PDA

View Full Version : Stupid O2

Deafjeff
08-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi guys,

I am quite cheese off with o2 at the moment...

I am considering upgrading my iPhone 4 to iphone 4s this Friday coming. I was told that they do have fast track and I do not qualify as my tariff is under 40.

I explained to lovely people at the store that the reason I am on the tariff (which is 35!) as I do not need high minutes call as I am Deaf and cannot use the telephone but only data blah bah...

Was told that I need to pay 280 to get out of the contract and start a brand new contract and lose the number unless I want to go through of transferring my number to pay to go and transfer it once again to my 'new' contract!!

They explained that they have changed the rules etc I tries to explain that I am not getting the best value for money on any tariff as it all included minutes. I left Orange for the very same reason.

In America AT&T have tariff which designed for Deaf people and I cannot see why other network in the UK cannot do similar.

Rant over!

keith
08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
yep it stinks :(

I mean on the early upgrades thing, there's no entitlement. Sometimes you can get them to do you a deal based on how much you spend or promise to spend, sometimes you can't. That's the way it is, they've discounted your iphone 4 when you took out the contract and they want their pound of flesh before letting you get a discounted 4s.

HOWEVER as you rightly say, the amount of minutes included is crazy for you since you can't really enjoy them and frankly, I want to know who DOES use 900minutes a month etc. because I know I dont come close! They KNOW this and they specifically don't have low minute tariffs because they'd rather charge us for loads of minutes we don't then use.

I phoned Vodafone on friday to upgrade our work phones to the 4s and I said "look we just dont use many minutes but we use tons of data" they hmmm'd and said well look the only plans we have with lots of data have lots of minutes too. doh. so as usual we'll be paying for hundreds of minutes we'll never ever use.

This is to be honest why pay as you go styles are better even if the phones arent discounted much.

I really rate www.giffgaff.com based on the o2 network. 10 a month, unlimited texts, unlimited data, 250mins a month no contract. Sure, no subsidies on phones but if you're saving 25 a month it doesnt take long to save the cost of a new phone anyway

Deafjeff
08-10-2011, 03:56 PM
thanks for the weblink...

Will have a look and wait for the contract to run out in June and decide then. I am not giving up and currently twittering my respond and questions and hopefully someone from o2 will take me seriously!

josh.p.
08-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Jeff, pop in and take a look at Tesco Mobile. I had to pay for my iPhone (around 400 so still discounted but not HEAVILY) and I have a 12-month contract, 20 a month. 250 minutes and unlimited data/texts. It's through the o2 network and other than when they refused to freeze my contract whilst I was in Orlando, I've had no problems with them. :yes:

Kate
08-10-2011, 05:58 PM
You ought to email them Jeff, just so they are aware :yes:
Im with o2, i pay 5 a month for unlimited texts but no minutes or anything else - but its such a basic phone and im really only interested in texting anyway

Britchick
08-10-2011, 07:34 PM
i'm surprised that these companies don't do something to suit your needs Jeff.

I know that when members of the armed forces were deployed to war zones watchdog embarrassed the mobile phone companies in to freezing their accounts while they were away, maybe an email to watchdog?

daveann
08-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Last month I left O2 after being with them since they were cellnet and bt before that years and years infect very few people had mobiles back then but was sick of paying for things I didn't use so I am now a pay as you go customer on vodafone and saving myself about 40 a month granted I have to buy my own phones in future but hey hoo :)

Tink
08-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Jeff, I'm really surprised. I view the UK as a place that is very progressive with rights and provisions for everyone. I would have thought that any cellular service company would be required to accommodate the specific needs of the deaf community.

Deafjeff
09-10-2011, 08:34 AM
You ought to email them Jeff, just so they are aware :yes:
Im with o2, i pay 5 a month for unlimited texts but no minutes or anything else - but its such a basic phone and im really only interested in texting anyway

I tries to do that and they gave me a 'blanket respond' blah blah we had to change our rules and have to treat everyone 'fairly'

I have asked them few question via twitter which is a public arena.....

Deafjeff
09-10-2011, 08:34 AM
i'm surprised that these companies don't do something to suit your needs Jeff.

I know that when members of the armed forces were deployed to war zones watchdog embarrassed the mobile phone companies in to freezing their accounts while they were away, maybe an email to watchdog?

:jawdrop:

That so wrong!! :thumbs down:

May try watchdog and see what happened if they do not respond.

Deafjeff
09-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Jeff, I'm really surprised. I view the UK as a place that is very progressive with rights and provisions for everyone. I would have thought that any cellular service company would be required to accommodate the specific needs of the deaf community.

Sadly, USA are ahead at many things for the Deaf community whilst compared to UK :thumbsdown:

Kate
09-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Good idea about twitter - have they got facebook? you could post something on there too!

Deafjeff
09-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Not a big fan of Facebook but will look into that....

Wendy
10-10-2011, 09:37 AM

Sadly it's not :sigh: As with all things, it tends to depend on where you live in the country with regard to the standard of health care you receive or if you are disabled. It's the same with regard to people's rights and views :( The bigger cities are better, but even then, they have their "areas"

Depending on where you live there are still shops, restaurants and business that don't cater for wheelchair users :( I could probably count on one hand the amount of places that have the textphone or loop service :sigh:

Jeff, I have been looking on the internet and in one of O2's Access For ALL leaflets, with regard hearing it says on page 9:

Text-only tariffs
If you want to send text messages rather than making voice calls, ask us about our special text-only tariffs

Have you emailed them at this address: cr@o2.com this seems to be the email address that keeps coming up.

Deafjeff
14-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Today is when I was hoping to upgrade... Guess what....

still no respond!

They twit me back to say that they will respond asap as they want to do the right thing and for me the right thing would be to have the opportunity to queue up this morning if I wanted to upgrade...

I am seriously not impressed at the length of time for them to get back to me....

I am gutted about the whole thing if I am honest. :sorry:

Britchick
14-10-2011, 08:48 PM
:hug2:

Today is when I was hoping to upgrade... Guess what....

still no respond!

They twit me back to say that they will respond asap as they want to do the right thing and for me the right thing would be to have the opportunity to queue up this morning if I wanted to upgrade...

I am seriously not impressed at the length of time for them to get back to me....

I am gutted about the whole thing if I am honest. :sorry:

josh.p.
14-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Get in touch with Watchdog Jeff! I think this really is appalling! :yes: Big :slap: to O2!

Wendy
14-10-2011, 09:01 PM
:hug2: I'm really sorry they haven't sorted this out yet Jeff :hug2:

When we had problems with Vodafone a few years back, I posted the same question on all the mobile phone forums I could find, including Vodafone's own forum. It took a few days, but I got a reply and within a few days they had sorted out the problem. Up until then I'd been getting the run around.

Wendy
24-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Jeff have O2 come back to you yet about this?

Deafjeff
24-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Jeff have O2 come back to you yet about this?

Thanks for asking and no they still have not get back to me!

They said that they are 'still looking into it' and will be in touch ASAP. That nearly a week ago!

:thumbsdown:

Wendy
24-10-2011, 10:29 AM
:nono: they really aren't very good are they :( it's very very poor customer service.

I hope they get their act together soon Jeff :hug2:

Deafjeff
24-10-2011, 05:41 PM
O2 finally got back to me saying that they will be in touch one way or another tomorrow.

Does not look good at all :nono:

Wendy
24-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Jeff, they really haven't been very professional over this at all and you should tell them that tomorrow. :fingers: they do actually call.

Deafjeff
24-10-2011, 07:03 PM
will keep you all up to date!

Deafjeff
25-10-2011, 06:20 PM
O2 have agreed for me to upgrade but there is no iPhone 4s left in the stock and next one will be 2 weeks(!)

They would need to upgrade my tariff for a short term to allow me to obtain the fast track upgrade and get the new tariff etc etc

If I wanted a free phone will be looking at 51 per month :unsure: otherwise it would be 46 for 18 months plus 99 for new phone.

I am not sure if i want to go through the hassle and only to find that there will be iPhone 5 around the corner.

ho hum......

Suggestions?