View Full Version : Christmas at Old Key West

23-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Well, haven't said too much about this upcoming holiday, but will post here today and throughout the stay.

Herself's family has arrived (sister from AZ) and is checked in at SSR. They'll be moving to OKW on the 24th.

We'll check in to OKW today. We've huge amounts of things to do to get ready. :sigh: The days slipped by and now here we are; not ready at all.

Oh, and I finally came down with whatever it was they are passing around at work. :sigh: Usually I fight it off, but not this time.

We are planning on check in today with no real idea of what will then happen.

Tomorrow? No huge plans but I'd like to do something like EPCOT (now THERE is a surprise) or DHS. However, might do DHS tonight. :shrug:

We'll not do 7 fishes this year (I simply just can't) but did cave when a certain little voice was added to a certain "big" voice in asking me for white clam sauce and pasta so we'll earmark that for Christmas Eve then. If things work out, I'm going to try and slip over to Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine for a bit.

Christmas Day will have Herself's family all together (well, those that are here...) and we'll have ham, turkey, and all the rest of that stuff in the OKW villa. Not sure if it will be our Villa or Herself's sister's.

Boxing Day we check out and come home (but have a late lunch together with Herself's family again) and get ready for the work day on the 27th.

As I type it out it doesn't seem too exciting! :unsure:

It's one of those vacations that had plans, then others became involved so our original plans kind of fell by the wayside, so we are taking things as they unfold now.

If I get the opportunity to take photos I'll email them to our long suffering Wendy, who will then post them here. :yes:

Take care everyone and have a wonderful Christmas. :hug2:

23-12-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm sure it will all work out fine Tink so just have a lovely Christmas, 1st's are always hard, but your mama is with you in your heart :hug2:

23-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Have a fantastic time Tink.
It`s such a real shame that you folks in the US don`t enjoy the extended days off work that most of the Brits get. :sorry:

23-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes, she is Sandra. Thank you. :hug2:

We had a family crisis yesterday with a relative in California. It's all worked out well, and will hopefully stay that way. I'm focusing on that too; that good things happen, eh? :yes:

We have the silliest little Christmas tree we are bringing. Once it's set up at OKW I'll send a photo to Wendy.

Ya'll are gonna' LAUUUUUGH!!!!! :D

23-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry things didn't work out as you had hoped with just the 4 of you :hug2: You will have a day of mixed emotions, but Mama is with you :yes: and you have a special little boy that will be full of excitement and will have plenty of hugs to help you :hug2:

23-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Yes, that's what we'll do. Focus on the little guy, eh? :yes: We'll muddle through with all the extra family... nothing like aggravation from others to keep your mind off your own self pity, eh? :lol: :sorry:

Terry, we only get one day for Christmas. The other days are deducted from our vacation hours. However, I should really be using sick hours. :(

We'll survive. :) Disney can imbue some Christmas spirit into anyone, eh? (Even grumpy Ol' Tink)! :D

24-12-2011, 01:33 AM
We arrived at about 3:00 pm. Our villa was ready at check in! That's always such a nice thing when it happens.

We unloaded the car (whew!!) and put everything away for our stay. The villa is in very nice condition, and everything is clean. There were no sheets for the twin pull out sleeper, but a quick call to housekeeping and that was quickly resolved.

We had our traditional Bud with lime after unpacking. Something we always do at OKW! LOL.

We dined in our villa; yummy cheeseburgers, broccoli and too many snacks. :D

Herself is going to the airport tonight to pick up her niece who is flying in from Arizona. I'll stay at the villa with the boy (and my miserable "cold" ).

The weather is wonderful Warmer than usual (reminds me of that first Christmas we were at WDW all those years ago) and people are swimming in the pools.

There is a list of activities and events here at OKW for tomorrow and Christmas day.

The boy is in bed, and we are in the master bedroom watching a Disney Christmas Show (sorry, I didn't catch the name).

Nothing too terribly exciting, eh? :sorry: But it is relaxing!

OH! Speaking of exciting. There was a knock upon the door a few minutes ago. Two young CMs were there with an incredibly beautiful bouquet of flowers and a beautiful stocking (red velvet with Mickey) for the boy. Talk about SURPRISED!!! :mental:

Thank you, Dearest Wendy and Chris for such a lovely surprise. The stocking has been placed under the tiny tree until Christmas. :D

Oh, and we've told the boy we "don't know" if Santa can find children in WDW as there are sooooo many little kids here and Santa expects them to be at home. :yes:

We've told him that's why we brought a few gifts for him (from my sister) just in case Santa can't find him... evil, aren't we? :D

Take care all! :wave:

24-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Sounds like your relaxing and that's the most important thing. Hope you have a lovely Christmas :)

24-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Well i think it all sounds wonderful!
Have a truely magical christmas - im sure you will!
Your mum is with you Tink, always will be :hug2:

24-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Aw at the surprise XXXXXXXXXX :hug2: Have a great time and hope you feel better tomorrow X:hug2:

24-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Sorry to hear you've got a "cold." :( Andrew and I have been fighting off the sore throat and sniffles for the last couple of days. I keep holding my breath waiting to see if it will get worse, but so far it seems we've been moving fast enough to stay a step ahead of it. Massive hugs to you and herself as well as the boy...I'm sending loads of pixie dust your way for a magical and relaxing holiday...it can't help but work, too...since I'm so close and all :-)

24-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Oh! Thank you all! :grouphug:

Becca, there was a "bug" going around the staff at work and I managed to evade it until now. :( My luck! LOL.

The weather couldn't be nicer though, eh? At least I'm not miserable in rainy weather! :D

Herself returned home at about 1:00 am. Her niece was hungry so they had to stop for her to get something to eat. They are all still asleep right now.

I think it's bagels, bacon, coffee, juice and eggnog for breakfast. :D

I'll stop by later to share whatever it is we've been doing!

24-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Eggnog! I knew I would miss something! Sorry the bug managed to catch you, here's hoping it will move along quickly. The weather has been AMAZING. We've (yes! Even me!) have been in the pool several times this week. And dare I say, while it HAS been crowded, we've managed to do and see everything we wish with minimal effort (except Soarin') and the crowds haven't been overbearing...fingers crossed that continues.

Feel better, friend...you have much to celebrate! xoxo

24-12-2011, 12:28 PM
I also think it all sounds good!

You know, no one has to be swinging from the rafters to make it exciting. :D

24-12-2011, 01:28 PM
They don't?! Well then, I'd better tell Keith to get down! ;)

Becca, Publix has a decent egg nog. :yes:

The boy's Da said that Cape May was not busy last night! :eek: Everyone was shocked. We've not been in the parks yet. Not sure what is going on today. Herself will help her sister move to OKW, as they need two cars... after that, dunno.

I know a little boy who is itching to get to a park though, so that needs to happen. Of course that great big red stocking wrapped in clear cell wrap is torturing him. I'm sure it's whispering "open me! open me!"

The joy of Christmas is the anticipation of a child, isn't it?

01-01-2012, 06:47 PM
:wave:Hey Sis, Sorry I missed all this but we too have all been fighting the bug. Ben's has turned into pneumonia and is on massive amounts of steroids, Ty is the same and I've been fighting bronchitis for 6 days. Please finish your report, can't wait to hear about the rest especially Seth!!!!( sorry, it's the kids I do love to hear about especially at X-Mas! :hug2:)

01-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you are fighting off bronchitis. :( Hope your family gets well soon! :hug2:

Well, lessee...where were we. Ah yes.

OK, so the boy's Da returned to the Villa on Christmas Eve after the boy was sound asleep and promptly dropped everything he was carrying. :rolleyes: Fortunately for him, he didn't wake the boy.

Last second presents wrapped and a few hours sleep until Christmas Morning.

Seth woke at a decent hour! (Honestly don't remember but it was after 7:00 am so that's decent for me). He opened his stockings, and had breakfast and then proceeded to wait...

Herself's sister and family came shortly after and we all proceeded to wait...

Herself's Mother was supposed to be there by 9:00 am...

10:00 ...
10:30... (Children STILL waiting and now I'm starting to freak out wondering if she's dead on the tourist traffic road somewhere)

FINALLY at 11:30 am she arrives with her sister and the other family members. They changed their minds about going to midnight mass and went to morning mass instead and didn't bother to tell anyone.

I must say those little kids were excellent waiting to open their presents!!

Presents were opened (one for you, we'll watch, one for you, we'll watch) and all went well.

Food brought out for dinner and the day wended on with children playing, moving between villas (their's was two doors down from ours) eating this, drinking that. Weather was nice!

We briefly tossed around the idea of going into a park, but OKW was beautiful and no one really wanted to interfere in the flow of the day.

When all were at Herself's sister's villa, at one point I escaped back to ours and spent some time alone. Never an easy thing, those "firsts."

The next day saw us all packing up to go home, which was accomplished fairly well. Tons to load in the cars!

Herself and I were off to work the following day, and the week of Christmas played out without us.

We had an impromptu NYE party last night, and are simply relaxing the 1st of the year away.

All in all, a decent way to spend Christmas, but am glad this one is over. :sorry:

Hoping that 2012 brings some measure of easing of grief, healing for those of us who are battling illnesses, and beautiful healthy babies to our Secrets family.

Take care all. :grouphug:

05-01-2012, 12:23 AM
:hug2:Well sis, it sounds pretty good for a first, I hope that the boy was able to enjoy and that the two of you were able to enjoy him enjoying:tongue::tongue::tongue:. We had Ty back at the docs today and are waiting to see if he has mono:thumbsdown:

05-01-2012, 03:49 PM
When all were at Herself's sister's villa, at one point I escaped back to ours and spent some time alone. Never an easy thing, those "firsts."

:hug2: No, they aren't.

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day...and what patient children!!!

05-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Tink I hope this year brings some peace. Happy new Year to you.

05-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Im sorry to read you so sad Tink

I hope you are feeling better, both physically and emotionally :hug2:

Much love and wishes for a wonderful 2012

06-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Oh thank you so much, Mari. :hug2:

08-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Gosh I didn't realise it had been so long since I last posted, I completely missed your Chistmas updates!

Well done you for making it through AND keeping everyone up to date with your celebrations. :hug2::hug2:

I hope you're feeling better by now, it's horrible being poorly over a holiday period at the best of times. :hug2:

09-01-2012, 01:49 AM
You know Mairead? It's taking me a long time to get over whatever it is that I have/had... I do feel better than I did over Christmas but still don't feel well.