PDA

View Full Version : Tonga Toast

Wendy
24-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Not only do I have the recipe but also a video showing you how to make the delicious Tonga Toast :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKp0gk_gMHY&hd=1

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS

Sugar-Cinnamon Ingredients:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Batter Ingredients:

4 large eggs
1 1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Tonga Toast Ingredients:

1 quart canola oil, for frying
1 loaf sourdough bread (uncut, 12 inches long)
2 large bananas, peeled

INSTRUCTIONS

For cinnamon-sugar:

Mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl (large enough to roll toast) with a fork until thoroughly blended. Set aside.

For batter:

Whip eggs in medium bowl (large enough to dip toast) until well beaten. Add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.

For Tonga toast:

1. Preheat oil to 350 degrees F in a large pot or a deep fryer. (If using a large pot, use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter or it will burn.)
2. Slice the bread into four three-inch-thick slices.
3. Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
4. Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
5. Dip stuffed bread into batter, covering both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off bread and place carefully into hot oil.
6. Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. If needed, turn toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on other side. Remove and drain excess oil.
7. Roll toast in cinnamon-sugar. Repeat for each piece of toast.

Tink
24-01-2012, 04:30 AM
Way, way, WAY too much work! :eek: If I'm going to have it, I'll let Disney do the cooking. :yes:

(It's too much on the sweet side for me).

robertcraig
24-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Must try it this year

Wendy
24-01-2012, 01:17 PM
I love Tonga Toast :D

I'm very tempted to cook it at home, but I'm supposed to be being good :lol:

Mari
25-01-2012, 10:45 PM
its sounds so yummy!!

maybe for a Sunday??

Britchick
25-01-2012, 11:12 PM
It would be followed by an antacid chaser for me! Looks lovely though

uscwest
26-01-2012, 12:18 PM
I've been known to order it once or twice. It is delicious, but is exceedingly sweet.

Astrid
19-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I've actually made this after I saw it on the Disney website. Please note that I've never had it at Disney before so I don't have anything to compare it to really. The only problem I had was the sourdough bread, it was very crumbly. I think it may have been the kind I got. And I had to use a regular pan. But I thought that it was very yummy. But be warned, I did manage to set the fire alarm off for the first time in my life.:embarassed2:

Kate
20-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Ive never had tonga toast! i cant quite get my head around eggy bread with cinnamon and sugar! :unsure:

Wendy
20-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Ive never had tonga toast! i cant quite get my head around eggy bread with cinnamon and sugar! :unsure:

Don't forget the banana :D I felt the same, but I'd heard so much about it that I had to try and it was delicious :yes:

Mari
20-04-2012, 05:26 PM
I had Tonga Toast for the first time this trip... it was DELICIOUS!!!

I rarely like sugary food for breakfast, but this was just perfect! and the 100% Kona coffee was also just perfect!

Johnie
21-04-2012, 05:22 AM
I've had it once. It is good but very sweet. I need more protein at breakfast. I did have the macadamia pancakes last time and they were fantastic.

susanm
16-04-2013, 04:27 PM
before my very first trip i heard of tonga toast and went to Ohana for breakfast to try it went to wrong restaurant.... but found it at kona its delicious

Wendy
16-04-2013, 04:35 PM
before my very first trip i heard of tonga toast and went to Ohana for breakfast to try it went to wrong restaurant.... but found it at kona its delicious

I agree, it's a must every year for us, well for me :lol:

Mags
16-04-2013, 05:03 PM
It is lovely but it is oh so sweet. I had a bite of my son's and loved it but I don't think I could eat a quarter of it. Don't forget the sauce they serve with it is really the strawberry soup from 1900 Park Fare.

Mags

Beccaberry
17-04-2013, 01:32 AM
I wonder if I just tried it on a bad day? I tried it once and, try as I might, I just could NOT enjoy it. I can't quite sort out why...but it was just not for me....

Maybe I should give it another try - from all accounts, I should LOVE this!

Tink
17-04-2013, 01:36 AM
Same here, Becca. I like the ingredients, and seriously WHO doesn't love fried food (done right, of course) but I just simply didn't enjoy this. :sorry: I know "everyone" loves it, but it's kinda' like Dole Whips... everyone but I. :sorry:

Johnie
17-04-2013, 01:47 AM
I think it's too big and too sweet. Plus I've come to the conclusions that I do not like bananas warm.

uscwest
17-04-2013, 11:39 AM
I think it's too big and too sweet. Plus I've come to the conclusions that I do not like bananas warm. Ah, but Bananas Foster is just wonderful. :lol:

Johnie
17-04-2013, 01:22 PM
I do love bananas foster.

Tink
17-04-2013, 06:01 PM
:disgust: Now there is a dessert I REALLY dislike. Ick, ick, ick. Teeth cracking sweet. :nono:

Wendy
17-04-2013, 06:15 PM
:disgust: Now there is a dessert I REALLY dislike. Ick, ick, ick. Teeth cracking sweet. :nono:

Which is probably why I like it :lol:

Tink
17-04-2013, 11:46 PM
:lol: Ah, my beloved friend! :D But you and I have been known to knock down one of those huge chocolate desserts at Long Horn! :D :D Not too sweet for me, is that? :D :D

Wendy
18-04-2013, 09:34 AM
:lol: Ah, my beloved friend! :D But you and I have been known to knock down one of those huge chocolate desserts at Long Horn! :D :D Not too sweet for me, is that? :D :D

:lol: hhhmmm Chocolate Stampede :lol:

Tink
18-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Yes! That's the one. It's Freudian that I can't remember the name. :D :D :lol:

Wendy
18-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Yes! That's the one. It's Freudian that I can't remember the name. :D :D :lol:

It's permanently engraved in my memory :lol:

Faythstar
18-04-2013, 04:26 PM
I started seeing this on a lot of must-try lists as I was researching our most recent trip, and I HAVE to try it! It looks amazing!

Wendy
18-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I started seeing this on a lot of must-try lists as I was researching our most recent trip, and I HAVE to try it! It looks amazing!

It is, but you really do need a sweet tooth :D

susanm
18-04-2013, 11:29 PM
cant wait to make it at home....yummm breakfast this saturday