PDA

View Full Version : Disney Require a Credit Card Guarantee for Signature Dining & some Character Meals at WDW Resorts

Wendy
12-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Walt Disney World Resorts are starting a new policy effective October 26, 2011, that will require a credit card guarantee for new reservations at Signature Dining and most Character Dining locations.

Cancellations to reservations made less than one day in advance will incur a $10 charge per person listed on the reservation, with the exception of Victoria and Alberts where there will be a $25 charge per person.

A new phone number specifically to cancel dining reservations, 407-WDW-CNCL (407 939 2625) has been added for guest convenience.

The following locations will require the new credit card guarantee:

1900 Park Fare

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall

Artist Point

California Grill

Cape May Café

Chef Mickey’s

Cítricos

The Crystal Palace

Flying Fish Café

The Garden Grill

The Hollywood Brown Derby

Hollywood & Vine

Jiko – The Cooking Place

Le Cellier Steakhouse

Narcoossee’s

‘Ohana

Tusker House Restaurant

Victoria & Albert’s – $25 per person

Yachtsman Steakhouse

Wendy
12-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Good news as far as I can see :) hopefully it will mean that there will be more of a chance to get a table by just arriving at the restaurant and asking the hostess :yes:

Tink
12-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Let's hope so! However, there are any number of folks who don't use credit cards so I wonder what that will do to things? :unsure:

Slowhand
12-10-2011, 12:24 PM
That`s a great idea, they should have adopted that policy ages ago to deter folks making ADR`s and then not even having the courtesy to cancel if they fail to show up thus making it hard to get a table in many cases.:thumbsup:

Kate
12-10-2011, 12:27 PM
We dont use credit cards :sorry:

Not that i have any plans in the near future to go to any of those anyway so it doesnt really matter, but thats not the point im trying to make! :lol:

Tink
12-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Yep, Kate. That's what I mean. Not everyone does use credit cards.

Also, sometimes there are true emergencies and someone may have to cancel and would then potentially incur a charge.

I guess I'm ok with (as if it makes a difference to Disney what I think! :lol: ) with initial charging, but not with the cancellation fees (unless one simply doesn't show up).

I guess Disney must be at a place now where it won't matter about the bookings they won't get...

uscwest
12-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Well this may certainly halt the double and triple booking problem. In addition to CCs I understand they will also take a debit card as a hold.,

Mari
20-10-2011, 05:14 PM
while making ADRs this time around I had to put my cc details for Cindys and Mickeys BBQ (totally expected) and for Akerhus (unexpected!)

Johnie
23-10-2011, 07:27 AM
I find it hard to believe that people going to WDW don't have a debit card that they could use. I also imagine if there were a true emergency and people did a no show then Disney would waive the cancellation fee.

I also imagine someone could buy of those prepaid Visa cards and use that.

Tink
23-10-2011, 10:46 AM
There are any number of people I know who do not use debit or credit cards. Some of them for political choice reasons, others for a variety of other reasons.

The prepaid cards are notorious for malfunctioning. I've had terrible experiences with them.

Some 'insider' info. One guest was tracked through the ADR system to reveal that the guest had made SEVENTY TWO ADRs for ONE day! Now, that's a reason to step in and change things, clearly.

A high ranking official (who will remain nameless) reportedly hates the DDP and can't wait to get rid of it. The official reportedly stated that WDW is LOSING money on the program and that it's done more to bring down the quality of food and service than any other "mistake" implemented by Disney! :eek: (Hey, I coulda' told him that)!

I understand that something needed to be done. However, canceling DDP would have been the preferable choice. That would have reduced the demand on an overloaded system, and exponentially decreased the problem.

Wendy
23-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Crikey, I knew people abused the system but that is terrible. I always wondered if Disney actually made any money from the DDP, especially with the free dining :unsure:

I suppose it's made it more affordable for people that wouldn't normally have been able to go, but standards have dropped considerably - not just in the restaurants sadly :(

It's good to have some "insider information" :D thank you and thank the insider as well :hug2:

Tink
23-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Will do, Wendy!

I was a little surprised to learn that a high ranking official would state that the DDP was not a money maker. Seems like Disney wouldn't keep something too long that was losing money. However, the general thought is that it brings in enough people to offset the dining loss in other areas. :shrug:

I wonder if they'll try to determine how much they've lost in revenue from other dining sources. Probably pretty hard to gauge unless they were tracking the source of the revenue originally.

catrancher
23-10-2011, 01:19 PM
A high ranking official (who will remain nameless) reportedly hates the DDP and can't wait to get rid of it. The official reportedly stated that WDW is LOSING money on the program and that it's done more to bring down the quality of food and service than any other "mistake" implemented by Disney! :eek: (Hey, I coulda' told him that)!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can it go now? Can it? Please! :beg:

Tom (:macwave:... worst idea ever!)

Shellyamc
23-10-2011, 01:55 PM
I seem to be the odd one out here, but I have to say that I like the dining plan very much. Especially after taking my parents and 2 kids on this trip, I don't know what I would have done without it. Having everything paid for and booked in advance was a huge load off and after a few bills of well over $150 I was more than happy to swipe that little card! :yes: I would be sad to see it go, honestly.

Having said that, I do like the idea of the credit card hold. If I book a meal then I go, and if I don't plan on going I cancel it and hopefully this would make this more common then it seems to be.

Tink
23-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh Shelly, many folks like the plan! I just feel that it has done much to bring down the quality of the food served (purchased to serve, actually) and the quality of the service.

The TIW card has done a bit of damage too, given its automatic 18% gratuity. When I have a TIW I never tell the server I have it until the end. I smile sweetly and imply that it slipped my mind... :sorry:

Kate
23-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Ive only ever booked one meal in advance, that was CP and was made online. Ive never done DDP, just the thought of it confuses me! :unsure:

Mari
24-10-2011, 06:15 PM
I also like the dining plan, and LOVE it when its free.

I do think Disney should keep at least a percentage of its tables FREE for walk in guests, because it is sometimes impossible to determine WHERE you want to eat 180 days in advance.

Also, I mean, I know most tourists are from the US or the UK, but guests from other parts of the world have NO CLUE you have to book character meals, and soe end up eating hot dogs and hamburgers because eating somewhere "nice" is just impossible

Tink
25-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Informal insider report says that the new credit card system seems to be working already!

Walk ins are being seated. :mental: This particular restaurant was busy with all tables filled (some due to walk ins) and suffered no empty tables like they were doing with the ADR system before the credit card hold went into place.

Wendy
25-10-2011, 07:17 AM
:happydance: excellent news :D Lets hope it continues :yes:

uscwest
25-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I didn't think it went into effect until the 26th of this month.

Shellyamc
25-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I do have to say that we were able to eat in Italy for dinner as a walk up. I was shocked, but we gave it a shot and we were seated right away. We had planned to go back to DTD and has an ADR (which I canceled :tongue: ) but at the last minute headed back to Epcot to do a few more things. :yes: The food was wonderful :thumbsup:

Mari
25-10-2011, 07:40 PM
that is great!!!! makes deciding where to eat at the spur of the moment doable, and fun!!!

catrancher
25-10-2011, 07:50 PM
I too think this is great! I'd love to be able to go back to the days of walk up dining. :happydance:

But let me make a suggestion. If you really want to see those days of walk up and eat service come back, send an email to Tom Staggs. President of Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide. Last current address I had for him was Tom.Staggs@disney.com.

Just a thought.

Tom (:macwave:... get the big guy's attention!)

Tink
26-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Walk up dining was wonderful. It worked for all the right reasons.