PDA

View Full Version : Rumour that filet is off the menus at Disney?

keith
08-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Has anyone else heard this?

Apparently the filet mignon/beef tenderloin etc. are being taken off the menu as of this weekend, in places like artist point, le cellier etc. Some people saying it's the dining plan effect, others saying it's an attempt towards a more healthy menu :/

I'm REALLY hoping this isn't true because I'm a picky eater and it really would mean there's nothing on the menu of some places that I'd eat :eek: There's not much information or confirmation yet though so still hoping it's not true

Johnie
08-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Oh no.....Alysia will not be happy.

I swear the dining plan has been the death of good food.

Tink
08-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Well that is just STUPID! I'll be so upset! It's one of the very limited choices on this goofball diet that I can eat!

UGH!

Filet is one of the leaner and healthier choices of beef!

Double UGH!

PsychoAlice
08-11-2008, 12:21 AM
right now..how I feel?

Who takes time to eat?

isittimetogoyet? isittimetogoyet? isittimetogoyet? isittimetogoyet? isittimetogoyet?

Isafari
08-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Wow....I hope it's not true too. The only reason we're going to Le Cellier is for DH to have his filet mignon. There may be an ADR cancellation there :(

We'll also be eating offsite a lot more if it's true.

PsychoAlice
08-11-2008, 12:24 AM
ShouldntIbestandinginlinetoridesomething?

Tink
08-11-2008, 12:24 AM
You have that SO right , Issy! :( Ruth's Chris, Charley's, Morton's, Mannies and Vics will all be doing record business, not to mention the lower end places like Outback, Long Horn, etc.

Gosh, this is going to make a REAL problem for me very shortly, if it's true. :serious hissy fit! :

keith
08-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Wow....I hope it's not true too. The only reason we're going to Le Cellier is for DH to have his filet mignon. There may be an ADR cancellation there :(

Same for me :( the rumour says that the maple filet has gone but there's still a mushroom steak of some description

We'll also be eating offsite a lot more if it's true.

yep. it would completely change our dining plans, we'd be offsite every day other than perhaps yachstsmans, shulas etc.

keith
08-11-2008, 12:26 AM

PA :lol:

Johnie
When we don't have the dining plan, we DO eat off-site more. We had an ADR for LTT on Thanksgiving Day last year. They had upped the price b/c it was a holiday and I couldn't use the DDE discount. So we cancelled and went to the Sleuth's Mystery Dinner instead. We also had a WONDERFUL time.

keith
When we don't have the dining plan, we DO eat off-site more. We had an ADR for LTT on Thanksgiving Day last year. They had upped the price b/c it was a holiday and I couldn't use the DDE discount. So we cancelled and went to the Sleuth's Mystery Dinner instead. We also had a WONDERFUL time.

ooooooooooooo was it good? am I gonna get picked on if I do it? :lol:

PsychoAlice
08-11-2008, 12:27 AM
PA :lol:

I cant help it Im sorry!!:oops:

Expect this stuff to happen all over the place....

Tink
08-11-2008, 12:28 AM
If YSH joins in and removes the filet (or the chateau briand) you'll hear me in the UK! And it won't be with a phone! :why isn't there a hissy smiley?: AARRRGGGH!

Tink
08-11-2008, 12:28 AM
S'okay PsychoAlice! You have every right to be wicked excited! :yes: :hug1:

Johnie
08-11-2008, 12:31 AM
ooooooooooooo was it good? am I gonna get picked on if I do it? :lol:

It was good. We had a traditional T-Day meal but they normally have different food options. I didn't see anyone getting picked on except birthday/anniversary people. So, unless you tell them you are celebrating something, you should be ok.

Isafari
So we cancelled and went to the Sleuth's Mystery Dinner instead. We also had a WONDERFUL time.

I'd love to go there if I'm not going to be looked at or picked on! What was it like Johnie.....foodwise and entertainment?

keith
It was good. We had a traditional T-Day meal but they normally have different food options. I didn't see anyone getting picked on except birthday/anniversary people. So, unless you tell them you are celebrating something, you should be ok.

excellent thanks :D

luvthemouse
08-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Oh I so hope it's not true!!! Count me as one of the unhappy ones too. What would be the point of Le Cellier?:(

keith
08-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Oh I so hope it's not true!!! Count me as one of the unhappy ones too. What would be the point of Le Cellier?:(

Welcome to Le Cellier Steakhouse, what salad or fish would you like :lol:

Tink? I'm feeling like we're going to have to send you on an official fact finding mission ;)

Johnie
08-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Our food was good. Our particular show was "My Space: The Musical" :lol: They were auditioning for it and someone died (of course) and then we had to figure out who done it. I figured it out and was SO proud of myself. It was good. We're thinking about going there for T-Day again this year.

http://www.sleuths.com/ you can see the different shows and menus here.

Johnie
08-11-2008, 12:35 AM

Exactly. I am sure we could find somewhere better to go. Perhaps eating at the tea and then the F&WF :yes:

Tink
08-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Argentina used to offer filet at the FWF. :D

PsychoAlice
08-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Whereismyfastpass?

Johnie
08-11-2008, 12:40 AM
:lol: still in the machine

PsychoAlice
08-11-2008, 12:43 AM
that is so not funny.....

Johnie
08-11-2008, 12:44 AM
;) sorry, you could always buy one off Ebay

PsychoAlice
08-11-2008, 12:46 AM
LMAO!!!

uscwest
08-11-2008, 01:01 AM
That is absolutely NOT good news. Filet is the ONLY steak that Donna will eat out. At home every once in a great while she will eat a T-Bone.

Plus it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Dorothy
08-11-2008, 01:20 AM

You can go find an elevator somewhere to stand in line for if you'd like to practice honey :hug2:

luvthemouse
08-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Exactly. I am sure we could find somewhere better to go. Perhaps eating at the tea and then the F&WF :yes:

Works for me!! My meat eating daughter will not be happy about no filet....

SleepinCatz
08-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Sarah hun..put spaces between your words :) LOLOLOL

SleepinCatz
08-11-2008, 02:37 AM
this has got to be some sort of evil rumor set about by chickens to get even with the chik fil a cows....

kazzaqld
08-11-2008, 02:39 AM
this has got to be some sort of evil rumor set about by chickens to get even with the chik fil a cows....

:lol: That's funny!!

I hope it isn't true - I love having filet at WDW and will be most unimpressed if it's gone!

PsychoAlice
08-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Sarah hun..put spaces between your words :) LOLOLOL

LOL Im typing how I am talking...I cant type loud...so I type fast...who needs these pesky spaces anyway?

No time for spaces...

SleepinCatz
08-11-2008, 02:53 AM
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wendy
08-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Oh no :( that will be Chris finished for eating on site. He is not a fish eater at all, well except prawns/shrimps so long as they are peeled for him :lol: he doesn't like his food with clothes on :lol: :lol:

I suppose I might get him to one of the buffets :sigh;

If this is to do with the DDP, why don't they just have a set menu for the DDP :shrug: and leave the main menu alone for people who just pay for what they want :shrug:

Tinkerbell
08-11-2008, 08:30 AM
If I get there this week and find filet mignon/beef tenderloin removed from most of the menu's we are so not gonna be happy bunnies :mad:

I will investigate and report back as much info on this as soon as I can.

I agree if this is because of DDP than have a set menu for that and leave the rest alone :yes:

Debbie2
08-11-2008, 08:59 AM
nooooooooooooooooooo this can't be true but agree it will be down to the DDP!!

lisaw
08-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Oh no :( that will be Chris finished for eating on site. He is not a fish eater at all, well except prawns/shrimps so long as they are peeled for him :lol: he doesn't like his food with clothes on :lol: :lol:

I suppose I might get him to one of the buffets :sigh;

If this is to do with the DDP, why don't they just have a set menu for the DDP :shrug: and leave the main menu alone for people who just pay for what they want :shrug:

That's what I was going to say, if it is a monetary issue (and I suspect it is) - why should people not on the dining plan be penalised for those that are?!

Does anybody know statistics for the DP? What percentage of restaurant users are on it etc? Would be interesting to know.

Slowhand
08-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Has anyone else heard this?

Apparently the filet mignon/beef tenderloin etc. are being taken off the menu as of this weekend, in places like artist point,

Do your source of info. say if the buffalo steaks will still be on the menu at AP Keith?
I sure hope so.

Isafari
08-11-2008, 10:27 AM
I will investigate and report back as much info on this as soon as I can.:

:p015: please do

keith
08-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Im SOOOOOO hoping that it's just people getting confused :/ we'll have to really change our december ADRs if it's true

Wendy
08-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Im SOOOOOO hoping that it's just people getting confused :/ we'll have to really change our december ADRs if it's true

Same here Keith :( the ADRs we have with our friends will be OK because they are all booked with the children in mind, but the ones we have when we are on our own will definitely be cancelled :( when I think to all the trouble I went to convincing Chris to eat on site ................ I could scream :lol: :lol:

SleepinCatz
08-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Perhaps there should be a set menu for those with free dinning. After all I pay for my dinning plans because I'm lazy and don't like to have to set money aside for food at the parks. And for the price I pay I should be able to get what I want when I go.

Beccaberry
08-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm so aggravated right now, I've just phoned them up...not that I'll probably get a straight answer....

Beccaberry
08-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Conversation:

ME: Good morning, I actually don't need to make any ADR's, I believe were all set for upcoming trip...however I was wondering if you could confirm or deny a rumour I heard over the weekend.

CM: I'll certainly try!

ME: I read through a reasonably reliable source that restaurants in Disney World are removing the FM/BT from the menus as of this weekend. Can you confirm or deny this?

CM: LAUGHTER. Lots and lots of laughter.

ME: The thing is, we have an ADR at Le Cellier during our stay and if the FM is no longer there, we may wish to reconsider our ADR.

CM: More laughter. Ma'am, you do understand that Le Cellier is a STEAKHOUSE, right?

ME: Yes ma'am, I do...I'm just trying to be as informed as I can be, so that we don't turn up at the restaurant and get disappointed...do you understand my position.

CM: still giggling.... Absolutely ma'am, but they are a *STEAKHOUSE* I hardly think they could take steak off the menu.

ME: Well there *are* other cuts of meat. But what I hear you saying is that you've not heard anything about it?

CM: No ma'am I haven't

ME: And if it were the case do you think you *would* have been apprised?

CM: I really can't say ma'am. But I've certainly not heard this.

ME: Ok, well thank you for your help.

CM: Yes ma'am and thank you for calling Disney Dining.

I'm not sure I know anything more than before I called. :rolleyes: Maybe I should called Le Cellier direct. Can you do that?

keith
08-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Weeeeelllllllllll I mean, I think I'd probably laugh too TBH :lol:

Thing is, it's Disney and they do daft and completely improbably things now and again :( I'm especially wary that free dining period is upon us and I can totally see them ditching expensive items

I'm SOOOOO hoping the rumour is a load of rubbish though I really am

They couldnt get rid of steak altogether at le cellier or YSH and places like that surely, just the filet cut though, maybe...

We need someone at disney now to take photos of some menus for us so we can see for sure

Tink
08-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Hang in there. I'll be able to check on it shortly. (Not in days, but shortly). :yes:

keith
08-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Hang in there. I'll be able to check on it shortly. (Not in days, but shortly). :yes:

Thanky Tink :D

Beccaberry
08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Exactly....no matter what anyone "says" the proof, is indeed, in the pudding :D

Tink
08-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Or the menu. :wink: :lol:

Beccaberry
08-11-2008, 01:48 PM
WOOHOO. Excellent. How lucky are we to have our very own onsite expert?!!? :D

Tink
08-11-2008, 01:50 PM
No expert by any means, just close enough to check things out from time to time! :D

I wonder if I called the Dining line and asked them if they had information on the menu for Le Cellier? I could "play dumb" and ask what sorts of cuts they had as we were only interested in filet, and if they didn't have it we'd need to find somewhere else to dine? :unsure: Or is that too underhanded? :unsure:

Beccaberry
08-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I don't think it's too underhanded at all...at this point, I'd argue that we are a bit "dumb" in the sense that we *really* don't know if they have filet on the menu.

Beccaberry
08-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Or even just call and and say, "My groups is quite partial to Filet, can you reccommend a restaurant?"

Wendy
08-11-2008, 01:54 PM

:D thank you :hug1:

keith
08-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I reckon they'd say yeah of course it does. We often get completely wrong information from the dining line

Tink
08-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Yes. That's what stopped me. Can't tell you how many times I've called them and been given the wrong info. :rolleyes2:

When I'm down there I'll check the menus. :yes: That should be definitive!

Beccaberry
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
AGREED! If it's marked out with a sharpie, we'll assume the worst :D

Tink
08-11-2008, 02:04 PM
:eek:

Slowhand
08-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Exactly....no matter what anyone "says" the proof, is indeed, in the pudding :D
STEAK in the PUDDING? Yuk! :lol:

Beccaberry
08-11-2008, 02:10 PM
:laugh: :laugh: Not even tapioca?

Rosie0610
08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
I read somewhere that in addition to the DDP killing all the FM from the menus that WDW was gearing up for a beef shortage that will be coming as early as next year. Anyone else hear of this?

I really can't see them taking FM from all the menus starting in August. I can't imagine chefs (and WDW has world renowned chefs) complying with this new "rule". I think they would sooner raise prices or change the DDP to not include some cuts of meat or make you pay extra.

I'm curious to hear how this pans out.

Funny phonecall Beccaberry! :lol: Wonder if they'll put you up for funniest call of the shift??!!

keith
08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
I really can't see them taking FM from all the menus starting in August. I can't imagine chefs (and WDW has world renowned chefs) complying with this new "rule". I think they would sooner raise prices or change the DDP to not include some cuts of meat or make you pay extra.

I just don't know. It seems utterly crazy to me but then again I went to the Callifornia Grill one evening and there was no potato of any kind. No fries, no anything. Everything was on a bed of some vegetable thingy :lol: I asked could I get any kind of baked potato or SOMETHING, nope. ok could I just have the steak without the bed of stuff, No. In the end I said could you tell the chef I have some allergies please knowing he'd come out and chat about it. He (dont know if he was head chef or not) came out and really did a whole number about moving to a healthy menu knowing they'd lose some people along the way but that was just how it was. The next time of course, everything was back on the menu. So I don't discount the possibility that they'd do something as stupid as removing the most popular thing on the menu

I can be as snobby and obstinate as the next person, but a LONG time ago I decided that I'd give up having my food/drink according to any set out ritual and if I want my steak nuked with a side order of fries covered in salt then that's how I want it thank you very much. I may even have a glass of WHITE wine with the steak *shock* :lol:

In other words, all this "change for your own good" thing really annoys me

Taja
08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Yikes! This could be the nail in my already shakey November/December WDW visit--not to mention future visits! :eek:

Looking forward to Tink's report--and Nicki's, as she'll be there soon.

Like Keith, I'm a very picky eater. I don't like foods mixed together and I frequently dislike the way veggies are prepared at restaurants. A fillet & baked potato usually are pretty safe! WDW already has changed the menus at most of their TS restaurants to favour those who like more highly seasoned foods, essentially locking out those of us with simpler tastes.

At the rate it's going, WDW just might remove itself from my vacation sites in the future!

Tink
08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes. I want what I want when I want it the way I want it when I go out to dinner! :lol:

If I want fried oysters, then I'll have them please. If I want my tuna COOKED and not fashionably seared only, then COOK the blasted stuff!

I'm not a neanderthal when it comes to food, thank you, but I know what I want and how I want it prepared!

Do not force your opinion down my throat. :wink:

Tinkerbell
08-11-2008, 06:48 PM
We need someone at disney now to take photos of some menus for us so we can see for sure

Can you give me a day or 2? :lol:

I will report back live for Secrets News asap :)

keith
08-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Can you give me a day or 2? :lol:

I will report back live for Secrets News asap :)

YAYAYAYAYA

"This is Tinkerbell reporting from Disney, for Secrets News. Goodnight"

Don't forget to practise in case we get a studio setup and a live feed :lol:

Tinkerbell
08-11-2008, 08:25 PM
:lol: I've always wanted to be a newsreader

Shellyamc
08-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow..umm..Disney is really starting to freak me out with this stuff. Why don't they care about us anymore :sigh;

keith
08-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Wow..umm..Disney is really starting to freak me out with this stuff. Why don't they care about us anymore :sigh;

Wellllll this one still isnt proven. Im still hoping that it's totally false

...but I think they just feel that they can push up the prices, reduce the benefits and if people still come then great way more money! If people don't then they can pull things back a bit :rolleyes008:

Mags
08-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh, the very thought of no filet mignon at Le Cellier!! Nooooooooo.............

Margaret

keith
08-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh, the very thought of no filet mignon at Le Cellier!! Nooooooooo.............

Margaret

yeah I mean it just couldnt happen really, it's be crazy. That kinda does make me think that the story is based on a few people overreacting

Isafari
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
yeah I mean it just couldnt happen really, it's be crazy. That kinda does make me think that the story is based on a few people overreacting

I hope so.....otherwise I will be cancelling our ADR we have there and eating offsite. Not going to mention it to DH until we get a positive report....this is the one place he chose to eat at and specifically for the filet mignon.

PsychoAlice
08-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Can I get that to go?

I have a ride to ride...

uscwest
08-12-2008, 01:35 AM
It was still on the menu at YSH, JIKO and Citrico's in early July.

keith
08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
It was still on the menu at YSH, JIKO and Citrico's in early July.

The rumour was that they were being withdrawn starting this last weekend just before free dining.

...but still no real confirmation so still possible it's just someone overreacting

Johnie
08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
So, I tell Alysia about this rumor last night and she says, "Le Cellier is a STEAKHOUSE" :lol:

keith
08-12-2008, 12:05 PM
So, I tell Alysia about this rumor last night and she says, "Le Cellier is a STEAKHOUSE" :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Beccaberry
08-12-2008, 12:57 PM

Well then apparently, that qualifies her to be a CM. Congraulations Alysia.

The rumour was that they were being withdrawn starting this last weekend just before free dining.

Although I did read a few reports (a food and leisure site, not a Disney site) that said they noticed it gone from the menu over a month ago....

keith
08-12-2008, 12:58 PM

:lol: :lol:

Johnie
08-12-2008, 02:42 PM

:p I think she may be a bit overqualified for that position. Apparently you can't know anything about Disney to be a CM.

keith
08-12-2008, 11:32 PM
from various rumours, so far:
Kona= Gone
Captain's Grille= Gone
Citricos= Gone

Jiko= Still there
Yachtsman= Still there

Tepan Edo= Gone, but there is apparently sirloin.

We'll have to wait till a few more people visit some more restaurants to build up a picture

Beccaberry
08-12-2008, 11:59 PM
No word then yet on Le Cel?

:sigh:

Thanks for the update

uscwest
08-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Don't think I would worry just yet about Citrico's as their menu is constantly changing anyway.

Tink
08-13-2008, 12:58 AM
Uh oh. Uh oh. Citrico's gone? Oh that's not good. That is so not good that it's terrible. Damn.

Wendy
08-13-2008, 07:34 AM
It's not looking good :sigh;

I wonder if it will be back on the menu after free dining ends :shrug:

PsychoAlice
08-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Ive been in the same line for 2 days....Im starting to feel like a cow....

hehe

Slowhand
08-13-2008, 11:36 AM
We'll have to wait till a few more people visit some more restaurants to build up a picture
I`ll check them out in September Keith.
Can I claim the cost of the meals on expenses? :lol:

keith
08-13-2008, 12:07 PM
I`ll check them out in September Keith.
Can I claim the cost of the meals on expenses? :lol:

erm [ looks around for the nearest exit ] :lol:

Taja
08-13-2008, 01:04 PM
If availability is based on the DDP, having filet available at YHS makes sense. It's 2 TS credits.

I don't particularly like it, but it makes sense.

Tinkerbell
08-21-2008, 10:01 PM
No word then yet on Le Cel?

:sigh:

Thanks for the update

Still on Le Cel menu today August 21st :p015:

We're at Citricos soon, will report back.

keith
08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Still on Le Cel menu today August 21st :p015:

We're at Citricos soon, will report back.

YAYA Thats excellent news thanks :D

Johnie
08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Yeah! Thanks for the live report!!

Isafari
08-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks Nicki......didn't tell DH it may have been coming off the menu...maybe I won't have to :fingers:

Tinker
08-22-2008, 12:39 AM
This is indeed good news . Thanks Nicki .
Slowhand I LoVVVVVVVVVe the Buffalo steak at AP . Yum !

uscwest
08-22-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm hearing that it is only off at single TS restaurants but still on at the signatures.

Tinker
08-22-2008, 01:16 AM
just going to confirm the same thing , I spoke with my friend thats a waitress at HS and she said filets have been removed from the 1 TS meals except for Le Celiers . They have not been removed from signature dining .
Now another tidbit of bad news is that Le Celier will be going to 2 TS's next year during the FDDP . Just a rumour for now But ... Why does that not surprise me !
She stated people took advantage of the free dining plan .

Tink
08-22-2008, 02:02 AM
I don't see it as a guest issue at all. Disney set up the program, sold the program and put no limits on it. Now the guests have to pay for the poor design of Disney's programs? Nope. Not buying it. No pun intended.

Tinker
08-22-2008, 02:41 AM
I'm just the messenger and that Disney has to put the blame somewhere for their loss rather than their gain . As they say ... Don't Shoot The Messenger ! LOL

Tink
08-22-2008, 03:10 AM
It doesn't have anything to do with what you posted. I'm directing my comments toward Disney's decision to change the program yet again.

Tinker
08-22-2008, 04:38 AM
you do realize my comment was me :gy: I understand , I'm upset by it too . And this came from other employees , not my friend . I can't say what she thinks of her employer . :rolleyes008:

disneymom
08-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks Tinker thats interesting rumours

Slowhand
08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Slowhand I LoVVVVVVVVVe the Buffalo steak at AP . Yum !

Yep, AP is one of the few on-site restaurants we visit where we know exactly what we are going to eat before we get there! [No need to look at the menu :p015:]
In my home town on the first Saturday of each month there is a "Farmers Market" and I always make a bee line for one particular stall where they sell buffalo steaks, burgers & sausages etc. Sadly they are not the American buffalo [bison] as per at AP, but they are water buffalo...those with the large horns and are found in Africa. Nevertheless they are very tasty and low in cholesteral and fat as per the bison meat. [Now you`ve got my taste buds going Tinker! :lol:]

Tinker
08-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Now see that I'll just have to plan another trip down . LOL We are only at WDW 4 nights and AP is sadly not on the agenda .
We would love to catch up and see you two .

uscwest
08-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Yep, AP is one of the few on-site restaurants we visit where we know exactly what we are going to eat before we get there! [No need to look at the menu :p015:]
In my home town on the first Saturday of each month there is a "Farmers Market" and I always make a bee line for one particular stall where they sell buffalo steaks, burgers & sausages etc. Sadly they are not the American buffalo [bison] as per at AP, but they are water buffalo...those with the large horns and are found in Africa. Nevertheless they are very tasty and low in cholesteral and fat as per the bison meat. [Now you`ve got my taste buds going Tinker! :lol:]And they are quite tasty. :p015: