PDA

View Full Version : What was/is river country?

eeyoreguy
11-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Ive been reading about it and it seems like it was a water park? where was it and is it still open ?

Tink
11-08-2008, 11:31 AM
It was a lovely water park out at Fort Wilderness. It was the first one, I believe.

It has been closed because it used the lake water and it ran into serious trouble trying to clear the Department of Health's codes. In Florida when the water temperature reaches 80 or higher it breeds an amoeba that is quite dangerous (can be deadly if it enters your body) and they just couldn't regulate the growth of bacteria, etc.

So, they had to close it. It's been closed for several years now. :yes:

Skywatcher
11-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Its a shame as it was, at times an oasis of calm - very different from the other water parks

keith
11-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I never got a chance to see it but wish I had. I've been on a couple of boat tours around the outside and it looks like a serene location.

There have been reports for years that it'll get used for something new but :/

Tink
11-08-2008, 11:40 AM
I doubt that you will see any lake water in the Disney area be used for sports that involve people actually getting into the water. It's not just the amoebas, but the bacteria alone is murder to control, then there are always our friends, the 'gators to contend with.

"If it's a body of water and it's in Florida, there WILL be a 'gator in it."

Then of course, there are our LOVELY friends the water moccasins. :eek: (Cottonmouths to go by another name). :eek:

keith
11-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Then of course, there are our LOVELY friends the water moccasins. :eek: (Cottonmouths to go by another name). :eek:

yeah shudder, fascinated by snakes and love taking photos close as I can get :D but not cottonmouths, not after the time that one went wild at a demo and attacked anything it could see

Grammiepo
11-08-2008, 11:49 AM
The water park was kind of based on Tom Sawyer, where he might go swimming, swam there in 1976, lots of wonderful memorys.

keith
11-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Dont suppose anyone has any photos?

Dizneyblonde
11-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Here's an old map

http://www.exploreorlandoflorida.com/images/DisneyMaps/disney-world-river-country-.jpg

Claire
11-08-2008, 02:44 PM
We very nearly went there in 1988 but changed our minds at the last minute and went to Wet & Wild instead. I've always regretted that decision. :(

Tink
11-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Went wild, Keith? :eek: Where was that? :eek:

Yes, I've never been, but family went and they talk about it to this day. It was a much loved water park.

Taja
11-08-2008, 02:52 PM
River Country is one of only two water parks that I've ever visited. The other is Big Surf, here in the Valley of the Sun.

Almost didn't go to River Country in 1981, but MK was the only park, and by my third day I was ready for something different. I figured I already was hot and sticky, so I might as well get wet! :lol:

Thoroughly enjoyed it--and completely surprised myself!