PDA

View Full Version : canon or nikon or sony

nemo
08-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Im looking to upgrade to a digital slr and see most of you have canon 400 I think?

I really like the look of the nikon d80 is this a worse choice?

really dont want to make an expensive mistake

Slowhand
08-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I`ll get in here before Keith and say NIKON ! :lol:
Seriously though you won`t go wrong with Canon or Nikon. It`s just that I went for a Nikon some time ago when Jessops had a great deal going and since then I`ve had some other lenses so I guess that I`m now stuck with Nikon...not that I mind.

keith
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
:lol: Terry beat me to it :P

There's a huge history behind all this but we'll ignore that :lol: and say that for a number of years now canon were better technically. In other words, they had a full frame digital SLR, a lower price entry model and crucially, better high iso (low light) capability.

Last year that changed. Nikon caught up and surpassed them in just about everyone's opinion. Of course, Canon will leapfrog them again and so on! It's how it goes.

At the entry level end, you can't go wrong with either brand! they both have great bits of kid. I should say I'd advise staying away from the VERY entry level, ie. avoid the nikon d40 if you can (not that there's anything wrong with it if anyone has one, it's just you have to be careful what lenses you buy) and the canon 1000d.

I'd say the best nikon is at about the d80 level with the d300 being AMAZING if you can afford it. Then the d700 and D3 being wowsome full frame cameras.

At the canon side of things, the canon 450d is the one to start with unless you can afford the 40d

More important is the lens selection. The kit lenses on both sides are pretty poor and won't get you the best out of the cameras. We can discuss lenses but a general tip is to buy the 50mm f1.8 lens whether you get canon or nikon. It's one of the sharpest, lightest, best lenses you can buy for about 80 :)

I used to be canon exclusively but now I have both brands which I use in different circumstances. My favourite camera is surprisingly a Nikon D3 which amazes me whenever I use it

Slowhand
08-08-2008, 01:33 PM
My favourite camera is surprisingly a Nikon D3 which amazes me whenever I use it

:smiley4::smiley3::sigs-tv-010:

Skywatcher
08-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Well I just love my 350d and these can be picked up pretty cheaply on ebay or retail now - depends on your budget and how hyperanalytical you want to get really

keith
08-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Well I just love my 350d and these can be picked up pretty cheaply on ebay or retail now - depends on your budget and how hyperanalytical you want to get really

Thats VERY true :p015:

uscwest
08-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Donna has been a Nikon person all her life. But she just recently bought a new Sony. She absolutely LOVES it. Unfortunately I don't remember which model she bought but I think Keith knows.

keith
08-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I can't remember the model but it was a good one

The Sony's tend to have a more vivid colour range representation straight out of the camera. This really means that for folks who don't want to edit their pictures much, the sony's can give very satisfying photos.:yes:

ukwdwnut
08-08-2008, 04:41 PM
i just love my 400D

but i would love to be able to afford a good lens, i guess i should save for the 17-85IS first

Shogun
09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I have the Canon 400D which is great and there is a fantastic range of lenses for it.

keith
09-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I have the Canon 400D which is great and there is a fantastic range of lenses for it.

yep and there are a lot of specially made lenses to cater for it's smaller sensor size... in other words lenses that are themselves made smaller, lighter cheaper than other lenses

Shogun
09-08-2008, 12:10 PM
. in other words lenses that are themselves made smaller, lighter cheaper than other lenses

The weight of the 100 - 400mm L glass is only offset by the amount of weight taken out of the wallet.
Try carrying that around all day & see if the lenses for it are light. :lol:

keith
09-08-2008, 12:14 PM
The weight of the 100 - 400mm L glass is only offset by the amount of weight taken out of the wallet.
Try carrying that around all day & see if the lenses for it are light. :lol:

:lol: ah yes indeed but the 100-400L isn't a specifically made EF-S lens :D It's those EF-S lenses that are made specifically for the smaller sensor size and are smaller/lighter/cheaper :)

I love the 100-400L though, and the 70-200L. Amongst my faves

Cj.
19-08-2008, 11:16 PM
The make and model of the camera doesn't really make much difference. I have used Sony's and Canon's. It is all about how you use the camera and what you do with it. With todays Technology most of the cameras kick out similar results.

The only advice I will give you is, make sure the brand you go for is what you want, as it is costly to change half way through.
Cj.