PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Tink
05-08-2008, 12:14 PM
As you know, it's election year here in the good old U S of A. :yes:

The primary was actually more exciting to me than the election will be, but none the less the two candidates are:

For the Democratic side: BARAK OBAMA. :yes: (Jaysus, I hope I spelled his name correctly).

For the Republican side: John McCain.

So, without any personal comments directed toward one another :D shall we discuss how we feel about the candidates? No one has to reveal who they intend to vote for or anything else they are not comfortable with, of course.

So then? Who's your man and why?

Dawn
05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I said 2 years ago to look out for this senator guy from Illinois with a weird name but no one listened to me. :D

I hope he can win it. We're scared over here of another 4 years of republicans scaring the rest of the world. :sigh;

Beccaberry
05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Tink...I *think* there's a "c" in there somewhere in Mr. Obama's name....but I can't be sure...I'm pretty sure I spell it differently every time :D

I agree...the primaries were FAR more exciting than I believe the election is going to be...for the first time I saw people actually *interested* in what the candidates had to say...especially between Hillary Clinton and Obama...

Any opinions on whether Clinton will be Obama's running mate? How about Timothy Kaine? Repercussions from either choosing or not choosing Clinton?

I still think the race to watch is on the Democratic side....

keith
05-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I just don't think Clinton gets Barack Obama as much as he needs to counter the republicans but I also don't necessarily believe he'll have much of a choice! I think with the Clinton's history, all it'll take is a few calls to the super delegates and Obama will have a heck of a time avoiding Clinton as running mate.

Argh though, I feel she'll be an anchor on his agenda and in fairness to her, she could easily begin to outshine him. She's definitely got more chance of doing it than your typical lame VP :D

Jim Webb could POSSIBLY come some way to delivering virginia to the democrats but has said he doesnt want the job so then you'd have to look to Kaine for having a similar base but doesn't help Obama fight the "inexperienced ticket" criticism.

There's John Edwards but all I can say is oh dear god no :lol:

Skywatcher
05-08-2008, 01:00 PM
:cry2: it will all mean the end of my Bushism of the day calendars

keith
05-08-2008, 01:02 PM
:cry2: it will all mean the end of my Bushism of the day calendars

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." :laugh:

Dawn
05-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Don't think Clinton would like being VP - it's pretty much a nothing job with no power unless the P is incapacitated by a pretzel.

Skywatcher
05-08-2008, 01:07 PM
'either you disarm, or we will'

:D

keith
05-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Don't think Clinton would like being VP - it's pretty much a nothing job with no power unless the P is incapacitated by a pretzel.

:lol:

Normally yeah but that goes hand in hand with the P choosing a traditionally fairly lame candidate and keeping them doing the jobs that the P doesn't want to do.

I suspect Clinton has a strong enough experienced base to be able to stand up to Obama. I really believe it would be a different dynamic if she was to get VP.

Beccaberry
05-08-2008, 01:09 PM
She might not "like" being the veep, but I think she would take the nomination.

Kaine *is* inexperienced, and if Obama is looking to him to deliver Virginia, I think he's going to have a rude awakening there; he's not that popular in VA.

Webb might be able to pull it off (as well as a few liberal Republicans) but as you said, he's saying he doesn't want it.

Skywatcher
05-08-2008, 01:11 PM
I actually think McCain will win - not from any realy political insight on my part - just a feeling that there was a such split in the democratic vote and there is a feeling ( perhaps wrongly) - that there is a large element of voters in America who will not vote for someone who is not white or female. I saw a survery on a BBC program that suggested 15% of Americans thought Obama was a Muslim

Beccaberry
05-08-2008, 01:13 PM
I saw a survery on a BBC program that suggested 15% of Americans thought Obama was a Muslim

:rolleyes008: I saw this as well. My mother has sent me so much silly propaganda regarding Barack Obama, that I finally had to block her from my email.

Johnie
05-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I think this may the first time ever I have been ambivalent about voting :( I always vote and have always been excited about it. I do not feel that way at all now.

I wanted Hillary to be president. I like her a lot. I like Obama ok but I swear there will be an assasination attempt if he wins. Same would have happened to Hillary too :mad:

Timothy Kaine is the governor here in Virginia. He is essentially my boss. I like him a lot. He has been in local politics for a long time. He is very new to the higher level. He is very liberal which does not set well with most people in this very conservative state. I tell all my clients who want to petition to get their voting rights restored that the time to do so is now. When a Republican comes into office here (which will be the next election, I am sure b/c Virginia does that :rolleyes008:) they won't have a shot in you know where!

Now, our former governor Mark Warner would be a good candidate. He is a Democrat but fiscally savvy. He was a happy medium for many people.

Beccaberry
05-08-2008, 01:54 PM
I think this may the first time ever I have been ambivalent about voting :( I always vote and have always been excited about it. I do not feel that way at all now.

I wanted Hillary to be president. I like her a lot. I like Obama ok but I swear there will be an assasination attempt if he wins. Same would have happened to Hillary too :mad:

Timothy Kaine is the governor here in Virginia. He is essentially my boss. I like him a lot. He has been in local politics for a long time. He is very new to the higher level. He is very liberal which does not set well with most people in this very conservative state. I tell all my clients who want to petition to get their voting rights restored that the time to do so is now. When a Republican comes into office here (which will be the next election, I am sure b/c Virginia does that :rolleyes008:) they won't have a shot in you know where!

Now, our former governor Mark Warner would be a good candidate. He is a Democrat but fiscally savvy. He was a happy medium for many people.

OOOH!! Interesting to hear from somehow who actually LIVES in VA...even more interesting since you were (and obviously still are) an avid Hillary advocate...

What do you think about Hillary being vp candidate? Would you be more excited about a potential Obama presidency?

Johnie
05-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Truth be told, I really miss Bill. I love him. And a lot of the world loved us when he was President.

I would love to see a woman as president but a man of color will come first. I don't think many really want a woman president. Now, if she did get the VP with Obama, I might be more excited. I don't know though. I hate being ambivalent, that is so not my nature.

Virginia is such a weird state. We only allow a governor one 4 year term. Nothing gets done around here because of it. The state employees pretty much decide who is going to be governor. They tend to swing back and forth like a pendulum b/c the governor is their boss and they vote for who is going to do what. When he doesn't do what they want, they change to the other side. It's silly! I have always voted Democrat except for the one time in the Republican primary when Ollie North was running. Had to vote against him!!!

Dawn
05-08-2008, 02:12 PM
The world love Democratic presidents. :D

Johnie
05-08-2008, 02:15 PM
:lol: very true.

Dawn
05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
They don't try and destroy us. :lol:

Skywatcher
05-08-2008, 02:36 PM
..Or inventify new wordifications

Johnie
05-08-2008, 02:36 PM
:lol:

Beccaberry
05-08-2008, 02:42 PM
..Or inventify new wordifications

:laugh: :laugh: How very dare you.

lisaw
05-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Obama has family that live a couple of roads away from me, every week there is a story in the local paper about a party that he has been at or a pub he has visited :lol:

Britchick
05-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I would really like to see Obama win, i saw him a long time ago too and thought he was going to go far. Sadly i don't think that people are ready to vote him in. (and i mean no offence to our american cousins)

I think if John Mcain gets in it won't be as bad as Bush anyway.

Grammiepo
05-08-2008, 07:19 PM
John Edwards has said" No, Thank you." I for one would like to see Clinton as a VP, might get me to even go to the polls, as of now this looks like a no win, for the American people.

Ursula
05-08-2008, 08:18 PM
John McCain cos he's good in those Die Hard movies :D

josh.p.
05-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Can someone translate the other pages? I really really don't understand any of the english politics, never mind the American ones!!

What is a veep and what does each opposing party propose? Where hilary and obama in the same 'party'?

Johnie
05-08-2008, 08:32 PM
It's long and convoluted. I can tell you that yes, both Hillary and Obama are Democrats.

Beccaberry
05-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Can someone translate the other pages? I really really don't understand any of the english politics, never mind the American ones!!

What is a veep and what does each opposing party propose? Where hilary and obama in the same 'party'?

Ok...Josh...here's the shorthand of it, I'll be back for more later after the gym...

Veep - Vice President (a sort of variation on the initials VP)
Hillary and Obama were/are in the same party...each party (mainly Republicans and Democrats, though there are others) have a "party nomination" where the people decide who they want to represent their party in the presidential election...this year it was EXTRAORDINARILY close in the Democratic race between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton...eventually Obama won. So now he is the Democratic Party's Presidential Nominee (McCain is the Republicans). Now both candidates select a running mate for VP....Obama does not necessarily have to choose Hillary, although many people think it would be a good idea.

As far as what each party stand for....well.....that depends on who you ask :D

Democrats are TRADITIONALLY more liberal while Republicans TYPICALLY lean to the more conservative side....from there you can extrapolate.....and I'm sure other's will add to this...

Tinker
05-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Barrack Obama is the beginning of the end . It has already started . Obama will be president and there will be an assassnation attempt to which he will be hurt, but will survive as it is written . I'm Afraid of Obama , I Have Been Since The Very Beginning . I'm Voting For God !!!

keith
05-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Barrack Obama is the beginning of the end . It has already started . Obama will be president and there will be an assassnation attempt to which he will be hurt, but will survive as it is written . I'm Afraid of Obama , I Have Been Since The Very Beginning . I'm Voting For God !!!

Well I think all we can hope is that whoever is elected, sanity and respect prevail :hug2:

Tink
05-08-2008, 11:11 PM
:unsure: G-d is running? I must have missed that primary! :wink: :D

Sister Tinker, Obama is a man. He's a decent sort and has wonderful ideals. Unfortunately, it reminds me of Jimmy Carter and he was stymied at every turn it seems. :sigh;

I was a Hillary supporter, so I'm really sad that we won't have a woman for president. I can't imagine myself voting other than Democrat though.

I would have really loved to have seen a ticket with both Hillary and Obama. I know that won't happen, but gosh it would have been so perfect! :yes: Well, at least in my eyes! :lol: :sorry:

keith
05-08-2008, 11:13 PM
:
I would have really loved to have seen a ticket with both Hillary and Obama. I know that won't happen, but gosh it would have been so perfect! :yes: Well, at least in my eyes! :lol: :sorry:

Really Tink? you don't think there's any chance of that ticket?

Tink
05-08-2008, 11:19 PM
No, not from what I've read. :( Not that reading words of talking heads is the be all and end all, but I really don't see it.

I would dearly love to be wrong though! I think that a ticket with both of them could actually mean some real change for this country.

I've always had a deep seated fear that Obama alone could not beat McCain. :sorry:

Hillary, as much as she's panned by the critics, is very much loved and respected by many Americans. I just wish the stupid media had stayed out of things. :(

My first thought when Obama announced he was running was, "Oh no! Not now! Wait and let Hillary have her chance and then you can have the presidency after gaining a little more experience." But did he listen to me? Noooooooo! :rolleyes:

Johnie
05-08-2008, 11:21 PM
It's good to hear a different perspective about Hillary. A lot of people here hate her. It's really very sad.

kazzaqld
05-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I think Hillary's too proud to go 2nd.

Don't get me wrong - I wish she were the nominee too, I think she would have made a good President, if elected. My husband says she was too ambitious - well, yes one needs to be ambitious to run for President...

But I don't have anything against Obama, I think he will also do a creditable job, if elected!

We can but hope. :yes:

Tink
05-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Isn't that funny Kazza? We say she was too ambitious, but I truly don't believe we'd ever say that about a man running.

Johnie, I know. There is much publicized about the masses that hate her, but let's face it. She's been elected in one of the toughest states, and she's doing a great job. She's going to become a very powerful Senator, so we'll have to see if she ever runs again.

Hey, Teddy survived not being president. There is none more powerful than he in MA today.

Ursula
05-08-2008, 11:27 PM
How can you trust Hillary when she so blatantly lied.....

Tink
05-08-2008, 11:39 PM
All pols lie. :o

Not one of them is perfect. I like her politics. I like her postion on many social issues. I like her dedication to public service.

I was confused by the dodging bullets story and still don't understand it. Did it effect my concept of her? Yes. Not enough to dissuade me from supporting her though.

I supported John Kerry (hush now! :wink: ) and didn't like many of the things he stood for, and said at the rally I attended.

Some times it's the lesser of two evils that you have to choose from. :yes:

keith
05-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Some times it's the lesser of two evils that you have to choose from. :yes:

ain't that the truth

Grammiepo
06-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Are you saying here, what I think you are saying, I for one was worried someone would shot Bush and he would live, for the same reason. But have now come to think it is the system and not a man.

Ursula
06-08-2008, 12:33 AM
You can't trust any of them over here... they all lie to get in then when in they conveniently forget their promises.... IE: Blair on our EU referendum...... Brown too.

Johnie
06-08-2008, 02:00 AM
I don't think it's necessarily that politicians lie so much as they don't really have all the power that they think they are going to have. We have our system of checks and balances to make sure that the President doesn't make absolute decisions. So, one really needs to blame everyone in power, not just the one person.

Tinker
06-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Grammiepo;26673]Are you saying here, what I think you are saying, I for one was worried someone would shot Bush and he would live, for the same reason. But have now come to think it is the system and not a man. thats exactly what I'm afraid of Grammie Po . With a name like Barrack Hussein Obama . His previos religion Muslim . There are pics in him that I saw on CNN where he had a turban on . I just don't trust him . And I;m not the only one that is thinking this way . All of a sudden his previous pastor is saying GD America and all sorts of other things , but Obama says, this never happened before . OK !!! And we are expected to believe this hogwash, Y . Not me, I wanted Clinton . I won't be voting in this presidency . Obama that rhymes with Osama is not getting my vote .

Shellyamc
06-08-2008, 03:17 AM
Well being someone who lives in Upstate NY and not in the city I have to say that I have no real respect for Hillary. Around here we heard a lot of talk, but not much beyond that. Everyone does for the city and seems to forget that there is a state of New York beyond the city. Anyway she isn't really popular around here at all.

As for the election..there is no one who I feel represents me. I'm really not sure what to do..

Beccaberry
06-08-2008, 03:31 AM
Well being someone who lives in Upstate NY and not in the city I have to say that I have no real respect for Hillary. Around here we heard a lot of talk, but not much beyond that. Everyone does for the city and seems to forget that there is a state of New York beyond the city. Anyway she isn't really popular around here at all.

As for the election..there is no one who I feel represents me. I'm really not sure what to do..

Interesting words Shelly...I'd have to say I feel quite the same way....I do not support McCain's politics, and I've never seen eye to eye with Hillary (I don't know why, not sure I can coin it, but she's just not trustworthy in my opinion...not that any politicians *really* are of course.) Now...I do like the charisma and passion of Obama, although I'm not sure that's enough for him to get my vote. His politics seem those of mere rhetoric in my opinion....but in the end...aren't they all?

I'm not apathetic by any means, because I do love to watch the process...so even in the worst of years, I get excited. I believe that the electoral system as we know it is on its last legs, and I am excited about the prospect of being around to see it change. We are still a young country yet, with much to learn....sometimes it takes hard mistakes and harsh lessons to do so.

Johnie
06-08-2008, 03:34 AM
I wish I wasn't apathetic this go round :(

Beccaberry
06-08-2008, 03:35 AM
ME TOO!!! What can I do to get you excited?!?! Captain Morgan as McCain's VP? Joe Jonas? :wink:

Johnie
06-08-2008, 03:37 AM
:lol: I cannot see me voting for McCain. He just seems too old and out of touch.

Now if Captain Morgan and Joe Jonas ran together, I'd get excited :lol:

Beccaberry
06-08-2008, 03:41 AM
LOL...I'll see what I can do.....

I have to say...I was SHOCKED to hear that McCain was nearing 72...while I *do* respect and am grateful for his service to our country...there are just too many core issues with which I disagree with him on...I find no fault with him, personally...but his politics don't hunt. (as my grandfather would say :wink: )

Johnie
06-08-2008, 03:44 AM
Exactly. He seems like a decent human being. I just don't want him or any Republican really running the country. So, that being said, I will probably vote for Obama. I hope I get excited before Nov.

Dawn
06-08-2008, 07:55 AM
McCain is too old in my opinion. He supports the war in Afghanistan. He supports the war in Iraq. He's hot tempered. He's already started a smear campaign. And I can't see anything in his agenda that will benefit poor americans. And his environmental policies scare me.

Obama is fresh. He's been to Europe and made himself known. We like him. He stood up in Detroit and told carmakers to clean up their act. That would win my vote. He's got good ideas - new ideas.

He used to be Muslim? There are 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide, no getting away from it. They are a common religion and 99.99999999999% of them are a peaceable race. The tiny minority? Timothy McVeigh was a tiny minority...

If I was a US citizen I'd be voting Obama. And I would be voting. It's my voice and I'd want it heard.

Skywatcher
06-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Do you think he'll win though?

Wendy
06-08-2008, 08:04 AM

Sadly, no I don't, it's not his time, he's too young and doesn't have enough experience. I also don't think the majority of Americans are ready to "break the mould" yet.

I agree with Johnie, I think if he does win I and that's a big "if" there will be an assassination attempt :(

Dawn
06-08-2008, 08:20 AM
And there wouldn't have been if Hillary was elected?

Wendy
06-08-2008, 08:28 AM
And there wouldn't have been if Hillary was elected?

Yes I think there would have been :(

Dawn
06-08-2008, 08:32 AM
But then most presidents will be the subject of an assassination attempt.

Wendy
06-08-2008, 08:41 AM
But then most presidents will be the subject of an assassination attempt.

:yes: true, I've just got this feeling that America isn't ready for a change from their usual Presidental candidates and if it was they would need someone stronger than Obama. I was very surprised that Hillary wasn't the candidate, whatever she has or hasn't done, she just seems a stronger person than Obama.

I don't really bother with all the politics and everything, I think deep down they are all as bad as one another, especially in this country. I will vote at the next election, purely with the hope of getting Labour out :shrug:

Grammiepo
06-08-2008, 11:06 AM
thats exactly what I'm afraid of Grammie Po . With a name like Barrack Hussein Obama . His previos religion Muslim . There are pics in him that I saw on CNN where he had a turban on . I just don't trust him . And I;m not the only one that is thinking this way . All of a sudden his previous pastor is saying GD America and all sorts of other things , but Obama says, this never happened before . OK !!! And we are expected to believe this hogwash, Y . Not me, I wanted Clinton . I won't be voting in this presidency . Obama that rhymes with Osama is not getting my vote .
What if Clinton is his running mate?

Tink
06-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Shellyamc, interesting statements! :yes: I have several family members in your general area and they all support Hillary to the nth degree. They found her a breath of fresh air to the good old boy way of doing NY politics. Isn't perspective an amazing thing! :D But my family has always been democrats, so it's hard to get past their support of a democrat, eh? :yes:

Honestly, I get quite heartsick at the thought of four more republican years. :( I really just don't know which way this election will go. :sigh;

Dawn
06-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Honestly, I get quite heartsick at the thought of four more republican years. :(

So does Europe at least. We'll be watching election closer than any other in recent history. Bush has scared the wiggins out of us, and we need a break from that.

keith
06-08-2008, 12:06 PM
So does Europe at least. We'll be watching election closer than any other in recent history. Bush has scared the wiggins out of us, and we need a break from that.

yep I think there's much more interest in the American political scene than there is in the domestic UK one. Of course that could well be because the domestic UK politicians are duller than a very dull thing on a dull day :lol:

Beccaberry
06-08-2008, 01:14 PM

I think he can. In my heart, I honestly think he can. Am I being optimistic? Perhaps. But that's ok, I can live with that.

Johnie
06-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Optimism is a good thing.

Beccaberry
06-08-2008, 01:22 PM
He used to be Muslim? There are 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide, no getting away from it. They are a common religion and 99.99999999999% of them are a peaceable race. The tiny minority? Timothy McVeigh was a tiny minority...

While I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with your conclusion, there is no factual evidence (that I've read) that supports the assumption that he was/is/every claimed to be Muslim.

Like I said though, either way, I agree with your statement.

Dawn
06-08-2008, 01:27 PM
I never said he used to be Muslim. Another poster did. I was just rebutting the implication that Islam is a negative religion.

Beccaberry
06-08-2008, 01:29 PM
So noted. :D

Skywatcher
06-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Is it true that the people on the edge bits of America vote Democrat as they tend to 'get out ' more?

Beccaberry
06-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Hmmmm I dunno, Chris...I do know through my poli sci classes that TYPICALLY the more educated one becomes, the further "Democratic" they lean...

I will say that since moving from the deep south, my opinions (politically) have changed and evolved quite drastically.

Shellyamc
06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Shellyamc, interesting statements! :yes: I have several family members in your general area and they all support Hillary to the nth degree. They found her a breath of fresh air to the good old boy way of doing NY politics. Isn't perspective an amazing thing! :D But my family has always been democrats, so it's hard to get past their support of a democrat, eh? :yes:

Well I guess it would all come down to what you saw going on around you. I know she would come and give big amazing speeches, but there was never any foundation behind it. I didn't see any change in policy, no change in any taxes, no change in any of our schooling (which I know is a huge part of her campaign), and basically just saw a whole lot of nothing. It was kind of like she came here, bought a big beautiful house, and then said I'm a New Yorker..worship me!! I'm with beccaberry, I just never trusted her. :shrug:

Johnie
06-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Is it true that the people on the edge bits of America vote Democrat as they tend to 'get out ' more?

I can tell you that Virginia is a complex state. It usually votes Republican. This is still the south, especially the southwest part of the state...that's about as rural as your going to get. They lean Republican. The whole state is based on tobacco. It is a HUGE industry and is fueled by lots and lots of dollars that the Republicans tend to get them. Now, northern Virginia is another place entirely. It might as well be it's own state. They tend to vote Democrat. The beach area also tends to vote Democrat. Sometimes I feel like the lone Democrat here in central Virginia.

My thing is I want to help people. You need money to do that. I don't mind paying taxes to help those who need it. Not everyone is as lucky as others.

keith
06-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Well I guess it would all come down to what you saw going on around you. I know she would come and give big amazing speeches, but there was never any foundation behind it. I didn't see any change in policy, no change in any taxes, no change in any of our schooling (which I know is a huge part of her campaign), and basically just saw a whole lot of nothing. It was kind of like she came here, bought a big beautiful house, and then said I'm a New Yorker..worship me!! I'm with beccaberry, I just never trusted her. :shrug:

I must admit, viewing from afar, that sums up my view of her campaign as well. I was ready and open to hearing some real substantive ideas. When she was speaking, I could hear the speech writers. No problem there, they all have speech writers. However, when she was on the receiving end of a tenacious political interview, she always backed off to a "safe place".