia has toms of history, nature, mountains, oceans. We have it all. Plus I'm here.

NYC is nice but it certainly can be pricey.

I've always wanted to spend some time in St Augustine.

And I've always wanted to go to New Orleans

Shellyamc
17-08-2011, 05:51 AM
I agree with Johnie - what are you interested in?

-Do you want to see the Fall colors of Upstate NY? ( oh come on - I had to try!)

-What about the Grand Canyon?

-What about heading up into Canada and seeing Niagara Falls :yes: (not USA, but oh so close :) )

-Skiing in Vermont?

- I know there is a big cat rescue in Wisconsin :D

Deafjeff
17-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Miami which is south Florida?

I really enjoyed my time at Washington DC :yes:

Wendy
17-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I have no idea how much it would cost (probably be expensive :( ), but what about a week in LA - (fly from Heathrow) - and you can visit Disneyland :unsure: it is smaller than WDW and you would only need 2 or 3 days probably. DTD is amazing, so much better than WDW.

There is also San Diego Sea World - which is much better than Orlando I think - or San Diego Zoo.

San Francisco (Gatwick) is brilliant and you and Dave would love Yosemite :yes:

Vegas (Manchester) was different, we didn't like it, but it is an experience - mid week the prices can be quite low. You could always fly into Vegas and then go on to somewhere else, the Grand Canyon was amazing, we did a helicopter tour at sunrise. There is also Hoover Dam, Monument Valley and Death Valley. It will be very hot though, skin tingling hot - without the humidity.

From Manchester you can fly to:

Atlanta - Delta

Charlotte Douglas - US Airways

Chicago O’Hare - American Airlines

Fort Lauderdale - Delta

Las Vegas Mc-Carran - Virgin Atlantic and Delta

New York JFK American Airlines, Delta

New York Newark Continental Airlines

Philadelphia US Airways

As the others have said though, it depends on what you really like or would want to do.

foreverducky
17-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I would love to go back to DC. I haven't been in more years than I can count. And I would thoroughly enjoy all the museums, which we didn't do when I was younger.

But again, it depends on the type of vacation you want.

Kate
17-08-2011, 10:32 AM
New York in the autumn would be wonderful, id love to visit at that time of year. They have the big zoo in central park too - oh and Buddys cake shop, the cakes on there look absolutely aaaaammmmaaazing!!!

uscwest
17-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Several questions. What are your interests? What time of year would you be traveling?

If you are interested in history, nothing beats Washington DC. All of the museums are free

My wonderful state of Virginia has toms of history, nature, mountains, oceans. We have it all. Plus I'm here.

Unfortunately not ALL of the museums are free any longer. The NEWSEUM is actually quite expensive. The Smithsonian is still free but if you wish to visit the Udvar Hazy Air And Space Museum out near Dulles Airport there is a rather hefty parking fee. I also think their may be a fee at the Holocaust Museum.

I do agree with Johnie though about visiting the DC area. There is SO MUCH history here.

catrancher
17-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Don't forget the Smoky Mountains area. Asheville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and of course, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Tom (:macwave:... it's a thought...)

catrancher
17-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Ohhh... just had another thought.

Why not peek at the itineraries offered by Adventures by Disney (http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/region?name=NorthAmericaOverviewPage).

Not necessarily to use their service (since they sound quite expensive!) but look at the places they're going and things they're doing.

Just sayin...

Tom (:macwave:... the Mid-Atlantic one looks good!)

DisneyFreak
17-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Don't forget the Smoky Mountains area. Asheville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and of course, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Tom (:macwave:... it's a thought...)

To which I will have pictures of for all in about a month. :yes:

DisneyFreak
17-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Might I suggest The Black Hills of South Dakota (Mount Rushmore) and then a drive over to Yellowstone National Park with a stop at Devil's Tower (used in the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind) in between.

Mari
17-08-2011, 04:13 PM
umm.. well, off the top of my head New York (even if its expensive I think its worth it), Boston, Chicago, New Orleans, Vegas

chief
17-08-2011, 05:48 PM
i am a huge dolly parton fan so i would like to go to tennesse, the grand ole oprey and all that :yes:

catrancher
17-08-2011, 06:16 PM
i am a huge dolly parton fan so i would like to go to tennesse, the grand ole oprey and all that :yes:

Don't forget, the Grand Ole Opry is in Nashville (music city). :guitar2:

Quite a distance from any of these other places. But still a very nice place to go.

Tom(:macwave:... at least since they cleaned up after the flood!)

Speedstertv
17-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Hi:

If you get a chance to head towards the Pacific Northwest, I highly recommend the San Juan Islands, Vancouver in Canada and just about anywhere else in the USA!

Tink
18-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Oh my gosh.

NEW YORK. How can you NOT go to NYC? Manhattan, the Village, Staten Island Ferry, Statue of Liberty... where is Butterhead?!

Go Issy. You can do NYC without spending a fortune. That's the beauty of the city. Anything at any price... that doesn't mean, break the bank.

It's one of those must see before you die places. :yes: (Yeah, I DO love NY).

Johnie
18-08-2011, 01:08 AM
With NYC, you can get some phenomenal deals with Priceline and Travelzoo. Most hotels in NYC will only come with one bed, Just and FYI for people who need or want more than one bed.

Johnie
18-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Unfortunately not ALL of the museums are free any longer. The NEWSEUM is actually quite expensive. The Smithsonian is still free but if you wish to visit the Udvar Hazy Air And Space Museum out near Dulles Airport there is a rather hefty parking fee. I also think their may be a fee at the Holocaust Museum.

I do agree with Johnie though about visiting the DC area. There is SO MUCH history here.

Oops good catch! I meant to say all of the Smithsonian museums are free :thumbsup:

Tinkfan
18-08-2011, 02:27 AM
:wave:Thats the best thing about the States, we are soo diverse!So much to see and do, mountains, rivers, oceans ,warm cold and all temps inbetween! The fine arts, sports, shopping. What do you like to do?

DisneyFreak
18-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Dollywood is in Pigeon Forge, TN just about 30 minutes south of Knoxville.

Dawn
18-08-2011, 12:44 PM
San Diego :worship:

chief
18-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Don't forget, the Grand Ole Opry is in Nashville (music city). :guitar2:

Quite a distance from any of these other places. But still a very nice place to go.

Tom(:macwave:... at least since they cleaned up after the flood!)
im guessing a bit of a road trip?:unsure:

catrancher
18-08-2011, 03:24 PM
im guessing a bit of a road trip?:unsure:

Yeppers. Probably about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from the Pigeon Forge/Dollywood area to Nashville.

Tom (:macwave:... still likes Nashville!)

uscwest
18-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Yeppers. Probably about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from the Pigeon Forge/Dollywood area to Nashville.

Tom (:macwave:... still likes Nashville!) 211 miles 3 hrs 32 mins according to Google Maps

daveann
18-08-2011, 04:03 PM
yellowstone, san fransisco and san diego + rockies in canada :)

Isafari
19-08-2011, 02:02 AM
:hug2: thank you all for all the suggestions. We will look through this thread when we get back home at the weekend and look the places up you've mentioned. Any more ideas are very welcome,

It will be just the two of us. Not into museums much. As you all know, I love animals and DH isn't far behind me on that. Looking for somewhere that will entertain for at least 3 days up to a week. We like to be kept busy (not into pool or beach time much) Love live shows/musicals. DH is interested in Niagra Falls, Yellowstone, but then what.....needs to be enough activity in the area to keep us entertained.

New York isn't totally out if we could get an amazing deal.

Dawn
19-08-2011, 07:37 AM
OK San Diego is on the west coast so it's a trek and the airport quite frankly is terrifying :thud: but...

Sea World
San Diego Zoo - possibly the best I've seen anywhere
San Diego Wildlife Park
Harbour
Old Town
Ride the trolley over the gairy bridge to Coronado.
Ride the trolley across the border to Tijuana
Balboa Park
2 hours from Disneyland
The climate is perfect
BA fly direct from Heathrow

Have I sold it to you yet because I've just sold it to myself. :point:

Wendy
19-08-2011, 08:29 AM
:Iagree:

It is lovely :yes:

uscwest
19-08-2011, 11:38 AM
OK San Diego is on the west coast so it's a trek and the airport quite frankly is terrifying :thud: but...

Sea World
San Diego Zoo - possibly the best I've seen anywhere
San Diego Wildlife Park
Harbour
Old Town
Ride the trolley over the gairy bridge to Coronado.
Ride the trolley across the border to Tijuana
Balboa Park
2 hours from Disneyland
The climate is perfect
BA fly direct from Heathrow

Have I sold it to you yet because I've just sold it to myself. :point:Given all the problems going on in Mexico with drug cartels right now I might want to stay away from Tijuana.

DisneyFreak
19-08-2011, 01:17 PM
It will be just the two of us. Not into museums much. As you all know, I love animals and DH isn't far behind me on that. Looking for somewhere that will entertain for at least 3 days up to a week. We like to be kept busy (not into pool or beach time much) Love live shows/musicals. DH is interested in Niagra Falls, Yellowstone, but then what.....needs to be enough activity in the area to keep us entertained.

Then I really think you would enjoy doing this:

Might I suggest The Black Hills of South Dakota (Mount Rushmore) and then a drive over to Yellowstone National Park with a stop at Devil's Tower (used in the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind) in between.

Animals everywhere from Prairie Dogs popping their heads out of their holes to Gray Wolves, Moose, Elk, Bear and many more.

These three stops will keep you busy for a whole week without question!