PDA

View Full Version : Virgin premium economy

Clarkkent
06-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Has anyone flown with Virgin in their premium economy class? Is it worth the price to upgrade? DH is giving me puppy eyes (his own, not some unfortunate recently blinded pooch) in readiness for our trip in Sept.

Cheers

Stephen :wiggle:

Deafjeff
06-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Look at my eyes dear.....

Anyway what would you recommend upgrading for outbound or return?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jlx2fp

keith
06-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Has anyone flown with Virgin in their premium economy class? Is it worth the price to upgrade? DH is giving me puppy eyes (his own, not some unfortunate recently blinded pooch) in readiness for our trip in Sept.

Oh gosh where to start :)

It it *WORTH* the difference in price? Personally I don't think so no. You get a bit more room, champagne when you board, different but not really much better food :/ you MAY get off first and your bags may be off first too.

So WORTH it? Nah, but is it good to do? yeah absolutely :lol: economy is sooooo basic nowadays. The room is JUST enough, the food is awful etc. Premium economy feels more relaxed and you do arrive in a better frame of mind IMHO.

Not helping am I? :D my line in the sand is, if you have the spare cash and you wouldn't be forgoing anything else on hols in order to do premium, then it's worth doing but if you start thinking well with the extra money I could buy XYZ, then put up with economy, have a sleep, and use the money for something more permanent or fun :)

Deafjeff
06-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Mmmmhhh thanks for the info...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lbv5yv

keith
06-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Look at my eyes dear.....

Anyway what would you recommend upgrading for outbound or return?

Welcome to the most awful choice!

Both ways is best so you dont have to decide :lol:

outbound is great, it's exciting and really adds to the yayayayay holiday feeling! If you're anything like me, you're awake most of, or all of, the way anyway so you can make the most of being in premium.

On the other side, return you may be feeling a bit sad and premium is a bit of a lift, plus it's far easy to sleep in premium BUT you're not then really awake to enjoy it all. HMMM!

(I usually choose outbound if we do it at all since nothing is going to cheer me up on the way back so I may as well just be in economy)

Deafjeff
06-04-2012, 08:22 PM
We may pop into our travel agent tomorrow :yes: and find out how much to upgrade....

Darling, look at my eyes.....

Esmeralda
06-04-2012, 08:52 PM
I would say yes it IS worth it... I did it once and never looked back... after 8 hours in the next class you will be glad you did. Open that curtain when you land and see all the other people cramped and squished like sardines. I always save up and go the extra mile.

One tip... if anyone is disabled in your family, when you hand your passports over at check in you can *request* the bulkhead seats... you may not get them but they are generally reserved for disabled or babies cos that's where the baby cots go. There is a bit more leg room there.. we always ask and we have been lucky so far.

Oh and your luggage will not come off first... I should know... mine never has! I just pay for the leg room.

Wendy
06-04-2012, 08:56 PM
I would pay the difference :yes: Chris is 6ft 2" so it gives him a little more leg room even if the person in front reclines - I won't get started on whether they should or shouldn't :lol:

I personally feel you get a better service in PE, we've always found them less hassled and busy and so they aren't rushed.

The other thing that is nice is if you go on the 747 you are up in the bubble and it's a small cabin which is much quieter.

As Keith said your cases are normally off first and you get off the flight quicker.

If I could only go one way I think I would choose to come home as it's quieter and the seats are more comfortable.

Britchick
06-04-2012, 11:08 PM
If you can afford it and it won't take the money from elsewhere then do it! Anyway I haven't forgiven you for not letting Jeff buy Cath Kidson stuff! So I think you should do it!:taunt:

Esmeralda
06-04-2012, 11:31 PM
I would pay the difference :yes: Chris is 6ft 2" so it gives him a little more leg room even if the person in front reclines - I won't get started on whether they should or shouldn't :lol:

I personally feel you get a better service in PE, we've always found them less hassled and busy and so they aren't rushed.

The other thing that is nice is if you go on the 747 you are up in the bubble and it's a small cabin which is much quieter.

As Keith said your cases are normally off first and you get off the flight quicker.

If I could only go one way I think I would choose to come home as it's quieter and the seats are more comfortable.

What she said. If I could only do it one way then on the way back as it's an overnighter and you can get a reasonable bit of shuteye... hopefully.

Isafari
07-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Hmm..in my opinion it's not worth the extra 's. Although our only experience with PE was filled with :thumbsdown: moments from finding out I didn't have an air vent, to the seatback tv not working to.......40 minutes into the flight being sprayed to soaking point with beer!!!!

Deafjeff
07-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Hmm..in my opinion it's not worth the extra 's. Although our only experience with PE was filled with :thumbsdown: moments from finding out I didn't have an air vent, to the seatback tv not working to.......40 minutes into the flight being sprayed to soaking point with beer!!!!

Not good!

Our travel agent could not upgrade us until 30 days before due to some silly red tape blah blah

:thumbsdown:

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xg5rey

Wendy
07-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Not good!

Our travel agent could not upgrade us until 30 days before due to some silly red tape blah blah

:thumbsdown:

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xg5rey

Oh that's a shame, try calling the flying club and see if they can help you. I'm not sure that they will, but it's worth a try.

It seems a bit strange that they can't find out prices or book it for you :unsure:

uscwest
07-04-2012, 12:30 PM
We've not flow with Virgin but when we went to the UK in 2007 we paid for Premium Economy on BA. On the way over they upgraded us to World Club. On the way home, no upgrade and we were less than impressed by PE.

Esmeralda
07-04-2012, 12:56 PM
We've not flow with Virgin but when we went to the UK in 2007 we paid for Premium Economy on BA. On the way over they upgraded us to World Club. On the way home, no upgrade and we were less than impressed by PE.

I don't think you can compare two different airlines to be fair.

Wendy
07-04-2012, 01:23 PM
BA's PE is nothing like Virgin Atlantic's PE.

I think BA's PE is in between economy and and VA's PE.

Deafjeff
07-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Oh that's a shame, try calling the flying club and see if they can help you. I'm not sure that they will, but it's worth a try.

It seems a bit strange that they can't find out prices or book it for you :unsure:

Will give them a call this afternoon :yes:

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4zbptu

Deafjeff
07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Sigh they can't help (!) had to ask our travel agent and they can't do anything until 30 days before (!)

So it doesn't look good at all :thumbsdown:

Slowhand
07-04-2012, 02:54 PM
If the plane is a 747, then at check in ask if seats on row 75 are available.
This is the emergency exit seat row upstairs in the "bubble" which is only assigned at check in, but it gives you oodles of leg room....in fact you would have to leave your seat and walk to row 74....making it ideal for a nap on the return journey. :yes:

Deafjeff
07-04-2012, 02:56 PM
If the plane is a 747, then at check in ask if seats on row 75 are available.
This is the emergency exit seat row upstairs in the "bubble" which is only assigned at check in, but it gives you oodles of leg room....in fact you would have to leave your seat and walk to row 74....making it ideal for a nap on the return journey. :yes:

Ooohh may try that!

Kate
07-04-2012, 05:35 PM
I upgraded us to PE for our flight home after we got married (so it was 2005), I worse a vest top that said "just married" on it in the hope we would get upgraded to UC but no such luck!
It was nice, we were upstairs on a 747 and the extra leg room made such a difference to dh as he is 6ft 2in. The food was ok and the service was ok, it was so much easier to try and sleep so id definately say if you are going to do it then do it for the night flight on your way home.
That said, unless we suddenly became rich overnight i wouldnt pay to do it again - it was a wedding treat, back then it was about 500 to upgrade to PE and its not something i would pay that amount of money on again!

uscwest
07-04-2012, 08:14 PM
I remember when the bubble on a 747 was a first class/upper class lounge. I flew with BA one time many years ago and was seated down stairs. After the pilot turned off the seat belt sign we were invited to go up to the lounge. The flight attendants prepared our first drink for us and then showed us the bar where they had full size bottles of liquor and told us to help ourselves. They came and got us when dinner was ready.

Suebeattie
09-04-2012, 06:13 AM
If you're not able to upgrade to premium economy I would say upgrade to the emergency exit seats.
With virgin the last time we flew with them you pay 50 each and are able to get the exit seats. Because they have to see that you are physically able to help in an emergency these seats aren't assigned until check in. I always made sure we were at the airport close to when check in opened so we could get these seats.
On our way home from Washington DC once because we had paid for exit seats and they run out of room in economy they upgraded us to premium economy.
Personally I'm not sure if premium economy is really worth the money, ok so the seats are a little wider and you get a bit more leg room but for a fraction of the cost you can get the leg room on exit seats.
If I had the money available I would upgrade the seat coming home to upper class as its a night flight and I suffer terribly with jet lag.
:wiggle:

keith
09-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Weird how everyone has different experiences!

On our last flight the lady behind the counter said oooo we have exit seats available, you get the one by the window free and just have to pay 50 for the one next to it. LOADS more space etc.

So we did it. Well, I soon found why the first seat was free, the emergency exit door and all its associated bits comes so far into the plane that given I'm reasonably tall, I couldn't even sit in the seat without pulling my legs up. DW was slightly better but hardly comfortable.

Perhaps on some planes the doors don't protrude so far in or perhaps not all the exit rows are the same but I'd never ever sit there again not even if it was free!

Wendy
09-04-2012, 09:30 AM
The emergency seats in the bubble don't suffer the problem of the protruding door.

I know what you mean though, I've been stuck in that seat in economy, it was before they started charging, so it was quite a while ago. We went for the aisle and middle seat after that which are slightly better.