PDA

View Full Version : changing luggage weights

Britchick
15-04-2012, 01:30 PM
not so long ago the main carriers luggage allowance was 2 suitcases weighing up to 32KG, did you use all of this allowance? i know we did and we still worried about going over the limit!!! lord only knows why we did!! i now try and take as least as possible to maximise what i can bring back. I do intend in December to buy at least one extra bags worth of luggage to bring back with us.

keith
15-04-2012, 02:03 PM
We never came anywhere close to 2*32. Usually only one case each and even then neither was 32k :lol:

However, the 1 case of 23KG is another matter. Just packing two/three weeks of clothes etc. stresses that limit and let's not talk about a 6KG carry on limit when I have a laptop and a camera :/

So for us they've gone from Wayyyy more than we need to less than we need :( all whilst the price has been going up.

Britchick
15-04-2012, 02:36 PM
does virgin have a 6KG limit on hand luggage? BA's rule is if you can lift it into an overhead locker then it's ok...may need to re think that when Caitlin and I go without Jon :unsure:

keith
15-04-2012, 02:41 PM
does virgin have a 6KG limit on hand luggage? BA's rule is if you can lift it into an overhead locker then it's ok...may need to re think that when Caitlin and I go without Jon :unsure:

in economy/premium (upper has a better allowance)
Maximum size
23 x 36 x 56 cm (thatís approx. 9 x 14 x 22 inches)
Maximum weight
6kg (13 lb)

Whether they check it or not is down to the agent at the desk. MOST of the time they don't unless it looks large/heavy but you get the odd jobsworth that will :thumbsdown:

Dawn
15-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Last trip we took 2 bags between 3 of us and the heaviest going out was 14kg. :thumbsup:

keith
15-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Last trip we took 2 bags between 3 of us and the heaviest going out was 14kg. :thumbsup:

ok, now that's impressive :worship:

Isafari
15-04-2012, 04:09 PM
our first couple of trips we did use two cases each but our excuse is that it was December and we had to pack for summer and winter.
Now, we find it easy to pack for a summer holiday within the weight limit but do struggle for the winter trips.
We have the same problem as Keith wanting to take a camera/accessories and laptop as carry on luggage, it just about hits the 6kg for me and goes over for DH.

Kate
15-04-2012, 04:14 PM
We had 1 suitcase each and i think that each one was between 14-16kg. I only packed 1 weeks worth of clothes, knew id end up doing washing at some point anyway so if i only took enough clothes for 1wk id have more room for things that we bought!

Britchick
15-04-2012, 04:27 PM
our first couple of trips we did use two cases each but our excuse is that it was December and we had to pack for summer and winter.

that's what i'm worried about for December! lol I think i'll go for layers and Craghopper trousers that you can zip off to either 3/4 length or shorts

daveann
15-04-2012, 04:39 PM
for our up coming new york and canada trip we have 2 23kg EACH :yes: im gonna go wild :) mind you i havent got on the plane yet :(

Wendy
15-04-2012, 04:52 PM
that's what i'm worried about for December! lol I think i'll go for layers and Craghopper trousers that you can zip off to either 3/4 length or shorts

You should be fine with that in early December, we found that we needed a jumper or light fleece for the evenings but during the days we were mostly in shorts during the day. I sometimes needed a cardi in the mornings if we were out and about very early.

uscwest
15-04-2012, 06:57 PM
On the domestic trip that I took recently to AZ I had two large bags, one of which was slightly over 23KG going out but they didn't charge me. They never checked my carry on and I had two computers (mine, and my government one), an ipad, and my medical equipment. Heaven forbid that I have to make an overseas trip.