PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read the Hunger Games?

foreverducky
11-03-2012, 08:38 PM
I keep hearing about the Hunger Games. I know there is a movie coming out soon. Is the book any good?

Tink
12-03-2012, 12:02 AM
I've not read it. Tell me a bit about it. I'm looking for something relaxing to read, would this fit the bill?

Johnie
12-03-2012, 12:38 AM
It is a trilogy. They are amazing!!! I don't normally like anything sci-fi but LOVE these!!

And I would not call them relaxing at all. They are violent (though not nearly as violent as I was told they would be. I read much more graphic stuff) and just really good.

Tink
12-03-2012, 02:17 AM
By relaxing I mean, fiction. I read many professional things, so it's relaxing for me to read something that doesn't have to do with physiology, gerontology, Alzheimer's Disease, Resident Centered Care, or anatomy... pharmacology...

Tinkfan
12-03-2012, 03:24 AM
I've read the books as well and it is a good read. wasn't a fan of the ending however. It will take your mind off nursing!!!

Tink
12-03-2012, 03:35 AM
OMG, there you are!!! :hug2: :tralala: :hug2: HOW are you!

Johnie
12-03-2012, 04:00 AM
So glad to see you Trish!!!

I didn't like the 3rd book either. But I think that's due to the fact that I knew it was ending.

Britchick
12-03-2012, 07:33 AM
So is the film the whole trilogy or just one of the books? I love this kind of stuff and plan to go see it at the cinema, love sci fi, it looks a bit like the running man which I. Really liked

foreverducky
12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
By relaxing I mean, fiction. I read many professional things, so it's relaxing for me to read something that doesn't have to do with physiology, gerontology, Alzheimer's Disease, Resident Centered Care, or anatomy... pharmacology...

Amen Sister! :surrender:

Relaxing is a book that has nothing to do with criminology and psychology for me!

There are several books in the past that received a lot of attention that I ended up reading and liking (i.e.: Da Vinci Code, Harry Potter, etc), but I'm not a big sci-fi fan.

On a side note: I did see Lenny Kravitz in the trailer....yummy. :tongue:

Wendy
12-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Amen Sister! :surrender:

Relaxing is a book that has nothing to do with criminology and psychology for me!

I've just noticed your countdown timer, you only have 153 days left of your internship :mental:

foreverducky
12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I've just noticed your countdown timer, you only have 153 days left of your internship :mental:

I know! I'm so excited! :happybounce: Once it hits 99 days I'll be beside myself.

:bouncing:

Johnie
12-03-2012, 04:03 PM
The film is based on the first book.

And yes, Lenny Kravitz is in it as Cinna. I cannot wait for the movie to come out! It looks like it is well made.

Do you know anything about The Hunger Games at all?

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying ?ght to the death - televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS. LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.

Mari
12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I have

loved the first one, liked the second one, didnt care for the last one hahaha

but all in all, it was a good trilogy, the type you cant put down :)

and I cant wait for the film :)

Johnie
12-03-2012, 08:32 PM
The second book was my favorite out of the series. The 3rd was ok but didn't like it nearly as much. I wonder if that is because I knew it was ending?

Beccaberry
13-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Jon's BIL recommended them to Jon (who's not typically a non-fic reader) as an easy read for our last trip to Vermont. He read two of the three during the weekend. He ordered the third from his phone on the way home.

Afterwards, he convinced Baleigh to read them (the teenage market was the *original* target), B read them, LOVED them (to the point of tears a few times) and she and Jon have practically bonded over them. They wander about throwing out catch phrases that neither Andrew nor I understand. (Jon to B as she is getting out of the car for school last week: "May the odds be ever in your favor.")

They are so excited they have tickets to the midnight showing on the 23rd. Seriously? Jon doesn't "go" to movies (unless it's the Titanic) and he's going to the midnight showing?

Johnie
13-03-2012, 12:46 AM
And Jon got me started :tongue:

Beccaberry
13-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Omg! That's right! He did! And now B has her dad reading them!!

Johnie
13-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Lol I love word of mouth. I hooked two of my friends.

---

Mari
13-03-2012, 02:32 AM
I think its wonderful that Jon and B are going to the midnight showing!

How exciting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foreverducky
13-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I might have to download the first one. :yes:

simonwebb74
13-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Will definately have to download these, I cant seem to stop reading lately, I have a constant supply of books on my Dell :thumbsup:

catrancher
13-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Not a big fan of the "Criminal Minds" TV series are we? :unsure:

I'll be beside myself.

I'd probably pay good money to see that one. :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... what can I say? It's one of those mornings.)

Beccaberry
13-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I think its wonderful that Jon and B are going to the midnight showing!

How exciting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do they :) As of today, the BIL and sister that started it all will also be joining them! I, however, will be babysitting!! FREE SNUGGLE TIME WITH THE NIECE AND NEPHEW!

Johnie
13-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Awwww I need babies to snuggle with

foreverducky
13-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Not a big fan of the "Criminal Minds" TV series are we? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... what can I say? It's one of those mornings.)

Actually criminal minds is one of my favorite tv shows, however, I have not kept up with this season.

Tink
14-03-2012, 01:51 AM
I simply cannot watch Criminal Minds. It's just too brutal and intense for me. :sorry:

Johnie
14-03-2012, 02:36 AM
My tv viewing habits are atrocious. The more education I get, the worse they get lol. It's pure escapism. Or a psychological study :-)

Britchick
14-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Mine too johnie! I like all the quirky stuff though. Have you seen Grimm?

foreverducky
14-03-2012, 09:40 AM
I think criminal minds is fascinating, but I've been intrigued by all those really creepy people since seeing Silence of the Lambs at a very young and impressionable age. :lol:

Johnie, I wished I had no clue what you were talking about....but sadly I do. :wiggle:

Wendy
14-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Mine too johnie! I like all the quirky stuff though. Have you seen Grimm?

We're watching Grimm, it's really good :yes:

Johnie
14-03-2012, 02:30 PM
:tongue: oh now I read all sorts of psychological thrillers/books about serial killers, etc. I love that sort of stuff! Tv is just a mindless escape and I don't like to have to pay too much attention :yes:

No, I have not watched Grimm, I hear it is very good. I may have to see if it is on demand.

Wendy
14-03-2012, 02:37 PM
No, I have not watched Grimm, I hear it is very good. I may have to see if it is on demand.

I think you'll enjoy it :yes:

Beccaberry
15-03-2012, 02:38 PM
What about the new Snow White movie? Any interest there? I think I might see it...

simonwebb74
15-03-2012, 02:47 PM
What about the new Snow White movie? Any interest there? I think I might see it...

Definately, even my 9 year old son, who hates the cinema, has announced he wants to see it. Not sure if it is suitable though

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Britchick
15-03-2012, 04:04 PM
new Snow White Movie? :unsure:

Wendy
15-03-2012, 04:52 PM
new Snow White Movie? :unsure:

It's Snow White and the Huntsman there is a trailer below - not for those of a nervous disposition :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-UMNSVX7_I&hd=1

Johnie
15-03-2012, 05:40 PM
There is another Snow White movie coming out too. This one is with Julia Roberts and is called "Mirror Mirror"

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/11/15/mirror-mirror-trailer/

Johnie
15-03-2012, 05:41 PM
And I want to see both BTW :thumbsup:

Beccaberry
15-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Ahhhh...hadn't heard about the Huntsmen one...the Mirror, Mirror one was the one I was referring to. But I'd see both as well!

Tink
15-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Wendy, there is NO way I'm watchin' that sucker! :shocked:

Johnie
15-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't think the Huntmen one is coming out till summer? I haven't seen the trailers on tv, but I did see it when we went to see Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (excellent movie btw! and loved the books AFTER I saw the movie. go figure)

Mirror, Mirror comes out at the end of March.

catrancher
15-03-2012, 07:31 PM
The Julia Roberts one looks quite entertaining! :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdQ571H0RhM

I think the other one would scare me to death!

Tom (:macwave:... say hello to my little friend!)

foreverducky
15-03-2012, 10:01 PM
And I want to see both BTW :thumbsup:

Me too!

Wendy
15-03-2012, 10:26 PM
I think I'd be more likely to see the Mirror Mirror one :lol: