PDA

View Full Version : Handmade gifts for fundraising..ideas needed!

mumof2
08-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Here's the loooong background story! Sharon, Sally and I all worked in the offices of our local water company. I left many years ago, Sally is still there as was Sharon until she had to retire due to her illness.

At Sharons funeral donations totalling 720 were given for the hospice where she was wonderfully cared for.

I arranged to go into the water company to sell our handmade cards and gifts in a bid to raise more funds, which I did yesterday and raised 100. Some people bought, some people just came along and gave me money. It was lovely as I caught up with some old faces I haven't seen for years and there were some tears for my lovely sister.

They had a 'dress down' day too where everbody wears casual clothes and donates to whichever charity is being supported on the day. For Sharon, and to coincide with the card sale, they decided to dedicate yesterday to the hospice. I don't know how much they collected yet.

Anyway, to get to the point, some people asked if I could go in again before Christmas so I MAY contact the powers that be next week to ask whether that would be possible.

If I do I think I will just go with the Christmas theme. Our past 2 sales have been cards for various occasions, cushions, knitted and crocheted shoulder bags, textile art, fabric covered trinket boxes, knitted and sequined brooches and small padded hanging fabric hearts.

Soooo, I'm wondering what sort of little handmade gifts YOU would like to see on a Christmas craft stall? :o)

Tink
08-10-2011, 11:43 AM
I like whimsical things... so for Christmas I would like to see some type of ornaments that could be used on a tree. Or even memory baubles... the basic round tree ornament painted with a person's name... that sort of thing?

I love faeries as you know, so anything to do with Christmas faeries would be great! Cards, or again ornaments of some sort.

I have a faerie who is cloth, but poseable. She must have some sort of wire in her to allow me to have her "sit"...

Not explaining it well, I know. :(

You are such a wonderful person for doing all of this Mairead.

Kate
08-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Homemade christmas cards, xmas decs that the kids would love (pine cones that sort of thing), christmas gift bags, little stocking fillers (just little knick knacks in an organza bag) - that sort of thing!

mumof2
08-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Thank you Tink, I'm doing this because it gives me a purpose which I need right now. :hug2:

I have thought about trying some ornaments so will look for easy peasey instructions! Also the faeries sounds interesting but I'm not sure my sewing skills are up to that.

Mum will knit/crochet some more little girls bags in Christmas colours, the ones she made for the past 2 sales are so cute!

Sharon has a big box of handmade soaps and bath bubbles at home somewhere so I'll look those out to sell too.

Kate
08-10-2011, 12:00 PM
christmas cakes!

Tink
08-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I know of one type of ornament. Herself's niece did this for her mother...

Purchased white pearlized Christmas decorations (plain balls). Used puff paint in a squeeze tube to write each person's name on a separate ornament. Herself's mother still puts them on her tree each year.

Very simple, and pretty. Easy to personalize with names or anniversaries, ect. :yes:

mumof2
08-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Homemade christmas cards, xmas decs that the kids would love (pine cones that sort of thing), christmas gift bags, little stocking fillers (just little knick knacks in an organza bag) - that sort of thing!

stocking fillers....mmm, what about small notebooks and pens that i could maybe cover in fabric?

mumof2
08-10-2011, 12:14 PM
I know of one type of ornament. Herself's niece did this for her mother...

Purchased white pearlized Christmas decorations (plain balls). Used puff paint in a squeeze tube to write each person's name on a separate ornament. Herself's mother still puts them on her tree each year.

Very simple, and pretty. Easy to personalize with names or anniversaries, ect. :yes:

oooh that sounds interesting! :thumbsup:

mumof2
08-10-2011, 12:15 PM
christmas cakes!

That scares me!

Kate
08-10-2011, 01:44 PM
I dont mean the "proper" christmas cake, mean cupcake sort of things that people can buy to have with a cup of tea! Could you do a little cake sale type of thing too, you know like at christmas fete/jumble sale type thingy?! :unsure:

Notebooks and pens sound good :yes:

What about some bookmarks? Or you could make some little jewellary and put it in the organza bags with little christmas confetti

mumof2
08-10-2011, 02:42 PM
I dont mean the "proper" christmas cake, mean cupcake sort of things that people can buy to have with a cup of tea! Could you do a little cake sale type of thing too, you know like at christmas fete/jumble sale type thingy?! :unsure:

Notebooks and pens sound good :yes:

What about some bookmarks? Or you could make some little jewellary and put it in the organza bags with little christmas confetti

Bookmarks, yes! I'd forgotten about those and my Mum's been knitting birthday cakes, I forgot about those too! Maybe she could do some Chrismas cakes.

Not sure if i'd be able to sell real cakes as I'd be in the staff cafe area (which is Costa Coffee...nice move costa!) but have been thinking about a tombola, will have to check whether that would be allowed though.

Finding the right location to be able sell without having huge costs on pitch fees is not easy, i thought of having one at the middle school Matthew attended but their fee was 15 or so for a table....is it me or is that crazy? :unsure:

And the jewellery sounds like a nice idea too...

Kate
08-10-2011, 02:55 PM
That does seem alot - have you told them its for the hospice? Seems unfair to charge like that when its going to such a good cause

mumof2
08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
To be honest that was last years price, I need to pop in there soon anyway so maybe I will ask again.

Deafjeff
09-10-2011, 08:42 AM
That such a wonderful thing to do :hug2:

I quite like fabric ornament which stuffed with cotton wool and few drop of christmas spices and it smells so lovely!

mumof2
09-10-2011, 09:24 AM
That such a wonderful thing to do :hug2:

I quite like fabric ornament which stuffed with cotton wool and few drop of christmas spices and it smells so lovely!

Nice idea Jeff, we could do fabric ornaments I'm sure. :thumbsup:

Deafjeff
09-10-2011, 09:26 AM
If you make some extras, I'll buy some off from you so I can contribute to the hospice too (I'll cover the cost of the postage too.)

mumof2
09-10-2011, 03:42 PM
If you make some extras, I'll buy some off from you so I can contribute to the hospice too (I'll cover the cost of the postage too.)

Oh bless you Jeff, that's very kind.:hug2:

Not saying I will defo make them but tell me about the shape of the ornaments? I'm concerned about the spices as the fragrance would wear off wouldn't it?

I was thinking about padded hearts in Christmas fabrics too.

Britchick
09-10-2011, 04:48 PM
on the ornaments side go into your local garden centre, there are lots of ornaments there to get inspiration i've seen a lot this year and thought wow i could make that so easily - i like the christmas hearts etc.

you can't go wrong with a cupcake either :tongue:

Deafjeff
09-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Quite like Christmas heart :yes:

You could add scent oil every day for few days and it should last longer, maybe add couple of drops before you sew it up?

Kate
09-10-2011, 05:10 PM
If i had a christmas dec i really liked it wouldnt worry me if the scent had worn off!

Tinkfan
09-10-2011, 10:43 PM
to tie in with Kate we raised quite a shocking amount of money with a cake walk at Tylers fundraiser. We had total of maybe 40 cakes, all different . Some in Christmas shapes, I did a large gingerbread man, some were shaped like ornaments or Santa. There was a beautiful glazed sponge, a carmel apple cake a fruitcake , you get my drift . You sell booklets of tickets say 5 chances for $10.00 and there is a row of chairs and every 1/2 hour or so depending on how many cakes you have you allow one group in( if you have 6 chairs then 5 people) and play a Christmas song. when the music stops have them find a chair( musical chairs!) the one left out wins the cake! Or marked sidewalk on the floor with phrases like winner, sorry ect and when the music stops the one on winner wins, or pass an ornament and the one who has it in their hands wins when the music stops. It doesn't have to be cake, it could be cany, cookie platters, wine, ect. We sold single tickets as well as booklets. The money comes from the fact that the winner pays only 2.00 for something that is worth more but will have to spend more if they really like that cake!

mumof2
09-10-2011, 10:53 PM
interesting ideas there Trish, thank you! :hug2:

Wendy
10-10-2011, 08:48 AM
If you decide to go with the cup cakes, I can make you some sugar trees, stars, holly etc to put on the top. If you want some mini fruit Christmas cakes then I can make and ice them for you, you could make a little bag for them to go in. Jars of pickled onions with nice labels and a cover over the lid :unsre:

Christmas tags are another option, I always buy lots of them and if you need anything printing just holler :hug2:

mumof2
10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
awww Wendy, thank you. Bless you too! xx :hug2:

Wendy
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
awww Wendy, thank you. Bless you too! xx :hug2:

:hug2: Hospices are close to my heart too, I do all I can to support St Luke's who looked after Dad and any other hospice. I also give to MacMillan and Marie Cure :yes:

mumof2
10-10-2011, 10:54 AM
:hug2: Hospices are close to my heart too, I do all I can to support St Luke's who looked after Dad and any other hospice. I also give to MacMillan and Marie Cure :yes:

I know :hug2:

Sharon didn't feel the need to see the hospice nurses until within the 2 weeks before she passed away and saw them only a handful of times (what a girl hey?) They were fantastic, anything she needed was sorted immediately, and when she went into the hospice for her last 14 hours the care she received was so tender, what an amazing and special bunch of people. :yes:

They are my chosen charity, along with Macmillan and Cancer Research. :hug2:

MystikPiglit
10-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Firstly.. :hug2: Well done on your sale.

I am a huge fan of Christmas craft stalls. :yes:
If you are not having the next stall until December, remember that many people will already have purchased all of their Christmas cards/crackers/presents by then. :rolleyes: So I think decorations, or small personalised gifts, will be your best option. :thumbsup:

Found a few ideas if you need them:

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/how-to-make-intricate-christmas-ornaments2.htm

http://familyfun.go.com/christmas/christmas-ornaments/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/victorianchristmas/activities.shtml

Good luck. :hug2:

mumof2
10-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Thank you MP :hug2:

I'm hoping I can do another sale around 18/19 November as I know they'll have all been paid by then!

I'll go and have a look at those websites right now, there's a couple there I recognise but haven't looked at in ages :thumbsup:

mumof2
10-10-2011, 01:27 PM
The ball's rolling....I just spoke with the guy at the water company who is going to double check I can go in again, but he says as it's for charity he doesn't see a problem!

Keep your fingers crossed!

MystikPiglit
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
:fingers:

Kate
10-10-2011, 04:02 PM
I know :hug2:

Sharon didn't feel the need to see the hospice nurses until within the 2 weeks before she passed away and saw them only a handful of times (what a girl hey?) They were fantastic, anything she needed was sorted immediately, and when she went into the hospice for her last 14 hours the care she received was so tender, what an amazing and special bunch of people. :yes:

They are my chosen charity, along with Macmillan and Cancer Research. :hug2:

Hospice's are wonderful, the people that work there are so special and so much more personal, kinder etc than the staff at hospitals :yes:

Wendy
10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Hospice's are wonderful, the people that work there are so special and so much more personal, kinder etc than the staff at hospitals :yes:

They truly are Kate, nothing is too much trouble for them, they will do anything and everything they can, I don't think I could ever thank them enough for how they looked after my Dad :sigh:

Kate
10-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Isabelle was 2 when BiL was admitted to the hospice for his care, they were wonderful there and didnt mind that i took her there to visit at all, they never once made us feel uncomfortable and didnt mind all the toys/prams/dollys etc that accompanied us on our visits! The hospital, well thats another story, we were very uncomfortable there and made to feel like we shouldnt be there :sorry:

mumof2
10-10-2011, 05:42 PM
St Barnabas is a new hospice, opened no more than 6 months ago. It replaced the original St B's hospice at a new site and is a beautiful, calm, peaceful place. Private rooms and bathrooms, gardens, lounges for visitors. If Sharon hadn't agreed to go in when she did she'd have been at the hospital which none of us would have wanted.

It was the perfect place, we couldn't have wished for better for her, for Martin and for the boys.

I haven't been into a hospice since my Nanny passed away when I was 18, this one is so very different to the one she was in.