PDA

View Full Version : iPad 3 rumoured to be announced on the 7th March

Wendy
01-03-2012, 08:44 AM
It seems to be all over the internet that Apple is expected to announce the release of the ipad 3 at a special event in San Francisco on the 7th March.

Will anyone be trading their old one in :unsure:

keith
01-03-2012, 08:48 AM
It seems to be all over the internet that Apple is expected to announce the release of the ipad 3 at a special event in San Francisco on the 7th March.

Will anyone be trading their old one in :unsure:

Ach :/ At the moment the expectation is a better screen, possibly siri built in, a better camera, perhaps faster.

None of that is absolutely must have for me coming from the ipad 2, although a large upgrade from the 1.

Thing is it'll no doubt be tempting.....

Wendy
01-03-2012, 09:23 AM
I thought you'd be the 1st to reply :lol:

I still don't think I'd use one though :unsure: I would still take my laptop on holiday as I wouldn't have all the programs I need and it's easier to type :shrug:

I think Chris might be tempted though :unsure:

catrancher
01-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Much as I'd like to upgrade, I think that for the time being, I'll stick with my old, reliable iPad 1. Truth be told, the display on mine is adequate, I don't need a camera on my iPad when I've got the one on my phone, and the speed is acceptable if no longer snappy.

Besides which, I'm getting too cheap to keep doing these upgrades all the time.

Tom (:macwave:... maybe a bit later...)

uscwest
01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Wonder if they will give me one for free since they are releasing it on my Birthday. :)

josh.p.
01-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I don't want one, I don't need one, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'll probably end up buying one.

Skywatcher
01-03-2012, 07:29 PM
I desire one even though I know little about it at the moment. There are already apps and games that only work on a 2 and it won't be long before the 1 is outmoded I fear.

Pretty sure I will get a 3 but not sure if it will be at launch( ok probably lol)

Deafjeff
04-03-2012, 12:32 PM
I will keep an eye on the specs and decide if worthy to be upgraded.

Will let you all know though!

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Todays the day then - any ideas what willbe announced

faster processor, better screen, better camera, siri - anything else?

keith
07-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Todays the day then - any ideas what willbe announced

faster processor, better screen, better camera, siri - anything else?

I can't see anything more than that but we could be surprised!

I guess they're always trying for slimmer and more battery life

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 08:59 AM
I didn't actually think the iPad2 was as 'pretty' as the 1 but then I'm weird

Find these presentations a little sad now as they just aren't the same without Mr Jobs

keith
07-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I didn't actually think the iPad2 was as 'pretty' as the 1 but then I'm weird

Find these presentations a little sad now as they just aren't the same without Mr Jobs

yeah agree on both points, especially the second :(

we'll have to see. The screen technology IS really important on a tablet so it could make quite a difference.

Really not sure how much thinner/lighter they could make it at the moment.... speed was ok on the ipad2 anyway but ok!

hmmmm!

Wendy
07-03-2012, 09:53 AM
You will have to wait until 6pm to find out :lol:

Chris was saying last night that it might be called the iPad HD as the resolution is expected to be 20481536 and it will possibly have 4G. The 4G will be no use in the UK though.

I think I might have problems stopping Chris from getting one :sigh: I don't think he will swap his S2 though only if it was for the S3 :lol:

Keith, you have created a monster :lol: :lol:

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Keith has created several monsters:lol:

as a direct result we now own

iMac 27 inch
Macbook Pro
iPod classic
2x Ipod 4's
2x Iphone 4
2x iPads

and we all still yearn for more - not one PC in the family now :lol: and Lisas Dad in Cornwall has just bouight an iMac and all my partners at work ( all 10 of them as of Thursday) have now gone totally Mac as well

the sickness spreads :lol:

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Sorry to post twice,

REally will look closly at getting one - I do play a lot of apps and the 1 is wonderful but its just beginning to feel a tad sluggish at times, getting quite a few drop outs as app technology improves

Still don't think I'll go anywhere near 3G though, never really been in a place and thought ' wow I really wish I had 3G and WiFi hotspots are increasing at an astonioshing rate anyway

Glad I got the 64 last time though would have filled a 16 several times over

really not sure I would use a camera

catrancher
07-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Keith has created several monsters:lol:

I helped! Don't want Keith to get all the credit/blame. :laugh:

If you're really interested in what's announced, just got the following announcement from Macworld.

Follow Macworld's coverage of Apple's March 7th Media Event (http://newsletters.macworld.com/t/3441299/82339590/294031/0/)

Jason Snell and Dan Moren will be in the audience Wednesday morning at 10 a.m. PT as Apple unveils its latest creation. Follow our live blog for all the latest Apple announcements.

Follow Wednesday's live event here (http://newsletters.macworld.com/t/3441299/82339590/294031/0/)

Until then, Lex Friedman and Dan Moren offer their forecast for what Apple could unveil (http://newsletters.macworld.com/t/3441299/82339590/294032/0/) on Wednesday.

I'm really worried that I'm soooo going to want to upgrade.

Tom (:macwave:... no... no... don't make me do it!)

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 02:10 PM
I have to get one for my muppet - he's part of the family now after all :D

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
I helped! Don't want Keith to get all the credit/blame. :laugh:

actually I think you may have been MORE to blame :lol:

Wendy
07-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I have to get one for my muppet - he's part of the family now after all :D

:lol: :lol: any excuse eh!

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 02:46 PM
:lol: yes any excuse indeed

Oh and I forgot my lovley apple TV as well :D

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Want one :mental:

Britchick
07-03-2012, 08:31 PM
my iPad 1 is going fine still and adequate but we now need a second...Jon has been converted too! i remember him saying its just a big iPod touch when i got this 2 years ago...now he's refreshing the page on the apple store!

don't know whether to get a new one or a discounted 2...mmmm

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Julie if you are still into your photography there really is only one choice,:thumbsup: have you seen the video on the apple site ?

catrancher
07-03-2012, 08:36 PM
don't know whether to get a new one or a discounted 2...mmmm

Small voice whisper's in ear "Retina display". :whisper:

Small voice quietly retreats into background noise.

Tom (:macwave:... being very, very small...)

keith
07-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Id order one if I could get onto the store to buy it :/

Britchick
07-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Julie if you are still into your photography there really is only one choice,:thumbsup: have you seen the video on the apple site ?

I can't get on :thumbsdown:

Wendy
07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Id order one if I could get onto the store to buy it :/

I thought you weren't going to get the new one :lol:

keith
07-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I thought you weren't going to get the new one :lol:

are you kidding? it's new and it's apple? I probably said I didnt NEED one <G>

keith
07-03-2012, 09:20 PM
ps. what does chris think of the canon 5d mkIII?

Deafjeff
07-03-2012, 09:22 PM
My dad and I want one too but can't get onto apple store yet grrrrrr

Ipad (3) looks really cool!!!!! :worship:

Wendy
07-03-2012, 09:31 PM

I don't know and I'm not telling him :lol: :lol:

Britchick
07-03-2012, 09:34 PM

ugh i saw that lol

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Er... So is it full Siri on this? They say voice dictation but has it got full functionality?

Still love the 7d with all my heart. ;) 5d 3 looks very interesting but nothing that makes me want to rush to it from the 7d if I'm honest iso 25,600 is frankly insane though !!!!!

I can get on the apple site easily read all the bits and watch the vid but the store is updating

So which one is everyone going for?

I'm giving Lisa the eyes but she is despairing after the muppet indulgence

However it would be good for baby videos ;)

Deafjeff
07-03-2012, 10:06 PM
I am going for white 64GB wifi and Dad is getting the Black 16GB wifi....

Wonder how long before the store will be open....:sorry:

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 10:10 PM
A 64 gb white , would be my choice ..... If I was getting one....

keith
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I was thinking 32GB black ... I've always found that to be enough but hmm white

Skywatcher
07-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I only have 2 gb free on mine at the moment , not sure how I filled that up.

Selling the baby videos hard to Lisa. She remains unimpressed.

keith
08-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Well ordered eventually... whats the betting that it'll have failed by the morning :lol: went for white wifi 32 in the end

Deafjeff
08-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Ordered white 64gb for myself and black 16gb for my Dad

:mental:

Skywatcher
08-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Well Thomas is going mental playin the keynote over and over this morning as I left for work - he has strict instructions to sell it hard to Lisa

White 64 is my choice as well Jeff :yes:

what about the snappy clicky covers - arethey worth it - they do look kinda neat and nicer than my old black cover

...and Keith sorry to hijack the Canon question - I got my Chris' mixed up :D

keith
08-03-2012, 08:14 AM
what about the snappy clicky covers - arethey worth it - they do look kinda neat and nicer than my old black cover

They work pretty well IMHO! of course they dont protect the back but I still put a film on the back and front anyway

...and Keith sorry to hijack the Canon question - I got my Chris' mixed up :D

:lol: that's fine it was to any and all :yes:

Deafjeff
08-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Good luck Chris! Smart cover is fab if you want to 'stand' the pad for FaceTime.

Skywatcher
08-03-2012, 08:41 AM
I *may* just have been given the go-ahead - I will have to check though I have been sooooo wrong about this sort of stuff before :lol:

Does anyone else kep getting safari drop outs on websites with their older iPads?

last night I was constantly kicked out of the techradar one

a side note on the canon 5dmkiii - thought it was weird to see a camera without a pop up flash I appreciate at that end you would have all the gear but in a pinch if you just needed that extra bit of light and you didn't have your bag with you well it just might come in handy but what do I know :D

keith
08-03-2012, 09:28 AM
a side note on the canon 5dmkiii - thought it was weird to see a camera without a pop up flash I appreciate at that end you would have all the gear but in a pinch if you just needed that extra bit of light and you didn't have your bag with you well it just might come in handy but what do I know :D

Dude, don't get me started :lol: I COMPLETELY agree with you.

I once made the comment in the presence of some hardened pros and they laughed long and hard at me. Apparently the way to tell a pro camers in their eyes is it doesnt have a pop up flash (because it's useless, small, not enough light, only in one direction, cant be bounced etc.)

but I say that's all rubbish and they're being snobs. You CAN use it for a bit of fill flash, you can use it on summer days to equal out the light a bit, you can get a bit of catch light in the eyes of a portrait, you can also use it to control other remote flash units!

Canon don't agree but Nikon do and the equivalent cameras in the Nikon range do indeed come with pop up flash and very useful it is too.

Skywatcher
08-03-2012, 09:38 AM
yep I use mine all the time to control my flashgun off camera - the fish shots are all taken with the pop up - up and the flashgun held in the hand just nestled aroudn the end of the lens - only way I've found to shoot through glass with any degree of success.

Interested to see those ISO shots though. that potentially has the ability to revolutionise astrophotography - the fact you can expand even above what I quoted before is the stuff of science fiction! - maybe thats why no flash then as tis camera can see in the dark :lol:

Wendy
08-03-2012, 10:07 AM
I am not letting my Chris anywhere near this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

He can't have the new ipad and he's not a happy bunny :lol:

I guess now would be a good time to look for a nice second hand ipad 2 :unsure:

Skywatcher
08-03-2012, 11:08 AM
whoops

accidentally clicked 'buy' on a 64gb wifi in white

:D

oh and a blue clicky cover

catrancher
08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Er... So is it full Siri on this? They say voice dictation but has it got full functionality?

Sorry sir. No Siri, sir on this one. :sigh:

Does anyone else kep getting safari drop outs on websites with their older iPads?

You mean does Safari suddenly roll over and die? Mine does it frequently. I've found that when it starts to happen, if I completely stop all open applications including Safari and then just restart Safari, life gets better for a while.

but Nikon do and the equivalent cameras in the Nikon range do indeed come with pop up flash and very useful it is too.

I win! :happydance:

Tom (:macwave:... happy little Nikon type person.)

keith
08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
yayayayay :)

I wonder if the covers are the same as the ipad2 and I wonder if the current screen films will fit :/

Wendy
08-03-2012, 12:16 PM
whoops

accidentally clicked 'buy' on a 64gb wifi in white

:D

oh and a blue clicky cover

You are sooooo bad :lol: :lol:

Skywatcher
08-03-2012, 12:54 PM
:lol:

it was always going to happen - upset about siri though :/ was looking forward to that - will have to wait for the iPhone 5 then ;)

Didn't get it engraved as I am thinking at some point in the future I may sell it on

so 8 days till iPad 3 ishness

so nice to have an apple countdown again :D

Britchick
08-03-2012, 05:56 PM
i appear to have been very very norty!

32GB black wifi. I don't have an issue with storage, with red cover. Also ordered Jon an iMac and as i was spending so much no-one would notice apple tv would they?

catrancher
08-03-2012, 06:09 PM

Good for you! :happydance:

Tom (:macwave:... I need to order something from Apple and re-join the living.)

keith
08-03-2012, 06:33 PM

32GB black wifi. I don't have an issue with storage, with red cover. Also ordered Jon an iMac and as i was spending so much no-one would notice apple tv would they?

good for you! did you get your NHS discount?!

Britchick
08-03-2012, 06:41 PM
good for you! did you get your NHS discount?!

i've got a NUS card as i'm studying with the OU at the moment, that's 15% off the mac and a small amount off iPad which is was surprised at. :thumbsup:

keith
08-03-2012, 06:58 PM
i've got a NUS card as i'm studying with the OU at the moment, that's 15% off the mac and a small amount off iPad which is was surprised at. :thumbsup:

Oo yeah the higher ed discount is great!

Skywatcher
09-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Yep the NHS discount isn't really very good ,and WTG Brit you will regret none of those purchases I'm sure.

My iMac seems to get better with each passing year unlike any PC I have ever owned or the one I am using at work which deteriorates by the day and i can barely hear anyone over the fan or the sound of updates to windoze/adobe/virus checker etc etc. Not sure if that is technically feasable but it really does seem that way.

Just changed my ISP to Sky from orange and my connection has gone from 2MPS to 8 - changing to the new router was a pleasant affair ! so so eay compared to setting up th eorange one with my HP computer many years ago where I had to go in and manually set up the router.

Family are all dead excited about the new iPad - watched the keynote in full last night all sat around the mac - very sad in a way but brilliantly put together as always - astonishing figures given out for the 'post pc revolution'

The genius to me, is like the devices, Mac seem to have an intimate relationship with their clients , whereas with PC you always felt like a number , with apple you feel like you are part of it - and I love that

So... why no Siri

is it

1. the chip is too busy driving all them pixels
2. the siri servers couldn't handle several million more hits from ipad users as well

or

3. its coming , please remember siri is still in beta
4. his is what they will sell the ipad 3 s with ?

keith
09-03-2012, 02:41 PM
yeah I agree with all you said

no siri, I don't know. They were sued recently in the UK for all the "we cant do that unless you're in the states" but won the case. Perhaps they're waiting until they can add some more functionality to it :/

perhaps they're worried about the data it would use

It's weird that it's not there I admit, but I'm looking forward to the new device for sure :)

Britchick
09-03-2012, 07:24 PM
ugh! my iPad isn't going to be here until April 2nd :sorry: boo

keith
09-03-2012, 07:59 PM
ugh! my iPad isn't going to be here until April 2nd :sorry: boo

thats interesting :/ have they already started sending out delayed notices? did you order online or ?

Britchick
09-03-2012, 08:10 PM
thats interesting :/ have they already started sending out delayed notices? did you order online or ?

yes i did but yesterday evening as I couldn't get online before then :( now stating 2/3 weeks.

keith
09-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Mine's changed to Preparing for Shipment Delivers on March 16 but then if it DOES get there on the right day, it will be only the second time Apple have managed it

Britchick
10-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Mine's changed to Preparing for Shipment Delivers on March 16 but then if it DOES get there on the right day, it will be only the second time Apple have managed it

2 years ago I got mine the day befor I'm sure :unsure:

Skywatcher
10-03-2012, 07:23 AM
I think that was a result of all the lengthy delays last time, remember we got them quite a while after the US at the beginning.

Mine now says 'preparing for shipment' now as well

I did notice about an hour after I bought one so by midday on the Thursday the page for ordering had changed from 'on march 16th' to after march 18th so all their early allocation must have gone and some configurations will be more popular than others.

Just one last thought, as you did such an impressive order and apple l,Ickes to ship everything at the same time, is there any chance it's any one of the other items, like the new TV.

Skywatcher
10-03-2012, 09:36 AM
now stated as 'shipped ' :mental:

Deafjeff
10-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Dad just got email saying that iPad is now being shipped :mental:

Britchick
10-03-2012, 11:52 AM
I think that was a result of all the lengthy delays last time, remember we got them quite a while after the US at the beginning.

Mine now says 'preparing for shipment' now as well

I did notice about an hour after I bought one so by midday on the Thursday the page for ordering had changed from 'on march 16th' to after march 18th so all their early allocation must have gone and some configurations will be more popular than others.

Just one last thought, as you did such an impressive order and apple l,Ickes to ship everything at the same time, is there any chance it's any one of the other items, like the new TV.

i did it on separate orders so that i would get everything when it was ready :yes: not as stupid as i look LOL. No i think that by the time i booked they had already taken too many orders to fulfil. I may be lucky and get it a little earlier. Shame as Jon's off to China on Thursday and would have liked to take my current iPad with him. He can't have it and me be without of 2-3 weeks LOL

keith
10-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Shipped by a decent courier as well! UPS

wow, interesting to see when the tracking starts and where it actually starts from

keith
10-03-2012, 07:46 PM
do we know if the apple cases from the 2 fit the 3?

catrancher
10-03-2012, 08:44 PM
do we know if the apple cases from the 2 fit the 3?

Yep! :yes:

From the Apple Store:

The iPad Smart Cover is compatible with iPad 2 or later.

Tom (:macwave:... ohhh.... compatibility...)

josh.p.
10-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Great... I've got post-disney blues and now I've also got iPad envy to add to that!! :thumbsdown: :wink:

keith
10-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Yep! :yes:

From the Apple Store:

Tom (:macwave:... ohhh.... compatibility...)

yay thanks Tom! no idea what colour I'll get for the white one though hmmm

Britchick
10-03-2012, 09:38 PM
yay thanks Tom! no idea what colour I'll get for the white one though hmmm

leather or synthetic?

keith
10-03-2012, 09:42 PM
leather or synthetic?

I know synthetic makes sense, but leather I think

Britchick
10-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I know synthetic makes sense, but leather I think

imo you have more choice of colour with the synthetic for the white - synthetic i'd choose the blue i think and leather the red or black. I've chosen red with a black one

keith
10-03-2012, 09:54 PM
imo you have more choice of colour with the synthetic for the white - synthetic i'd choose the blue i think and leather the red or black. I've chosen red with a black one

yeah I think the choices in synthetic seem more pastel which works better.. mmmm

Skywatcher
10-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Mmmm Julie and red and black leather, lol :D

Britchick
10-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Mmmm Julie and red and black leather, lol :D

i was thinking it was like Mickey Mouse! LOL

Skywatcher
10-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Yes yes...er....so was I . ............ Cough.....

Deafjeff
11-03-2012, 09:19 AM
It would be so wonderful if we could have Disney smart cover :mental:

Britchick
11-03-2012, 09:24 AM
It would be so wonderful if we could have Disney smart cover :mental:

It would, I was looking at the ones for my iPad last summer and I was really disapointed, they smelt funny! Lol

Deafjeff
11-03-2012, 09:25 AM
It would, I was looking at the ones for my iPad last summer and I was really disapointed, they smelt funny! Lol

Ermmmmm smelt funny?

What was the material?

Deafjeff
11-03-2012, 09:27 AM
oooohhh

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORANGE-Mickey-Disney-Cartoon-360-Rotating-Smart-Stand-Case-Apple-iPad-2-/310385862500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844706764#ht_2146wt_986

Britchick
11-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Fake looking leather, you'll probably see the same ones when you go! I got a nice iPhone 4 cover though with a picture of the castle, took me 2 weeks to work out which one to get as there is a lot of choice and they're not all in one place!

Skywatcher
12-03-2012, 08:16 AM
hmm my tracking order states Syncreon are they just middlemen who pass it to UPS then Keith? - not heard of them before I have to say

keith
12-03-2012, 08:20 AM
hmm my tracking order states Syncreon are they just middlemen who pass it to UPS then Keith? - not heard of them before I have to say

They could well just be a logistics company in the middle... mine just says ups at the moment. Perhaps they're using different delivery companies

Skywatcher
12-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Fake looking leather, you'll probably see the same ones when you go! I got a nice iPhone 4 cover though with a picture of the castle, took me 2 weeks to work out which one to get as there is a lot of choice and they're not all in one place!

can you not use your old catwoman outfit?

Skywatcher
12-03-2012, 08:28 AM
They could well just be a logistics company in the middle... mine just says ups at the moment. Perhaps they're using different delivery companies

hmm interesting - mine has no mention of UPS and the tracking number doesn't work for UPS either - still styates I'll get it on the 16th though

keith
12-03-2012, 08:53 AM
hmm interesting - mine has no mention of UPS and the tracking number doesn't work for UPS either - still styates I'll get it on the 16th though

Perhaps any one existing courier just couldnt commit to the volume so they used different ones

Britchick
12-03-2012, 04:56 PM

you know one of these days i will buy me a catsuit and post a picture on here! then you'll be sorry :yes:

Skywatcher
12-03-2012, 05:04 PM
:excited::shy:
you know one of these days i will buy me a catsuit and post a picture on here! then you'll be sorry :yes:

Britchick
14-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Well the Mac is out for delivery :happybounce: not sure if we'll get it today as I'm off to the university of Sheffield with Dan, Jon's trying to get home though.
Fingers crossed!

Skywatcher
14-03-2012, 08:32 AM

so excited for you - I love the intro movie when you turn it on for the first time

Wendy
14-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Well the Mac is out for delivery :happybounce: not sure if we'll get it today as I'm off to the university of Sheffield with Dan, Jon's trying to get home though.
Fingers crossed!

Brilliant news :happydance: :happydance:

catrancher
14-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Fingers crossed!

Tom (:macwave:... manna from Apple!)

Deafjeff
14-03-2012, 02:50 PM
YAY!!!!!!

:wiggle::wiggle::wiggle::wiggle:

Skywatcher
14-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Has anyones tracking changed at all yet? mine still says synchreon and nothing moving :unsure:

keith
14-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Has anyones tracking changed at all yet? mine still says synchreon and nothing moving :unsure:

Apparently it's all from Apple high command. They dont want anything shipped or given until friday so all the couriers are under order not to let the shipping status change until (apparently) 24 hrs before.

A lot of people have called and moaned, only to be given a printout scan of their ipads journey and have found out that they're mostly already with the courier at the local depot just waiting to go out on the van. Apple don't want people knowing apparently in case the hoards descended on the local courier depots trying to get early delivery.

All part of the Apple mystery and suspense.

Skywatcher
14-03-2012, 05:28 PM
cheers bud :D

Skywatcher
14-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Things are happening - just had an email with my invoice sent through from Ireland

Britchick
14-03-2012, 06:43 PM
we got it and Jon managed to set it up before he goes away tomorrow. I wasn't allowed to 'unbox' it while he was away....I think he got the bug didn't he? LOL

Skywatcher
14-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Photos please :)

keith
14-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Throughout the times I've LOVED macosx and the times I've been annoyed by it and used windows... the one thing that's stayed constant is that the 27" imac has been the best desktop computer I've ever bought :yes: it's running windows 8 right now (cry) and macosx on dual boot. Totally silently, fast, stable and just perfect.

I guess I should think about getting a later one but somehow with macs, you just dont seem to feel the need do you?

Britchick
14-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Photos please :)

tomorrow, i've had a very loooonnnngggg day

Skywatcher
14-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Throughout the times I've LOVED macosx and the times I've been annoyed by it and used windows... the one thing that's stayed constant is that the 27" imac has been the best desktop computer I've ever bought :yes: it's running windows 8 right now (cry) and macosx on dual boot. Totally silently, fast, stable and just perfect.

I guess I should think about getting a later one but somehow with macs, you just dont seem to feel the need do you?

I got mine , if I remember, at the same time as you and hands down it is the best bit of kit i have ever used. Never once complained and I swear it gets better as time goes on. I still stroke it's silky back. I will only change when I am absolutely forced to by advances in technology.

Worth every single penny.

And I only got the i5

I actually love it

Britchick
14-03-2012, 08:08 PM
we got the i7 :happybounce:

Skywatcher
15-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Well the store went down this morning and whenit came up the 'tracking' button no longer says the 16th as delivery date - oh no - it says I can expect mine on............. the 13th of March

:unsure:

er.... it isn't here.........

:lol:

Britchick
15-03-2012, 10:02 AM
There she is, I got back home and Jon had sawn a shelf off of the computer desk to make it fit!

Wendy
15-03-2012, 10:22 AM
:D very nice

Skywatcher
15-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Aint she purdy :D

catrancher
15-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Ohhh... Ahhh.... Shiny! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... likes new hardware!)

Skywatcher
15-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Not sure I'm actually going to get tracking for the iPad from synchreon, still staunchly says delivery expected on the 13th ( which may be when they got it)

However my apple support profile has updated so I know the serial number of my new pad now :) ( I am a sad sad man :lol:)

Skywatcher
15-03-2012, 05:04 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/02d819ef-24ab-f626.jpg

Ok not used tapatalk to upload a piccy let's see if this works, apparently synchreon may be delivering or a bloke in a van

But all looks good, they are very clever, most tracking doesn't list future events :lol:

keith
15-03-2012, 08:06 PM
10725.vB

Wendy
15-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Are you a tad excited :D

keith
15-03-2012, 09:25 PM
:happybounce::happybounce::happybounce:

keith
15-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Also ordered the canon 5d MKIII but don't tell or I'm dead :unsure::nono:

Wendy
15-03-2012, 09:33 PM

Do you want my Chris to never speak to you again :lol:

You can only use one camera at a time you know :lol:

keith
15-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Do you want my Chris to never speak to you again :lol:

You can only use one camera at a time you know :lol:

:taunt: :taunt:

Skywatcher
15-03-2012, 10:38 PM
:jawdrop: duuuuuude I wish I lived closer !

(not really surprised BTW ;) )

catrancher
16-03-2012, 02:01 AM

Oh... can I watch? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... Alas, poor Keith! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest)

keith
16-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Oh... can I watch? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... Alas, poor Keith! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest)

:taunt:

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 08:26 AM
OK I stop what I am doing and check this thread for a :taunt:

I was sure yours had been delivered :lol:

Reading about the 5d iii last night and it really does look impressive, although I am nowhere even close to touching the corners of my 7d so an upgrade would be pointless for me - plus the fps, which is important for me is actually less on the 5d. For portrait work and lanscapes though I fully appreciate that is of no real value.

(still think it should have a pop up flash ;) )

Britchick
16-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Currys have them in stock for delivery in 3-5 days, mmm what to do? :unsure:

keith
16-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Reading about the 5d iii last night and it really does look impressive, although I am nowhere even close to touching the corners of my 7d so an upgrade would be pointless for me - plus the fps, which is important for me is actually less on the 5d. For portrait work and lanscapes though I fully appreciate that is of no real value.

(still think it should have a pop up flash ;) )

I still think it should have a pop up flash too ;-) although I have a nikon d800 on order as well which does! hmmm!

the reason I love the 5d series is for the 35mm size sensor. It makes a huge difference in getting that lovely small depth of field I like. The III doesnt feel like such a huge leap forward for Canon though, more like a 5d with 7d features (kinda). The nikon d800 seems more of an advance. Still, the old 5d was sloowwwww so I think it'll be a useful upgrade.

Anyway, we digress, ipads! No chance of mine being here early, UPS tend to be an afternoon delivery round here and I suspect today they'll have a LOT to deliver!

britchick, hmmm I'd be tempted to order from the place that has em in stock for sooner delivery and cancel apple.

Britchick
16-03-2012, 09:22 AM
I've managed to get one to be delivered to out Tescos tomorrow after 4pm :happybounce: oh and I changed my mind....I ordered a white one :happybounce:

Wendy
16-03-2012, 09:36 AM
I've managed to get one to be delivered to out Tescos tomorrow after 4pm :happybounce: oh and I changed my mind....I ordered a white one :happybounce:

:happybounce::happybounce::happybounce:

keith
16-03-2012, 09:54 AM

This will be my first white one, VERY unusual for me but I'm looking forward to it

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Mine too never had any white devices

if you read the trhead it looks like I influenced your decision on this :lol: gawd I hope you like it :D

keith
16-03-2012, 10:02 AM

if you read the trhead it looks like I influenced your decision on this :lol: gawd I hope you like it :D

:tongue: Im looking forward to it! feels like a bigger upgrade than the 2

Deafjeff
16-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Yay! Got white one too :yes:

Britchick
16-03-2012, 11:44 AM
This will be my first white one, VERY unusual for me but I'm looking forward to it

It was Keith that made me think about it when looking for case colours for his, not cancelling my apple one just yet as i have a sneaking suspicion that it won't be there when i go to pick it up

Britchick
16-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Yay! Got white one too :yes:

LOL!! i wonder if one of us jumped off a bridge the other would follow? :tongue:

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Its in my hand :)

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 01:38 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/52848b9d-4252-f7a5.jpg

keith
16-03-2012, 01:40 PM
WOOOHOHOHOHOHOH

nothing here yet but UPS is always late around here soooo could be awhile :)

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 01:50 PM
never seen these couriers before just a white van with parcel post on it or something - they do the job though :)

Thomas wants to unbox it so thats fine, no point me taking it to bits as I can't sync it at work anyway

lots of apps to update tonight to support 'retina display' , interesting to see what everyone thinks

IMHO it should have shipped with iPhoto and iMovie - that would have been a nice touch

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 02:10 PM
I won't get hom etill late so even though I have mine first i'm sure you will be playing on yours before me :)

keith
16-03-2012, 02:29 PM
IMHO it should have shipped with iPhoto and iMovie - that would have been a nice touch

yeah agreed. It's not like it's low cost item. Macs always used to come with ilife - iphoto/movie etc and the ipad should have as well

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 04:46 PM

Keith man, has it not come yet?

Britchick
16-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Keith man, has it not come yet?

GULP :unsure:

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 06:45 PM
OK it is sat syncing next to me as I type, I have set it up as a copy of my old one as the icons light up they are 'cut you eyes sharp' I really wasn't that bothered about ' the screen' but OMG THE SCREEN!

keith
16-03-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't fare well with couriers :(

I'd say upwards of 70% of the time, I wait in all day only to see the status changed online from "delivery" to "no-one home, card left".

I used to think it was the address we lived at, perhaps it was confusing with another address, but we've moved a couple of times and the only factor that remains consistent is me.

Anyway, same this time, 4:30pm status changed from "out for delivery" to "no one home, card left".

Of course had been working from home all day rushing to the window every time I heard a car.

Called and moaned. Nothing can be done, have to deliver next week. Moaned more. perhaps could do monday or saturday. More moaning.

Anyway, driver made the effort to come all the way back after he'd finished his shift to apologise and rectify the mistake. So fair play to the guy and I've now taken the pins out of the voodoo doll.

The worst one was probably the Home Delivery Network. They failed to deliver three times, I'd call them up and get "theres no point calling us in the daytime we cant contact the driver and it could come anytime till 6". Call at 6, their phone lines are off. Call again the next day and you guessed it.... can't contact driver call after 6.

me and couriers :( (mutters quietly, not like it's rocket science......)

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 06:51 PM
so have you got it mate?

keith
16-03-2012, 06:54 PM
so have you got it mate?

I have thanks :))) the guy took the trouble to come out again tonight rather than wait till tomorrow, so all forgiven.

After being up till 5am working, back up at 7am in case it came early! I'm now going to have a nap whilst it acclimatises and play later :)

phew!

Hope everyone is pleased with theirs!!!!

keith
16-03-2012, 06:58 PM
oh I should add, Sister has wanted one for years but finally asked me in december if she should jump for a 2. I advised waiting and guess march for the 3.

Well every week she's texted me becoming less and less impressed with my advice to wait.

She received hers today to the hospital where she works and I've had hundreds of excited texts from her since. She loves it and can't imagine needing her computer any more. Not sure her poor patients got much attention today but she's very very pleased.

Mum who received her 2 as a christmas present, hasn't turned on her desktop computer since and I haven't seen her without the ipad since!

it may just be gadgets and electronnics but they are changing how people live/work/play

Britchick
16-03-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't know what apple are playing at, I've just ordered apple tv from John Lewis to be delivered on Monday, apple are showing dispatch on 30th :unsure: have cancelled the apple one. How come they haven't kept enough stock to give their customers?

Deafjeff
16-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't know what apple are playing at, I've just ordered apple tv from John Lewis to be delivered on Monday, apple are showing dispatch on 30th :unsure: have cancelled the apple one. How come they haven't kept enough stock to give their customers?

:jawdrop: you going for apple tv? I am still undecided...

Deafjeff
16-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I have thanks :))) the guy took the trouble to come out again tonight rather than wait till tomorrow, so all forgiven.

After being up till 5am working, back up at 7am in case it came early! I'm now going to have a nap whilst it acclimatises and play later :)

phew!

Hope everyone is pleased with theirs!!!!

PHEW!

Britchick
16-03-2012, 07:43 PM
:jawdrop: you going for apple tv? I am still undecided...

I am, I tried it at Dizneyblonde's and really liked it, going to cancel sky movies and just rent the movies I want when I want

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 07:46 PM
it may just be gadgets and electronnics but they are changing how people live/work/play

Very true bud. They really are everywhere and being used for a vast array of purposes. I use mine at work with my hobbies and at home.

I am still sat gazing at the iTunes icon on the iPads home screen as it syncs. Even that is a thing of beauty and is cut your eyes sharp. I have my iPad one open next to it and , frankly, I would not have believed how vast the difference in sharpness was. It always looked 'HD' to me.

I will need to upload some majorly huge photos to the new iPad as the ones I have on there at the moment now look pretty poor. It shows off the RAW files I have on there just beautifully so so much detail. If you like your photos this is a significant jump forward.

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 07:47 PM
I am, I tried it at Dizneyblonde's and really liked it, going to cancel sky movies and just rent the movies I want when I want

I kinda want the new one now do I can watch HD. May buy one in secret and switch it over ;)

Deafjeff
16-03-2012, 07:49 PM

Wow, I'm not sure of the subtitles context just yet. That kinda putting me off. For example as far as I'm aware all of the tv series is not being subtitled :-(

Britchick
16-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Wow, I'm not sure of the subtitles context just yet. That kinda putting me off. For example as far as I'm aware all of the tv series is not being subtitled :-(

You should email them Jeff, you never know....

Deafjeff
16-03-2012, 08:29 PM
You should email them Jeff, you never know....

Did some research it does seems fairly bit of films are subtitles and only 10 tv series are being subtitled at the moment which is not that good ho hum.....

Need another reason to buy apple tv!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pguuuz

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Did some research it does seems fairly bit of films are subtitles and only 10 tv series are being subtitled at the moment which is not that good ho hum.....

Need another reason to buy apple tv!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pguuuz

You can play angry birds on your telly. And possibly even watch your FaceTime on there as well :)

keith
16-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Now, do I put a screen film over it to protect it or not :/ I have on both the others. hmmm

Deafjeff
16-03-2012, 08:34 PM
You can play angry birds on your telly. And possibly even watch your FaceTime on there as well :)

Keep going......

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vrot1p

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Keep going......

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vrot1p

Great way to stream photos and videos and any movies you have in your iTunes. I use it for radio and music.

Netflix. Vimeo. Flickr and YouTube all on there as well.

Britchick
16-03-2012, 08:41 PM
I've had mine 2 years and no film....

Deafjeff
16-03-2012, 08:43 PM

What did you use it for?

Deafjeff
16-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Great way to stream photos and videos and any movies you have in your iTunes. I use it for radio and music.

Netflix. Vimeo. Flickr and YouTube all on there as well.

Fair enough and I wonder if Netflix have subtitle access....

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3ern1y

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 08:45 PM

Sorry Julie no film on what ?

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Fair enough and I wonder if Netflix have subtitle access....

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3ern1y

30% but increasing apparently

Deafjeff
16-03-2012, 09:23 PM
30% but increasing apparently

Thanks who got apple tv 3 and subscription to Netflix wondering if could check the subtitles to see if it works on apple tv....

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1ehvzf

Britchick
16-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Sorry Julie no film on what ?

Keith asked about putting a film on his new iPad... I am in the write thread aren't I? Lol

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Sorry, missed that bit.

Just typed this using the dictation software ! How cool is this ?

We have movies on the iPads for the kids to watch in the back of the car

Britchick
16-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Show off! I forgot that, do you reckon you could dictate essays on it? That would be a dream!

keith
16-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Show off! I forgot that, do you reckon you could dictate essays on it? That would be a dream!

I really can't use the onscreen keyboard for long bits of text so if its good enough to dictate reports that would be awesome

Britchick
16-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Well my order from tescos has been dispatched from the warehouse and is on the way to the store! Still keeping fingers crossed

Deafjeff
16-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Well my order from tescos has been dispatched from the warehouse and is on the way to the store! Still keeping fingers crossed

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Just playing with the new dictation software and it's very impressive , much more impressive than dragon, dictated all this and it hasn't got anything wrong yet.

Britchick
16-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Just playing with the new dictation software and it's very impressive , much more impressive than dragon, dictated all this and it hasn't got anything wrong yet.

Wonder what it will do with an accent.......Keith? :taunt:

Skywatcher
16-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Hey hey cam down cam down

Seems fine to me ;)

keith
17-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Wonder what it will do with an accent.......Keith? :taunt:

where the heck do you think I'm from? :lol:

Britchick
17-03-2012, 08:15 AM
where the heck do you think I'm from? :lol:

Oop North?

keith
17-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Oop North?

:wave:

Skywatcher
17-03-2012, 04:11 PM
So... What does everyone think then ? Seems a big upgrade to me coming from a 1. What about coming from a 2 ?

Btw our local comet had them in stock this morning !

Britchick
17-03-2012, 04:12 PM
It's here!

Deafjeff
17-03-2012, 05:05 PM
So... What does everyone think then ? Seems a big upgrade to me coming from a 1. What about coming from a 2 ?

Btw our local comet had them in stock this morning !

It feels much faster :yes:

Picture much more sharper!

Deafjeff
17-03-2012, 05:06 PM
It's here!

Yay!

Deafjeff
17-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Decided to buy Apple TV and found the mirror option but it doesn't show a full screen just a screen in the middle.

Is there anyway to expand the screen to a full screen when mirror iPad for example mirror the website, or even games.

Any advice would be very welcome!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cdefwg

Britchick
17-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm whiz zing around the Internet! A lot sharper, I've upgraded from a 1 too so lots more features. I wonder why they've called it the 3rd generation ? Dictation is really good and I think it will save me ages!

Deafjeff
17-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Strange question I know, how do I know which app is compatible for AirPlay?

Tink
17-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Brit, if you don't mind what sounds like a simplistic question, what exactly are all the things you use it for, please?

Britchick
17-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Brit, if you don't mind what sounds like a simplistic question, what exactly are all the things you use it for, please?

Oooh, it's never far from me really

Emails
IMessages
Browsing the Internet
Reading books
Subscribe to Magazines
Games
Watch videos
Listen to podcasts
Listen to music
Listen to audio content for the course I'm currently studying
Uploading photos to and now editing photos
Watching TV
Calendar, all the household share this on different devices
Shopping lists
To do lists- everyone can access these within family or they can be on the device only
Banking
Checking work emails
Playing games
FaceTime, so much better than skype
Theres a great app called course notes which I put notes and plan essays on
Recipes in the kitchen , saves printing it out

That's all I can think of for now :)

Deafjeff
17-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Brit, I would love to be able to share my calendar with hubby but I would like to share my with him but not for him to share with me as his clients are private etc. We struggled to do this. How can we do this?

Furthermore, to do list I would love to share this, how?

Britchick
17-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Jeff you can set up different calendars ie work and home, I'm presuming you're both on apple devices? So he could keep all his work things separate.
The best thing is that as I make an appointment I know that I'm free and put it straight away for all to see, stops a lot of arguments

We share notes via the app that comes pre installed, same thing as the calendars, some lists are on device some in the cloud. I use this for making shopping lists, it doesn't matter if I make the list on the iPad or iPhone it's with me when I go out and I can update it at any time.

There's also the reminders app (pre installed) haven't really used this to its full yet but apparently you can set it to remind you of something at a certain time or when you get to a certain place

Deafjeff
17-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks, we did that and ended up Stephen work diary creeping into my calendar wasn't sure how that happened :unsure:

What kind of setting we need to set up to prevent this?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?olwvs0

Britchick
17-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't know sorry :sorry:Maybe Keith will know?

Skywatcher
17-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Tink I use mine for all the things Brit uses hers for but now taking and editing videos.

I use mine to take notes during lectures as well. To help with appraisal work and the iCloud means that any learning journals are accessible and editable from any mobile device as well as any pc anywhere.

Also used it as a sat nav :)

Britchick
17-03-2012, 10:34 PM
I haven't used it as a sat nav...may try that, lot easier to see than on the iPhone

Tink
17-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I keep trying to justify it for work (and play) but I'm just not having any luck... :sigh:

Wendy
18-03-2012, 10:15 AM
I've been looking at the difference in prices between here and the US :rolleyes2: - a black 32gb wifi - $641 incl tax in US or 579 in UK - that's about 170 cheaper :sigh:

keith
18-03-2012, 11:49 AM
I've been looking at the difference in prices between here and the US :rolleyes2: - a black 32gb wifi - $641 incl tax in US or 579 in UK - that's about 170 cheaper :sigh:

nah I think you've got the models mixed up a bit there?

a black 32GB wifi ipad3 is 479 over here not 579

so take 100 off that difference.

Still cheaper for sure over in the US though but not *that* much

Tink
18-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Saw the new ones in Target. They were expensive! One model was nearly $900. :sigh:

I want one. But I have to be able to justify it in my own mind and I just can't get there. I keep thinking for a few hundred more (ok, probably several) I could just get another mac air.

keith
18-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Saw the new ones in Target. They were expensive! One model was nearly $900. :sigh:

I want one. But I have to be able to justify it in my own mind and I just can't get there. I keep thinking for a few hundred more (ok, probably several) I could just get another mac air.

Ach it's hard that one.

It's a new device and if you learn to live with and use it, you find yourself doing things in different ways.

For example, I hate taking paper into meetings. So I've tended to use a laptop but then I feel like I'm hiding behind it and if you have 5 or 6 people all hiding behind their laptops, it's not a productive meeting environment. With the ipad, we can take notes, share ideas, call up web pages and so on in a much more open plan way.

I CAN use my macbook air on my lap but I tend to prefer it on a table/desk. The ipad can laze with me on a chair/cough whatever and yet I can still browse.

As more and more apps come out, theyre getting better at the format of the ipad. More and more I find apps that I enjoy more on the ipad than on a laptop.

It's not an absolutely necessary device right now :) that's what's hard, but somehow the more I use it, the less I'd want to live without it.

catrancher
18-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Another thing I've found that I actually like about the iPad is it frees me from worrying about the filesystem. What goes where and that sort of thing. On the iPad, that makes sense. On my Mac, not so much.

Tom (:macwave:... which gives me an idea. :brightidea:)

Wendy
18-03-2012, 12:55 PM
nah I think you've got the models mixed up a bit there?

a black 32GB wifi ipad3 is 479 over here not 579

so take 100 off that difference.

Still cheaper for sure over in the US though but not *that* much

:doh: the one I looked at was for the 4G as well :sorry:

Skywatcher
18-03-2012, 04:04 PM
The more I play the more I love this thing , the Internet looks beautiful, unfortunately it makes a lot if it look pixelated bit a lot if photos just leap off the sites :yes:

Oh and Matthew has just realised that if you have several apps open a grand sweep from side to side changes between apps without having to double click the home button