PDA

View Full Version : hard water help

foreverducky
11-12-2011, 11:58 PM
My current residence has really hard water. Let's just say that my water always runs with an orange hue.

I need suggestions for my clothes and hair. I bought some Malibu hair treatment stuff, and am hoping for the best. Anyone know about it, or have another suggestion? Also, how am I suppose to get the orange shade out of my whites. I thought about getting the Clorox for color.

Any suggestions in general would be great.

Tink
12-12-2011, 12:27 AM
The clorox might actually be a problem. Sometimes it sets the orange in. The nly real help I know of is to have a water softener...

My Da has really hard water, but not the sort of hardness you have (sounds like iron???) rather lime on his end. Makes a terrible mess out of the machines in the house, but doesn't hurt the clothes.

foreverducky
12-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I think he has a water softener as he mentioned putting salt in...or am I thinking of something else.

Yep, it's iron.

Tink
12-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Nope, that's a softener. You are thinking of the right thing. Not sure why it's not effective enough on the iron to keep it from discoloring the white clothes. I used to have neighbors who had that problem. They simply didn't do anything white, ever. It always discolored. They didn't have a softener though...

foreverducky
12-12-2011, 12:52 AM
I just think its really bad here. We had a problem with it a little bit ago, because the water smelled and tasted so bad you couldn't brush your teeth with it. So in reality, I think it's much better than it could be.

Tink
12-12-2011, 01:58 AM
Wow. That is pretty icky!!! You are not having a good time of it in WV are you? :sorry: :hug2:

foreverducky
12-12-2011, 10:04 AM
No, I'm not Tink, not at all. :sigh:

Tinkfan
12-12-2011, 06:51 PM
:thumbsdown:Oooh, I feel for you, we had well water at our old house for forever! It was just like you high in iron oxide. I did my clothes at the laundry for over 20 years! Yes me and the whole family!! I had every type of filter and softner known to mankind. I used to use hydrachloric acid to get the stains out of the tub and toilet.NASTY!!!!

Tink
13-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Now that you mention it, Sister Tinkfan that was the issue with the neighbor I used to have... iron oxide in their well water. Their sinks and toilets were stained dark, dark orange. Ick.

Foreverducky :hug2: How much longer do you have to be in WV? :hug2:

foreverducky
13-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I think my countdown timer said something like 244 days. I think it's absolutely gorgeous here, but that can't make up for all the troubles.

Wendy
13-12-2011, 12:42 PM
:hug2: :hug2:

Tinkfan
13-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Oh and BTW Tink is right, do NOT use clorax if you wash at home!!!!!!

foreverducky
13-12-2011, 11:14 PM
I guess I will have to search the detergent aisle and see what's being advertised for iron/hard water.

Thank you Wendy.

Watchinherskip
14-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Google search turned this up:

Launder with a commercial rust remover (such as RoVer®, Rit Rust Remover®, Iron-Out®, Miracle-Rid-Iron®, or Whink®). The important ingredient in these compounds is an acid-usually oxalic or hydrofluoric acid. The remover ingredients combine with the iron and loosen it from the fabric, then hold it in suspension in the wash water. The compounds are poisonous if ingested. Use them carefully according to the manufacturers' directions, and rinse the clothes thoroughly. Acid remaining deteriorates fabrics.

GULP.....may opt for the orange clothes...I mean orange is the new white, right?:tongue:

foreverducky
14-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Google search turned this up:

Launder with a commercial rust remover (such as RoVer®, Rit Rust Remover®, Iron-Out®, Miracle-Rid-Iron®, or Whink®). The important ingredient in these compounds is an acid-usually oxalic or hydrofluoric acid. The remover ingredients combine with the iron and loosen it from the fabric, then hold it in suspension in the wash water. The compounds are poisonous if ingested. Use them carefully according to the manufacturers' directions, and rinse the clothes thoroughly. Acid remaining deteriorates fabrics.

GULP.....may opt for the orange clothes...I mean orange is the new white, right?:tongue:

I may look for those, but sheesh....it's like getting a prescription. Sure, you don't have a cough anymore, but you can't pee, can't sleep, have dry mouth and gas. :lol: