PDA

View Full Version : Apple Anonymous

Pages : [1] 2 3

catrancher
16-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Hello. My name is Tom and I'm an Appleholic. :crywave:

Seriously. Since there's so many of us that are Apple fans, I thought we might like to have our own "home" thread to where we can talk Apple stuff. Product reviews, questions, help, or just conversation.

So, go ahead. Join in if you'd like. If it works out and everybody likes it, we'll keep it and maybe sticky it. If, on the other hand, you'd rather keep everything as discrete threads, that's ok too. Just let me know.

Tom (:macwave:... maybe I need to make us name badges? :unsure:)

Britchick
16-05-2012, 04:07 PM
i think that's a good idea so we don't bore the non apple enthusiasts to death with lots of threads!

Watchinherskip
16-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Hello. My name is Tom and I'm an Appleholic. :crywave:

Tom (:macwave:... maybe I need to make us name badges? :unsure:)

Hi Tom.......

Now all I need is a 12 step program.:tongue:

catrancher
16-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi Tom.......

Hi Dan!

Don't think even a 12 step program would work for me. :unsure:
After all, one of my biggest goals is to someday attend the "Big Nerd Ranch" so I'm probably hopeless. :geekon:

Tom (:macwave:... wheee... yet another way to spend money!)

keith
16-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm not I could give it up anytime I want! I could! honest! I

ok :( I'm Keith and I'm an Appleholic

current inventory
2* mac pros
2* 27" imacs
2* macbook airs 13" (different generations)
2* macbook pro 15s (different generations)

ipad1,2 and 3

every ipod revision theyve made
every iphone revision they've made

apple tv on every tv in the house

This doesn't include the ones I've given away to family members etc.

I'm now eagerly awaiting the 15" macbook pro-air (whatever it's going to be called)

I've done the wait outside the apple store for hours in a queue for the latest gadget thing, I've spent all night trying to order online from the apple store and I've longed to attend a WWDConference ;( though that never looks likely to happen (Tom, if you or I win the lottery, I'm up for a pact that we'll meet there that very year ;-)

catrancher
16-05-2012, 05:18 PM

current inventory
2* mac pros
2* 27" imacs

ipad1,2 and 3

Wanna adopt me? :unsure:

Tom, if you or I win the lottery, I'm up for a pact that we'll meet there that very year ;-)

Done, done, done, and done! :yes:
What about the Big Nerd Ranch? Aaron's a really nice guy. We goin' there too? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... after all, it's right here in my local area. :D)

keith
16-05-2012, 05:24 PM
What about the Big Nerd Ranch? Aaron's a really nice guy. We goin' there too? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... after all, it's right here in my local area. :D)

It'd be rude not to! :yes: (didnt realise it was close to you Tom! VERY surprised you've resisted that one :)

Britchick
16-05-2012, 05:34 PM

current inventory
2* mac pros
2* 27" imacs

ipad1,2 and 3

I'm now eagerly awaiting the 15" macbook pro-air (whatever it's going to be called)

I've done the wait outside the apple store for hours in a queue for the latest gadget thing, I've spent all night trying to order online from the apple store and I've longed to attend a WWDConference ;( though that never looks likely to happen (Tom, if you or I win the lottery, I'm up for a pact that we'll meet there that very year ;-)

In my Profession you'd probably be called a hoarder ;)

catrancher
16-05-2012, 05:48 PM
didnt realise it was close to you Tom! VERY surprised you've resisted that one :)

Actually, the only reason I haven't is strictly one of cost. Even though it's in the local area, you really need to go stay there to get the full learning impact. And while it's not overwhelmingly expensive, it isn't cheap either. And my DW has other plans for that money. However, I haven't given up. If I can get a few things to work out, I may be able to manage it.

Sooner rather than later hopefully. :fingers:

Tom (:macwave:... suscribe to their weblog. Some really interesting bits in there.)

foreverducky
16-05-2012, 09:10 PM
:wave: I wan to join!

I only have an iMac, but I am a true convert.

When I can upgrade my phone next year, I'm going for the iPhone.

And well, I'm waiting to see what's offered in June! There could be an iPad or apple laptop in my future.

Oh, and I recently upgraded by older nano to the new 6th generation one.

josh.p.
16-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Umm.. :unsure: hello.

My name is Josh, and I've been an Apple Addict for over 5 years now.

Firstly it started off just with the iMac, but before I knew it I had an iPod touch, an iPod Nano, a Macbook, an iPhone, an apple TV, an iPad... the list just goes on and on.

I've managed to cut back a bit and I now just have the macbook, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, with 1000s of iPods lying about the house.

Johnie
17-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Hi my name is Johnie and I am an Apple addict :wave:

I am on my 3rd iPhone.

I am currently typing this on my Macbook Pro.

I can't seem to keep an iPad though :unsure:

OH! Apple products are doing amazing things in vocational rehab! We are using iPhone and the iTouch for clients to be able to keep and maintain job duties. We just tried out an iPad for a client who is a professional and needed help with case notes, etc to keep his job. I just got permission to purchase one for him. There are some awesome apps to help with anger, depression, anxiety, etc.

catrancher
17-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Welcome everyone. :hug2:

Thank you for sharing.

Remember, this thread is here for you. Post your questions, comments observations, wants and desires, hopes and fears about Apple products here. Keep in mind, you're among friends here. We're all hear to support you. It's really a terrible affliction and understanding and dealing with it requires all the help and support you can get. We're hear to give it to you.

Now, remember to come back often. And share. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... we should all now face west toward Cupertino and bow 3 times.)

Watchinherskip
17-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi my name is Johnie and I am an Apple addict :wave:

Hi Johnie.........(they do that at the meetings I am told:tongue:)

Johnie
17-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Lol I know! I've had to go to a few meetings (open of course) for school.

Johnie
17-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Oh and should I admit that I had NO idea why everything was set to Cupertino until Steve Jobs died? Probably not. Are you going to take my membership away?

catrancher
18-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Oh and should I admit that I had NO idea why everything was set to Cupertino until Steve Jobs died? Probably not. Are you going to take my membership away?

Of course not. You're still one of us. :yes:

However, I can't conceive of how you could have missed the references to Cupertino. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... It is Nivana after all. :worship:)

catrancher
18-05-2012, 12:19 PM

Oh... wait... just figured it out for you! :thumbsup:

Here 'ya go!

Mac Pro
iMac
Mac Mini
Macbook Pro
Macbook Air
iPad
iPhone
iPod Touch
iPod Nano
iPod Shuffle
iPod Classic
Apple TV

How's that? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... that'll set you back a couple of bucks. :shocked:)

Johnie
18-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Lol I'm secretly blonde sometimes

keith
20-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Still no firm news about my long-wanted 15" macbook pro/air ..... come on Tom, can't you phone them and tell them to get a move on??

catrancher
20-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Still no firm news about my long-wanted 15" macbook pro/air ..... come on Tom, can't you phone them and tell them to get a move on??

Patience Grasshopper. All will be revealed in due course. :lovemyputer:

Tom (:macwave:... no cosmic connection on this one...)

foreverducky
20-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I can't wait to see the new products! Time is totally dragging. :tapnails:

Deafjeff
21-05-2012, 06:08 AM
OH MY GOODNESS ME!

A 'proper' thread on apple products within Disney forum!

My name is Jeffrey George Brattan-Wilson and I am Disney and apple addicts.

We have these followings apple products.

Mac book pro 13'5
Two iPhone 4s
Apple tv
iMac 21"

I cannot wait for new pro/air.

Any idea how much it would cost?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4oktgp

Lisa1976
21-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Hey :) My names Lisa and I'm addicted to Apple :)

I currently own:

iMac
MacBook
iPhone
iPad
Nano

I would be lost with all of them!

Deafjeff
21-05-2012, 08:15 AM
OH MY GOODNESS ME!

A 'proper' thread on apple products within Disney forum!

My name is Jeffrey George Brattan-Wilson and I am Disney and apple addicts.

We have these followings apple products.

Mac book pro 13'5
Two iPhone 4s
Apple tv
iMac 21"

I cannot wait for new pro/air.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4oktgp

And two iPads! Forgot about them!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?e1ggbg

catrancher
21-05-2012, 10:33 AM

No clue yet Jeff. We'll just have to wait for June 11 to find out I guess. :shrug:

In the meantime, if you want to peek at what some of the uniformed pundits have to say, this rumor mill (http://www.pcworld.com/article/255611/new_macbook_pros_expected_a_wwdc_2012_forecast.htm l) is probably as good a place as any.

Tom (:macwave:... hmmm... 15" Macbook Pro, Retina display, Ivy Bridge processer, Thunderbolt, SSHD. Hmmm...)

MystikPiglit
21-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Can I be a junior member? :wave:I only have an iPhone, but I'm totally addicted to it. :yes:

I would love an iPad if ever I can afford one, but if anyone would like to treat me that would be great. :wink:

That being said, I have a question. I haven't upgraded from the 3GS because I don't like the newer iPhone shape. So, am I missing out on anything important, in the newer models, that would make it worth giving up my little treasured 3GS? :unsure:

Watchinherskip
21-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh..me...I have a question...does anyone know if you can add memory to an 8gig iPad to make it a 16 gig?

catrancher
21-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Can I be a junior member? :wave:I only have an iPhone, but I'm totally addicted to it. :yes:

Sure. :yes:

You sound sufficiently enthralled. :mental:

I have a question. I haven't upgraded from the 3GS because I don't like the newer iPhone shape. So, am I missing out on anything important, in the newer models, that would make it worth giving up my little treasured 3GS? :unsure:

I wouldn't think so. Your 3GS is compatible with IOS 5 so you've got all the goodness there. I can't think of much of anything that you'd "have" to have. Unless you just want to talk with Siri. :unsure:

Oh..me...I have a question...does anyone know if you can add memory to an 8gig iPad to make it a 16 gig?

Nope. Sorry Dan. It's a case of what you see is what you get.

Tom (:macwave:... hope this helps!)

MystikPiglit
21-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Tom. :)

Unless you just want to talk with Siri. :unsure:

Oh, no no no.....

catrancher
22-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Ok Appleholics.

Witness the tribute to Steve Jobs at the 2012 Webby Awards. :worship:

<iframe src='http://watch.webbyawards.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=21633901&width=800&height=448&property=webbyawards' width='800' height='448' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Tom (:macwave:... don't that just get your attention...)

Deafjeff
30-05-2012, 09:07 AM
The apple store is down what does this mean? :unsure:

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kaztuz

catrancher
30-05-2012, 11:19 AM
The apple store is down what does this mean? :unsure:

Odd... :unsure:

Usually that means they're getting a product release set to go. But there's been no indication of anything new coming out. Yet. Still a week and a half till WWDC.

I'm confused. :shrug:

Tom (:macwave:... watch that space...)

Deafjeff
30-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Odd... :unsure:

Usually that means they're getting a product release set to go. But there's been no indication of anything new coming out. Yet. Still a week and a half till WWDC.

I'm confused. :shrug:

Tom (:macwave:... watch that space...)

Me too :shrug:

Was hoping for something!

catrancher
30-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Store's open again.

But I don't see anything huge that's changed. :shrug:

Tom (:macwave:... it's a mystery...)

Deafjeff
30-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Store's open again.

But I don't see anything huge that's changed. :shrug:

Tom (:macwave:... it's a mystery...)

Likely to be prep for next week conference....

Have been tempted to buy MacBook air but decided it might be better to wait to see if they will re-design the pro line

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?24f0q1

keith
30-05-2012, 04:46 PM
definitely best to wait :yes:

I love my macbook air and that form factor seems to be the way forward but larger screen would be nice and perhaps some more power

Deafjeff
30-05-2012, 07:02 PM
definitely best to wait :yes:

I love my macbook air and that form factor seems to be the way forward but larger screen would be nice and perhaps some more power

Remind me what you got?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pwb5il

keith
30-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Remind me what you got?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pwb5il

I have the 13" MacBook air 250gb ssd 4gb and I have the same in the yr before version too

Both totally brill and I'll be sorry to sell them but I miss my 15" MacBook pro

Britchick
30-05-2012, 07:39 PM
i have a CD rom for my OU course that needs to be downloaded onto the hard drive to be used, it won't do it on iMac or mac book pro is there any way around this?

also any idea what program i need to download in order to use citrix on my iMac, it's for work. My work netbook is dire and when they broke it during an upgrade they put a new hard drive in it - i could have cried LOL

Deafjeff
30-05-2012, 07:42 PM
I have the 13" MacBook air 250gb ssd 4gb and I have the same in the yr before version too

Both totally brill and I'll be sorry to sell them but I miss my 15" MacBook pro

Oooohhh nice machine! I'm thinking of getting similar machine but will wait and see if I like the new mac book pro if not will get 13" 250g etc etc

How much are you planning to sell yours for?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ugikjs

Skywatcher
31-05-2012, 07:48 AM
We went baby shopping at the weekend and Thomas spent an hour in the apple store playing with Siri :lol:

can't believe haven't posted so far

macbook pro
iMac
apple TV
iPod classic
iPod nano
ipod touch x2
iPhone 4 x2
iPad1 x2
iPad 3

:unsure: think thats it

I want the 5 to be announced soon - lots of 'leaked' pictures about at the moment

josh.p.
01-06-2012, 08:26 AM
i have a CD rom for my OU course that needs to be downloaded onto the hard drive to be used, it won't do it on iMac or mac book pro is there any way around this?

also any idea what program i need to download in order to use citrix on my iMac, it's for work. My work netbook is dire and when they broke it during an upgrade they put a new hard drive in it - i could have cried LOL

You can download a mac version of citrix client if it is just desktop sharing you're trying to do

catrancher
01-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Sorry, didn't see this till today.

You should be able to open up the "Disk Utility" application in the Applications->Utilities folder. Insert your CD-ROM. Start "Disk Utility". On the left you should see a list of disks, volumes, and images on your machine. Click on the name of your CD-ROM image. Then, go to the file menu and choose New->Disk Image from XXXXX (XXXXX is the name of you CD-ROM image). After that, it should ask you where you want to put it. Give it a name and choose a place for it on your disk and it should copy the image. After it's done, you can quit Disk Utility and eject your CD-ROM. Now, anytime you want to use it, just double click and the .DMG file that was created and it'll mount just as if it was the CD-ROM.

More instructions here (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5841) under the section titled Create a disk image from a disk or folder.

Let us know if this works for you. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... there's always a way...)

Deafjeff
02-06-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm seriously thinking of buying new lap top (likely to be mac book air)

What the implication of buying it at Florida and bringing it back?

For example keyboard layout, apps store etc

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?djcf34

keith
02-06-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm seriously thinking of buying new lap top (likely to be mac book air)

What the implication of buying it at Florida and bringing it back?

For example keyboard layout, apps store etc

Well if you're thinking macbook air, PM me first ;-) but no real implication tbh! the end of the mains adapter would be a US plug but that's easy to cope with. I'd have to go check if we have a £ rather than a $ but no real problems, I've bought over there before.

Britchick
02-06-2012, 01:42 PM
thanks Tom and Josh, will try later and see what happens...

uscwest
02-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't know about Macs but PCs have a feature that allows you to select the language of your keyboard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

keith
02-06-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't know about Macs but PCs have a feature that allows you to select the language of your keyboard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

yeah the mac is the same, I just meant he may have to live with seeing a $ on the keyboard where he may expect £ to be

Deafjeff
02-06-2012, 04:33 PM
yeah the mac is the same, I just meant he may have to live with seeing a $ on the keyboard where he may expect £ to be

Fair enough...... May not need buy a lap top at Florida ho hum....

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ajczv5

foreverducky
06-06-2012, 10:38 AM
So, when is this new show thingy going to happen? Soon, right? :)

Deafjeff
06-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Next week :mental: :wiggle:

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ojjbp1

catrancher
06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
So, when is this new show thingy going to happen? Soon, right? :)

Right about....

11610.vB

The Keynote (where you hear about the good stuff) is on the 11th at 10:00AM PST.

Tom (:macwave:... keep watching...)

catrancher
06-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Do a lot of flying commercial? Wanna take your iPad along and be able to REALLY use it. Check this out:

Artic Flight (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/501583891/arctic-flight-ipad-stand-cover-fits-airline-tray-t)

This is a kickstarter project that's trying to get a specific funding level. Hope they make it. This is one of the best ideas I've seen for an iPad stand yet.

Tom (:macwave:... too bad it doesn't fit the iPad 1)

foreverducky
06-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I can't hardly wait! :excited:

foreverducky
11-06-2012, 10:20 AM
It starts today!

keith
11-06-2012, 10:37 AM
It starts today!

yep!

I think we'll see the first signs of what we'll get in ios 6 for sure but to be honest, what I'm reading isn't AMAZING. I was really thinking they'd do something about the relatively boring home screen of icons. Something more like windows live tiles or SOMETHING but it doesn't look that way.

It'd be cute if we got a fairly certain date for the iphone 5 but I guess they won't tell us.

Other than that, I realllllly want that smaller 15" pro that's been rumoured for ages

In the early days, apple used to broadcast the keynotes in realtime which was actually really fun, shame they stopped.

So, what websites does everyone use to watch apple updates?

catrancher
11-06-2012, 10:45 AM
So, what websites does everyone use to watch apple updates?

My choices are either:

MacWorld (http://www.macworld.com/article/1167098/live_update_wwdc_keynote.html)
ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/06/apple-wwdc-2012-live-blog-ios-6-mountain-lion-new-macbook-pro-and-air/)

Apple Insider used to carry it but I don't see where they're doing it this year. There's others but I like to stick with ones that I think might have the bandwidth to effectively blog the thing.

Tom (:macwave:... is it 1 PM PST yet?)

keith
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
yeah I've usually used appleinsider but macworld may be better

as you say these days it's about trying to get to a site with enough resources to cope

My choices are either:

MacWorld (http://www.macworld.com/article/1167098/live_update_wwdc_keynote.html)
ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/06/apple-wwdc-2012-live-blog-ios-6-mountain-lion-new-macbook-pro-and-air/)

Apple Insider used to carry it but I don't see where they're doing it this year. There's others but I like to stick with ones that I think might have the bandwidth to effectively blog the thing.

Tom (:macwave:... is it 1 PM PST yet?)

Wendy
11-06-2012, 12:11 PM
It'd be cute if we got a fairly certain date for the iphone 5 but I guess they won't tell us.

Chris is waiting for information on that as well :thud: you may have done it Keith :)

keith
11-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Im not sure its looking good for my smaller 15" macbook pro though :/ there's a lot of "same size as now but faster" talk going on :/

catrancher
11-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Ok kids,

Only an hour to go. Be sure to follow the live blog here (http://www.macworld.com/article/1167098/live_update_wwdc_keynote.html#tk.nl_newsalert_h_) at 10AM PST.

Tom (:macwave:... time passes... a small voice says "plugh". I reply, "xyzzy".)

keith
11-06-2012, 04:09 PM
everyone keep fingers crossed for some amazing new laptops

Watchinherskip
11-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I guess that will have to keep....as my iPad has me still hopping. Oh, that is when I can get my hands on it! DW was given a Sony netbook last year that gets little use, and DD has a MacBook Pro that get little use. My poor ol iPad bears the brunt. Now my DW mentioned last night that she might like her own???? :tongue:

catrancher
11-06-2012, 04:27 PM
everyone keep fingers crossed for some amazing new laptops

Interestingly, the rumblings I'm currently seeing are indicating the possibility of new Macbooks as opposed to Macbook Pro's. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave: guess we'll find out shortly...)

catrancher
11-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Now my DW mentioned last night that she might like her own???? :tongue:

Ha! Where have I heard that before. :unsure:

Specifically, "I want one" in a small, somewhat whiny voice.

Tom (:macwave:... bought her one too!)

catrancher
11-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Hmmm... this from ABC News:

Today Apple CEO Tim Cook will take the stage at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco. There he is expected to preview quite a bit of the tech giant's new products, including the next version of the iPhone operating system (iOS 6) and new Apple MacBook Pro and Air laptops.

Wonder if they know something all the other pundits don't? :shrug:

Tom (:macwave:... Macworld is on the air now if you're interested.)

keith
11-06-2012, 05:17 PM
"Today, we're announcing exciting changes in our notebook lineup, and major release of OS X and iOS. "

ooo

keith
11-06-2012, 05:20 PM
macbook air: New third-generation Core processors (aka Ivy Bridge). Depending on config, up to 2.0GHz of dual-core i7 speed. With Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz. Up to 8GB of 1600MHz memory. up to 512GB SSD

No big deal to me really, the existing ones are fast enough for me although 8GB and 512 are nice!

catrancher
11-06-2012, 05:23 PM
on the 15-inch quad-core i7. 1600MHz memory, and integrated graphics up to 60% faster. - $1499

Did I hear that correctly?

Tom (:macwave:... oh.. oh... oh....)

catrancher
11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Ahhh... that was the 13"

Tom (:macwave:... typing too fast to blog...)

keith
11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
"There's room on the side here..." A black-covered laptop has slid in.

holds breath...

Watchinherskip
11-06-2012, 05:26 PM
macbook air: New third-generation Core processors (aka Ivy Bridge). Depending on config, up to 2.0GHz of dual-core i7 speed. With Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz. Up to 8GB of 1600MHz memory. up to 512GB SSD

No big deal to me really, the existing ones are fast enough for me although 8GB and 512 are nice!

I read what you said but sort of feel like a dog listening to its owner....bla bla bla ...Fido....bla bla bla bla...WALK!!!:yes:

Keith I am such a dolt when dealing with all the tech stuff. You would never guess that I live in the tech world to some degree (planetarium is totally wired) but pay more attention to the application than to the hardwear.

Now I take it that the clock time is good?

keith
11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
New next-gen MacBook pro. 0.71 inches thin

woohooo!

can I place my order yet? please please

catrancher
11-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Hello, I'm the genie from Aladdin.

Your wish has been granted! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... want... lust... need...)

keith
11-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Hello, I'm the genie from Aladdin.

Your wish has been granted! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... want... lust... need...)

thank you oh genie..... now question is when can I have it and how do I order it.. online and wait for delivery or try and hope the apple store gets them quickly hmmmm

catrancher
11-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Patience lad! The Phil still speaks!

Tom (:macwave:... want... lust... need...., Oh... heavy on the lust.)

keith
11-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Patience lad! The Phil still speaks!

Tom (:macwave:... want... lust... need...., Oh... heavy on the lust.)

I hope they dont make too many options....

catrancher
11-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Me too. But 768GB of SSD. Whoa nelly! Now we're talking adequate capacity.

Tom (:macwave:... how much, how much, how much?)

keith
11-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Me too. But 768GB of SSD. Whoa nelly! Now we're talking adequate capacity.

Tom (:macwave:... how much, how much, how much?)

I promised myself I was gonna spec this one to the max given my last 15" is a good few years old now... but holy moly, 768GB SDD and 16GB memory.... um

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Following live update and planning on how much I can actually afford to sell my liver for... Need to get down to Apple Store for a play around ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catrancher
11-06-2012, 05:40 PM
I can actually afford to sell my liver for... :ROFL:

Me first! And I'll throw in a kidney for free!

Tom (:macwave:... wish a still had a first born male child.)

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 05:41 PM
What's beam forming? #confused

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Falls over at price! How much?!!

keith
11-06-2012, 05:43 PM
15.4 Retina display, 2.3GHz quad-core i7, 8GB of RAM, GeForce Gt 650M with 1GB of VRAM, 256GB flash storage. Starting at $2199. (Configurations beyond that, too.)

starts shipping today!

catrancher
11-06-2012, 05:45 PM
15.4 Retina display, 2.3GHz quad-core i7, 8GB of RAM, GeForce Gt 650M with 1GB of VRAM, 256GB flash storage. Starting at $2199. (Configurations beyond that, too.)

starts shipping today!

Ordered yours yet?

Tom (:macwave:... 11705.vB)

keith
11-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Ordered yours yet?

Tom (:macwave:... 11705)

if I possibly could I would but all the stores are down as usual :lol:

I'd call my local apple store but all they ever say is "no news yet" so I suspect I'd be better off ordering online when the store comes back

I'm more than happy with the base spec, I dont even need that! *BUT* I think I'll up the SSD to at least 512

catrancher
11-06-2012, 05:52 PM
It sounds like they might be giving the user a bit more control over his iCloud integration. More like what Dropbox does currently. I certainly hope that's the case. And I hope they do away with the stupid auto-save.

Tom (:macwave:... lost documents because of it...)

catrancher
11-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Growl's dead.

Tom (:macwave:... had to happen sooner or later...)

keith
11-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Growl's dead.

Tom (:macwave:... had to happen sooner or later...)

yeah poor guys... seems to happen every year

catrancher
11-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm really going to want to see the video of this keynote including the demos.

Tom (:macwave:... visually oriented...)

keith
11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm really going to want to see the video of this keynote including the demos.

Tom (:macwave:... visually oriented...)

YEAH!!!!!!

missing the days when they'd broadcast the whole thing live.

Someone call the apple store trafford centre for me and ask them when they'll have the new macbook pros in stock please :D

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 06:05 PM
One thing that concerns me. If all my devices are synced and I already have an iPhone, (old) iMac and iPad, why bother with a laptop? Seems a little redundant...?

Cue the gasps from Keith and Tom.....

Britchick
11-06-2012, 06:05 PM
where can you watch these releases please?

keith
11-06-2012, 06:07 PM
One thing that concerns me. If all my devices are synced and I already have an iPhone, (old) iMac and iPad, why bother with a laptop? Seems a little redundant...?

no gasps :) it's all down to your usage

Many more people nowadays use ipads and dont even use imacs/macbooks....

I need to type a lot so an ipad only life isn't QUITE there for me yet and so I want the best laptop I can get

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 06:07 PM
where can you watch these releases please?

Getting updates from macrumourslive.com

Britchick
11-06-2012, 06:08 PM
thanks!

keith
11-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Upgrades from Lion and all the way from Snow Leopard. Single purchase will upgrade all your personal Macs.

Lion was at $29.99, but want even more people to get their hands on Mountain Lion. $19.99.

SUCH great prices... obviously since they make all their money on hardware

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:09 PM

Actually, you're right. Unless you're a laptop kind of person. I've changed over to an iMac and it's brilliant. But i do have one problem. My reading is such anymore that if I get close enough to my 27" iMac to read it clearly, it's like sitting in an iMax theater. I feel like I'm so close to the screen. But I have to do that. If I stay back farther, the words get blurry. With a laptop I don't have that problem since I'm naturally closer to the screen.

Tom (:macwave:... but someday I'll probably be both again...)

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Ya' know. If Microsoft is watching this and seeing these kind of numbers, they've got to be asking themselves where they screwed up. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... just a random thought...)

keith
11-06-2012, 06:13 PM
talking about siri now.. does anyone actually use it??

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 06:14 PM
You should get it changed to a 3D display and have everything jumping out at you :-)

I do a lot of video editing work and my 2006 iMac is starting to get a bit slow. It applied for a disability scooter last week, despite me upgrading the RAM recently.

Grrr

Britchick
11-06-2012, 06:15 PM
oooh a new iPhone? and will i succumb as i have no contract? :unsure:

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Ya' know. If Microsoft is watching this and seeing these kind of numbers, they've got to be asking themselves where they screwed up. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... just a random thought...)

Round about the launch of XP I should wonder :-) :yes:

catrancher

John Malkovich?

Tom (:macwave:... joke...)

Clarkkent
oooh a new iPhone? and will i succumb as i have no contract? :unsure:

No news on the phone yet. Just the operating system ...

keith
11-06-2012, 06:17 PM
John Malkovich?

Tom (:macwave:... joke...)

:lol:

over here it's next to useless anyway since you can only ask about businesses, restaurants etc if youre in the US!

so other than asking it about the weather continuously ... :/

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Nope. Turned mine off. She was annoying me.

keith
11-06-2012, 06:18 PM
No news on the phone yet. Just the operating system ...

if we get some kind of indication as to when it'll be released or go to GM.. that'll give us an idea when we can expect the iphone 5 :yes:

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:20 PM
if we get some kind of indication as to when it'll be released or go to GM.. that'll give us an idea when we can expect the iphone 5 :yes:

I'm betting on September. To make 3rd quarter numbers.

Tom (:macwave:... Christmas is coming! :santasneak:)

keith
11-06-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm betting on September. To make 3rd quarter numbers.

Tom (:macwave:... Christmas is coming! :santasneak:)

I'm really hoping so :yes:

Britchick
11-06-2012, 06:22 PM
ha! Siri on ipad

keith
11-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Working very closely with Facebook to create best Facebook experience ever on a mobile device. Integrating right in iOS 6. Enter your username/password in Settings.

at last! about time

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Hmmm... Twitter integration, Facebook integration. They're turning Apple products into their own social ecosystem.

Tom (:macwave:... brilliant marketing move...)

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:24 PM
ha! Siri on ipad

You can't be Siri-ous? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... :ROFL:... I kill me.)

Britchick
11-06-2012, 06:26 PM
You can't be Siri-ous? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... :ROFL:... I kill me.)

well i like it! :yes:

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Unless they dramatically change the UI for the 5 and IOS6 I may jump ship. So bored of the exact same functionality across the entire range.

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Unify your Apple ID and your cell phone number? Whoa....

Tom (:macwave:... answer my cell phone on my Mac? Cool!)

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Unify your Apple ID and your cell phone number? Whoa....

Tom (:macwave:... answer my cell phone on my Mac? Cool!)

Finally!! Getting frustrated with having separate IDs for iMessage on my iPhone and iPad. But making calls via my mac- now that's cool :)

keith
11-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Unless they dramatically change the UI for the 5 and IOS6 I may jump ship. So bored of the exact same functionality across the entire range.

Im that type of person, I get bored and have to try something new. Every time I've tried I've come back to the iphone

yeah it's a simple UI thats almost starting to feel a bit old but it works well

Britchick
11-06-2012, 06:33 PM
oooh like the VIP emails

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Hmm... Maps sounds like the gloves are coming off in the war with Google.

Tom (:macwave:... my billions can beat up your billions!)

Clarkkent
11-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Maps. Meh.

keith
11-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Hmm... Maps sounds like the gloves are coming off in the war with Google.

Tom (:macwave:... my billions can beat up your billions!)

yeah!

I dont mind who gives me maps as long as someone does and they work!

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:47 PM
yeah!

I dont mind who gives me maps as long as someone does and they work!

And have turn by turn. About time. Course there goes the GPS Navigation business. :sigh:

Tom (:macwave:... will Apple eventually own the world?)

keith
11-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Beta of iOS 6 to developers today.

I think I'll be downloading that then! (assuming its on the dev website)

keith
11-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Ships this fall. Supports iPhone 3GS or later, second and third generation iPad, and the fourth-generation iPod touch.

I never REALLY know what US companies mean when they say "fall" ... how exact a date that is

Britchick
Mr 1st gen ipad not happy LOL

Clarkkent
Hmm. Actually disappointed by ios6. Not sure why though. Just wanted it to _look_ different I suppose!

Britchick
11-06-2012, 06:52 PM

how do i get to be a developer? lol

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:52 PM

:yes:

But probably not for a few days. Let the Christmas rush die down.

Tom (:macwave:... quit pushing!)

keith
11-06-2012, 06:53 PM
well the dev site says come back later... soo looking good!

keith
11-06-2012, 06:54 PM
now the big question is.... order online or try and see when the local apple store will get one hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:55 PM
I never REALLY know what US companies mean when they say "fall" ... how exact a date that is

That's exactly between September 1st and November 21st this year. :shrug:

Tom (:macwave:... specifically nebulous...)

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
how do i get to be a developer? lol

Go here and pay $99/year.

Tom (:macwave:... yep. Sure am.)

catrancher
11-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Ohhh... Macbook Pro is up on the Apple site.

Tom (:macwave:... ohhh... shiny!)

keith
11-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Ohhh... Macbook Pro is up on the Apple site.

Tom (:macwave:... ohhh... shiny!)

uk store not up yet but the specs are....

£1799 for the base model (aboutttttt $2700)

catrancher
11-06-2012, 07:05 PM
uk store not up yet but the specs are....

£1799 for the base model (aboutttttt $2700)

$2199 for the base over here. Keith's getting a Christmas present when he comes over! :happydance:

Tom (:macwave:... but gawd, it's gorgeous!)

catrancher
11-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Interesting though that the base model can only be configured with 256GB of SSD. But the higher priced spread which comes with 512GB can go up to 768GB.

Tom (:macwave:... Jony Ive done good!)

keith
11-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Interesting though that the base model can only be configured with 256GB of SSD. But the higher priced spread which comes with 512GB can go up to 768GB.

Tom (:macwave:... Jony Ive done good!)

oh you can get that far on the US site!

if thats the way I'm gonna have to go higher speed, which of course is what they want and what i dont REALLY need

Wendy
11-06-2012, 07:16 PM

if thats the way I'm gonna have to go higher speed, which of course is what they want and what i dont REALLY need

You'll get it anyway :lol: even if you don't really need it :lol:

catrancher
11-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Yep. :yes:

Agreed. Or wait. I think eventually, this new model MBP will supplant the older ones and they'll go the way of the dinosaur. Maybe then the build to order options will be better.

Tom (:macwave:... but it's still cool!)

keith
11-06-2012, 07:19 PM
You'll get it anyway :lol: even if you don't really need it :lol:

oi missus :surrender:

Thing is with this Wen, I dont tend to spec the CPU massively on my laptops because I dont edit video on them and the higher the CPU the hotter they tend to run, the louder they are, less battery life and everything.

So if I had the option, I'd get the base cpu (already very powerful) and spec up the storage and memory which are more important.

Wendy
11-06-2012, 07:22 PM
oi missus :surrender:

Thing is with this Wen, I dont tend to spec the CPU massively on my laptops because I dont edit video on them and the higher the CPU the hotter they tend to run, the louder they are, less battery life and everything.

So if I had the option, I'd get the base cpu (already very powerful) and spec up the storage and memory which are more important.

:taunt: but if you can't you'll get the the other one...................sorted :lol:

Chris was hoping for news in the iphone5 :lol:

keith
11-06-2012, 07:26 PM
:taunt: but if you can't you'll get the the other one...................sorted :lol:

Chris was hoping for news in the iphone5 :lol:

Well the ios6 stuff (which we can download today hopefully) will tell us 99% of what the iphone 5 will do. The only remaining things to find out are exactly when it'll come (sept/oct) and what the hardware looks like. I think a bigger screen will probably be the most visible difference

Britchick
11-06-2012, 07:34 PM
i hope they make it less brick like

catrancher
11-06-2012, 07:35 PM
US Apple Store is back up and sure enough, you can configure the higher priced new Macbook Pro with the additional SSD but not the lower priced one. Base model is stuck with 256GB.

Also interesting that they've also released an external Apple USB SuperDrive for $79. For those who can't give up their optical disks.

Tom (:macwave:... oh Lord, I want one...)

keith
11-06-2012, 07:35 PM
i hope they make it less brick like

see again its weird how people like different things

Of all the phones I've got here and I've got a lot, the iphone feels like a slab BUT it feels the best made of any of them.

The samsung s3 feels VERY plasticy although its a very nice phone

catrancher
11-06-2012, 07:38 PM
$3499 for the new Macbook Pro with the slower (2.6Ghz) CPU, 16 GB of memory and, 768 GB SSD.

Tom (:macwave:... do I really need two arms? Or can I sell one and make do with the other?)

Deafjeff
11-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm so confused now no idea which one to get now :unsure:

keith
11-06-2012, 07:52 PM
$3499 for the new Macbook Pro with the slower (2.6Ghz) CPU, 16 GB of memory and, 768 GB SSD.

Tom (:macwave:... do I really need two arms? Or can I sell one and make do with the other?)

ok well evil deed is done :yes:

Britchick
11-06-2012, 08:16 PM
that's a disney holiday for me and Caitlin :mental:

keith
11-06-2012, 08:23 PM
if it lasts as many years as my last 15" macbook pro did without me feeling TOO jealous of the new models ;-) I'll be very happy

keith
11-06-2012, 08:43 PM
ps for apple fans.... in case you've missed it
http://www.mupromo.com/affil/11350

these guys do nice bundles of useful apps from time to time at silly prices!

Like the bundle today includes full parallels (run windows on mac)
screenflow (record your screen as you do things)
some games
keystroke shortcut helper

for $49.99

it's a bargain as parallels normally costs at least that on its own

Britchick
11-06-2012, 08:47 PM
if it lasts as many years as my last 15" macbook pro did without me feeling TOO jealous of the new models ;-) I'll be very happy

i know i'm just teasing LOL

Wendy
11-06-2012, 09:03 PM

I knew you would :lol:

keith
11-06-2012, 09:11 PM
:tongue:

I do really have to have a bit of an ebay of the 2*macbook airs and the 15" macbook pro now though :lol:

Wendy
11-06-2012, 09:13 PM
:tongue:

I do really have to have a bit of an ebay of the 2*macbook airs and the 15" macbook pro now though :lol:

:lol:

foreverducky
11-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Ok, I've caught up on the thread. Seems you all were busy while I was working.

I'm still a little undecided which to get, either a new iPad or a macbook air. I would need it for work and just for fun too. It seems most of my notes (for work) will be done on paper, but I will still need to be able to get on on the 'net and do some typing. iPad or macbook air (the small one)? Anything I should think about? Is there something that the macbook air can do that the iPad can't?

keith
11-06-2012, 09:43 PM
for me, the decision is will you use the device mainly for reading/browsing/reading email and occasional replies? or will you want to use it to type long essays, documents or generally do a lot of keyboard/mouse work?

If the former, then you'll love the ipad

if the latter, then the macbook air either 11 or 13, will wow you with how great they are

I think if you're undecided, the macbook air is the more capable.

I could live without my ipad (though it'd hurt nowadays!) but I couldn't live without my laptop

Britchick
11-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Ive used dictation on my iPad for essays and also the wireless keyboard :yes:

Deafjeff
11-06-2012, 09:48 PM
ps for apple fans.... in case you've missed it
http://www.mupromo.com/affil/11350

these guys do nice bundles of useful apps from time to time at silly prices!

Like the bundle today includes full parallels (run windows on mac)
screenflow (record your screen as you do things)
some games
keystroke shortcut helper

for $49.99

it's a bargain as parallels normally costs at least that on its own

Never brought anything from them. Is it worth it? Is it a safe company to use etc

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vkdh5f

foreverducky
11-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Will the iPad or air sync with my iMac? If so, is that an easy process?

keith
11-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Will the iPad or air sync with my iMac? If so, is that an easy process?

yep, also bear in mind that everything mac is starting to sync with iCloud. So the idea is that rather than syncing your ipad with your imac, you'll sync everything with your documents in the cloud

foreverducky
11-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Good to know. Decisions, decisions.

foreverducky
11-06-2012, 10:51 PM
What typing programs are on the iPad? Can I get mac word for it?

keith
11-06-2012, 11:26 PM
You can get pages which is like word but much nicer

foreverducky
11-06-2012, 11:49 PM
You can get pages which is like word but much nicer

Can I save pages as a word doc, so I can send it to people with pcs.

Or can I download mac word from the app store for it?

keith
11-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Can I save pages as a word doc, so I can send it to people with pcs.

Or can I download mac word from the app store for it?

yep you can load and save word docs

foreverducky
11-06-2012, 11:58 PM
I think I'm going to get the iPad...

Is the newer version better to get than the older version that still for sale?

keith
12-06-2012, 12:01 AM
I think I'm going to get the iPad...

Is the newer version better to get than the older version that still for sale?

Yep for sure

foreverducky
12-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Whew, I think I've made my decision. I'm going to buy the new version of the iPad. If I need to type more with it, I'll just pick up a keyboard later on.

Wendy
12-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Whew, I think I've made my decision. I'm going to buy the new version of the iPad. If I need to type more with it, I'll just pick up a keyboard later on.

You could always buy one of these (http://clamcase.com/ipad-3-keyboard-case-black.html) :D

Why when he doesn't have an ipad he was looking at this I don't know :unsure: Unless there is something he's not telling me........................Keith do you know something I don't know :lol:

Deafjeff
12-06-2012, 08:56 AM
You could always buy one of these (http://clamcase.com/ipad-3-keyboard-case-black.html) :D

Why when he doesn't have an ipad he was looking at this I don't know :unsure: Unless there is something he's not telling me........................Keith do you know something I don't know :lol:

That fab! I wonder if they sell that in the uk? :unsure:

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hj2waf

foreverducky
12-06-2012, 09:57 AM
That's pretty darn cool Wendy. Hmmmm.....

catrancher
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Excellent! :thumbsup:

When's the ship date? We'll expect a full unboxing and review as soon as it arrives! :yes:

When I look at this image (http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/features/retina.html) which is at Retina display resolution, I'm just blown away. Can't wait to hear what you think of it "in person"!

Tom (:macwave:... I soooooo want one of these!)

catrancher
12-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Ohhh... many updates in the Mac App Store this morning! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... off to update...)

catrancher
12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Hmmm....

Just had it pointed out that the turn-by-turn navigation or flyover functionality in IOS 6 will only work on the iPhone 4S or later and the iPad 2 or later. Even though IOS 6 will supposedly run on an iPhone 3S and up.

Kind of a disappointment since I was looking forward to the turn by turn directions but both I and my DW only have iPhone 4. :thumbsdown:

Tom (:macwave:.. not sure I'm wild about some of this obsolescence...)

keith
12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Well I've put ios6 on my iphone 4s so lets see.....

catrancher
12-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Well I've put ios6 on my iphone 4s so lets see.....

But if you've got the 4S, it will work for you. My issue is that all we've got is the 4. And according to what I've heard, no turn by turn.

Tom (:macwave:... lost...)

keith
12-06-2012, 03:52 PM
But if you've got the 4S, it will work for you. My issue is that all we've got is the 4. And according to what I've heard, no turn by turn.

Tom (:macwave:... lost...)

I can try on there too I have a 4

catrancher
12-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Good. Many thanks. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... planned obsolescence overkill...)

Wendy
12-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Cough cough :wink:

keith
12-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Cough cough :wink:

:p actually I have two of them one bought direct from apple and one Vodafone so I'll try it on the voda one and leave the apple one nice and fresh

keith
12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Glad I ordered the laptop. They're at two or three weeks delay now

catrancher
12-06-2012, 05:23 PM

You lucky... (choose your descriptive term). :shocked:

I'm actually kind of surprised that it's only two or three weeks. I figured it would be worse than that. I can see that sooner or later, I'm going to have to figure out how to get one of these. I'm kicking around some ideas.

Tom (:macwave:... be still my beating heart!)

Wendy
12-06-2012, 05:37 PM
:p actually I have two of them one bought direct from apple and one Vodafone so I'll try it on the voda one and leave the apple one nice and fresh

You can try it on whatever phone you like :D :lol:

Well done you :hug2: Umm why are you still looking!

keith
12-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Umm why are you still looking!

Im not, honest :lol: it was a story on appleinsider

Wendy
12-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Im not, honest :lol: it was a story on appleinsider

If you say so :rolleyes3: :lol:

uscwest
12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I have to admit I haven't been following this new iOS but does it pertain to iPads also?

catrancher
12-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I have to admit I haven't been following this new iOS but does it pertain to iPads also?

Yep. Sure does John. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... it's pertinent...)

keith
12-06-2012, 07:31 PM

yep!

foreverducky
12-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Last night I purchased the new iPad, along with a cover, keyboard, and rechargeable battery do-da (seems like I'm always changing the batteries in my mouse. :applaudit:

Britchick
12-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Last night I purchased the new iPad, along with a cover, keyboard, and rechargeable battery do-da (seems like I'm always changing the batteries in my mouse. :applaudit:

You won't regret it! Did you get the 4G or wifi one?

foreverducky
12-06-2012, 10:38 PM
You won't regret it! Did you get the 4G or wifi one?

I bought the cheapest one. :lol:

keith
13-06-2012, 01:59 AM
ios 6 is brilliant :) really nice.

ok, its still not as flashy as the windows phone live tiles, so it may look old school but there are some great bits in there.

Even siri finally works properly in the UK! it finds restaurants and businesses finally

Deafjeff
13-06-2012, 06:19 AM
I bought the cheapest one. :lol:

:wave: welcome to iclub :yes:

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4hb3ht

Deafjeff
13-06-2012, 06:20 AM
ios 6 is brilliant :) really nice.

ok, its still not as flashy as the windows phone live tiles, so it may look old school but there are some great bits in there.

Even siri finally works properly in the UK! it finds restaurants and businesses finally

Do you know if the pass holder thingy (unsure of the name) works in the UK and if FaceTime via data will also work in the uk?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?trwfy3

keith
13-06-2012, 05:59 PM
This is shaping up to be a huge thread :yes:

well I sat there thinking whether to spec out the macbook pro to the max because normally I've been able to upgrade memory etc for cheaper than I could from Apple. In the end, I paid the extra because it said in little letters "configurable to 16GB" not Expandable. Turns out that's right, it cant be expanded after because the memory is soldered onto the board. So anyone buying should bear that in mind and order what you want on day one!

What else... oh yes the new ios is brilliant. Forget android and windows for now, they've got catching up to do! ios 6 is smooth, refined and has started to get those little thoughtful touches that Apple put in when a product has matured. None of this is particularly secret since it's shown on the keynote which is publicly available.

It's always logged into facebook/twitter so now if you take a photo, you just click post to facebook and blam.

If you get a mention on either service, you get notified.

if the phone rings, you can click to send a text saying call you back later AND the phone sets itself up so that when you leave the room you're in, it reminds you. So cool.

Maps is better. siri now works properly in the UK, it even knows UK soccer scores. It's almost (shock) useful.

All the way through are little things that you find whilst using it which arent flashy, but are truly useful and make you think OOOOO that's cute!

I really like it!

one of the really great things is when you have mountain lion on the desktop/laptop. If you're browsing on your ipad/iphone, you come to your desktop and thing oh what was that page. Well I normally have to grab the ipad/iphone and email myself the link to the desktop or something. No more, click the cloud icon on safari and you can see all the open pages on your ipads/iphones etc :)

turn by turn only on 4s although I wouldnt use it on a phone anyway tbh unless I was desperate!

passbook will work if companies support it

oh and the disney mobile magic app still works fine on ios 6 :lol:

catrancher
13-06-2012, 06:15 PM
This is shaping up to be a huge thread :yes:

Of course. We're huge fans! :macwave:

Turns out that's right, it cant be expanded after because the memory is soldered onto the board. So anyone buying should bear that in mind and order what you want on day one!

Saw that this morning too. I suppose it only makes sense given how much they're cramming into the machine and the limited footprint they've got to work within. Still, from a maintenance and repair standpoint, it's a caution. Might bode well for an AppleCare plan.

if the phone rings, you can click to send a text saying call you back later AND the phone sets itself up so that when you leave the room you're in, it reminds you. So cool.

I like this! :yes:
Much better than just sending them to voicemail.

one of the really great things is when you have mountain lion on the desktop/laptop. If you're browsing on your ipad/iphone, you come to your desktop and thing oh what was that page. Well I normally have to grab the ipad/iphone and email myself the link to the desktop or something. No more, click the cloud icon on safari and you can see all the open pages on your ipads/iphones etc :)

Have you loaded Mountain Lion also? If so, is there better iCloud capability? Like Dropbox where I can actually decide to put something in the cloud rather than having the software make all the decisions for me. I like having more individual control.

turn by turn only on 4s although I wouldnt use it on a phone anyway tbh unless I was desperate!

Still, it'd be nice to have. BTW - did you hear that Apple and Tom-Tom are now evidently in bed together?

Tom (:macwave:... we likes it my precious!)

keith
13-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Still, from a maintenance and repair standpoint, it's a caution. Might bode well for an AppleCare plan.

yeah I didnt buy that with it but I think I can buy one any time in the first year and I think you're right, it's a prime candidate for applecare! (I'll have to have several whisky's to spend a few hundred quid on an "insurance" policy, I REALLY hate it :lol: )

Have you loaded Mountain Lion also? If so, is there better iCloud capability? Like Dropbox where I can actually decide to put something in the cloud rather than having the software make all the decisions for me. I like having more individual control.

I have loaded ML and excellent it is! loving it.... I looked at icloud and no, I couldnt see an obvious way for it to become a drive or anything like that :/ it still seems very constrained to being used by apps

Still, it'd be nice to have. BTW - did you hear that Apple and Tom-Tom are now evidently in bed together?

yeah and microsoft imagery :) they REALLY don't want to be in bed with Google at the moment do they?

I don't care I honestly don't, as long as the maps are useful and accurate, I'm fine with wherever they get them from :)

catrancher
13-06-2012, 06:39 PM
yeah I didnt buy that with it but I think I can buy one any time in the first year and I think you're right, it's a prime candidate for applecare! (I'll have to have several whisky's to spend a few hundred quid on an "insurance" policy, I REALLY hate it :lol: )

That's two of us. I have never bought one but I'm starting to think it may be the best plan. Hate it though I do. :mad:

I have loaded ML and excellent it is! loving it.... I looked at icloud and no, I couldnt see an obvious way for it to become a drive or anything like that :/ it still seems very constrained to being used by apps

Curses. I was really hoping they were going to give us a bit more control over iCloud. I don't mind the apps using it but I wanted a bit more personal capability from it. Like I said before. More like Dropbox. Perhaps when we get closer to the actual GM, they'll open it up a bit more. I hope. :fingers:

Tom (:macwave:... still want that Macbook...)

keith
13-06-2012, 08:02 PM
oooh like the VIP emails

ok it turns out this is one of the really useful little features in both ios6 and ML because they work so well together.

So an email comes into your iphone and you think ok, that's from someone important like a disney travel agent or something. You don't want to miss any emails AND you'd like them kept together in a good place as well as your inbox. so you tap on their name, add to VIP. Done.

Now on your iphone you can find all their new emails in the VIP folder and when they email, you'll get an escalated notification like you would for a text and it even works if the phone is off and locked!

So far so good, but you go to your desktop or ipad, and it's all automatically setup on there too! so all your devices share the setting and you dont miss anything because you forgot to add them as vip on your desktop.

This is what's starting to impress me more and more. Everything you do on any device is synced to all the others. It's kinda obvious but yet something that we've not really had before!

keith
13-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Preparing for Shipment 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

yay! just hope it arrives and without too many dead pixels!

Clarkkent
13-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Woohoo!! Photos please!!

And I'm not jealous

Not

One

Little

Bit!

Deafjeff
13-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Preparing for Shipment 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

yay! just hope it arrives and without too many dead pixels!

:mental:

keith
14-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Last Location:
Departed - Shanghai, China, Thursday, 14/06/2012

Love watching it wing its way across the world

catrancher
14-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Last Location:

Just so long as it isn't on a slow boat! :ROFL:

BTW - just saw the following this morning:

And while this wasn’t on Schiller’s slide, if you’re one of the frustrated Lion users angsty over OS X 10.7’s removal of the Save As command, you’ll appreciate that Mountain Lion restores that option—while Shift-Command-S remains the shortcut for Duplicate, adding Option to that keyboard combo gives you the traditional Save As behavior.

Yay! Thank goodness. Maybe they'll give us users back a bit of control like we used to have! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... some ideas aren't necessarily good...)

Clarkkent
14-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Last Location:

You'd think they'd have shipped some to the UK in advance of orders piling up!

keith
14-06-2012, 04:38 PM

they will have done, but mine was a special specification and configure to order CTO's always come from China

catrancher
14-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Nope. They'd never do that. Defeats the purpose of a JIT inventory system. Remember that it would cost them to warehouse the stuff there. Why would they spend that money. With a JIT process (Just in time), they can build to order and ship directly to the customer. Cut out the floorplan costs completely. That's why you won't see them stockpile inventory anywhere except the limited amount they have in the retail stores.

Tom (:macwave:... floorspace costs money. Lots of money!)

catrancher
14-06-2012, 04:42 PM
they will have done

I seriously doubt they'd do much of that if any. I know when I ordered my last 17" Macbook Pro, it was a standard build but it still shipped from China.

Tom (:macwave:... cheap, cheap, cheap)

keith
14-06-2012, 04:55 PM
I seriously doubt they'd do much of that if any. I know when I ordered my last 17" Macbook Pro, it was a standard build but it still shipped from China.

yeah but there's apple Ireland over here and you often find standard builds come from there.... perhaps shipped from china to there before going out to stores and then some customers? :/

Not entirely sure but I know that I've seen estimated delivery times 1 or 2 days on standard builds in the UK apple store which ship from Ireland

catrancher
14-06-2012, 05:02 PM
yeah but there's apple Ireland over here and you often find standard builds come from there.... perhaps shipped from china to there before going out to stores and then some customers? :/

Not entirely sure but I know that I've seen estimated delivery times 1 or 2 days on standard builds in the UK apple store which ship from Ireland

Hmmm.... forgot about Apple Ireland. You could be right there. I'm sure they do assembly over there now that you mention it. But I'll bet you anything that there's not a whole load of them piled up in a warehouse somewhere. Last words I heard was that Apple was running around a 74.1 inventory ratio. That implies they're selling their complete inventory every 5 days. Not much room to dawdle in a warehouse with those kind of numbers.

Tom (:macwave:... stunning when you thing about it...)

keith
14-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Hmmm.... forgot about Apple Ireland. You could be right there. I'm sure they do assembly over there now that you mention it. But I'll bet you anything that there's not a whole load of them piled up in a warehouse somewhere. Last words I heard was that Apple was running around a 74.1 inventory ratio. That implies they're selling their complete inventory every 5 days. Not much room to dawdle in a warehouse with those kind of numbers.

Tom (:macwave:... stunning when you thing about it...)

yeah they definitely build some stuff over there or USED to at least

however now you mention it, yeah I heard about that complete inventory every 5 days thing too! so yeah hmmm has to be JIT really

catrancher
14-06-2012, 05:16 PM
yeah they definitely build some stuff over there or USED to at least

however now you mention it, yeah I heard about that complete inventory every 5 days thing too! so yeah hmmm has to be JIT really

Although that doesn't eliminate the possibility of them doing assembly in Ireland. Especially for Europe.

Course, as soon as they get their inventory down to a daily turn, then I'll be impressed. :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... not asking for much. Am I?)

keith
14-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Thing is, I must admit, the journey from shanghai was the same one the imac took, and it was quite cute to wake up every day and watch the ups tracker to see where it had got up to.

(although a friend watching his brand new bmw come over from Germany was enjoying that right up until the status said "Exception - Water incursion - Car lost" turned out that the car had indeed been lost overboard...)

catrancher
14-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Thing is, I must admit, the journey from shanghai was the same one the imac took, and it was quite cute to wake up every day and watch the ups tracker to see where it had got up to.

(although a friend watching his brand new bmw come over from Germany was enjoying that right up until the status said "Exception - Water incursion - Car lost" turned out that the car had indeed been lost overboard...)

Well, at least you know where you can get a brand new BMW. Even if it is slightly damp. :ROFL:

Seriously, did your friends heart stop? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... vee haf vays of making you like it!)

keith
14-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Seriously, did your friends heart stop? :unsure:

yep not happy... had to wait for a new build etc.

So let's hope the laptop survives the much longer journey!

Deafjeff
14-06-2012, 06:12 PM
yep not happy... had to wait for a new build etc.

So let's hope the laptop survives the much longer journey!

Got my toes and finger crossed for you :yes:

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5mpmnz

foreverducky
14-06-2012, 09:52 PM
My new iPad is also winging it's way from China. :D

keith
14-06-2012, 09:59 PM
My new iPad is also winging it's way from China. :D

Well that certainly supports the "everything comes from China" view then!

it's fun to watch isn't it :)

foreverducky
14-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Yes, it's coming through places I can't pronounce. :lol:

keith
14-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Yes, it's coming through places I can't pronounce. :lol:

mines still saying export scan at shanghai

foreverducky
14-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Mine is currently in GUANGZHOU CN. Yepper, I won't even try to say it out loud.

Deafjeff
15-06-2012, 05:53 AM
mines still saying export scan at shanghai

When is it due?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tbsesr

Clarkkent
15-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Almost like the stork bringing the baby!! Except now we can track them online.

Seems my stork's airmiles have expired. Something to do with the price of petrol being too high! :-)

(still staring at new MacBook and wondering how to get one without renting out DH for favours).

foreverducky
15-06-2012, 09:54 AM
(still staring at new MacBook and wondering how to get one without renting out DH for favours).

:ROFL1:

My iPad has made it to the States. It's in Alaska.

keith
15-06-2012, 11:35 AM
:ROFL1:

My iPad has made it to the States. It's in Alaska.

Mine's taking a nice scenic route across from China to Korea, then to Almaty, Kazakhstan

catrancher
15-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Kazakhstan

Kazakhstan? :unsure:

There's a confidence builder.

Tom (:macwave:... wonder how it's traveling?)

keith
15-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Kazakhstan? :unsure:

There's a confidence builder.

Tom (:macwave:... wonder how it's traveling?)

yeah it'll be in someone's donkey backpack trudging along, being used for soccer now and then

keith
15-06-2012, 05:04 PM
It's now stopped off on the way to visit Warsaw, Poland, next apparently it's going to go backpacking through Germany before catching a plane back to the UK.

Should I be worried about my laptop being better traveled than me?

catrancher
15-06-2012, 05:20 PM

Naw. Just better fed. I bet the Kielbasa in Warsaw is out of this world!

Tom (:macwave:... maybe it will arrive with those little travel stickers all over it.)

Deafjeff
15-06-2012, 06:07 PM
It's now stopped off on the way to visit Warsaw, Poland, next apparently it's going to go backpacking through Germany before catching a plane back to the UK.

When it is due?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?flcsv5

Britchick
15-06-2012, 07:48 PM
ok it turns out this is one of the really useful little features in both ios6 and ML because they work so well together.

So an email comes into your iphone and you think ok, that's from someone important like a disney travel agent or something. You don't want to miss any emails AND you'd like them kept together in a good place as well as your inbox. so you tap on their name, add to VIP. Done.

Now on your iphone you can find all their new emails in the VIP folder and when they email, you'll get an escalated notification like you would for a text and it even works if the phone is off and locked!

So far so good, but you go to your desktop or ipad, and it's all automatically setup on there too! so all your devices share the setting and you dont miss anything because you forgot to add them as vip on your desktop.

This is what's starting to impress me more and more. Everything you do on any device is synced to all the others. It's kinda obvious but yet something that we've not really had before!

not sure i'm that keen on it coming up on all devices :unsure: what am i going to do when my confirmation email for my molton brown shower gel comes through and his nibs sees it?
:anxious:

Clarkkent
15-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Easy. Pretend it's for an in- law and then 'forget' you have stored it at the back of the wardrobe and buy slippers instead.....

(don't tell anyone my secrets!)

keith
15-06-2012, 09:13 PM
well it's now enjoying its time in Koeln, Germany before catching a flight across to the UK.

I'm fairly sure when it turns up after having been on an executive round the world tour, it'll be too snobby to want to talk to the likes of me!

foreverducky
16-06-2012, 01:59 AM
My iPad is definitely not sightseeing. It wants to be home with me as soon as possible. It was briefly in Alaska, then Tennessee, and now Pennsylvania already. Maybe I'll get it sooner than the 19th as Fedex says.

Wendy
16-06-2012, 09:57 AM
My iPad is definitely not sightseeing. It wants to be home with me as soon as possible. It was briefly in Alaska, then Tennessee, and now Pennsylvania already. Maybe I'll get it sooner than the 19th as Fedex says.

:fingers:

Britchick
16-06-2012, 11:41 AM

I missed this! does he do painting i.e. painting the house?

catrancher
16-06-2012, 12:15 PM
well it's now enjoying its time in Koeln, Germany before catching a flight across to the UK.

UC?

I'm fairly sure when it turns up after having been on an executive round the world tour, it'll be too snobby to want to talk to the likes of me!

:snooty:

Tom (:macwave:... just sayin')

Clarkkent
16-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I missed this! does he do painting i.e. painting the house?

He will do as he's told. Expect not only the painting to be done, but he will sort out matching curtains and scatter cushions aplenty. :yes2:

catrancher
16-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Brief interruption to the travelogue...

Didja see where (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/15/working_apple_i_motherboard_sells_for_375k_steve_j obs_atari_letter_for_28k.html) one of the original, still working, Apple 1 computers sold by Sotheby's at auction for $375K? :jawdrop:

Now I understand where Apple pricing comes from. :D

Tom (:macwave:... bunch 'o money...)

Deafjeff
16-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I was at Apple store to see the new range of lap top and to see Keith's new baby. One of the worker asked me if I ever felt the weight of a 13 inch..... The conversation could have went to something entirely different! :jawdrop:

The lap top that Keith is getting is quite amazing!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?i2eru2

Wendy
16-06-2012, 12:48 PM
I was at Apple store to see the new range of lap top and to see Keith's new baby. One of the worker asked me if I ever felt the weight of a 13 inch..... The conversation could have went to something entirely different! :jawdrop:

The lap top that Keith is getting is quite amazing!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?i2eru2

:laugh: :laugh: oh Jeff :lol:

Clarkkent
16-06-2012, 12:48 PM
I've just had a play with the retina base model.

It is stupidly fast.

On the computer I currently use for video editing, a 5-10 second clip with green screen takes about 30-45 seconds to export. The retina did it in 4 seconds :worship:

If I sell the dog, a kidney, rent out the DH and flog the Star Wars Lego on eBay I might just be able to sort it. :2thumbsup:

Wendy
16-06-2012, 12:49 PM
He will do as he's told. Expect not only the painting to be done, but he will sort out matching curtains and scatter cushions aplenty. :yes2:

Ok, so when I need my lounge re-decorating then I need to get Jeff in :D

Deafjeff
16-06-2012, 12:54 PM
:laugh: :laugh: oh Jeff :lol:

I was too scared to start talking about the important of a piece of equipment that does the job, something that can be carried everywhere and look and feel good, doesn't feel heavy after using it for a while......

Britchick
16-06-2012, 08:44 PM

exellent, I'll give him DHs credit card then :tongue: i need new cushions and curtains in the lounge!

Deafjeff
16-06-2012, 08:51 PM
exellent, I'll give him DHs credit card then :tongue: i need new cushions and curtains in the lounge!

I'm an expert in spending credit card :yes: