View Full Version : Is Disney Quietly Raising Room rates?

02-04-2012, 10:23 AM
In what is a promising sign for the health of Orlando's tourism industry though maybe not so great a thing for tourists planning trips hotel rates at Walt Disney World continue to trend up.

A survey of prices last weekend at the giant resort's company hotels found prices were up from a year ago in every category of room.

"Prices are higher year-over-year and we think, combined with fewer promotions, will be a big contributor to Walt Disney Co.'s parks results in fiscal 2012," analysts for UBS Investment Research, which conducted the survey, wrote in a note to investors.

Out of eight hotels categorized as "deluxe," all eight had rooms available over the weekend, compared with seven on the same weekend last year. But the 12-week average of room prices was up 6 percent from 2011.

Availability was the same as a year ago in Disney's moderately priced hotels, but rates were up 4 percent. There was slightly more availability this year in "value"-priced hotels, where rates were up 5 percent.

Have you noticed any increase in the prices you paid last year?

02-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Well when comparing with travel agents I would say 6% was about right, I guess they could say they are making improvements though, free wifi and fridges in all resort rooms.

02-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh yes rates are higher

02-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Can't comment on room rates but an acquaintance of mine just told me that he's paying $400 for the same rental car he paid $130 for last year. (Same time frame too).

03-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Wow, that's a huge increase!