PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a rant

Britchick
11-09-2011, 12:53 PM
About car insurance and young people. It's not blooming fair, trying to find someone to even give you a quote is a nightmare and when you do get one it's like £3000! How are they supposed to learn and go out and get a job especially living in a rural area? I know that they're more of a risk but really? It's ridiculous, all my friends in America, their kids have been driving since they were 15 and premiums not nearly as bad, blooming country! Rant over

Deafjeff
11-09-2011, 12:55 PM
:thumbsdown:

Tink
11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Really? Be sure you aren't comparing apples to oranges, though. I don't have a teen driver, and never did but it is my understanding that teen drivers on an insurance policy cause huge premium increases. I know if they purchase it themselves they'd better have a decent job.

Car insurance stands in the way of teens obtaining their own vehicles, quite often. (Again, according to family and friends).

Teens here in the US are statistically the group to have the most frequent accidents, followed by the elderly.

It does make it very hard though, agreed.

I think there used to be (or may still be) a program in some areas where if a teen took and passed driver education, and kept a high grade point average overall the premiums were lowered a bit.

Dawn
11-09-2011, 01:02 PM
It's completely ridiculous. I drive a tiny Peugeot 107 - 1000cc engine. Even smaller than a US sub compact. To add a teenager on to my insurance policy - I was once quoted £5000. That's just a bit less than what I paid for the car. Young people don't stand a chance.:thumbsdown:

keith
11-09-2011, 01:04 PM
said it before, and will say it again, insurance second only to banks as a scammy industry. Then again, since most of the insurance companies are owned by banks, I guess that explains it :(

I think we should go for a publicly owned insurance organisation and a compulsory third party policy fee should be part of a driving license charge or road tax fee.

Tink
11-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Is that a year? And does that cover the teen for everything, or only basic liability?
Just trying to get a sense of comparison to the situation over here.

But to be fair (in things other than just car insurance) teens do get a really bad "rap" for just about everything.

Guess it always has been that way.

Britchick
11-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I know he's my son and id say that he's not going to cause an accidentbut Dan is actually more sensible than me! (doesn't take much :unsure:)

Tink
11-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I like the way you think, Keith.

Brit, here in this country the "general concept" (I have no idea if there is hard data to back this up) is that even a responsible teen turns into another type of person behind the wheel. The teen driver is depicted as someone who loads up her/his vehicle with friends, drives above the posted speed limit while texting and with the radio blaring.

Now, I drive three hours five days a week. I see men on cells weaving in and out of lanes, men in huge pick up trucks tailgating and cutting people off, women applying mascara while steering with a body part that is not visible through the car's windows, people eating, arguing, blasting music so they cannot hear emergency sirens. Older drivers in the center lane driving 20 or more miles per hour below the posted limit, causing all the other impatient drivers to make reckless manoeuvers to get around them...

No, the majority of them are NOT teens! And for the record, they aren't "tourists" either! :nono:

keith
11-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I hate to ever agree with the insurers, feeling as I do that they're scammers, but they can't really know that one teenager is sensible and another is not :( plus of course it's not all about sensible or not, to a degree it's about experience.

As we all know, even if we're driving along carefully, there's no accounting for that idiot who pulls out in front of us whilst on their mobile phone, doing their make up or turning round to shout at the kids in the back seat.

Really what helps us avoid accidents is experience of how bloomin' stupid other road users actually are!

Of course, even with all the experience in the world, you can't always account for the other idiots :lol: but that's another story.

josh.p.
11-09-2011, 01:39 PM
About car insurance and young people. It's not blooming fair, trying to find someone to even give you a quote is a nightmare and when you do get one it's like £3000! How are they supposed to learn and go out and get a job especially living in a rural area? I know that they're more of a risk but really? It's ridiculous, all my friends in America, their kids have been driving since they were 15 and premiums not nearly as bad, blooming country! Rant over
Here, Here! I passed my test 3 years ago this October and have only been able to actually drive a handful of times because of the cost of insurance!

When my parents go away on holiday and I NEED the car, they will insure me temporarily on it so that I can get around... a week costs circa £60! :thud: I haven't had a quote less than £2,500 for a year and that is after passing my test three years ago, so that has gone down from what it was originally, too.

keith
11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
I haven't had my insurance renewal this year but everyone around me is saying theirs has gone up.

Now, we're talking about people with 20+ years experience (and a years more than last year!), no claims and cars which are a year older than last year and the premiums are going up anyway.

Soooooo scammy.

Wendy
11-09-2011, 01:57 PM
There are some ways to get cheaper insurance, Chris was talking about it to our friends.

The options are:

Go for a low cc car, the lower the cc the slower it goes and it is less of a risk.

Do an advanced driving course, like PassPlus (this is the most popular), IAM, RoSPA. By getting extra skills and experience, they consider that you are trying to make yourself a safer driver and will save much more than the cost of the course on their first insurance premium.

Take a limited mileage policy if you can commit to driving less than, say 3,000 or 5,000 miles a year. This will save money, and is a more convenient way of getting a discount.

Installing a “Pay as You Drive” black box into your car, which is just a high tech way of charging less for a limited mileage anyway.

Some insurance companies will add a parent as a second driver and this drops the premium a little bit. Never make yourself the main driver and add your son if the car isn't yours. If he were to have an accident and they found out that he drove it more than you, the insurance would be void. The other thing is he won't be able to earn his NCB.

Have a look at this site here (http://www.insurethebox.com/) it explains about the black box scheme or here (http://www.i-kube.co.uk/)

Britchick
11-09-2011, 03:08 PM
thanks Wendy, i've tried with under 1000cc and it's still ridiculous anyway looks like he won't be driving anytime soon. :thumbsdown:

ukwdwnut
11-09-2011, 03:34 PM
I got michaels ins on one of the compare sites in the end for a cinquequento on a 10 month bonus accelerator so he got a yr ncd after that time so bringing the initial ins down. Put me on the policy which made it cheaper but it was still 2000.

josh.p.
11-09-2011, 03:34 PM
There are some ways to get cheaper insurance, Chris was talking about it to our friends.

The options are:

Go for a low cc car, the lower the cc the slower it goes and it is less of a risk.

Do an advanced driving course, like PassPlus (this is the most popular), IAM, RoSPA. By getting extra skills and experience, they consider that you are trying to make yourself a safer driver and will save much more than the cost of the course on their first insurance premium.

Take a limited mileage policy if you can commit to driving less than, say 3,000 or 5,000 miles a year. This will save money, and is a more convenient way of getting a discount.

Installing a “Pay as You Drive” black box into your car, which is just a high tech way of charging less for a limited mileage anyway.

Some insurance companies will add a parent as a second driver and this drops the premium a little bit. Never make yourself the main driver and add your son if the car isn't yours. If he were to have an accident and they found out that he drove it more than you, the insurance would be void. The other thing is he won't be able to earn his NCB.

Have a look at this site here (http://www.insurethebox.com/) it explains about the black box scheme or here (http://www.i-kube.co.uk/)

I've tried all of those things. The problem with those 'black box' things is that you have to not drive them after certain hours which would be super inconvenient and would take the whole point out of driving (For me anyway.) I've done Passplus and it seems that the companies that accept it for discounts, just increase their premiums to make up for it because often the ones that don't recognise it work out cheaper!:unsure:

chief
11-09-2011, 04:42 PM
just asked dh about this he said that some insurance companies gave him a %10 discount after he told them he was an iam advanced motorist.
then it went up when he told the he is a police traffic officer!!! you just cant win:thumbsdown:

keith
11-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I guess we've all been through it when we started out :yes:

mine was hideous for one year, went down the second, then when I was 21 it went down again.

I worked to save the money for the insurance and somehow it didn't matter that all the money went on that because it was all I wanted :lol: when I think now about all the money going on insurance which I never "used" I gulp but I'm much grumpier now I guess :lol:

Dawn
11-09-2011, 05:41 PM
I guess the argument would be that you could be the most sensible 17 year old in the country but you have not had experience of driving on the road. Yes you had lessons and passed your test but our test has no motorway section, no driving in snow section, etc, etc, That all comes with experience.

But it's still a rip off for insurance.:nono:

Britchick
11-09-2011, 07:02 PM
I do get it really, but I do wonder what the actual cost of the risk is

ukwdwnut
11-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I guess you'll just have to take the cheapest quote and grin and bear the cost like any other kid just starting to drive. Mike had a Saturday job that paid the monthly cost and we helped him where we could as we did with Lauren. What gets up my nose is it doesn't get cheaper when they pass their test as they are classed a more risky driver as they are driving on their own and not with an experienced driver next to them :(

Britchick
11-09-2011, 07:57 PM
I guess you'll just have to take the cheapest quote and grin and bear the cost like any other kid just starting to drive. Mike had a Saturday job that paid the monthly cost and we helped him where we could as we did with Lauren. What gets up my nose is it doesn't get cheaper when they pass their test as they are classed a more risky driver as they are driving on their own and not with an experienced driver next to them :(

Well as he won't be getting a job for 4 years as he's hoping to go to Uni so he won't be driving I'm afraid. There are no jobs round here in any case, all the part time ones are taken up by older people who can't find full time work! I refuse to pay £300 a month on top of all the other stuff we'll be
forking out! Lol

josh.p.
11-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Well as he won't be getting a job for 4 years as he's hoping to go to Uni so he won't be driving I'm afraid. There are no jobs round here in any case, all the part time ones are taken up by older people who can't find full time work! I refuse to pay £300 a month on top of all the other stuff we'll be
forking out! Lol
It sounds like we are both in the same situation! :yes:

Tink
11-09-2011, 08:24 PM
So. I wonder? Let's speculate for a minute.

Let's imagine that the situation that faces your son, Brit, and Josh becomes the norm. It becomes the norm for young people to not be able to obtain part time work, that they need to go go university for a chance at any job, and that they don't drive until they reach mid to late twenties.

Will that lower the rate? Will we then see less expensive insurance for first time drivers who are over 21?

uscwest
12-09-2011, 03:47 PM
I hate to divert the thread away from insuring younger drivers, but just how much would you pay on average over there for some of the cars we drive here in the US, which for the most part are larger than 1000ccs by far.

Slowhand
12-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I hate to divert the thread away from insuring younger drivers, but just how much would you pay on average over there for some of the cars we drive here in the US, which for the most part are larger than 1000ccs by far.
This is a tough one to answer John as it all depends on your age, the value of the car,any no claims discount you are entitled to, any previous convictions etc.etc.

I pay around £400 for my fully comprehensive insurance for the car which has a V8 4.2 litre supercharged engine....although I have maximum no claims discount and also I am of a "certain age". :lol:

Dawn
12-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Depends on where you live too. Inner city drivers will pay more than suburban or rural areas as their cars are more likely to be stolen. If you garage your car you pay less. The less mileage you do the less your insurance is. There's so many variables it's very confusing.

Dawn
12-09-2011, 05:00 PM
I pay around £400 for my fully comprehensive insurance for the car which has a V8 4.2 litre supercharged engine....although I have maximum no claims discount and also I am of a "certain age". :lol:

My first car cost £400 to buy. :happybounce:

ukwdwnut
12-09-2011, 05:12 PM
my first car a ford anglia 1200 deluxe was £65 and £70 to insure and petrol was a mere 35p a gallon :lol:

josh.p.
12-09-2011, 06:00 PM
So. I wonder? Let's speculate for a minute.

Let's imagine that the situation that faces your son, Brit, and Josh becomes the norm. It becomes the norm for young people to not be able to obtain part time work, that they need to go go university for a chance at any job, and that they don't drive until they reach mid to late twenties.

Will that lower the rate? Will we then see less expensive insurance for first time drivers who are over 21?
It does dip somewhat when you get to 21 but 25 is when the rates come crashing down to 'normal' levels. There any many of my friends who have part time employment but they are in jobs which they have had since they were 16/17 or in family businesses. I had a job when I was 16 but it was full-time summer work.

Dizneyblonde
12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
It seems we have been fairly lucky then!
We couldn't afford to get Robyn a car when she passed her test so I had her added to the insurance on my 1596cc 2002 ford focus.We are paying approx £600 for the year.Mine is usually around the £200 mark so hers is £400 for the year.Her excess is £650 though.

Britchick
13-09-2011, 06:49 AM
We couldn't afford to get Robyn a car when she passed her test so I had her added to the insurance on my 1596cc 2002 ford focus.We are paying approx £600 for the year.Mine is usually around the £200 mark so hers is £400 for the year.Her excess is £650 though.

What company are you with T?

ukwdwnut
13-09-2011, 07:41 AM

the only trouble with doing it it this way is they dont earn any NCD with most insurers. i seem to remember that there was one company who did and i cant for the life of me remember who it was. admiral do a discount if you insure two cars with them, slighly different i know

ukwdwnut
13-09-2011, 07:46 AM
just found who it was and this is what i found. hope it helps :)

NAMED DRIVER NCD (No Claims Discount)

Direct Line was the first major insurance company in the UK that recognises named drivers’ No Claims history

If you have named drivers on your Direct Line car insurance policy, you (and they) will be pleased to know that we have become the first major insurance company in the UK to offer Named Driver No Claims Discounts.

This means that when we provide your named drivers with a quote for Direct Line car insurance, we’ll recognise every year they haven’t made a claim on your policy.

The no claims discount earned by named drivers can be used against a Direct Line policy of their own in the future. However, it may not be recognised by other insurers.

The named-driver no claim discounts may be lower than the no claim discounts available to you as the policyholder. Once applied to a policy the discount operates in the same way as no claim discount. If a claim is made the discount will be reduced.

Taking advantage of this deal couldn’t be easier. Your named drivers’ no claims histories are automatically stored on our system, so when they come to apply for their own policy they simply need to give us your details online or on the phone and we can identify them immediately, at which point they will be able to receive up to 5 years' Named No Claims Discount on their own policy.

uscwest
13-09-2011, 11:23 AM
OK, so for the most part it sounds like your prices are in line with ours. We insure two vehicles, have perfect driving records, and I have to admit I really don't know what we pay as Donna actually handles the insurance for the cars and I do the house.

Slowhand
13-09-2011, 03:02 PM
My first car cost £400 to buy. :happybounce:
Mine only cost me £25 as it was a Ford Anglia bought between me and one of my friends when we were both learning to drive for the princely sum of £50!
Mind you it did seem like a king`s ransom at the time. :lol:

Britchick
13-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Direct line won't give me a quote. :nono:

just found who it was and this is what i found. hope it helps :)

NAMED DRIVER NCD (No Claims Discount)

Direct Line was the first major insurance company in the UK that recognises named drivers’ No Claims history

If you have named drivers on your Direct Line car insurance policy, you (and they) will be pleased to know that we have become the first major insurance company in the UK to offer Named Driver No Claims Discounts.

This means that when we provide your named drivers with a quote for Direct Line car insurance, we’ll recognise every year they haven’t made a claim on your policy.

The no claims discount earned by named drivers can be used against a Direct Line policy of their own in the future. However, it may not be recognised by other insurers.

The named-driver no claim discounts may be lower than the no claim discounts available to you as the policyholder. Once applied to a policy the discount operates in the same way as no claim discount. If a claim is made the discount will be reduced.

Taking advantage of this deal couldn’t be easier. Your named drivers’ no claims histories are automatically stored on our system, so when they come to apply for their own policy they simply need to give us your details online or on the phone and we can identify them immediately, at which point they will be able to receive up to 5 years' Named No Claims Discount on their own policy.

Dizneyblonde
13-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Julie I'm with More Than.
They wouldn't quote for Robyn before she passed but did after.She passed on 14th June and they charged me £80 for her until my renewal on 9th September.

I know she's not getting her own NCD at the moment but as she is driving my car I'm not worried at the moment.Prices will come down as she gets older and has more experience then hopefully she will be earning to pay her own way.

Wendy
13-09-2011, 11:07 PM
I had a similar problem, I didn't have my own NCD, but I had driven on Chris' policy for about 15 years, so when I finally got a car, I asked the company we were with for a quote and they gave me full NCD because I'd been on Chris' policy and hadn't had any accidents or convictions. Our insurance company then was Zurich, this was years ago though, long before Direct Line started advertising it :lol:

Have you tried through the CSMA :unsure:

daveann
15-09-2011, 10:13 AM
my son is paying £4500 a year and thats only 3rd party the car is only worth £400 but this is his second year so it should drop :(

uscwest
15-09-2011, 11:07 AM
my son is paying £4500 a year and thats only 3rd party the car is only worth £400 but this is his second year so it should drop :(Good GRIEF how does one even afford that kind of insurance. How absurd.

Slowhand
15-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Good GRIEF how does one even afford that kind of insurance. How absurd.
That`s one of our major problems over here John.
There are loads of drivers on the road who have not got any insurance despite the police having number plate recognition systems etc.
How they could live with themselves if they ran down a child is beyond me.

daveann
15-09-2011, 01:26 PM
he actually has got a job (thats a bit rare where he lives i can assure you) and all his money goes on his car i feel for him though as he could afford a pretty decent car if he wasnt being bankrupt by his car insurance :(