PDA

View Full Version : Hoop Dee Doo or the Luau

Wendy
05-03-2012, 02:16 PM
We've never been to either of these, I'm always worried about audience participation and being picked on :hide:

Try and convince me to try one this year :), if you could only choose one, which one would it be and why?

keith
05-03-2012, 02:34 PM
We've never been to either of these, I'm always worried about audience participation and being picked on :hide:

Try and convince me to try one this year :), if you could only choose one, which one would it be and why?

oh gosh, very difficult. Both are quite fun but very different.

Purely on not being picked on, it would be the luau by a narrow margin. Neither have LOTS of picking on, but the luau has either zero or one instance depending on which variant of the show they do (at one part of the show, one of the dancers puts down an item on stage and asks the person closest to pick it up and give it to them).

The Luau itself is fun enough. The food is mediocre, rice, chicken, ribs. It's edible although you're unlikely to go back just for the food :) All you can drink although the wines are all cheaper types than they used to be.

The hoop dee doo is, i'd say, better put together. The food is much better in my opinion even though it's chicken and ribs again.

There IS more audience participation but not so much that it worries me, and as you know, I worry about that very easily :lol:

All in all, if you've never seen either, then I'd say hoop dee doo first then luau

catrancher
05-03-2012, 02:41 PM
:yeahthat:

Luau - meh... Been there, done that. Would I go back? Prolly not. :shrug:

Hoop Dee Doo - Been there, enjoyed that. Yep. I'd go do it again. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... observe what Keith says though...)

uscwest
05-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Having done a real luau in Hawaii several times Donna and I have been reluctant to do the one at Disney. However, we do Hoop Dee Do almost every time we are there. We love it and the food is real good (ribs, chicken, etc. )

keith
05-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Have you been to the hoop dee doo since the "changes" Tom?

The songs have changed including the classic hoop dee doo one :/

It's... not as good.

catrancher
05-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Have you been to the hoop dee doo since the "changes" Tom?

Sadly, no. I haven't Keith.

Don't know how well I could deal with the lack of the classic Hoop Dee Doo song. :sigh:

Tom (:macwave:... staid traditionalist.)

Slowhand
05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I really must do the Hoop Dee Doo sometime.
I did the Luau ages ago and I made sure that I was hidden behind the huge VHS camera that I had at the time, especially when I sensed that some form of audience participation was imminent!. :hide:

keith
05-03-2012, 04:24 PM
We do each a couple of times when we go.... I consider both "turn brain off and have some wine" shows :) neither is taxing in any way :lol:

Hoop dee doo.... well it's changed and I guess we'll give it another chance in May but it was disappointing in Dec for the first time in many long years.

Wendy
05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
....................... when I sensed that some form of audience participation was imminent! :hide:

This from the person who was on the stage at the Adventurers Club :laugh:

Slowhand
05-03-2012, 04:50 PM
This from the person who was on the stage at the Adventurers Club :laugh:
The alcohol was obviously stronger at the AC. :lol:

Wendy
05-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Hhhm, ok, so which one am I more likely to get Chris to :lol: we don't drink so the free wine isn't make or break.

We did a luau in Hawaii, so I'm not sure if I would find it too "Disney" :anxious:

keith
05-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Hhhm, ok, so which one am I more likely to get Chris to :lol: we don't drink so the free wine isn't make or break.

We did a luau in Hawaii, so I'm not sure if I would find it too "Disney" :anxious:

oh dear, without the alcohol, hmmmmm :lol: erm ummm erm

The luau won't be a patch on Hawaii. I'd say try the hoop

Wendy
05-03-2012, 05:03 PM
oh dear, without the alcohol, hmmmmm :lol: erm ummm erm

The luau won't be a patch on Hawaii. I'd say try the hoop

OMG so you're telling me that you are able to go because the wine makes you brave :lol: :lol: you're not doing a very good job of convincing me here :lol: :lol:

keith
05-03-2012, 05:12 PM
OMG so you're telling me that you are able to go because the wine makes you brave :lol: :lol:

noooooooo not brave, there's no need for bravery at either show.... just that without a glass of two of wine, I may find myself looking something a little more mentally challenging than is provided on stage, especially at the luau :)

Now, not everyone will have that problem, but I have trouble "switching off" so yep, the unlimited wine does have a role to play :P

lisaw
05-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Love, love, love the Hoop de Doo but that was before the changes, bit worried now that I will be disappointed next year :unsure:

I hate audience participation with a passion, I will not do the Laugh Floor at MK and I hate those shows with cameras that pick out audience members to go on the big screen!!! The Hoop has never made me feel uncomfortable and if they did pick on you you could just say a polite no and they would leave you, no dragging up on stage!! Just don't acknowledge that it's your anniversary if it is!

Wendy
05-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Just don't acknowledge that it's your anniversary if it is!

So if I can convince Chris to go, it's better to do it this year rather than next then :lol: :lol: Did you say it was your anniversary Lisa :unsure:

keith
05-03-2012, 06:49 PM
So if I can convince Chris to go, it's better to do it this year rather than next then :lol: :lol: Did you say it was your anniversary Lisa :unsure:

DW did.... I'm still not happy about it!

Wendy
05-03-2012, 07:04 PM
DW did.... I'm still not happy about it!

:laugh: what happened :unsure:

keith
05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
:laugh: what happened :unsure:

huge mega powerful spotlight swung over us, they made me get up by physically pulling the chair from under me and pulled us to the centre of the room to do a "romantic dance".

RIGHT I can SEE you all laughing dont you think that I cant. STOP IT!

as for a romantic dance, it's a good job that looks can't kill or I'd be very single

Wendy
05-03-2012, 08:48 PM
huge mega powerful spotlight swung over us, they made me get up by physically pulling the chair from under me and pulled us to the centre of the room to do a "romantic dance".

RIGHT I can SEE you all laughing dont you think that I cant. STOP IT!

as for a romantic dance, it's a good job that looks can't kill or I'd be very single

:laugh: I would have wanted the ground to open up and swallow me :lol: I have made a mental note to never tell anyone at Disney when our anniversary is :lol:

robertcraig
05-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Only been to HOOP DEE DOO had agreat night and was picked on

Slowhand
06-03-2012, 03:38 PM
I have made a mental note to never tell anyone at Disney when our anniversary is :lol:
I know who I can tell in order to spread the word around! :evil:

Wendy
06-03-2012, 04:10 PM
I know who I can tell in order to spread the word around! :evil:

Oh no :lol: :lol: Ricky can't keep a secret at all - you wouldn't do that to me :surrender: it's not for a few years anyway :whistle:

Isafari
06-03-2012, 05:21 PM
We've done both and I prefer the Poly Luau. The Hoop dee Doo is a little too corny for me :shrug:

Have you thought of the Makahiki Luau....a lot better than the Disney version in my opinion.

uscwest
06-03-2012, 07:14 PM
We've been to Hoop Dee Doo since it changed and we still thoroughly enjoyed it, especially when Donna's brother, who was on his first ever Disney trip got picked to be on stage and ended up in a tutu. I don't drink anything other than ice tea when I am there as I'm not fond of the beer they serve and wine just doesn't go with fried chicken and ribs IMHO.

keith
06-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Have you thought of the Makahiki Luau....a lot better than the Disney version in my opinion.

I thought the show was better but I hated the seating :( all on huge tables with loads of other families shudder

lisaw
06-03-2012, 07:46 PM
I didn't and wouldn't ever admit to my birthday or anniversary anywhere at Disney! Lol

If they are still using the same 'script' they have set types of people they choose to go up on stage, I luckily don't fit any of them!

Wendy
06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I didn't and wouldn't ever admit to my birthday or anniversary anywhere at Disney! Lol

If they are still using the same 'script' they have set types of people they choose to go up on stage, I luckily don't fit any of them!

After reading what happened to Keith, I don't think I will ever say anything either :lol: