PDA

View Full Version : Am very cross with myself!!

Kate
17-04-2012, 10:17 AM
4 weeks ago my car broke down, dd was in the car with me and we were on our way home from school when smoke started pouring - and i mean pouring - out from under the bonnet. It frightened me to death - moreso because my little girl was with me.
So the car has been sat out the front for a long time. The part was ordered and put in, something else went wrong so that part was ordered and put in. Alot of oil and other stuff was spilt under the bonnet.
Anyway, this morning i took dd to school in the car for the first time in 4 weeks, and i smelt a smell that i recognised and there was smoke again! I phoned the mechanic and he said its fine - everythings ok its just the stuff being spilt thats getting hot and thats causing the smoke, so i drove the car home and let it sit on the drive running.

Now this is why im cross with myself. Im really scared to drive it :sigh: There was so much smoke last time that it scared me to death, i really thought something bad was going to happen. Even though its all fixed my heart starts pounding like mad when i think of driving it. Im so cross - this is not what im like!!!!

MystikPiglit
17-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Don't be cross with yourself. :hug2:
It's an understandable reaction when you have the safety of your DD to think about. I think we go into protective mode overdrive where our children are concerned. I was always much more wary when the children were in the car with me.
Maybe you could get the mechanic to give it a quick test run to assure you that it is fixed now. :hug2:

Mari
17-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I would also be very scared, especially if I had the girls in the car

Its a normal reaction for a mother Kate :)

If you really dont want to drive it anymore, what options do you have? Can you drive your husband's car and he take yours? can you sell it and buy another one? can you walk to school or use public transportation?

Kate
17-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Thank you both :hug2: have given myself a talking to :lol: we only have the 1 car, selling it isnt an option as we've only just paid alot of money to have work done on it.
I will be ok in the morning - will have to be really!

Wendy
17-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Oh Kate :hug2: it is completely natural to feel that way.

Try taking the car out on your own, even if it's just round the block, you were more upset and anxious because your little one was in the car :hug2:

Please try not to worry too much, you will be fine :hug2:

Kate
18-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks Wendy :hug2:

I let it run outside for about 1/2 hour to try and get rid of the smoke, which seemed to work - no smell and no smoke, hurray! I took dd to school in it this morning and it was fine, on the way home i noticed more smoke wafting by and i really started to panic - my heart was beating like mad, then i realised it was just coming from the exhaust of the car infront! :lol: Seems its going to take me a bit longer yet to get my confidence back in it!!

Wendy
18-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Good for you driving again today :hug2:

Chris said last night, it is probably oil that has dropped onto the exhaust manifold or engine block, so that was what the smoke would have been, the heat was just burning it off :hug2:

You'll be fine, you've taken the biggest step, you drove the car :)

Kate
18-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Chris said last night, it is probably oil that has dropped onto the exhaust manifold or engine block, so that was what the smoke would have been, the heat was just burning it off :hug2:

:yes: thats what it was, i called my friend (my mechanic) and he said it was that - nothing dangerous at all and i kept trying to tell myself that - but its not that easy when you can see smoke and smell burning!! :lol:

MystikPiglit
18-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Well done, Kate. We're proud of you. :hug2:

Kate
18-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Thank you :hug2: