PDA

View Full Version : Proud Aunty

Sam
31-03-2012, 05:34 PM
My lovely niece, who is in pallative care, has been chosen to carry the Olympic Torch through Swansea in May. I'm so proud I'm fit to burst. She's a bit of nutter in her electric wheelchair, I hope you doesn't take out any innocent spectators on the way.

The other great news that her mother booked her 18th birthday party. I have to be honest this is a miracle as we didn't expect her to live this long. A couple of years ago she died on a weekly basis and although the doctors can't actually say why she is so ill they have tried all sorts of treatments. The latest one seems to be helping, although it won't save her life it does seem to be prolonging it. She really is an amazing young woman who is so positive, despite her pain scale being at 8 - 9 every day. Amy plans her life as though she is going to live a normal life. In her room is a plaque that says, "don't count the days, make the days count". I think this is something we should all live by.

Well done Amy Claire. :bounce:

Wendy
31-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Oh Sam :hug2: huge congraulations to Amy Claire :hug2:

What a brave and wonderful young woman to be in so much pain and to have such a positive outlook.

I wish her all the luck in the world and you must get a photo of her with the Torch for us all to see :hug2:

Thank you so much for sharing this with us :hug2:

Kate
31-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Oh Sam, that is wonderful! Amy Claire sounds like a true inspiration, you must be so proud! :yes: :hug2:

Deb
31-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Sam, thank you so much for sharing such a lovely person in your life. What an inspirational young woman, and what a wonderful event she will be part of. So looking forward to seeing a photo of it. Oh, and of course of her celebrating her 18th!!! :D

A wonderful motto to live by too. Well done Amy Claire :hug2:

Tink
31-03-2012, 11:00 PM
What an incredible young woman. You are well right to be proud of her, Sam! Congratulations on the Olympic Torch honor!

Mari
01-04-2012, 04:56 AM
Wow! She is someone to look up to

How wonderful about the flag!

You must all be so proud and excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deafjeff
01-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Wow! Congratulations!!!!

We will be seeing the touch bearer in Casrphilly also!

Do send us photo!!

Sam
05-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Thank you guys for your kind comments. She really is amazing and she is adored by all of us. I'll pass your comments on to her. If any of you see me Sam Davies on face book you will see her there.

uscwest
05-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Thank you guys for your kind comments. She really is amazing and she is adored by all of us. I'll pass your comments on to her. If any of you see me Sam Davies on face book you will see her there.

Can't seem to find you on FB.

Skywatcher
05-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Awesome :D we want pics , some of don't 'Facebook' I'm afraid, haven't got enough friends to bother :lol:

Sam
06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Can't seem to find you on FB.

I am there have you tried Sam Davies in North Wales or Chester? :wiggle:

Wendy
06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I am there have you tried Sam Davies in North Wales or Chester? :wiggle:

I found you :D

Sam
27-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Re: Proud Aunty.

I just wanted to give you all the update of my lovely niece, today was the day she carried the Olympic torch in Swansea.

It was fantastic and very emotional for all the family. After getting up at 5.30am the whole Davies Clan, mum, aunties, uncles, grandparents, great aunties, great uncles and cousins all arrived at Sketty Road in Swansea waiting to see our lovely Amy Claire and her dad. The weather was glorious and it was very warming to see teachers, school friends, neighbours and carers turning out to also show their support.

After the Olympic bus and sponsors did their bit in the distance we could see her coming up the hill in her wheelchair. In true Davies style we all started shouting out her name. At first she looked a bit embarrassed, but then the other people in the crowds who didn't even know her, started calling out to her and that point she started to shine. I never thought it could be so emotional but we were all crying. After the flame was exchanged she was whisked away in the Olympic bus to speak to the press before being brought home.

Afterwards we all gathered at the house for bacon sandwiches and bucks fizz, (oh yes we know how to live the high life), waiting for Amy and her dad to come home. It was a great morning but it was finished off by an extra surprise.

Amy wanted to keep the torch and she had been saving up the 280 to buy it. Although she isn't well enough to go to school full time she has a very strong relationship with her school and school friends. It's not unheard of her mum having to make tea for 20 odd kids sat in her living room. Anyway her best friend secretly started a collection at school and more than the 280 was given by both friends and teachers. The money was presented to her when she got home.

That just about finished us all off. I will download some pictures but in the meantime I do have a few on my facebook page if anybody wants to have a look. :love2:

Britchick
27-05-2012, 05:29 PM
That is just magical Sam! I'm not surprised it finished you off, can't wait to see the pics :happybounce:

Sam
27-05-2012, 05:43 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/56ad8be8-6838-b9c9.jpg11541.vB11542.vB11543.vB11544.vB

Sam
27-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Some how ended up putting two of all the torches but never mind. You can see my two little people holding it, it shows you how big it is.

uscwest
27-05-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm sure you were all very proud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wendy
27-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Oh Sam, that it just so wonderful, what lovely friends she has :hug2: This is something she will never forget and will be with her always and all of the family will be able to remember and treasure this day forever :hug2:

Thank you so much for sharing the photos and telling us about the day :hug2: