PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Mums

josh.p.
04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I need to buy my sister a present for the baby and a little something for her...

I want to get her the right thing, so I need to ask some questions..

firstly, what was the WORST pregnancy/baby gift you got?
Secondly, What gift DIDN'T you get that would have been very handy?
Thirdly, did you prefer the sensible presents (bottle sterilisers, changing mats) or did you prefer the cute-baby type presents (Teddys, blankies)

Hopefully I can pick something perfect

I saw some designer-type baby bags and I might get her one of those. They have bottle holders, changing mats and PVC diaper compartments in, but they look like designer handbags!

Josh

SleepinCatz
04-08-2008, 09:30 PM
The best gift ever was an inflatable baby bath. Since getting that one I give them to all Mommies to be...lol I find the ones shaped like rubber duckies. They have suction cups to hold them in blace and a spot that let's mommie know if the water temp is too hot. It is so much easier to carry that around when travelling than the hard ones. Worst gift for me was 8 silver banks...Mommy needs diapers, clothes, bottles...not 8 silver banks lol.

Best thing to do about bottles though is ask your Mom to find out what kind she wants. Not all bottles are the same. The things you need the most are diapers, diaper wipes and onesies.

Britchick
04-08-2008, 09:32 PM
i personally wouldn't buy a bag because if she's anything like a lot of ladies she will want everything to match. I am sure that anything you buy her or the baby will be gratefully recieved. Why don't you buy something cute and disney for the baby?

Ursula
04-08-2008, 09:35 PM
and lots of all in one suits of different sizes because the lil babes grow every flippin' week! A car baby seat would be a good gift... Mums tend to like to choose their own pram and bedding sets for the baby as they know what style they like. Maybe some Mothercare vouchers to help with the cost towards the big expensive items?

Claire
04-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I know it's probably a little early for this Josh but one thing you could think about is buying a few daily papers on the day baby is born. Makes fascinating reading for when baby is older. For now how about a book of baby names?

Dawn
05-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Worst present I had was stretch mark cream. :mad:

Best gifts I had were all the sensible things. Packs of nappies, basics like bodysuits - a new baby will go through 4 a day, sometimes more. And you can never have to many wipes. :D

Have a look on the Mothercare website. They have lists of what a newborn baby needs.

Claire
05-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Worst present I had was stretch mark cream. :mad:

Best gifts I had were all the sensible things. Packs of nappies, basics like bodysuits - a new baby will go through 4 a day, sometimes more. And you can never have to many wipes. :D

Have a look on the Mothercare website. They have lists of what a newborn baby needs.

I'll take that stretch mark cream if you've still got it!

Dawn
05-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Think it went to the charity shop. :lol:

mumof2
05-08-2008, 08:17 AM
hmmm, i agree that the pram, changing bag, bedding etc is a personal choice.

i can't think of a 'worst' pesent, and we got pretty much everything we needed via family, friends and work colleagues - you know things like the baby bath, top 'n' tail bowl, steriliser, baby monitor, shawls, blankets......the list is endless!

all in one baby gro's are good, i had some lovely ones which were the same design in the 1st 3 sizes as they grow out of them so quickly! Might be an idea to get 0-3 months rather than newborn size - you never know how big bubba is going to be!

perhaps it would be a good idea to get Mum-to-be to make a list then choose from that Josh, that way you know your present will be just what she wants.

You could maybe get a keepsake for baby, like a globe or other ornament and maybe a piece of jewellery for Mum....

oooh i just remembered i got some lovely bath bubbles to pamper myself when i got the chance (which wasn't often!)

Dawn
05-08-2008, 08:20 AM
yeah good point, Steven was in the "newborn" size for 1 day. :lol: We borrowed that stuff from my brother and his wife. If you get clothing get 0-3 or even 3-6 months.

And of course Uncle Josh will be getting neice/nephew their very own Disney share. :wink:

mumof2
05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
yeah good point, Steven was in the "newborn" size for 1 day. :lol: We borrowed that stuff from my brother and his wife. If you get clothing get 0-3 or even 3-6 months.

And of course Uncle Josh will be getting neice/nephew their very own Disney share. :wink:

1st DS just about fit into his stuff for 5 minutes when he was born, 2nd DS didn't even fit into the clothing we'd bought into hospital so DH had to rush back home to get some bigger stuff, while poor bubby was wrapped in a horrible hard blanket :oops:

Grammiepo
05-08-2008, 11:08 AM
I think as a new uncle you need to get the baby a nice small soft toy, that can be kept for years to remember the gift given by the uncle and for your sister, something to make her feel pretty, new moms to be do not feel pretty, sick and build like a whale is more what I remember. So a new hair cut, something along that line.

mumof2
05-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I think as a new uncle you need to get the baby a nice small soft toy, that can be kept for years to remember the gift given by the uncle and for your sister, something to make her feel pretty, new moms to be do not feel pretty, sick and build like a whale is more what I remember. So a new hair cut, something along that line.

ooh yeah, a haircut is an excellent idea!

of course all new babies MUST have soft toys Josh, the more the merrier! :lol:

Tink
05-08-2008, 11:29 AM
One of the gifts that I gave was a gold pendant in the shape of a heart (but you can get them in the shape of a little boy's head or a little girls'). I had the child's name and birthdate engraved on it, and had it suspended from a delicate gold chain. It was for the Mother, of course. :yes:

I've given car seats. Check the regulations, making sure you get one that will grow with the child as much as possible. I also purchased a car seat cover so that it could be easily removed and washed more frequently than the padded ones that come with the car seat.

I've given a stroller. Again, I chose a multifunction one that was easy for the parent to close up with one hand. :yes:

I've given bedroom sets (when I've known the decor/design that the Mom wanted). Curtains, sheets, blanket, quilt, scatter rug, pillow (for Mom, not baby) and receiving blankets all in coordinating design. Oh, and a bassinette skirt for that particular child.

I've given a high chair. One that will grow with the child is best. The one I purchased had adjustable legs so you could lower the seat portion nearly to the floor and the child could use the chair as a desk set up as well as a dining high chair. One with a seat that is adjustable is very nice too. Look them over carefully, and remember that they are going to have to be cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis. Avoid ones with unnecessary wells, holes, crevices, etc.

I've started bank accounts for little ones. I've given U.S. Savings bonds (do you have something like that there)?

I gave my niece a gold bangle bracelet with her name and birthdate engraved.

I've given a 'Mother's Starter Pack' that I created myself. Over the months of waiting I purchased anything I could imagine that a Mother might need for the baby. Little undershirts, packs and packs of diapers in different sizes, booties that couldn't be kicked off, sleeping gowns for when they are tiny new borns, sleepers, little outfits in different sizes, soft shoes, small blankets, baby bath products, bath products for Mom, a baby memory book, coupons for baby food, wipes, inserts for nursing bras (this particular Mom was nursing) a few soft toys, a teething ring ... as I said, anything I could think of. :yes:

I've given myself. :D Coupons for help with the house when baby is new, for babysitting when Mom/the parents needed to go somewhere, or wanted to go somewhere that baby shouldn't... oh, and suppers for a week (in one day coupons). Things like that.

There are nice baby healthcare kits out there too. I'd get one of those for a combination gift if I were doing it again. They have thermometers, nail clippers, syringe bulbs, little combs and brushes, things like that.

It will amaze you to see how much "stuff" a baby needs! How someone so tiny can need so much is beyond me, but it sure seems to play out that way every time!

One thing you may want to look for is a good consignment shop. Many things your sister will want new for the baby, but a good consignment shop can save hundreds of dollars through the early years and provide perfectly good (and high quality) merchandise for the baby. The key is the quality of the stuff on offer, of course.

Hope that helps a bit!

Johnie
05-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Best present I got was diapers! Huge boxes of diapers in sizes bigger than what they need now.

I tend to buy clothes cause I cannot resist them. I also buy clothes in bigger sizes since most everyone else will buy newborn or up to 3 months clothes.

mumof2
05-08-2008, 03:40 PM
ooooh this is exciting - we could do online shopping for you Josh......but you have to pay for it! :yes:

josh.p.
05-08-2008, 05:18 PM
LOL- I'm not giving out my Debit card number to anyone!! LOL I learnt that lesson when I witnessed Dorothy, Tink, Dawn, Isafari, and Wendy going on a shopping spree with keith's CC!!! LOL

Disneybumble
05-08-2008, 05:18 PM
What a kind Uncle you are going to be.
Best present A freezer full of meals .
Worst present A china Shire horse. Mad Granny bought at a car boot, and very sadly it got smashed.

Shellyamc
05-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I think the best thing you can do is just be there for her :p015:

It is a gift that matches everything and always is just the right fit!

Pick things up at the store if she needs them
Cook some meals for her and tuck some away for when the baby comes
Help her to get the room and all the baby things ready
It is a wonderful gift!!

Oh and since you are good with websites ask her how she would feel about putting up a baby site. Something very private that she can invite family and close friends to come and see so they could get updates and maybe sonogram pics etc.

Beccaberry
05-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Oh and since you are good with websites ask her how she would feel about putting up a baby site. Something very private that she can invite family and close friends to come and see so they could get updates and maybe sonogram pics etc.

What a good idea!!

Jazmine
05-08-2008, 06:06 PM
the best gift i had was my brother decorated the nursery with lots of Disney things which i have always treasured, and he drew a huge drawing of Mickey and Minne on the main wall
Jacqui xxx

josh.p.
05-08-2008, 06:07 PM
She's not interested in the website idea really- She has e-mailed relatives from a-far, but doesn't like the idea of a website, shame, I thought it'd be fab

mumof2
05-08-2008, 06:16 PM
LOL- I'm not giving out my Debit card number to anyone!! LOL I learnt that lesson when I witnessed Dorothy, Tink, Dawn, Isafari, and Wendy going on a shopping spree with keith's CC!!! LOL

:eek:

josh.p.
05-08-2008, 06:43 PM
LOL- I've just gone back and realised there are 3 pages to this thread... WOW! Thanks guys- I've read all the ideas and I've decided on a baby monitor and then I'm going to get him a blanket, toy, or other keepsake that he can enjoy now.
I saw these things yesterday, instead of putting the baby in a ton of blankets when out in the push chair, and instead of putting the baby in a coat which they want to wriggle out of- it was sort of like a wrap type thing that was a blanket and coat in one, that looked really good, quite cute, and practical, but I can't find one now :(
Anyone know what they are called?

josh.p.
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_856_10751_-1__49333_10001_

here it is... ! lol, thinking about it, it's probably not that practical but it looks so funny!

mumof2
05-08-2008, 06:51 PM
LOL- I've just gone back and realised there are 3 pages to this thread... WOW! Thanks guys- I've read all the ideas and I've decided on a baby monitor and then I'm going to get him a blanket, toy, or other keepsake that he can enjoy now.
I saw these things yesterday, instead of putting the baby in a ton of blankets when out in the push chair, and instead of putting the baby in a coat which they want to wriggle out of- it was sort of like a wrap type thing that was a blanket and coat in one, that looked really good, quite cute, and practical, but I can't find one now :(
Anyone know what they are called?

was it like this (http://www.babysleepshop.com/acatalog/Bug_in_a_Rug.html) Josh?

mumof2
05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
:lol: you beat me to it - well, they're similar! It's quite cool really, a different version of the snowsuit/all in one (http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/children/newborn/1/9)

josh.p.
05-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I just think they look so funny and cute... still un-decided on the present, though.

I am thinking I'm just going to get something small like nappies, bottles, bibs, each week, and store them until nearer the time and add in something bigger like a bottle steriliser and then get my mum to make it into a gift basket

mumof2
05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I just think they look so funny and cute... still un-decided on the present, though.

I am thinking I'm just going to get something small like nappies, bottles, bibs, each week, and store them until nearer the time and add in something bigger like a bottle steriliser and then get my mum to make it into a gift basket

tha's an excellent idea Josh, and it'll be a very welcome gift. :yes:

Ursula
05-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Him?...... you said Him....... do you know what it is going to be then? If so that does make the colour of buying gifts a whole lot easier.

Ursula
05-08-2008, 07:43 PM

Where the hell was I then when this was going on? :(

Johnie
05-08-2008, 07:45 PM
I know, they all went shopping without me and I find the best bargains!

josh.p.
05-08-2008, 07:56 PM
LOL- I don't *know* it's a boy, but I do know if you get what I mean?

Ursula
05-08-2008, 08:02 PM
No lol.. are you psychic?.... oh god why do I feel thick today lol... nope don't anyone be tempted to answer that one....

josh.p.
05-08-2008, 08:32 PM
no, LOL, I just have a major major hunch about it being a boy

Beccaberry
05-08-2008, 08:55 PM
One of the best gifts I received was this...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519DB4M3F2L._SS260_.jpg

It's a shopping cart cover for when you go shopping....it's great to keep all the germies and ickyies off your precious niece/nephew :D

josh.p.
05-08-2008, 09:21 PM
What a clever invention!!!

Beccaberry
05-08-2008, 09:25 PM
It really is...and it's quite easy to use...comes in loads of colors and patterns, and not incredibly expensive...

lisaw
05-08-2008, 09:58 PM
What a clever invention!!!

What a great idea! Never seen those here or at least not when I was in the market for one.

Looks like it would work on most yukky restaurant highchairs as well :p015:

Vikki
06-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Ooooo, shopping for babies, something I know about :lol:

For when baby arrives, this (http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000IVVH3A/sr=1-1/qid=1218045913/ref=sr_1_1/026-2958336-7786057?ie=UTF8&mcb=core) is essential! It is brilliant, we use ours all the time, and it keeps those nasty smells away :)

I know it was said stretch mark cream was a bad idea, but I swear by this (http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1039388&classificationid=1010880). I don't know if it worked, but I didn't get a single stretch mark, it lasts for ages and smells soooo yummy! I buy it for everyone I know who's exepcting a baby :) I still use the stuff now, keeps your skin realllly soft! Also, this (http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1039392&classificationid=1010880) is lovely! If you go into Boots to look for them though, look in the baby section, not the usual bath/moisturiser section.

Hope this is of some help :) If you need to know anything, PM me any time :)

josh.p.
07-08-2008, 04:05 PM
ooh thanks vikki, will get her some of that boots stuff- are the nappy sack refills expensive?

Dawn
07-08-2008, 04:23 PM
she might want to use real nappies. :wink:

josh.p.
07-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I've begged her and begged her to concider them... I want to know though- how do you clean them? do they just go in the washing machine and do they stink out the house?

Dawn
07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
They go in the washing machine. I'd keep them in a lidded bucket until I got a load. You can get some really funky outer wraps for them now. None of those plastic pants that my mum had to use on us.

Jazmine
07-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Oh my what some great inventions you get these days :yes: when my DSIL sister had her baby in April i made her up a basket with lots of little treats for her and the baby, and a 1st Mickey & Minnie soft toys
im sure whatever you buy she will love it ;)
Jacqui xxx

Vikki
07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
ooh thanks vikki, will get her some of that boots stuff- are the nappy sack refills expensive?

The Boots stuff really is wonderful!

The nappy wrapper refills aren't too expensive. A bit more than normal nappy sacks though. They have two types of cartridge that fits in them. There's a 0-6 month one which is about 3 and the 6month plus one which is about 4 (this is from Tesco anyway). You can often get 3 for 2 in Boots of them. One cartridge lasts me about three weeks or so, maybe more. They are superb!

josh.p.
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
They go in the washing machine. I'd keep them in a lidded bucket until I got a load. You can get some really funky outer wraps for them now. None of those plastic pants that my mum had to use on us.
I can't see her going for that- my mum is a real neat freak and cant see her wanting a box full of poo-ey nappies. She's stupid like that really, I know they won't smell- but she would be convinced that they smelt- she has a nose like a blood-hound!

The Boots stuff really is wonderful!

The nappy wrapper refills aren't too expensive. A bit more than normal nappy sacks though. They have two types of cartridge that fits in them. There's a 0-6 month one which is about 3 and the 6month plus one which is about 4 (this is from Tesco anyway). You can often get 3 for 2 in Boots of them. One cartridge lasts me about three weeks or so, maybe more. They are superb!
That's cheaper than I thought and its good that they last for so long!

mainecoon lover
07-08-2008, 06:28 PM
The best gift i had when dd was born was a hamper full of baby products, talc, baby bath, cream etc. It saved me a fortune.

Vikki
08-08-2008, 06:38 PM
That's cheaper than I thought and its good that they last for so long!
Oh yes :) Most people I know with a baby has one now and wouldn't be without it (the baby and the wrapper :lol: )

cathydisneynut
08-08-2008, 08:28 PM
scratch mitts, a newborn's fingernails are soooo long!

Beccaberry
08-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I thought about you today Josh...I just found out my cousin is having a baby GIRL! (she's due in November) and I had a ball at this local MEGA store called Baby Superstore...OMG....it was like the Home Depot of baby stuff....I just kept spinning in circles like a ninny! You should have come with me, we'd have had a great time!

PoohBearsMum
08-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I think a lot of the items suggested, such as prams, car seats, nursery decor, are very personal choices for a parent and I would check with your sister exactly what she wants before you get it. I know I did loads of research on these items before I bought them for my babies, and I would have been a bit disappointed if someone had bought me something different.

I have to disagree with Vikki about the nappy wrapper thing (sorry Vikki!). We had one given to us and used it briefly but found it didn't keep the smells in at all and it was much better just to get the smelly nappies out of the house and into the bin immediately!

The best gift I got for my baby was from www.babyblooms.co.uk (http://www.babyblooms.co.uk) They make up baskets of little clothes and other gifts for the baby but fold them to look like a bouquet of flowers. They are gorgeous and I have sent them to all my friends with new babies since. They come in different sizes depending how much you want to spend and are gorgeous and practical and really different. The Burts Bees products they do are also superb for Mum and baby. They are all chemical free and natural and are the only thing that controls my daughter's eczema without using steriod cream.

For the Mum, I would get some vouchers for pampering sessions like a facial or massage and include them with some babysitting vouchers from yourself, so you can give her some 'me time' when she needs it. That is a priceless gift to a tired new mum and will give you some valuable bonding time with your gorgeous new nephew!

Hope that helps.

Vikki
09-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I

I have to disagree with Vikki about the nappy wrapper thing (sorry Vikki!). We had one given to us and used it briefly but found it didn't keep the smells in at all and it was much better just to get the smelly nappies out of the house and into the bin immediately!

Hehehe, oh dear, perhaps Ben isn't as fragrant as we thought :lol: At least they're on sale in most places now, so at least if you don't like it, you've not wasted much :)

josh.p.
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
My sister's friend has a lovely baby called reese (who we took to the aquarium) and when he was a new born she bought the nappy wrapper thingy and it STUNK.
She switched to the inserts for 3 months + and they stopped stinking!
The newborn bags are un-scented or not-heavily scented, so they let smell out, but the ones for 3 months + are heavily scented... do they start on actual baby food rather than milk around that time?

Vikki
11-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Ah that could be it then. We used the 0-6 month ones which were free then started using the 6 month plus when Ben was about 3 months old. Babies start eating solids around 4 months old, ish, but it's a very personal choice. When I say solids, I mean baby rice, which you mix with milk, and it just looks like thick milk :lol:
This was Ben's first attempt!
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3933/p9190004smallrh8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Then it's into puree, carrot etc. It's amaxing how much fun you can have with a blender :lol: