PDA

View Full Version : Healthier food

UKTim
08-07-2008, 11:32 AM
With the credit crunch hitting, has anyone else changed the foods they buy and eat?

We've been buying much more local produce, fruit, vegetables and far less pre processed supermarket meals.

We've just weighed in again and have each lost lbs and feel better

neither of us cook very much but im enjoying it more. anyone else? are there any books on simple recipes for a more organic lifestyle?

UKTim
08-07-2008, 11:33 AM
I just thought, we're off to disney soon so theres no chance of eating anything other than burgers there :( we'll probably undo all the good work

mumof2
08-07-2008, 11:41 AM
well done for losing lbs! it really does pay to eat fresh local produce, both money and healthwise but i must admit i do find it a bit of a chore sometimes!

somewhere else round here there was a thread that contained info about eating more healthily at WDW - can't remember where it was though, sorry :( someone will be along to help if they haven't already done so by the time i finish typing!

Dawn
08-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Disney's getting a lot better on the food front. Most counter places have some sort of salad. Sandwiches are replacing burgers in a lot of places. It's getting better.

We haven't changed our food buying habits too much. We don't buy processed food anyway - just the ocassional emergency pizza. We're looking for the deals more often though. We grow a lot of our own produce which helps too.

keith
08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I guess I'm the anti-dawn :( all processed food probably full of salt and things. I'll keep an eye on the replies here in case there's some simple ways I can change. I'd LIKE to :( I feel like saying "im too busy" is a bit of a lame excuse but :/

Dawn
08-07-2008, 12:01 PM
You get a ready meal from the supermarket and it takes 30 minutes to heat in the oven. You could make a perfectly reasonable pasta dish in that time.

keith
08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
You get a ready meal from the supermarket and it takes 30 minutes to heat in the oven. You could make a perfectly reasonable pasta dish in that time.

thing is, I'm so bad that during those 30mins I'll go back on the computer and work :lol: whereas with the pasta I'd be making it, but you're right really. I wonder if there's a book of simple recipes for idiots

Tinkerbell
08-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I wonder if there's a book of simple recipes for idiots

Your wish is my command, oh great leader :gy:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/fighteritza/cooking.jpg

Dawn
08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
The internet is full of recipes. :wink:

keith
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Your wish is my command, oh great leader :gy:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/fighteritza/cooking.jpg

:lol:

Hmmm the front looks hard ;)

keith
08-07-2008, 12:33 PM
The internet is full of recipes. :wink:

I need to apply to one of those programmes where they get some great chef to come over make a meal and show you how to cook :D

mumof2
08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JP5Y2AWSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/0028619749/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books)how about this one :D

uscwest
08-07-2008, 02:13 PM
I just thought, we're off to disney soon so theres no chance of eating anything other than burgers there :( we'll probably undo all the good work
There are lots of items on Disney menus that are healthier than burgers. :p015:

Taja
08-07-2008, 02:15 PM

There are many healthier alternatives at both TS and QS locations in WDW these days. Not perfectly healthy, but certainly healthier. And you can purchase fruit from stands throughout WDW for snacks now, which is nice.

And then top it off with a Mickey bar or a Dole Whip! ;)

piglet
08-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Do you know that I've been to Disney about half a dozen times and have never, ever had a burger. Don't really like them unless I make them myself and like to try all the different things on the menus at the restaurants.

uscwest
08-09-2008, 01:43 AM
The BEST BURGER at WDW is at Beaches and Cream.

Johnie
08-09-2008, 06:57 AM
oh yes, I concur.

Just a note for those that want a salad at the counter service places. You can ask for it without the dressing or have the dressing put on the side. If they put it on for you, it is usually smothered.

mainecoon lover
08-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I always cook from scratch unless circumstances have not allowed me to. You can knock up a lovely pasta dish in 15 minutes. Dd hates conveniences foods, she will not eat a pasta dish that has jar sauce in it but if you make it from scratch she clears her plate.