PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone in the US help me with a Muppet Wotnot purchase :)

Skywatcher
28-02-2012, 10:59 AM
It has always been the dream to own a muppet, and I have happened across the Muppet Wotnot factory at FAO Schwartz in New Yoik, now you can make up your Muppet online but for some bizzare reason they do not ship abroad - no idea why in this day an dage but there you go.

So I need either

Someone in New Yoik who is happy to go and get one for me and ship it

or someone who is happy to order online in the US and get it shipped to them then ship it to me

I will obviously pay in advance via paypal

have a play its amazing :)

http://www.fao.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=11534102

MystikPiglit
28-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Brilliant! :yes:

You could try emailing the store and ask if they will send to the UK.

Skywatcher
28-02-2012, 12:07 PM
no joy so far but will keep trying

they do look really professional from the finished ones I've see :yes: will be good to entertain the baby :D

keith
28-02-2012, 12:13 PM
thats seriously cool :lol: I know a few people are going to New York this year including my sister I think (though yah know, she's a younger sister, so would I trust her with a muppet.. hmmmm ;-)

I think she's off out there in Oct or something so if you dont get any other offers I'm sure I could ask her

catrancher
28-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Doc,

If you're in a hurry, I'll be happy to help.

Unless you want to wait and try to find someone who's actually going. Terry's coming over in July I believe.

Here's my perennial favorite:

10480.vB

But that's just me. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!)

Slowhand
28-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Doc,

Terry's coming over in July I believe.

Yep, I`ll be in New York from July 12th - 23rd so let me know if I can help out. :wiggle:

uscwest
28-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Isn't Butterhead a native New Yorker and one of NYC's finest? Perhaps he would help you out.

Johnie
28-02-2012, 03:26 PM
I'll be glad to help out if you want it sooner.

Skywatcher
28-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Wow , you guys are awesome. I shall have a think and be in touch

In the meantime this is my all time favourite sketch that had my kids crying with laughter when I showed them

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-kDtgtF9qU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-kDtgtF9qU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

foreverducky
29-02-2012, 11:14 AM
That is so much fun to play with. I designed a wotnot that looks like a retired magician in a lounge suit. Kinda like a cool Hugh Hefner. :lol:

catrancher
29-02-2012, 12:56 PM
That is so much fun to play with. I designed a wotnot that looks like a retired magician in a lounge suit. Kinda like a cool Hugh Hefner. :lol:

Take a screen capture and post it up here! Let's see what you came up with! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... wants to see!)

Wendy
29-02-2012, 01:07 PM
:lol: It sounds like fun, maybe we all should make one and then post the picture on here :lol:

catrancher
29-02-2012, 01:19 PM
:lol: It sounds like fun, maybe we all should make one and then post the picture on here :lol:

Exactly my thought Wendy! :brightidea:

Great minds and all that! So, I'll have a go at it!

10503.vB

Tom (:macwave:... seriously?)

Wendy
29-02-2012, 01:27 PM
:lol:

Here's mine :)

10504.vB

catrancher
29-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Why... tropical looking, aren't we? :tan2:

Tom (:macwave:... as the sun sinks slowly in the west...)

uscwest
29-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm not artistic and would have no idea even where to begin

Skywatcher
29-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Tom if you are serious with the offer that is extremely kind of you my friend - I shall get playing and PM you the details

I shall put up my preferred choice later on , it is amazing how many vastly different characters you can get from such a few basic bits and bobs - these were Hensons original 'extras' for audience members and bit parts in films - the muppet next to the hobo in the final scenes of teh movie is an FAO schwartz Wotnot so they blend in with the cast easily

I am so tempted to get a Dr one - a much easier way to break bad news LOL

catrancher
29-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Tom if you are serious with the offer that is extremely kind of you my friend - I shall get playing and PM you the details

Quite serious Chris. I just called and checked with FAO Schwarz. According to them, another option for you would be to buy it online yourself and have it shipped to me. I can then ship it to you. However you want to do it.

Tom (:macwave:... Rizzo is still my hero. As the cruise director in Muppets Treasure Island! :sail:)

foreverducky
29-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Here's the guy made....see a retired magician.

10518.vB

Skywatcher
01-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Cuuute. Although if he was retired I'd go for the white beard ;)

foreverducky
01-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Cuuute. Although if he was retired I'd go for the white beard ;)

But wouldn't a magician always be dark and mysterious...either that or have a really good hair colorist.

Think of David Copperfield. :lol:

catrancher
01-03-2012, 12:17 PM
But wouldn't a magician always be dark and mysterious...either that or have a really good hair colorist.

Think of David Copperfield. :lol:

But if he's retired...

I think I would have gone for the white beard too. But probably with the Hawaiian shirt.
After all, he's retired. Right? :tan2:

Did you know they come with a "Muppets metal rod". Wonder where that goes? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... Hello! Hello! Thank you for coming to my pahk!)

catrancher
01-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Stop press...

Ok, so Skywatcher started this thread. :brightidea:

As we know, he's a doctor.

So... I present to you, the official Doc Skywatcher muppet creature like whatizit thing...

10530.vB

Tom (:macwave:... thank you... thank you... hold your applause. I'll be in the area all day.)

Watchinherskip
01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Tom...YOU are the man. That is so cool. Darn thing is I had to see what the fuss was about and somehow lost about an hour's time at work yesterday...so much for my productivity. That was a cool site.

catrancher
01-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Tom...YOU are the man. That is so cool. Darn thing is I had to see what the fuss was about and somehow lost about an hour's time at work yesterday...so much for my productivity. That was a cool site.

Thanks Dan!

So... uh.... where's your example? :unsure:

Enquiring minds want to know. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... go ahead... have a play!)

Wendy
01-03-2012, 03:01 PM
:yeahthat:

Skywatcher
01-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Sooo glad I started this thread and spread some madness lol. I shall post a YouTube of the guy when he arrives.

Thought about the dr outfit but went for something else. Could honestly have bought a dozen on there Sooo much fun

The metal rod goes on the hand so you can control the arm just think kermit :yes:

catrancher
01-03-2012, 07:19 PM
The metal rod goes on the hand so you can control the arm just think kermit :yes:

A likely story. And probably the best of all possible uses. I shudder to think beyond that. :exit:

Tom (:macwave:... never mind. I'll just pop off and ban myself now. :banned:)

uscwest
01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
How do you save your image so that you can put it here?

catrancher
01-03-2012, 08:17 PM
John,

Since I think you're on a PC, it depends on whether you've got Windows 7 or are still on XP.

For XP:
Hit ALT+Print Screen on your keyboard. This takes a picture of the current active window and puts it on the clipboard so that you can paste it into a document, email message, whatever on your pc and save it. There's also third party utilities you can get that offer more control than this.

For Windows 7:
You can use the "Snipping Tool" off the start menu. With that, you've got various options on how you want to capture an area of the screen. You can save a whole window or clip just a region of the screen. When you start it you'll get a little window that has some pretty self-explanatory options on it. Instead of putting your image directly on the clipboard though, this one captures it in it's own little application window where you can save it or do anything else you might want to with it.

Tom (:macwave:... hope this helps.)

Skywatcher
01-03-2012, 09:39 PM
been looking at videos of them , they look far far better in the 'fluff' compared with the 2d image you get on the site

Proper proper muppet

:mental:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nb6Bf2ECRME?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nb6Bf2ECRME?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Oh and thanks for all the kind offers , only chose Tom as he was the first :D

I shall use you other kind offers wheI decide I want a whole muppet audience

catrancher
02-03-2012, 01:16 PM
For anybody who is following this saga and just can't wait for the next installment. Here it is:

Skywatcher's Muppet Wotnot
has shipped to me!

As soon as I get it, I'll ship it off to him. :yes:

I won't tell you what he said to me about this in our email conversation. :shocked:

Now, for your continued enjoyment while we wait for the next installment, we proudly present a past episode of the timeless classic, "Pigs in Space"! :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjbkRktqIE

Tom (:macwave:... BTW... it was 42... )

Kate
02-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Thw wotnot's on its way!!! :mental:

Skywatcher
02-03-2012, 06:45 PM

Watchinherskip
02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
10537.vB
Thanks Dan!

So... uh.... where's your example? :unsure:

Enquiring minds want to know. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... go ahead... have a play!)

Well you asked for it!! Sheesh do I look that bad? :surrender:

catrancher
02-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Sheesh do I look that bad? :surrender:

Naw Dan. You don't have the big purple nose. :ROFL:

Tom(:macwave:... what fun!)

Watchinherskip
02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Well yeah, not anymore....

You are a peach Tom, a real peach

Watchinherskip
02-03-2012, 07:53 PM
You know to make it real, we need to put up a real picture of us next to it....feeling brave Tom???:taunt:

catrancher
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
You are a peach Tom, a real peach

That's not what my DW says. :mental:

She's got a different word for it.

Tom (:macwave:... what was it... oh yeah... demented. That's the ticket!)

catrancher
02-03-2012, 07:57 PM
...feeling brave Tom???:taunt:

To quote Miss Piggy...

Moi?

Tom (:macwave:... I wouldn't want to break everyone's monitor.)

uscwest
02-03-2012, 08:42 PM
John,

Since I think you're on a PC, it depends on whether you've got Windows 7 or are still on XP.

For XP:
Hit ALT+Print Screen on your keyboard. This takes a picture of the current active window and puts it on the clipboard so that you can paste it into a document, email message, whatever on your pc and save it. There's also third party utilities you can get that offer more control than this.

For Windows 7:
You can use the "Snipping Tool" off the start menu. With that, you've got various options on how you want to capture an area of the screen. You can save a whole window or clip just a region of the screen. When you start it you'll get a little window that has some pretty self-explanatory options on it. Instead of putting your image directly on the clipboard though, this one captures it in it's own little application window where you can save it or do anything else you might want to with it.

Tom (:macwave:... hope this helps.)

Tom, my work PC is still XP but will be upgraded to Windows 7 when I get back to home base. It wouldn't let me do the print screen. My home computer is Vista, does it work the same way?

catrancher
02-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Tom, my work PC is still XP but will be upgraded to Windows 7 when I get back to home base. It wouldn't let me do the print screen. My home computer is Vista, does it work the same way?

I don't know about Vista John. Here's what Microsoft has to say (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Take-a-screen-capture-print-screen) about it though.

Tom (:macwave:... hope this helps!)

catrancher
06-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Hmmm....

Look what showed up on my doorstep today! :mental:

10624.vB

Tom(:macwave:... wonder who'll be excited about this?)

Kate
06-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Great picture! :lol:

Wendy
06-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I love the photo Tom, the wotnot is waving to his new dad :lol:

foreverducky
06-03-2012, 09:45 PM
And here I thought he was trying to escape. Or get air...can't be much in the box.

Wendy
06-03-2012, 10:02 PM
And here I thought he was trying to escape. Or get air...can't be much in the box.

Skywatcher
06-03-2012, 10:37 PM

Johnie
07-03-2012, 02:52 AM
:thumbsup:

I was playing around with it earlier but I can't decide what color I should be. I was going with blue but not so sure

daveann
07-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Brill pic made me laugh :)

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 08:07 AM
when he comes I shall put more up I promise :D

catrancher
07-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Skywatcher hisself was desirous was of an additional photo of the little guy sans box. I tried to email it to him but that didn't work for some odd reason. So, told him I'd post the piccie up here.

Here he is in his native environment (spelled bag):

10638.vB

As soon as I can get him back in the box and get by the Post Office he'll be on his way to his new home. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... charming fellow isn't he?)

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
:mental: thanks Tom :D looks way cuter than the 2D image n the whatnot site - if I'm honest I could have bought a whole collection of themand spentthe rest of my life making Muppet shows :lol:

I appreciate there is little hope for me :D

Cannot tell you how much I value your help with this

A little surprised noone else has bought one yet though ;)

catrancher
07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
A little surprised noone else has bought one yet though ;)

Patience Grasshopper. :yes:

Once my DW got a look at him, her exact words to me were:

I suppose now you'll be wanting one.

My response?

Yes dear!

Of course.
I ain't stupid. :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... knows on which side his bread is buttered!)

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

ooo ooo ooo ooo we can facetime them :laugh:

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I know I have said this to you in our emails but the fact is the Muppets were a massive part of my childhood. It was one of the only shows we all sat and watched together as a family.

The humour is regarded by many on this side of the pond as being very 'British' and although they are undoubtedly an American product the fact the show was saved by the BBC's Lew Grade and the Creature workshop was ( I believe ) in the UK means that is you ask people in the street a lot of people genuinely belive they are 'ours' - of course it helps that Frank Oz is British ;)

I watched Muppet videos with Lisa before we had kids - introduced the boys to them through WDW and the parks and recently through the films and DVD's

It is a thing of wonder in the modern world to share an innocent belly laugh with your entire family but we do that each and every time we see a film or watch a youtube clip

Last night the boys were crying laughing so hard at Grovers 'Near and Far' from sesame street - something I laughed at when I was sat on my Mums lap in the 70's

They are timeless genius with a genuine and unique magic

and I am excited to share that with the new addition when he arrives later in the year as well :D

Johnie
07-03-2012, 05:21 PM
The Muppets were a big part of my childhood as was Sesame Street. They never resort to mean name calling and are just fun.

catrancher
07-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Oh Watcher of Skies... checketh thy email.

His Wozzitness is on his way! :happydance:

Perhaps you should name him.

I know, we could have a contest. A name the Wozzit contest.

I'll start. Let's call him Waldo. As in "Where's Waldo?"

Tom (:macwave:... Waldo's on his way... :airplane:)

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Ooo a naming competition very nice idea

Many many many thanks my friend

foreverducky
07-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I loved the Muppets growing up. I even watched the muppet babies cartoon. I recently bought a green shirt from Target with Kermit on it.

One of my favorite books when I was little was Grover's "There's a Monster at the End of This Book."

Johnie
08-03-2012, 12:45 AM
I LOVE that book!~

Wendy
08-03-2012, 10:37 AM
I have a confession.....................I didn't like the muppets when I was younger :hide:

Skywatcher
08-03-2012, 11:20 AM
:jawdrop:

Not even the fraggles?

Wendy
08-03-2012, 12:15 PM

Not even the fraggles?

No :sorry: I didn't like Miss Piggy - my brother used to watch it and the old men were funny sometimes, but I would always find something else to do.

I've seen the muppets at DHS once and that was because we were with friends and their children wanted to see it...................I'm strange I know :anxious:

Watchinherskip
08-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Not even the fraggles?
Hey Chris,
When my DD Alex was born some 21 years ago, I used to call her Red Fraggle for her then carrot red hair. Wow, haven't thought about the Fraggles in some time, oh but I got my DW Sally some sort of shawl from Coldwater Creek for Christmas and I have named it her Mookie cloak in homage to our dear old Fraggle Mookie.

Skywatcher
08-03-2012, 02:53 PM
The doozers and their edible constructions were great as was the lovely sprocket as well, the big troll like things were a bit weird though I agree

Dance your cares away..clap clap... Worries for another day....

catrancher
08-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Well, the Whatnot is moving right along and making progress toward his new home.

First however, he had to stop for a bit of good old Florida sunshine on his way.

10669.vB

He better not tarry too long. He's supposed to be in Skywatcher's hands on Monday! :eek:

Tom (:macwave:... wish I were in Miami!)

Skywatcher
08-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Don't worry about tarrying Tom :lol: once he gets this side of the pond they will strap him to a snail

catrancher
08-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Don't worry about tarrying Tom :lol: once he gets this side of the pond they will strap him to a snail

So you're not actually expecting him until about Christmas then? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... :laugh:)

Skywatcher
10-03-2012, 07:31 AM
The whatnot is in the country and has cleared customs.

Thankfully, being a glove puppet, the 'intimate examination' wasn't too traumatic for him.

Wendy
10-03-2012, 10:01 AM
The whatnot is in the country and has cleared customs.

Thankfully, being a glove puppet, the 'intimate examination' wasn't too traumatic for him.

:lol: :lol:

foreverducky
10-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Could have taken awhile...there are many cavities to be searched.

catrancher
10-03-2012, 01:13 PM
the 'intimate examination' wasn't too traumatic for him.

10686.vB

Smile! :D

And say cheeseburger!

Tom (:macwave:... roll over Beethoven!)

Britchick
10-03-2012, 10:19 PM
just caught up with this thread and i'm now howling! i want one.... but i've spent all my money on apple things LOL

catrancher
12-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Is him there? :unsure:

Or is him still strapped to him snail? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... slow boat to China and all that?)

Skywatcher
12-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Well we left a message on the door today to stick him in the garage if he arrived.

If he needs a signature we will have to pick him up later in the week as we are both working at the moment

Tracking suggests he is still in customs and I supect they are awaiting money from me before they release him to being posted on, the letter requesting such will of course be posted snail class

welcome to our wonderful country Charlie ( name in progress)

catrancher
12-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Well we left a message on the door today to stick him in the garage if he arrived.

If he needs a signature we will have to pick him up later in the week as we are both working at the moment

Tracking suggests he is still in customs and I supect they are awaiting money from me before they release him to being posted on, the letter requesting such will of course be posted snail class

welcome to our wonderful country Charlie ( name in progress)

:sigh:

Tom (:macwave:... :sigh: again.)

Skywatcher
12-03-2012, 02:22 PM
please don't sigh bud , I am very grateful - it'll come :yes:

catrancher
12-03-2012, 05:03 PM
please don't sigh bud , I am very grateful - it'll come :yes:

Oh, I know.

I'm just anxious for you to actually get him! :wiggle:

Tom (:macwave:... kind of like giving a kid a present at Christmas!)

Skywatcher
12-03-2012, 05:29 PM
:lol: very true but I need my iPad 3 to take the videos of him and that isn't coming until Friday ( from a fictional courier ;) )

Beccaberry
13-03-2012, 12:20 AM
OMG!!! I just saw this :) VERY VERY COOL. Sorry I didn't see it in time to offer to help...I'll be in the city this weekend.

Johnie
13-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Will we get to see a picture of you with your new friend?

I may need to go to NYC and make one of these in person. Ya know cause I need more stuff lol

---

Mari
13-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Wow!

What a brilliant idea!!!

Love it!!!

Btw, here is mine, and now I want him.... Hahahahaha.... Why did I open this thread!? Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skywatcher
13-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Of course I will post a picture - have aplan for a whole load including video ;) :D

Jusr spoken to parcelforce and its being 'held' by customs for anything up to 2 weeks whilst they decide how much or if any VAT to charge me :rolleyes:

Mari
13-03-2012, 04:14 PM
oh no!! :(

I hope he gets to go home quickly

catrancher
13-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Jusr spoken to parcelforce and its being 'held' by customs for anything up to 2 weeks whilst they decide how much or if any VAT to charge me :rolleyes:

Amazing efficiency. :banghead:

Tom (:macwave:... please... take a number for faster service. Yeah. Right.)

Beccaberry
13-03-2012, 05:25 PM
BOOOOOO!

Wendy
13-03-2012, 06:09 PM
You should have put it in a different box and sent it as a gift, you probably wouldn't have to pay customs then :whistle:

Kate
13-03-2012, 06:45 PM
i felt sure i would log on tonight and he would be with you! poor little mite, sat there in customs waiting for his ransom to be decided and paid :sigh:

catrancher
13-03-2012, 07:56 PM
You should have put it in a different box and sent it as a gift, you probably wouldn't have to pay customs then :whistle:

I did mark it as a gift on the customs forms Wendy. :yes:

But being government forms, I probably filled them out wrong. After all, who can understand government forms. :unsure:

Tom(:macwave:... I'm from the government. I'm here to help!)

Wendy
13-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I did mark it as a gift on the customs forms Wendy. :yes:

But being government forms, I probably filled them out wrong. After all, who can understand government forms. :unsure:

Tom(:macwave:... I'm from the government. I'm here to help!)

If you marked it as a gift Tom, hopefully there won't be any custom charges.

Maybe they've opened the box and someone's taken a shine to him :unsure:

Slowhand
14-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Things sure must have changed since I had something shipped over from the US a few years ago.
At the time we splashed out on an expensive [very !] item from Wyland Galleries, and when it was sent the only thing we had was a call from the couriers telling us that it had arrived and asking us to collect it from their depot and pay them a paltry amount for customs duty.

Skywatcher
14-03-2012, 05:02 PM
According to parcelforce there is a 'massive' queue in customs at the moment

they will also charge you at leas 40 import + other duties for any 'gift' over 40 value and that includes the cost of shipping

Wendy
14-03-2012, 05:15 PM
According to parcelforce there is a 'massive' queue in customs at the moment

they will also charge you at leas 40 import + other duties for any 'gift' over 40 value and that includes the cost of shipping

I've obviously been very very lucky then :lol: :lol:

Skywatcher
14-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Yet the lion king cot blanket took 2 days to arrive from Israel :rolleyes:

the customs charges are going to cost more than the actual puppet at this point :rolleyes:

Wendy
14-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Yet the lion king cot blanket took 2 days to arrive from Israel :rolleyes:

the customs charges are going to cost more than the actual puppet at this point :rolleyes:

Just don't tell Lisa :lol:

Skywatcher
14-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Lisa knows all

Britchick
14-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Lisa knows all

Lisa, is that you?

Skywatcher
14-03-2012, 06:53 PM
No , I just know my place :)

Britchick
14-03-2012, 09:16 PM

you and Jon then LOL

Mari
14-03-2012, 09:51 PM

good for you :thumbsup:

that usually makes life much easier for all the involved ;)

Skywatcher
15-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Movement !! - he is now out of customs with 'charges' and is now being processed through the system - I'm trying to get ahead of the game and pay the charges before they post the letter to me - but at least we are making progress

Speaking to someone I know apparently this happens if you use USPS/Parcelforce and the average wait time at customs is a week as the UKBA cannot cope with the amount of parcels delivered every day.

It almost never happens with UPS or other carriers so - if you are considering total carriage costs always add the extra time and cost on in your head as well

You live an learn

anyway - not too long now I hope :)

catrancher
15-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Speaking to someone I know apparently this happens if you use USPS/Parcelforce and the average wait time at customs is a week as the UKBA cannot cope with the amount of parcels delivered every day.

Odd. I've never had that happen before when I've sent things to Slowhand at Christmas time. At least not to that degree. When I sent their package last Christmas, I believe it was one week door to door and that was also through the USPS. I'd think the backup during Christmas would be monumental. :eek:

As far as VAT is concerned, we'd have to ask Terry about that one. I always declare their stuff as gifts also and he's close mouthed about what bite the tax man takes. :shrug:

Now, from this colonials perspective, VAT, while useful to help fill the government coffers is something that I, when sending gifts, find particularly offensive. If I'm sending a gift to someone, I really don't want them to have to pay a tax on it. That seems to defeat the purpose of a gift. I know, I know, "if that were the case, everyone would be sending it as gifts". However, it seems to me that if the object in question is addressed from one individual to another and declared as a gift, they might just be able to see their way clear to let it slide.

Tom (:macwave:... overtaxed...)

Skywatcher
15-03-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree entirely Tom and they use these times of 'Austerity' to bleed every penny from us

They now tax everything over 40 value and as I said they add on the copst of shipping - i.e darn near everything will now get ht with a tax and when that occurs you also incur nearly 20 worth of 'handling fees' - so the price we pay to free it from the grips of customs could easily equal the cost of the gift in the first place, if not more

catrancher
15-03-2012, 12:22 PM
I agree entirely Tom and they use these times of 'Austerity' to bleed every penny from us

They now tax everything over 40 value and as I said they add on the copst of shipping - i.e darn near everything will now get ht with a tax and when that occurs you also incur nearly 20 worth of 'handling fees' - so the price we pay to free it from the grips of customs could easily equal the cost of the gift in the first place, if not more

Insane! :mental:

No wonder this kind of thing caused such a ruckus back in 1773!

Tom (:macwave:... have a cuppa...)

Skywatcher
15-03-2012, 04:34 PM
badgered parcelforce into giving me the customs code, rang up and paid using the touch tone keypad came to 26

Said delivery date may be tomorrow

I will not hold my breath, I await a letter and a series of phone calls where I try and explain that I have paid the customs charge using the automated system :lol:

Despite the fact we have house guests the next week I will still try to post picks as and when he finally arrives :)

catrancher
15-03-2012, 04:54 PM
came to 26

Almost $41.00 US? Insane! :thud:

Tom (:macwave:... and I thought our taxes were bad...)

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Ok get this

Because I paid for the customs charges early by ringing up and getting the clearing code it has confused the system and wasn't booked in properly to the local depot. As a result it didn't get booked in today or out for delivery, so as a result it will be out next week 'hopefully Monday '

This country oi

Still it inches ever closer

catrancher
16-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Still it inches ever closer

:tapnails:

Tom (:macwave:... teach you to mess with the bureaucracy!)

MystikPiglit
16-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I will not hold my breath, I await a letter and a series of phone calls where I try and explain that I have paid the customs charge using the automated system :lol:

:lol: I wish you luck if that happens.

Skywatcher
19-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Out For Delivery :fingers:

IF it gets here today I won't have time to do cute pictures tonight I'm afraid as I won't be getting home until 10 - 11 pm then I have to try and eat

But I will tomorrow :D ( :fingers: )

catrancher
19-03-2012, 10:35 AM
:fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers:

Tom (:macwave:... It's a long way to Tipperary, It's a long way to go.)

Skywatcher
19-03-2012, 02:09 PM
He has been 'delivered' - although to where we have to wait and see :lol:

catrancher
19-03-2012, 02:15 PM
He has been 'delivered' - although to where we have to wait and see :lol:

My... won't somebody be surprised! :shocked:

Tom (:macwave:... I'm surprised!)

Skywatcher
19-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Lisa has him at home - went to a neighbours house - a million thanks Tom - I will let you know what I think later and will put up some pics hopefully tomorrow night

Johnie
19-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Woohoo!!!

catrancher
19-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Lisa has him at home - went to a neighbours house - a million thanks Tom - I will let you know what I think later and will put up some pics hopefully tomorrow night

:cheshire: :mickeybounce: :goofy: :dalebounce: :donaldbounce: :madhatter_bounce: :cheshire:

Tom (:macwave:... and the crowd goes crazy!)

Skywatcher
20-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Boys were so excited they stayed up until I got home just to watch hime being unboxed :lol:

I am amazed at how good the quality is if I'm honest, it really is a 100% proper Muppet

Quite a tight fit inside the head but I have small child like hands so thats no problem - if you have great flapping hands they won't fit I fear.

Will take a while to get to 'work' him properly , and sadly I have laryngitis at the moment so I won't be able to do the video tonight :sorry:

But I will put up some photos :yes:

At the moment he's called Charlie Whatnot but we are open to suggestions :)

foreverducky
20-03-2012, 09:56 AM
if you have great flapping hands they won't fit I fear.

Flapping hands....:lolchair:

I'm not really sure what those are exactly or what they look like, but that's the best thing I've heard all morning. :laughhard:

catrancher
20-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Delighted he's finally finished his journey! :yes:

Did his boxing survive relatively unscathed? :unsure:

I am amazed at how good the quality is if I'm honest, it really is a 100% proper Muppet

I was rather amazed at the quality also. While I didn't take him completely out of his bag, the messing about I did do with him (like sticking his arm up out of the box) really indicated that he was quite good. Not at all what I was expecting.

great flapping hands

Hmmm... good thing I didn't try him on then. He might still be stuck on my hand. Although I don't know that I'd describe myself as having "great flapping hands". But still... :unsure:

sadly I have laryngitis at the moment

A likely story. :unimpressed:

At the moment he's called Charlie Whatnot but we are open to suggestions :)

Given his journey to get to you I'm still lobbying for Waldo. But he's your Whatsit (or whatever). Name him as you'd like. I'm sure given time, he'll answer to most anything.

Also, keep in mind, that it's most apropos that you've received him now seeing as how the Muppets are receiving their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (http://www.walkoffame.com/pages/upcoming-ceremonies) today!

Tom (:macwave:... enjoy your new home Charlie or Waldo or... whatever...)

Skywatcher
20-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Over here the books are called 'wheres wally' so Wally Whatnot might be a go'er :lol:

Sadly I genuinely do have a throat problem at the moment and I am seriously hacked off with it as it has been 5 days now - I know the varment who gave it to me as well ( noone coveres their mouth anymore when they cough have you noticed)

anyway photos tonight - I have ideas ;)

If you find a life could you post that to me as well please :D

ooo and the box was fine - one hole but no damage :yes:

again a million thank yous

catrancher
20-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Over here the books are called 'wheres wally' so Wally Whatnot might be a go'er :lol:

Ohh... quick. Start a poll here on Secrets. Take a whole bunch of name suggestions and let everybody vote. Charlie, Wally, Marvin, Freddled Gruntbuggly, Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz , whatever.

anyway photos tonight - I have ideas ;)

I wait with baited breath! (fish not included) :fishbowl:

If you find a life could you post that to me as well please :D

Afraid there's not much hope of that one. I certainly don't have a life and if I did, I probably wouldn't share. Too hard to come by.

ooo and the box was fine - one hole but no damage :yes:

Excellent! :thumbsup:

Judging by how I've seen some of the parcels come and go through our illustrious mail systems, I was concerned. Some of them have looked like they'd been used as a target for large caliber weapons. Others just looked like they've been run over by a truck. Glad to hear that this one survived relatively unscathed! :yes:

again a million thank yous

No worries! I was delighted to do it!

Tom (:macwave:... wildly anticipating Skywatcher's WhatNot, Episode 1)

Kate
20-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Sadly I genuinely do have a throat problem at the moment and I am seriously hacked off with it as it has been 5 days now - I know the varment who gave it to me as well ( noone coveres their mouth anymore when they cough have you noticed)

I had a sore throat for a month, thought it would just "go" and didnt want to visit the dr's to be told it was a virus, couldnt stand it anymore though and went the other day, he said i had a bad throat and ear infection and couldnt believe id waited so long to visit. The annoying thing was that afternoon i felt soooo much better, i was so cross with myself that i waited a whole month! I suppose im trying to say dont put off getting it checked!!

catrancher
20-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I suppose im trying to say dont put off getting it checked!!

Physician, heal thyself! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... sorry. Couldn't resist!)

Kate
20-03-2012, 03:45 PM
:rolleyes:

MystikPiglit
20-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Sadly I genuinely do have a throat problem at the moment and I am seriously hacked off with it as it has been 5 days now -

Mix ginger, honey(preferably Manuka) and lemon in warm water and sip slowly. It will ease it. :hug2:

Physician, heal thyself! (:macwave:... sorry. Couldn't resist!)

I was thinking that but didn't dare say it.... :wink: :lol:

Kate
20-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Ok, Okaaaaaaay, i will think more before i post next time!!!

catrancher
20-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Ok, Okaaaaaaay, i will think more before i post next time!!!

Ohhhh.... no! I'm sorry. Please don't be offended! :beg:

I didn't mean to give offense. It's just my incredibly warped sense of humor gets the better of me sometimes. Well... most of the time actually.

Tom (:macwave:... I'll go stand in the corner now...)

Kate
20-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Ohhhh.... no! I'm sorry. Please don't be offended! :beg:

I didn't mean to give offense. It's just my incredibly warped sense of humor gets the better of me sometimes. Well... most of the time actually.

Tom (:macwave:... I'll go stand in the corner now...)

Oh dont worry - im not offended! :hug2: Takes alot more than that to offend me i promise!!

Skywatcher
20-03-2012, 04:54 PM

You are quite right Kate there is a lot of it around at the moment and I am seeing people all the time with really nasty throats , I know the person who gave it to me last week as they almost made a point of coughing in my face whilst I was examining them. I don't care so much but I really really don't want to give it to my pregnant wife.

I am dosing myself up with all sorts of stuff, not really sure that antibiotics will work at the moment as its very viral but I'm sucking on a local anasthetic and drinking a swimming pool of iced water a day :D

It is true that as a species we docs don't look after ourselves and its very sweet ofyou all to care :D

... So, who is going to buy the next one then

(:macwave: Tom :D I'm looking at you )

catrancher
20-03-2012, 05:11 PM
I am dosing myself up with all sorts of stuff, not really sure that antibiotics will work at the moment as its very viral but I'm sucking on a local anasthetic and drinking a swimming pool of iced water a day :D

Beer. You need beer. Lots of it. (or muscle relaxant if you prefer). It is after all, a fluid! :yes:

So sayeth Ford, so sayeth we all.

Tom :D I'm looking at you

I'm thinking on it. I just haven't yet been able to generate one that just screams at me to buy him. :shrug:

So far, most of my efforts have looked a bit like an accident precipitated by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker in the Muppet Labs.

Tom (:macwave:... still trying...)

Skywatcher
20-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Beer is good Tom :)

So far, most of my efforts have looked a bit like an accident precipitated by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker in the Muppet Labs.

Tom (:macwave:... still trying...)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZvfksWAWcRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

catrancher
21-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Here's a glimpse of what Muppet What Not's are kind of good for. This one's from Sesame Street.

Hope you like the US crime drama, "The Closer" starring Kyra Sedgwick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIX0LsYuUHA&hd=1

Tom (:macwave:... Thank yew! Thank yew so much!)