PDA

View Full Version : Dining advice

lozzy
03-05-2012, 08:21 PM
A friend of mine is planning her very first trip to Disney, she is travelling as a group of ten and is currently looking at staying on site, she want to take advantage of the dining plan ( deluxe) but is unsure how it works.
would she still need to make reservations for dining or can she just walk in to the resturant?

Britchick
03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
she would need to make reservations and with a party of 10 i would say she needs to be making them on the day they become available i.e. 180 days out.

lozzy
03-05-2012, 08:58 PM
she would need to make reservations and with a party of 10 i would say she needs to be making them on the day they become available i.e. 180 days out.
Would this just be for restaurants asking for reservations to be made, or all?

Britchick
03-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Would this just be for restaurants asking for reservations to be made, or all?

not sure what you mean :sorry:

she would need to make reservations for all disney table service restaurants

lozzy
03-05-2012, 09:04 PM
That does answer my question,

I have also noticed that some places don't except the dining plan.

Britchick
03-05-2012, 09:06 PM
That does answer my question,

I have also noticed that some places don't except the dining plan.

not many though, i wonder if we have a list. :unsure:

Mari
03-05-2012, 09:22 PM
you need ADRs for all restaurants, specially if she's going during the high season

Also, in parties of 6 or more, an 18% gratuity is automatically added

We found most restaurants pretty accomodating to our party of 8, and never had trouble finding big enough tables for all of us :)

Wendy
04-05-2012, 09:55 AM
As the others have said she will need to make reservations at all Table Service restaurants. At Counter Service it's a case of turn up and try to find a large enough table unfortunately. There shouldn't be a problem with finding somewhere for a large party, they will just move tables together if they don't have one large enough :yes:

If it was me,I would be on the phone making reservations as soon as I was able, especially for the popular restaurants. I would think next year it will be virtually impossible to get a reservation for the Be Our Guest restaurant unless you make a reservation on the day it becomes available.

The restaurants that are included for 2012 and some information on the Deluxe Dining Plan can be found here (http://wdisneysecrets.com/images/stories/Wendy/PDF_documents/2012%20deluxe%20dining%20plan.pdf)

Hope it helps.

lozzy
04-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys.
i have been passing all the information on to my friend, I think she is a little put of about having to pre book to eat,
i also think as it is her first time going that she will find it all a little to much.

uscwest
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys.
i have been passing all the information on to my friend, I think she is a little put of about having to pre book to eat,
i also think as it is her first time going that she will find it all a little to much.

Thank goodness she has a friend like you Lozzy to fill her in on this stuff. Can you imagine just showing up, being on the Deluxe plan and then not being able to find a place to eat? :cry2::eek:

lozzy
04-05-2012, 10:29 AM
The guy at our local virgin store said that today.
He was very shocked at the amount of knowledge I had regarding Florida, he even joked about me getting a job with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lozzy
04-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Another question

Would using the dining plan relying on Disney transport cause any issues, it's just they don't want a car.

Britchick
04-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Well as long as they leave enough time to travel they will be fine, or maybe a combo of bus there, cab back? I would allow 90 minutes for resort to resort as you have to go to a park or DTD to change busses. Or you can plan so you go straight from the parks to the restaurant at resorts? It is a minefield really and would hate to be starting from scratch! Why don't you invite your friend here Lozzy so she can get a feel for what's what

lozzy
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Well as long as they leave enough time to travel they will be fine, or maybe a combo of bus there, cab back? I would allow 90 minutes for resort to resort as you have to go to a park or DTD to change busses. Or you can plan so you go straight from the parks to the restaurant at resorts? It is a minefield really and would hate to be starting from scratch! Why don't you invite your friend here Lozzy so she can get a feel for what's what

Thanks,
I have told her about secrets.

Tink
05-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Getting transport between Disney resorts is challenging. They would have to be quite comfortable with knowing where the best transfer point would be. Yes, DTD, TTC, and parks are the logical choices, but which is best for what location.

If they don't know that taking a bus to DTD for transport transfer to a resort is best done by going directly to the Marketplace bus area, then they could waste a serious amount of time.

If they don't know which park is closest to a resort restaurant they can actually end up going in circles!

Cabs get very expensive, so the best thing to do is learn the Disney transport system and travel for free. :yes: However, that takes information and time.

If they joined here and then gave their ADRs, we could tell them the easiest route to take for each one. :yes:

You are a good friend, Lozzy!

Tinkfan
07-05-2012, 03:41 AM
We never had any real problem with transport and we use the DP all the time. When are they going and where are they staying? Preplaning can be fun especially for beginners. The first time without a plan can find you eating a whole lot of junk food and buying water for a snack!!!!!:yes:

RollTyde
08-05-2012, 01:34 AM
We actually plan our entire trip around our eating schedule. This may seem crazy, but it helps us to decided where we will be eating and what parks we'll be attending that day. It also doesn't hurt that my sister and I are both super planning kind o people. We make out ADR's the morning of the 180th day, and are good to go.

Deafjeff
08-05-2012, 05:11 AM
We actually plan our entire trip around our eating schedule. This may seem crazy, but it helps us to decided where we will be eating and what parks we'll be attending that day. It also doesn't hurt that my sister and I are both super planning kind o people. We make out ADR's the morning of the 180th day, and are good to go.

We are the same :yes:

Sometime we split a day with two parks visit normally the park in the afternoon is where we would be eating.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hi20bh

lozzy
08-05-2012, 06:16 AM

I've never used the dining plan but if I did I'd be like you, and this is what I've tried to explain to my friends and her family,

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dow0dd