PDA

View Full Version : Oh! Oh! Oh! Need your help!

Tink
27-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I've heard many of you talk about how wonderful duck fat is to use to saute things in, like potatoes (I think)? :unsure:

Anyway, we've never ever seen it here until just recently when we found two small containers at a local specialty shop.

So, of course we bought them! :lol:

Now. Whadda' we do wit' 'em? :unsure:

HELP!!!! :mental:

daveann
27-11-2011, 04:10 PM
you use it for roasting potatoes and parsnips par boil your potatoes while heating the duck fat in the oven then pop your pototoes into it for divine roasties :)

daveann
27-11-2011, 04:11 PM
just to add i re use mine i strain the bits out and re use a couple of times before i discard it :)

Kate
27-11-2011, 04:35 PM
You can use dripping too - its beef fat and is yummy on roast potatos!

Very important to let it get nice and hot though, otherwise its of no use cus its just a big lump!

arkvilla
27-11-2011, 04:48 PM
You can use dripping too - its beef fat and is yummy on roast potatos!

Very important to let it get nice and hot though, otherwise its of no use cus its just a big lump!

I prefer beef fat to duck fat

The juices from the beef are lovely in gravy too

Sandra

Deb
27-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I second what Ann says.....parboil the potatoes, then drain them in the pan, then shake the pan about very vigorously so that the outsides get roughened up. This helps the fat absorb and the coating get crispy. The insides will get fluffy. As the lady said, heat the fat till it is smoking hot, then make sure the potatoes are fully basted in it before popping in the oven Duck fat and goose fat are wonderful for roast potatoes. You can make traditional larger ones this way, or ones that are chopped into small cubes, scattered with salt, pepper and thyme. You can saute these little ones too which is how I prefer them.

Or depending on how much you have you could make an authentic Duck Confit as they have in France. I love that. And yes, re use it!

A teensy bit of info here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/duck_fat

Britchick
27-11-2011, 08:24 PM
the only other thing i would add is if you have a heavy tray then heat your fat in the oven, put the ring on the top on place the tray on that while you tip in the potatoes, help to start it them off really well. You're going to need a high oven for about 45 mins to get perfection

Tink
27-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Brit, I don't understand a word you said! :eek:

Debs, and Daveann, thanks. We do love confit too...

I know how to use beef, it's just the duck we've never had.

Wouldn't have thought of straining and keeping. Thanks for that too!

So, just to be sure I understand, you can use it in the oven to roast, or on top of the stove to saute?

Britchick
27-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Take the heated fat out of the oven and put it on the burner/ring (can't remember what you call them :sorry:) to keep the fat really hot while you add the potatoes, does that make sense? :unsure:

Tink
27-11-2011, 11:19 PM
YES!!! Thanks for that, Brit. It was the ring bit that confused me. I had no clue what you were talking about.

Burner or jet, depending upon fuel, is what they are called here. Burner for electric and as a general term, or jet if gas.

Wendy
28-11-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm one of the few people who doesn't like duck fat, I just don't like the taste. I prefer beef and I do the same as Sandra and use it for my gravy as well :)

I also use some of the turkey "jelly" when I cook my roast potatoes on Christmas day.

Esmeralda
28-11-2011, 10:46 PM
I use goose fat so think that duck fat must be similar? As everyone says halve and quarter the pots, par boil to soften then drain and steep in the hot sizzling duck fat, baste and sprinkle with salt, adds to the crispiness.... I bake for 10 mins and then turn then over with a big spoon making sure the pots get another coat of hot sizzling fat, then I sprinkle once more with salt before finishing them off in the very hot oven... yummy!.

When cooked spoon pots onto kitchen paper with a slotted spoon to drain the pots briefly, and let the duck fat in dish go cold and keep for another time, it's too precious (expensive) to discard after one use.