PDA

View Full Version : 19 kids and counting

Kate
18-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Does anyone else watch this? I cant believe these people have so many children! :jawdrop:

Wendy
18-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm not watching it, but 19 children :bugeye:

Kate
18-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Since this programme she fell pregnant again but sadly had a miscarriage at 18wks but on their website they are now known as "20 kids and counting".

They believe that how many children they have is up to god. She must be exhausted - i know i am with 1!!

Tink
19-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Are you talking about the Duggars?

The last live birth child has serious health issues (and then there is the lost baby, the last pregnancy). At what point does it all become irresponsible?

It's not like they are independently wealthy. What sort of life do the children have, since from some reports it's the children who look after one another.

To each their own meaning in life and purpose, but if you are going to hold yourself out to the public, then I suppose you should be ready for all sorts of opinions on your life, whether they be fully supportive or not.

foreverducky
19-04-2012, 09:54 AM
What sort of life do the children have, since from some reports it's the children who look after one another.

:yeahthat:

Since I can't say anything nice.....:tape:

Kate
19-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Yes thats them :yes:

Surely at some point they have to stop?! And there are times of the month where you cant get pregnant anyway - maybe date watching might be an idea!

Josie is the one they are showing on the programme at the moment, she has just gone home and needs oxygen to breath. I cant imagine how much money is must be to feed a family that large just for a week!

Tink
19-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I don't pretend to know much about them, to be honest but I do think that the reason they do the television bit is for the money, as they'd not be able to earn enough to keep the children clothed and fed.

Rather like that Kate woman with the eight children and escapee husband? TV is the means of support.

Again, I sincerely support anyone's decision to be who and what they are or want to be, but it doesn't stop me from raising that mental eyebrow at some choices.

Physically, her body has to be worn out. I think the last pregnancy ending in miscarriage kind of points to the idea that they should stop now.

Kate
19-04-2012, 10:45 AM
I Rather like that Kate woman with the eight children and escapee husband? TV is the means of support.

I like that programme! Their children were conceived through ivf, the Duggars are all natural.

What must they think when that little + sign comes up on the test each time?

Im a bit confused by the whole thing to be honest!

Mari
19-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I dont really know much, but I do think 19 children is irresponsible,... there just arent enough hours in the day to give QUALITY time to 19 kids...Im guessing the older kids are responsible for the younger ones, which I think isnt fair at all...

Kate
19-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I havent watched that many of the episodes, but from what ive seen they all kind of chip in with everything but id imagine the older kids definately have alot of responsibility. None of them seem to complain though

mainecoon lover
20-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I have watched a few of these and the older children tend to do everything. I do not think this is fair on them at all, they should be able to enjoy their youth. I think the pair of them are totally irresponsible :thumbsdown:. I see Kate plus 8 has now finished. I do get Kate's strictness on routine as I hate mine being broken with Beth.

Johnie
21-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Personally, I would never have that many children. I had only one. I was able to provide well for her. I could probably have had a second and been fine but that didn't happen. I can't even imagine having more than 2. The world is just designed for a family of 4. Most hotels and restaurants are that way.

The Duggars are an odd bunch. They have the eldest children patenting the smaller ones. I don't think that's fair to the children.

Beccaberry
23-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Agree with all the comments thusfar in the thread, but I do find it an interesting commentary on....whatever....that the one child who is now grown and married shares the same opinion on having children as the parents do. In the church I grew up in, there was a family with the same beliefs as the Duggars. They believed that the number of children they were given was determined by (and only by) God. I do recall her saying once, though, "Yes, I leave it up to Him to decide, but that doesn't mean I'm not sometimes genuinely relieved when the test comes back negative."

People are interesting.

uscwest
23-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I grew up in a Catholic family. I have an Uncle (now deceased) and Aunt who had 7 children and planned to keep going until a heart attack brought that part of their life to an end. My uncle just passed away a year and a half ago. They raised those 7 (4 boys, 3 girls) in a house with one bathroom. And all 7 of them are wonderful. I know this isn't 19 but it just shows that it can be done.