PDA

View Full Version : Whats it like to live in orlando?

eeyoreguy
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Ive often wondered what it must be like to live 5 minutes from disney. Would you go as much or at all?

I asked a cab driver last time and he said he'd moved there 15 years ago and had only been to disney once

Tink
10-08-2008, 12:34 PM
We live about 15-20 minutes north of WDW. We have APs and go whenever the mood strikes. We've found it hard to get there as often as we would like this year, what with my new work, tons to do on the house at the weekend, and the lousy weather. :sigh;

Usually though, it's much nicer. Pop down for a stroll around the World Showcase, maybe a bite to eat at a counter service place. The DDP has spoiled the walk up at full service restaurants. :(

We love to take "our" little guy (four now!) to WDW when he is here visiting with us. :yes: We bought him an AP for Christmas, so it's an easy matter to head for the parks with him. He doesn't care a bit if it's raining! :lol:

We like the proximity, and the ability to leave it behind. We live in an area that is not saturated with Disney, so that makes it nice.

It's still a little odd to see Disney workers in costume in public places like grocery stores, post offices, etc. Disney used to not allow costumes off property, but relaxed the rule. I once saw a woman in an All Stars uniform in the grocery store. I smiled and said, "Oh! One of my favorite places!" She must have had a baaaaaaaaad day at work. Her response was a snappy, "Well it's NOT MINE!" :eek: :sorry:

It's handy to run down to DTD for a stroll and to pick up whatever you might need (gift, treasure, etc).

You come to think of WDW in a bit of a different light. It's not the "destination" any longer, it's the experience if that makes any sense? Also, with the ability to go whenever one pleases, it makes for a different level of familiarity. Sometimes I think I come across as a bit negative, because going so often allows me to see more of the less attractive bits of Disney. (Declining service, rude CMS, etc.). It's the old premise that the more you are there, the more you are going to see, you know?

All in all it's a pretty good place to live, but I did prefer living on the west coast of Florida. Then WDW was still a "destination" to get excited about and not simply a place to pop into when the mood struck. :yes:

PsychoAlice
10-08-2008, 06:35 PM
http://delswife-stories.blogspot.com/

She just moved from Maine to Florida in March...

beware of bugs...

mainecoon lover
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I often think it would be nice to live near so i can send dd and carers of to the parks for the day. It would be great to think dd was able to go and enjoy as much as everyone else and not just look on like she does here in the UK. Also the value for the money that the parks give you.

keith
10-08-2008, 07:44 PM
yeah I'd like it. I understand it would stop being so much of a destination but there's so much I'd like to explore plus having it there to go to when feeling a bit down

ukwdwnut
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM
id move to florida in a minute if i could. like tink id like to live on the gulf coast

Tink
10-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Having WDW at hand is an instant pick me up! :yes: It's guaranteed to put a smile on your face, even when it's a horrid day. A simple jaunt at DTD works pretty well too, especially at Christmas. :yes:

Didn't know DellsWife had moved from Maine!

PsychoAlice
10-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Didn't know DellsWife had moved from Maine!

Saco, Maine to be exact....

Tink
10-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Ugh. Palmetto bugs. :lipwobble: I keep a fierce can of bug spray on hand at ALL times. :yes: Plus, there are some evil spiders that can sneak in your house. You'll want a can for those too! :eek:

Not to mention the SNAKES! :eek: I just run. Seriously. This decrepit old body can MOVE at the sight of a Florida snake. I never stick around long enough to see if it's a poisonous one or not! :eek:

Oh, and the mosquitos (although no strangers to Maine) are absolutely mad with attacking. :eek: One of the reasons our pool is enclosed by a screen, is the mosquitos (the other is to keep the 'gators out). :yes:

PsychoAlice
10-08-2008, 11:23 PM
There are no poisonous snakes in Florida (from what I have read anyway)....never move out west Tink!

Tink
10-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Oh yes there are. :eek: There is the coral snake, the water moccasin, pygmy rattler, (other rattlers but I don't know for certain what type) to name those that I'm aware of. :eek:

PsychoAlice
10-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Ohh sorry (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/FL-GUIDE/Venomsnk.htm)

Tink
10-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Me too! :eek: :lol:

Jazmine
12-08-2008, 09:58 PM
My dream is to move to Florida i love the whole Amercian way of life if i win the lotto i`ll be on the 1st plane outa here :yes:
Jacqui ;)xxx

daveann
13-08-2008, 09:46 AM
reading this brought a tear to my eye it must be wonderful to get a mickey fix so easily. saying that we live by the beach and hardly ever have time to go down there which is a shame as its so beautiful :(

Isafari
13-08-2008, 09:59 AM
My dream is to move to Florida i love the whole Amercian way of life if i win the lotto i`ll be on the 1st plane outa here :yes:
Jacqui ;)xxx

My thoughts exactly :p015:

Jazmine
13-08-2008, 07:09 PM
If i win Di i`ll open a business and you can come out and work with me oh and Val too of course wow wouldnt that be something living and working in Florida :smiley4::yeaahaa:
Jacqui xxx

Isafari
13-08-2008, 07:34 PM
If i win Di i`ll open a business and you can come out and work with me oh and Val too of course wow wouldnt that be something living and working in Florida :smiley4::yeaahaa:
Jacqui xxx

Especially with you two yeah :shocked025::lol:
Would we get time off for good behaviour cos if not Val would be working 24/7

sazzledazzle
13-08-2008, 08:05 PM
When I lived out there I was working 6 days a week looking after holiday makers who had come to enjoy 'the destination' so it was a little different for me.
It was such a long time ago now though it's all so different there now.

We did get quite a few comps though and used to go on our days off but my favourite day out was cocoa beach for the day chilling out away from it all!

However I'd move back there in a heartbeat.:yes:

Tink
13-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Oh! Oh! Oh! Jazmine!! You could start a tea shop! :9: Proper tea and proper scones!!! (Not those disgusting hateful things with sugar on them or worse-GLAZE :eek: )! And you could sell teacups and pots, and little sandwiches.

You could do WDW lunch baskets! :yes: OH! That sounds like a wonderful idea!! Issy could be the hostess and Val could be the ermmmm the checker! :yes:

Me? I'd be the customer! :yes:

Ooooooh! Devon cream and real cheese! :yes: OHHHHHH!!! AND BACON!!! And black pudding!!

Oh please do it!!! It would be so wonderful to have a REAL place to have real UK food!!

OOOOOOOH!!!! AND HAGGIS!!! :9:

When do you open?

PsychoAlice
13-08-2008, 11:39 PM
AND HAGGIS!!!
Ewwww Do you know what that is made of???!?!??!:gy:

Tink
14-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Uh huh. :D

*Bambi-Belle*
14-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Iím not sure I would like to live in Orlando and so close to Disney.
I love the planning and the build up. Itís the one place where we are all together having fun without the pressures of everyday life. I love the fact that when we are there work canít call or DH isnít surgically attached to his mobile phone lol and our oldest DS (13 for our next trip) can have fun and be a child without his friends calling him uncool. Itís what we work hard for all year round and itís the memories we will look back on when the kids have grown. I donít think I would want it to become too familiar and possibly take it for granted.

I had haggis for my tea last night with neeps and tatties!!!!!! It was lovely lol:D

MarkE
15-08-2008, 08:48 AM
I'll be living there in about....

SEVEN - EIGHT YEARS!!

Wooooo!

piglet
19-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Especially with you two yeah :shocked025::lol:
Would we get time off for good behaviour cos if not Val would be working 24/7

Hey what's been going on with you two while I've been very busy working? Yep I'll come and live in Florida with you two and I think we should work for Disney. How does the 3 princesses sound to you two? ;);)

Tink
19-08-2008, 05:24 PM
More like the three Wyyrd Sisters

Isafari
19-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Hey what's been going on with you two while I've been very busy working? Yep I'll come and live in Florida with you two and I think we should work for Disney. How does the 3 princesses sound to you two? ;);)

I could be Cinderella .....you know where I'm going with this don't ya :lol:

More like the three Wyyrd Sisters

:dozey:

Tink
19-08-2008, 05:36 PM
:spring: Heh heh heh heh...