PDA

View Full Version : Statue of Liberty

Isafari
27-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Busy planning our New York section of our summer trip. Never been to NY before and I am pretty clueless about everything there.

I know you take a ferry to see the SoL but where do you catch the ferry from? Is there just the one dock?

Just trying to plan distances from various attractions :thumbsup:

Beccaberry
27-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Yes, from the NYC side there is only one departure point, Battery Park. You'll want to take some manner of public transportation (bus, taxi, subway) as parking is VERY limited.

This is a great site to visit for more information: http://www.nps.gov/stli/index.htm

Wendy
27-10-2011, 12:33 PM
You can get a ferry to the SOL from Battery Park, downtown Manhattan or from the Liberty State Park, New Jersey.

Most people I know have gone on the Staten Island Ferry, it's free and I think it leaves from the east at Battery Park. You also get to see the skyline of Manhattan - don't quote me but it takes about an hour (I think)

You can find out more info at the National Park Service here (http://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/index.htm)

Wendy
27-10-2011, 12:34 PM
:lol: snap Becca, great minds think alike :D

Isafari
27-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys - and thanks for the links.

I have quite a lot of questions about NY :unsure: :lol:

Beccaberry
27-10-2011, 12:50 PM
OOOH!! I might actually be helpful!!!

When are you going? Not that I have any ulterior motives, of course ;-)

Isafari
27-10-2011, 01:13 PM
OOOH!! I might actually be helpful!!!

When are you going? Not that I have any ulterior motives, of course ;-)

Just going for 5 days in July.

Beccaberry
27-10-2011, 01:21 PM
OOOH!! The weather will be LOVELY! :bounce:

Watchinherskip
27-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I have some haunting memories from our last trip there. It was in late December of 2000. The city was gearing up for the Millenium. We were one of the last boats off the island heading back to the battery. I have video and stills from the deck of the boat with the twin towers gleaming behind us. We commented on the beauty of the view. It was quite stunning. It is sort of very sad thinking what would happen to that view in less than 10 months. :sad:

Beccaberry
27-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I have some haunting memories from our last trip there. It was in late December of 2000. The city was gearing up for the Millenium. We were one of the last boats off the island heading back to the battery. I have video and stills from the deck of the boat with the twin towers gleaming behind us. We commented on the beauty of the view. It was quite stunning. It is sort of very sad thinking what would happen to that view in less than 10 months. :sad:

I never had the opportunity to see the towers in person.

We have tickets on the 14th of November to visit the memorial. I imagine it will be an emotional day.

Wendy
27-10-2011, 03:22 PM
I never had the opportunity to see the towers in person.

We have tickets on the 14th of November to visit the memorial. I imagine it will be an emotional day.

:hug2: I think it will be emotional Becca, friends that have been say it's very surreal and calm.

Beccaberry
27-10-2011, 03:45 PM
:hug2: I think it will be emotional Becca, friends that have been say it's very surreal and calm.

That's what I've heard as well...

Last year we visited the 9/11 Memorial Museum and took the tour. All of the tours are given by someone who was in some way directly affected by the tragedy of that day. Our tour guide was a New York sanitation worker. I still think of him often and hope he has found some manner of peace.

Sorry Issy, not meaning to turn the topic of your thread :hug2: It's going to be a WONDERFUL holiday!

Johnie
27-10-2011, 07:25 PM
I love Lady Liberty. If it is possible to have a crush on an inanimate object, then I have one!

You can reserve to go inside as well. She is just stunning

Kate
28-10-2011, 06:40 AM
New York looks wonderful, my nephew went there a few years ago on a school trip and his photos were great - you will have a wonderful time there Diane! :yes:
What do you have planned while you're there?

Watchinherskip
28-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Well if I am not mistaken....today is the 125th birthday of our old girl...so :star::star:

Old girl!

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/10/28/174131.html

Tink
28-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Wow!

Isafari
28-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Can anyone please help with this question.....

Can we get a ferry over to the Statue of Liberty, (will actually be closed but can wander around) go to Ellis Island, and the ferry back to mainland for free? :unsure:

Beccaberry
28-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Issy, to my knowledge, there is no "free" ferry to the SoL or Ellis Island.

Of course my knowledge is limited so I'm more than happy to be proven wrong by someone here that has an inside scoop. In the meantime, I'll ask around to a few of my more "seasoned" NYC friends and ask if they know of anything.

I *believe* the Staten Island Ferry is free. But it doesn't stop at those places, you would merely be able to "view" them as you float by.

Johnie
28-10-2011, 04:37 PM
www.statuecruises.com

You have to buy a ticket to go to either island

Isafari
29-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Issy, to my knowledge, there is no "free" ferry to the SoL or Ellis Island.

www.statuecruises.com

You have to buy a ticket to go to either island

Brilliant - thanks guys, I totally understand now :thumbsup:

lisaw
29-10-2011, 11:40 AM
One piece of advice would be to get there as early as possible. The boat to Liberty Island and Ellis island goes from Castle Clinton at Battery Park (it's a circular hop on/hop off ride). We were there before it opened and sorted our tickets. It is quite a lengthy security procedure - think airport security. We were on the first boat of the day, went to Liberty first and then Ellis island. When we got back at around 1.30 pm the queue for the boat was easily 2 hours+ long!!

Your trip probably won't take as long if there is no access to the statue but I should imagine it will still be very busy! :)

Isafari
29-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Your trip probably won't take as long if there is no access to the statue but I should imagine it will still be very busy! :)

Thanks Lisa - the plan is to go first thing :thumbsup:

I actually have tried looking for a bus tour that doesn't take too long. Thinking of it as getting a general idea of where things are and hopefully seeing some of the not so major sites that we don't have time for.
Any suggestions? Did you do any tours?

lisaw
29-10-2011, 11:53 AM
We only did one bus tour which was the night one which I would highly recommend! It takesyou over to Brooklyn so you can view the skyline at night - just beautiful!

We had the 7 day NY pass for our attraction entry and did loads with it but we just used transport to get around.

I was worried about finding my way around before I went and timings but it is actually very easy once you are there.

I can't remember exactly but I would say from Grand Central down to the bottom tip of Manhattan on the underground takes around 20 minutes or so, that may help you with your timings which is the thing I found most difficult with the planning!

Beccaberry
29-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Definitely good advice to arrive early ;-)

When we're in the city we always see these "double decker" tour busses around where the people seem to be enjoying themselves...I've no idea the name of the line, but I'll be in the city on Sunday (next) for the NYC marathon and I'll try and pay closer attention.

montymouse
29-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi, we have been to NYC three times and absolutely love it. My 1st trip we caught the Staten Island Ferry (free) and that takes about 1/2 hour to Staten Island, going past the Statue of Liberty - stunning views. You have to be a bit quick when it docks and you can get off and back on the same ferry so whole trip from Manhatten 1 hour. I would get a New York Pass which has free boat to Statue of Liberty built in. Also good for Empire State, Circle Line night cruise, Top of the Rock, various museums and the zoo. Well worth the money and you can skip some queues.

I have travelled with my 65 year old mother and also with husband and children so could advise you on other queries..... wish I was going, I love NY

Don't forget the Disney store on 5th Avenue
xx:wave:

Beccaberry
29-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Sadly the 5th Ave Disney Store has closed. They did open one in Times Square, though! Also recommend Toys R Us and FAO...even without kiddos they are fun places to see!

Isafari
29-10-2011, 07:10 PM
We had the 7 day NY pass for our attraction entry and did loads with it but we just used transport to get around.

I've also been looking at a pass which gets you subway and bus rides for the duration for $29. They are regular buses but I imagine they may be quicker than tour buses.

When we're in the city we always see these "double decker" tour busses around where the people seem to be enjoying themselves...I've no idea the name of the line, but I'll be in the city on Sunday (next) for the NYC marathon and I'll try and pay closer attention.

Thanks - Gray Line was the company I was looking at as they seemed to go everywhere we needed apart from the Bronx Zoo

Hi, we have been to NYC three times and absolutely love it. My 1st trip we caught the Staten Island Ferry (free) and that takes about 1/2 hour to Staten Island, going past the Statue of Liberty - stunning views. You have to be a bit quick when it docks and you can get off and back on the same ferry so whole trip from Manhatten 1 hour. I would get a New York Pass which has free boat to Statue of Liberty built in. Also good for Empire State, Circle Line night cruise, Top of the Rock, various museums and the zoo. Well worth the money and you can skip some queues.

I have travelled with my 65 year old mother and also with husband and children so could advise you on other queries..... wish I was going, I love NY

Don't forget the Disney store on 5th Avenue
xx:wave:

Thanks - I will probably have LOADS more NY questions

Sadly the 5th Ave Disney Store has closed. They did open one in Times Square, though! Also recommend Toys R Us and FAO...even without kiddos they are fun places to see!

I know I'm going straight to Orlando from NY but I probably won't be able to resist having a peek at the Disney store! FAO....is that the store witht he giant piano keys?

daveann
22-11-2011, 05:04 PM
i found some good info on this site diane http://www.viator.com/New-York-City-tours/d687-ttd?pref=02&aid=g3318

Isafari
22-11-2011, 08:49 PM
i found some good info on this site diane http://www.viator.com/New-York-City-tours/d687-ttd?pref=02&aid=g3318

Thank you - popped it onto my fav list and will have a good look at it later :thumbsup: