PDA

View Full Version : Kindle fire?

keith
28-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried a Kindle Fire yet?

I was quite surprised that they were still in stock everywhere given the price, so I thought I'd give one a try.

I knew that all the reviews said it wasn't an ipad but that aside, it's a heck of a good product in my humble opinion!

Smaller/lighter than the ipad, more booklike in terms of holding it with one hand to read and yet still capable of having apps on it.

I must admit I think they've got a real hit with it and I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about it!

BUTTERHEAD1
28-12-2011, 05:16 PM
I bought one each for my son and daughter and they both love them. I havent had the opportunity to play with one yet but they look pretty cool. The price was definitely right.....199

keith
28-12-2011, 05:42 PM
I bought one each for my son and daughter and they both love them. I havent had the opportunity to play with one yet but they look pretty cool. The price was definitely right.....199

The rumour is that Amazon make a few dollars loss on each one sold which they hope to recoup (and then some) by the sale of books/videos/apps etc from it. Having used it a while I can definitely see how that could be the case!

uscwest
28-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I bought one for Donna for Christmas. So far she loves it. The only drawback was that I also bought her a gift certificate from Amazon to allow her to make purchases. She loaded the certificate but it still required her to submit a credit card also.

catrancher
28-12-2011, 06:51 PM
One of my DW's grandson's had one on his list and so she of course bought it for him. I was prepared for a rather bad experience with it given some of the reviews I've seen but I've got to say, it really was pretty good. I was a bit surprised. Of course, I didn't get to play with it but a few moments (after all, it was her grandsons) but for the time I did get to try it, I was rather impressed.

Tom (:macwave:... interesting...)

Wendy
28-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Have you bought one Keith or just played with it :unsure:

keith
28-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Have you bought one Keith or just played with it :unsure:

Bought one

Wendy
28-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Bought one

You and your gadgets :lol:

keith
28-12-2011, 11:03 PM
You and your gadgets :lol:

I know :lol: hopeless

keith
28-12-2011, 11:04 PM
I bought one for Donna for Christmas. So far she loves it. The only drawback was that I also bought her a gift certificate from Amazon to allow her to make purchases. She loaded the certificate but it still required her to submit a credit card also.

there's a nifty way around that... I guess you've already done it all but if you need a get around let me know ;-)

daveann
02-04-2012, 03:52 PM
so keith now your back in the uk the kindle fire does it work over here is it still ticking all the boxes just very intrested to hear how its going? :)

keith
02-04-2012, 04:19 PM
so keith now your back in the uk the kindle fire does it work over here is it still ticking all the boxes just very intrested to hear how its going? :)

Well the thing is, you have to know what I'm like, I get ALL the gadgets that come out. I'm crazy. Seriously crazy :lol: but I work with technology so I use that as an excuse to stay up to speed with them.

So I've tried the fire, the blackberry playbook, the ipad 3 and all sorts in the last few months.

I would say that the fire works best as what it was designed for, a book reading device with other capabilities if you need. It's nowhere near as good as the ipad on any of them, but then it's a HECK of a lot cheaper. It IS a nice size however and my father much prefers the size/weight of the fire to the ipad.

It does work over here although the appstore doesnt by default (there are ways around that though) and all in all it's a bit of a bargain for the price that it is!

Now it wouldnt be right to mention that Josh's fave the blackberry playbook is still around for 169. That's more expensive than the fire but not STUPIDLY so. After we last discussed the playbook on here, they launched an OS 2.0 upgrade to it which added some very nice features to it. I'll own up here and now, I don't like the playbook. I dont like the way it works, the appstore, the apps, it doesnt work for me *BUT* the screen is very nice indeed and it feels like a more expensive tablet than the fire. IF you can get on with it, the playbook would be an alternative for some people and it's already in the UK

daveann
02-04-2012, 04:31 PM
erm made some intresting points there. i really like my kindle but i love colour in magazines and pictures thats why i was intrested, i find the ipad a little heavy for reading but i really do like my ipad. must admit i like my gadgets also :)