View Full Version : Very Sad News - RIP Mick ( ukwdwnut )

01-12-2011, 05:02 PM
This afternoon we learnt that our dear friend Mick ( ukwdwnut ) had passed away suddenly today.

Mick helped me setup wdisneysecrets and without his prodding "Keith is it working YET????????" I'm not sure we'd have ever got off the ground.

Mick was waiting for a double heart and lung transplant, but yet despite that he continued to be the same upbeat Mick we knew and loved. Even a few days ago he was talking about what he was going to do with his "new life".

I'm not sure when I first met Mick but it feels like forever ago and I feel like I've lost someone whom I just assumed would always be there.

For the rest of us, we're left with wonderful memories of Mick and a reminder to think of those we just assume will always be with us and give them an extra special call/visit/hug.

RIP Mick, I bet you're telling Steve Jobs exactly why Windows was better than Mac and knowing you, you're winning! We'll miss you! Our thoughts, hopes and prayers tonight are with Denise and the children. xx

01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Oh Keith, that was a beautiful tribute :hug2:

And I can SO see him saying that to Steve Jobs :yes:

Mick was always there for a laugh or a naughty joke. He was a fun guy and friend. He will be missed. I knew he was very ill but this is still such a shock to me.

01-12-2011, 05:07 PM
So very, very sad..... It was Mick that persuaded me to stay with the Forums when I first ventured in. I'll always be grateful for that.

RIP Mick.

01-12-2011, 05:07 PM
No words can describe how reading this made me feel :(
My thoughts are very much with mick's family :comfort:
He was a legend on here such very sad news :(

01-12-2011, 05:16 PM
So terribly sad :( I don't even know how many years I have known Mick for online. I really don't know what to say. My thoughts are of course with his family. I always remember he spoke of them with such pride.

RIP mate :redroses:

01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Many of us have known Mick for ages which makes the news even harder to bear.
He will be sorely missed by all at Secrets that`s for sure.

RIP mate :redroses:

01-12-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm so shocked.....

I first met Mick online in 2005 when planning our family trip to WDW.

I never got to meet him in real life but he was generous and helpful with my technical queries, sending me things I needed to install and such like.

Goodbye my friendly tech man, may you rest in peace :hug2:

01-12-2011, 05:31 PM
RIP Mick, you will be missed.

thoughts with the family you loved so so much

They have some fantasmic memories, you made sure of that

01-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Although I never met Mick in person he was always at the ready with help and kind words. Even when I first set up my photography business 7 years ago he helped me with his daughter Lauren modelling for me.

He was a fantastic person, great online buddy and will sorely be missed.

RIP Mick xx

01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
We will miss you more than you'll ever know Mick. You have been a dear friend for many years.
Rest in peace.

01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Just saw this on FB and was absolutely shocked. So, so sad as I know how excited he was to be planning a new trip after his ops.

I met Mick just the once and he was such a nice guy. His family will be devastated and my heart goes out to them

Rest peacefully Mick

01-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Absolutely stunned and shocked at the news. I first met Mick at a Disney meet a few years ago and it was such fun chatting to him. He even went out of his way to offer me a lift home (many miles away). Mick was a great guy. I had my Illuminations CD on and was thinking about you Mick on the drive home. My heart goes out to all the family.

Mick (left) on his trusty Toshiba.

01-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I shared a birthday with Mick and was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times. Will always remember laughing as he struggled to light his barbie when we had the first New Forest meet. :point:

Bye birthday buddy. Hugs to Denise, Mikey and Lauren. :hug2:

01-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Rest in peace mate, your Jokes (even the one's bashing Apple :wink:) will be missed so much. You lived life to the full each and every day and were always on hand to help anyone however you could. It's sad that you are leaving behind two children and your lovely wife, who you were so proud of, but I hope you know just how proud of you they, and all of the members here at secrets, are. We could always tell you were smiling and joking when you posted and your positive outlook on life kept so many of us happy through sad times.

RIP Mick.

01-12-2011, 06:08 PM
RIP my friend! :redroses:

I sure wish I'd known him personally. Ever since Slowhand talked me into joining this august group, Mick has always been one of the numerous people on here that I call "friend". Even though we'd never met.

I would have loved to have had the opportunity to share a pint with him and argue endlessly about why Steve Jobs and I were right and he was wrong! Of course, I would have lost. But that's half the fun.

Rest now buddy. We'll all be along someday and then we can take up where we left off.

Tom (:macwave:... this is not a good day.)

01-12-2011, 06:13 PM
He was such a fun guy. I'll miss his jokes and quirky humor. (Sometimes I just didn't get it) I will so totally remember the night he was part of the "Help Bev fix her BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!" He was always willing to lend a hand or give some sort of encouragement.

You will be missed Mick...

01-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh nooooooo this can't have happened... he had things to do :sorry: places to go....:sorry:

01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Such sad news. Thoughts are with his family.

01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Very sad news. Sending my condolences to his family.

01-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Heartwrenching. He loved life, loved his family and loved his friends. He truly lived. And he will be truly missed.

01-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Oh nooooooo this can't have happened... he had things to do :sorry: places to go....:sorry:

Now we're all just going to have to do it for him

01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
OMG, this is indeed shocking news. I am so sorry to hear this. He did indeed seem so upbeat about his future. I too never met him personally but have chatted with him online a few times.

RIP Mate

01-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I cannot express in writing how I feel

I know you know we love you and how much we will miss you

RIP dearest Mick

01-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Well, there is nothing more I can add! Denise rang me this afternoon on my mobile with the news in floods of tears (understandable!!) - I was on the M25 at the time & just could not believe what I was hearing, I knew Mick was due for the operation & was looking forward to "getting it out of the way" & his Disney trip!

Mick & I have kept in touch for the last few years, ever since we met at Disney meets, some of which were held at our house celebrating July 4th - he had the idea of "streaming" the meet live which went down well with on-line watchers!! He was always willing to help, had a smile on his face & was the first to put his name down for a social gathering!

I'll miss the chats, the texts (even the risky ones!!) & his general goodness to everyone, at times like this you always wonder "why?"

My heart goes out to Denise & the girls & family, you'll be sorely missed buddy, but there'll always be the memories!

01-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Really don't know what to say I feel so sad.

Have chatted to Mick for years and first met him in 2004 when I first found myself a single Mum.We all went camping and had so much fun.
We camped a few times and we stayed with them one summer and they stayed with us for a break when Mick first became ill.We have had theme park trips where Mick and I both screamed like girls and loads of photo memories of our families together.

He was a true Disney fan and we spent hors planning our dream trips.

Mick I'm so sad you didn't get to go on yours or stay on site but our trip next year will be in your memory and we will do everything you ever wanted to do.

I'm still in such shock and have shed many tears and hugged the kids who called him Grandad and flicked his ears.

You will never be forgotten Hun and I will think of you fondly when we watch Wishes next year.

My thoughts are with Denise,Mikey and Lauren.

RIP Mick and say hi and thanks to Walt from us.

01-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I am so so sad right now. Mick was the heart of this place. :sorry:

It feels strange to be crying for someone I've never met in person, but I really feel like I knew him. He was so generous to all and so kind and positive.

Sympathies to Denise and the kids, we've lost a good man. :redroses:

01-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Very sad news my thoughts and prayers are with his family

01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Such a sad day. Feel numb.

Like Teresa we have known Mick for a fair few years now and met up with him and his lovely family numerous times and I will always credit him for being one of the instigators of the first (scary for me!) meet! My world would be a completely different place now if I hadn't gone on that first camping trip back in 2004!

My memories of Mick will always include Disney, theme parks and barbeques and that is how I will remember him.

My thoughts are with Denise, Lauren and Mikey and all his family.

RIP Mick

01-12-2011, 07:32 PM
R.I.P Mick
My thoughts are with Denise, Mikey and Lauren, he was such a proud Dad.

01-12-2011, 07:40 PM
I am so very sorry to hear that Mick has passed. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to communicate with hime here and on two Disney forums over the years. He is actually the one who invited me to join him on the two other boards.

I have always enjoyed his posts, reports and he was always grand and generous. I considered him a friend, a buddy, and as he always signed his communications, a mate.

I was so saddened to first hear of his illness but he met it with a great deal of courage and had been hopeful and positive. He asked me to give him the skinny on AKL from my upcoming trip. Mick, you will be on my mind, my brother and I will have the first pint in your honor.

Prayers and condolences to his family.

You will be missed my friend.

01-12-2011, 07:46 PM
i've met Mick a number of times and first on that fateful camping trip. I used to take the pee out of him all the time and he took it really well. I'm so sad, he was so young and he never got to make that trip :sorry:The overwhelming thing i remember about him was the pride he had for his children, it was in every fibre of his being. Lauren and Mikey if you are reading this you were your Dad's world, be proud and continue to be successful in his honour. Love to you Denise xx
RIP Nut xxx

01-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Wanted to add my most sincere condolences. Such sad news.

01-12-2011, 08:05 PM
There really are no words. This place will never be the same without you..but your spirit will always be a part of all of us. Your joy and laughter is something we should all strive for..and will. The next time I stand in front of that castle I will be thinking of you and how much fun you must be having now. Rest easy..:hug2:

01-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I never managed to meet Mick in person but have spoken to him so many times over the last 7 years.

I still cannot believe you are gone mate, can't imagine coming to secrets and not seeing your posts. You could always lift me up when I was down, you always managed to crack a joke or 2 even when you must have been struggling yourself.
It all feels strangely surreal, when I first saw the news I just wanted it to be wrong, wanted it all to be a mistake, 'cos you were just larger than life and it's just not right that you're not here.

Thankyou for your help, understanding and humour, you will be very much missed
RIP Mick xx

mainecoon lover
01-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Such very sad news. RIP Mick, you were a lovely man. It was great to meet you. Thoughts are with your family

01-12-2011, 08:45 PM
i've met Mick a number of times and first on that fateful camping trip. I used to take the pee out of him all the time and he took it really well. I'm so sad, he was so young and he never got to make that trip :sorry:The overwhelming thing i remember about him was the pride he had for his children, it was in every fibre of his being. Lauren and Mikey if you are reading this you were your Dad's world, be proud and continue to be successful in his honour. Love to you Denise xx
RIP Nut xxx

Yes, so true. He was a very proud dad.

01-12-2011, 09:04 PM

such sad news

rip mick

01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
I couldn't believe the news when Johnie sent me the text message this morning. Such a sad day. RIP Mick...

01-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Just heard this sad news and wanted to express my deepest sympathies to Mick's family and friends.

01-12-2011, 09:46 PM
It still doesn't seem true, that Mick is no longer here with us :(

He was a good friend to me, he made me laugh and picked me up when I was down, I'll miss him.

If only he's had chance to go on his holiday, he was making so many plans, life is so cruel.

My thought are with his family, rest in peace Mick, you will be missed :redroses:

01-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Thank you Mick for everything. Good show, Sir. R.I.P. And all thoughts with family, friends, and all those who knew him and will miss him.

01-12-2011, 10:33 PM
It will feel so weird to not see his posts.

It seems like our complete puzzle is now missing an important piece. :sorry:

My thoughts are with his family. :sorry:

01-12-2011, 11:21 PM
This news has left a big whole in my heart for the loss of a dear friend. There is a bright star over Billericay tonight that even rain and clouds cant hide....

Goodnight dear friend

01-12-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't come here very often, but I knew Mick on another forum also. It's such a shock to hear that he has passed, and he will surely be missed. My thoughts are with his family and all of his friends at this very difficult time.

01-12-2011, 11:57 PM
i still cant believe it

i dont like that one minute someone is here and the next there gone

it makes you realise how precious life is and that you should never take anything for granted

it has definately made me think tonight

"So love the people who treat you right. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands. If it changes your life, let it. Forgive quickly. God never said life would be easy."

02-12-2011, 01:46 AM

Goodbye my friend...may you forever be in Disney...

02-12-2011, 02:02 AM
I just heard this news elsewhere . I can not express how very sad this has made me feel :cry1:
Mick made me laugh out loud several times, but the one I remember most was the time he said he bought his wife Denise a bag for Mother's Day, a new vacumn cleaner . :lol:
He was a dear, sweet friend and my heart is truly aching right now .
Since my DH has COPD, we spoke often through PM's of his health issues .
I had no idea that it had gotten to the point of him needing double transplants .
I'm sure he's not only talking to Steve , but Walt as well . Telling him all about his dream and how huge it has become, new parks, DVC, cruises, etc .
Makes me so sad that he never made it back to WDW , I was going to ask, but Brit answered that reading through the posts .
My thoughts & prayers are with Denise, his children and his family .
RIP Mick, I will never forget you . :redroses:

02-12-2011, 04:07 AM
:sorry:Just saw this and I am indeed shocked and saddened. I know he was very ill but i truly believed that the surgery was going to give him time. we talked on several occassions about illness and my heart goes out to him. You fought with courage and bravery mick, if I do make it it this December to AKL you will be there in my thoughts and prayers. My heart goes out to your family.May it be all that you want it to be.:hug2:

02-12-2011, 09:21 AM
I was deeply saddened to hear about Mick's passing. Due to lack of funds and no chance of US holidays over the last few years, I've not been active on any of the Disney forums, here and elsewhere, for a long time, but have had text chat and joke exchanges with Mick almost weekly (sometimes daily) until his last message, last week. I'll miss his warped sense of humour, his wonderfully non-PC jokes and his extremely warm personality enormously. God bless you, Mick, RIP mate.

02-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I came back here this morning hoping this wasn't real, I'm stunned.

Mick was indeed immensely proud of his family, through his posts we could feel it shining through.

Denise, Lauren and Mikey...I'm thinking of you and hope you know how proud he was of you all xxx :hug2::hug2::hug2:

02-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I didn't sleep well last night, I was thinking about Mick, the way he always made people laugh and often groan with his silly jokes. How he remained so upbeat and positive when there were so many things to keep knocking him back all the time. His love of Disney and how he was planing his holiday, how much he loved his family and how proud he was of his Lauren and Mikey, the list goes on :sigh:

When he became ill and was in hospital all those years ago, he had so much trouble getting help, we spent days and hours getting things just right so that in the end, he finally got the help he needed. We never met but we spoke often in good times and bad, he was a good listener was our Mick and I'll miss him :sigh:

I can't remember how many years I've known him, but I am so glad that I was lucky enough to call him a friend.

Mick wouldn't want us to be sad, he's probably somewhere now, getting together everyone who shares his love of Disney and starting his own site.

So for now, until we meet him again, wherever we go, whatever we do, Mick will be with us all, he'll get his trip back to the Mouse, not just once, but many, many times when his friends here go back. He won't ever be forgotten, he has touched too many lives for that to happen :cry2:

02-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Such sad news - our thoughts are with his family and friends.

02-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I still can't believe this sad news is true, I was never lucky enough to meet Mick in person but I spent many hours chatting online and via text.
I knew he was unwell but didn't think this would happen.
He will be sadly missed by all.
RIP Dear friend, say hello to Walt for me.

02-12-2011, 02:02 PM
I cant believe what im actually reading, to say im shocked is a complete understatement :(

I first starting talking to Mick back in about 2004 i think it was, i liked him alot - he added me to his mailing list and since then i received alot of emails - some which left me explaining to my husband why i was receiving jokes like that from someone i had never actually met!!! :lol:

Your memory lives on Mick, you were a truely wonderful person and im proud to say that you were my friend - you are going to be very much missed around here. My thoughts are with his family and many other friends

RIP Nutty :hug2:

03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
i am very sad to to read this news.
my thoughts are with all of mick's family:hug2:
god bless you mick
sara x

04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Such terribly sad news. As I said on FB I hope you our people watching on a bench somewhere. I never met Mick either,but that doesn't make him less of a friend. He was technical whizz and always offered to help with any issues. He was a cheeky one to and always ready to fight For Mr Gates and the right to recline. RIP Mick and thank you for blessing our cyber lives. Xxx

05-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I've been away from this forum for a few weeks and am very shocked to learn that mick has passed away.
He and his family only live 10 mins away and it would have been lovely to meet him. I am sure he will be very missed.
Love to Micks family at this tough time :hug2: :hug2:

24-12-2011, 06:51 PM
I've been off line for a few weeks and I'm shocked to hear of the loss of Mick. Mick helped me through a pretty tough time last year and even this year he was a star to me despite his illness.

Of course I was never lucky to meet him in person in this life but I'll make damn sure I'll meet him in the next.

All my love Mick.

18-02-2012, 01:22 PM
I am so shocked :sorry:

Maybe little bit too late but will light the candle for the family.

So sad.....

18-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I am so shocked :sorry:

Maybe little bit too late but will light the candle for the family.

So sad.....

Never too late. :hug2:

18-02-2012, 10:33 PM
You are not late, Jeff. It was a hideous shock to all of us. :hug2: A candle is a beautiful way to remember him.