PDA

View Full Version : EASTER TRADITIONS

robertcraig
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Does anybody have any easter traditions

Britchick
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Mmmm eat Easter eggs and hot cross bunnies, usually we spend the weekend doing the garden or some DIY in the house. this Easter Jon will be putting new flooring down in the family bathroom. We're not religious in this house I'm afraid.

Tink
07-04-2012, 05:34 PM
When a child in my Mother's home:

Palm Sunday saw the start of "festivities" in that the eggs were colored by then, and visitors would come by after Mass. There was a game that was played then that involved seeing who would crack their egg against the other... long story. We'd make crosses out of the palms and wear them on our dresses (or shirts) and some would go behind the crucifix and the framed painting of JC.

The week leading to Easter was quite solemn featuring several visits to church for variations of mass, and sitting silently from 12-3 on Good Friday (either in the church itself, or at home).

Easter Sunday saw Easter Baskets and the longest Mass of the year! Mama had been cooking for days and she made Easter cookies and Easter Bread that had whole eggs in the shell embedded in it. Company came, dinner was cooked, too much candy was eaten.

We always had new outfits complete with hats, gloves, purses and shoes. My brother had a new suit, shoes, etc. We were always terribly disappointed when it was too cold and we had to wear our "old" winter coats over our Easter finery.

We had two weeks off school back then. Eeesh.

Now? Well, eggs still get colored, baskets still get made, dinner is still special. No new Easter outfits any more, but company still comes for dinner. Oh, and no two weeks off either. :(

Mama made an Italian (Sicilian) dessert called cassata. I've got the recipe and I make it, but not this year. :sigh:

Sister is coming to dinner, and we'll have a small basket for the boy... are still trying to decide whether we'll color eggs or not. The boy hasn't mentioned it, so we are kind of waffling...

Kate
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Not really, we arent religious in this house either im afraid. We do plenty of chocolate though and have a nice roast for sunday dinner - lamb this year.
This year will be a bit quieter than usual, i dont have a car so no visiting, but myself and dd arent well so will just be chilling out rather than running around seeing everyone

Britchick
07-04-2012, 08:09 PM
hope you feel better soon Kate :hug2:

Wendy
08-04-2012, 11:28 AM
We don't do anything either, the only difference is we have turkey instead of beef for the Sunday roast.

Tinkfan
09-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Our Easter was much like Tinks with only small variables, we had a bunny cake or angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream. We often spent Easter in Pennsylvania with our family and would have to eat 2 dinners then! However the masses on Good Friday and the vigil on Easter Sunday were the same!( I went to the vigil with my grandmother while my parents went out with close friends actually!!!!:nono:) Then easter sunday mass. chocolate and ham or a fresh ham.Colored eggs, HUGE filled eggs from Williams candy shop , Jordan crackers ahhhh....... New clothes, new shoes that hurt and the dreaded hat.:happybounce: