PDA

View Full Version : Baby Warthogs Born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Wendy
21-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Last month, Disney's Animal Kingdom welcomed five baby warthogs, three males and two females, to the Animal Kingdom family.

10791.vB

A few days ago, Gene Duncan stopped by to take some photos and one piglets posed with a Pumbaa plush. Toys are among the items provided to the animals for enrichment as part of our commitment to excellence in animal care.

The piglets, which are still backstage, weighed 1 ½ to just over 2 pounds at birth. Adult females weigh 110-165 pounds and adult males are larger, ranging from 130-330 pounds. The piglets are expected to be out on the Kilimanjaro Safaris savanna with their mom by late April.

With the new additions, Animal Kingdom now has four male and three female warthogs. In the wild, warthogs are designated as vulnerable due to habitat destruction and being hunted for meat.

Warthog Fun Facts:

Although the upper tusks are more impressive, it is the sharper lower tusks that are the warthog’s principal weapons.

Warts, which are prominent only on males, are skin growths and have no bony support. The warts are located on the side of the head and in front of the eyes. They serve to cushion blows sustained during battles over females.

Warthogs usually take over the abandoned burrows of other animals instead of making their own dens.

In the wild, warthogs’ habitat is widespread—they live in all African countries south of the Sahara Desert.

uscwest
21-03-2012, 01:59 PM
They're actually kind of cute when they're little.

Mari
22-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Awwwwwwww :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foreverducky
22-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Very cute.

Now, I wonder....do they taste like regular pigs?

Wendy
22-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Very cute.

Now, I wonder....do they taste like regular pigs?

:laugh:

Kate
22-03-2012, 11:40 AM
well i have been looking at his photo for a little while and i still cant work out whether i find them cute or not?!

Tink
23-03-2012, 12:47 AM
I think he's cute!! :yes:

Deb
23-03-2012, 06:59 AM
I might be strange but I think warthogs are lovely :D

Deafjeff
23-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Awww how cute :-)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zr5agw