PDA

View Full Version : Change in career.

lozzy
17-09-2011, 08:28 AM
I am currently working as a carer for adults in their own homes but the job role over the last 2 years has changed a lot and I have found recently that I'm not getting the job satisfaction which I did when I started, well this has made me sit down and think what I what for my furture.

I have helped out in my sons school with reading and on school trips which got me thinking about a role as a teaching assistant, I have asked the head if I could help out in the school on a regular basis and she has agreed which is great. (well who wouldn't say no to free help)
I have looked at a few courses and I'm going to do a level 2 T.A course in the next few months. ( new year )

I'm really looking forward to a fresh start over the next few years and hope after passing the courses I could get a paid job in a school.

I am luck that I can do this while still doing my current job as I work evenings so my days are free.

I've done NVQ 2 and 3 in adult social care so that will hopefully help me with some areas of the T.A courses.

I'm so excited, I'm like a kid at Christmas.

Britchick
17-09-2011, 08:53 AM
It's a tough time in Adult social care right now that's for sure :( and it's definitely not the kind of job you should be in if your hearts not in it. Good luck with the new pathway though! I noticed in our area that after no adverts for TAs for months there are loads just gone out.

Deafjeff
17-09-2011, 08:54 AM
All the best!

Sometime it great to have a career change! :yes:

My hubby (clarkkent) is also going through a career change too :yes:

lozzy
17-09-2011, 09:05 AM
It's a tough time in Adult social care right now that's for sure :( and it's definitely not the kind of job you should be in if your hearts not in it. Good luck with the new pathway though! I noticed in our area that after no adverts for TAs for months there are loads just gone out.

Don't get me wrong I still love doing me job but I started the job to help people maintain a as much normal home life, but I find myself making cups of tea and making sandwich for people who can quite clearly do it for themselves.

ukwdwnut
17-09-2011, 09:12 AM
best of luck laura. i hope it works out for the best. nothing worse than being in a job you no longer like.

i used to be a carpenter and joiner and HAD to change careers, it was hard but i love working at the school, its the best job ive ever had :yes: :D

Britchick
17-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Don't get me wrong I still love doing me job but I started the job to help people maintain a as much normal home life, but I find myself making cups of tea and making sandwich for people who can quite clearly do it for themselves.

Quite frustrating, I find people either want to be independent and will do everything in their power to do so or they don't and would have someone breathe for them if they could. I'm very lucky in our team that we have a fab OT who 'encourages' and reasons and 90% of the time those that can will :wiggle: Come and work with me Lozzy :yes:

foreverducky
17-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Sounds good to me. :D

My thought is that we spend most of our lives working, so it better be enjoyable and fulfilling.

Dawn
17-09-2011, 11:05 AM
That's exactly how I got into it. Started by going in to listen to children reading. Then I did bank cover for lunch supervision. Helped out on school trips. Basically got my face seen around school. Next thing I'm offered a temp job for 1 term. That was 3 years ago and I'm still there and I truly think I have the best job in the world.

Oh and I'll be going down the NVQ route next year too.

Good luck to you. :thumbsup:

Tink
17-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Ah Lozzy. :sigh: Wish you were here. I need good aides (what we call carers). I need people who care about the elderly and are willing to help them help themselves.

Had a phone call at home last night from an adult child who told me her Mom had called her crying. She'd asked her aide for assistance and the aide told her to do it herself. Nice, huh.

Needless to say, I called the nurse on duty and told her to investigate. I'll look into it Monday.

So, all that to say, I need people who are willing to do good work, not just be there to collect a check.

Watchinherskip
19-09-2011, 02:39 PM
First off Lozzy, thank you for your service to the elderly. While not the same, my Mom and Dad were so comforted through their hospice care that I hold a great deal of admiration for care givers.

Secondly, as a teacher myself, thank you for considering a change to work with our youth..wow the yin and yang.:yes:

I know they can both be very trying, physically and emotionally. I am sure you will make the right choice for yourself.

Cheers

Dan

lozzy
19-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi Tink

We get that here from people who work for care agencies, it's sad to hear what some carers do to the elderly,
I have a lady who is 100 and she was left I'm bed for 18 hours because the agency forgot to send her carers, she rang her emergency button and the company I work for sent carers to her.
It makes me sick to think these uk care agencies can just start up a business and then send untrained staff and sometimes they aren't police checked in to people's homes.

lozzy
19-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi watchinherskip

I do love my job 80% of the time but with all the changes which seem to be happening with the council I work for job satisfaction is becoming less and less. As I said before I do this job to care for people but I feel like I'm being told more and more not to care.

I have enjoyed working in my sons school recently and that's what made me think about a T.A role. Fingers crossed I can soon start on a new path.

Clarkkent
20-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Career changes can be scary.

I've just, like you, come from adult social care. I've just spent 17 years (half my life eek! :mental:) in supported housing and homelessness services. Got to senior management and made redundant. Got another job and made redundant from that too.

I took it as a sign to give it up (too much red tape rather than just helping people!)

So now I'm retraining as a sign language interpreter. One qualification down, one more to go.:happy bounce:

If you get the chance to re-train do it! :yes:

Mari
20-09-2011, 08:44 PM
the best of luck in this new adventure! :)

I think its wonderful to be able to make a change :)