PDA

View Full Version : Pocket camera question

wdwgrandma
18-06-2012, 04:04 PM
I know, to all you excellent photographers, that this may come as a travesty... But after years of lugging around a heavy camera bag, my shoulder decided to protest and now insists that I get one of those convenient light-weight little cameras that you can slide into a pocket or will fit easily into the small Disney over-the-shoulder bag where I keep my inhaler, phone, and room key. So I thought that maybe I should ask one of you camera experts what you would recommend. Obviously I don't want to give up photo quality (I realize it won't be the same...). But I would like a camera that offers different "scene" functions, has decent optical zoom, etc. So, what would any of you suggest? By the way, I also do not want to have to mortgage my home or sell my youngest child to buy this thing... Under $400 would be great, if possible.

Thanks a bunch!

Shellyamc
18-06-2012, 04:17 PM
I am not a wonderful picture taker by any stretch of the imagination, but we have a little Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 and I love it! It is the little camera we use for the everyday stuff and taking to the park etc. and it has never failed us yet :yes: It is easily small enough to be tucked in a pocket or purse and is within your $400 budget. Ours has a 12x zoom, but I know my Dad has a very similar one with a 25x Zoom. Just depends on what you are looking for :)

wdwgrandma
18-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your input! When I go out looking, I'll be sure to check it out! I really have no idea what to buy. But I have a couple of months before I have to really worry about it. So I figured that would give me some time to ask around.

DisneyFreak
18-06-2012, 04:42 PM
We absolutely love our Sony Cybershot. I can't remember the exact model off hand but we got it on sale for $180 and it's the perfect little camera.

foreverducky
18-06-2012, 04:53 PM
I have the canon s95 and it's FABULOUS! It takes create pictures and has plenty of scenes (I play with those too).

catrancher
18-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Donna,

I'm a fan of weatherproof for this type of thing. You never know when you're going to get caught out in the rain. I'm also a fan of both Nikon and Canon cameras. Given that here's two that I think fill the bill nicely:

Canon Powershot D10 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/605229-REG/Canon_3508B001_PowerShot_D10_Digital_Camera.html) - I've got this one. And while it's a few years old, it still serves me well. It's waterproof up to about 10ft so if I'm snorkeling on Castaway Cay, I can take photos. It also does video. I've been quite pleased with it. Oop - just saw where Canon has replaced the D10. Now it's the D20. Here's it's specs (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842880-REG/Canon_6145B001_PowerShot_D20_Digital_Camera.html).
Nikon Coolpix AW100 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818679-REG/Nikon_26290_Coolpix_AW100_Waterproof_Digital.html) - Pretty much same as above but from Nikon. Although it is a newer camera than the Canon. It does have some neat features that the Canon doesn't have. More pixels, GPS capability, better zoom.

If I had it to do over again today, I'd probably get the Nikon. But the Canon has been perfectly serviceable.

Tom (:macwave:... small and light is good...)

wdwgrandma
18-06-2012, 04:57 PM
We absolutely love our Sony Cybershot. I can't remember the exact model off hand but we got it on sale for $180 and it's the perfect little camera.

I'm currently shooting a Sony and from what I've read, their little pocket cameras use the same batteries, SD cards, and charger as the Sony I'm using. So that might be convenient...

wdwgrandma
18-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Donna,

I'm a fan of weatherproof for this type of thing. You never know when you're going to get caught out in the rain. I'm also a fan of both Nikon and Canon cameras. Given that here's two that I think fill the bill nicely:

Canon Powershot D10 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/605229-REG/Canon_3508B001_PowerShot_D10_Digital_Camera.html) - I've got this one. And while it's a few years old, it still serves me well. It's waterproof up to about 10ft so if I'm snorkeling on Castaway Cay, I can take photos. It also does video. I've been quite pleased with it. Oop - just saw where Canon has replaced the D10. Now it's the D20. Here's it's specs (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842880-REG/Canon_6145B001_PowerShot_D20_Digital_Camera.html).
Nikon Coolpix AW100 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818679-REG/Nikon_26290_Coolpix_AW100_Waterproof_Digital.html) - Pretty much same as above but from Nikon. Although it is a newer camera than the Canon. It does have some neat features that the Canon doesn't have. More pixels, GPS capability, better zoom.

If I had it to do over again today, I'd probably get the Nikon. But the Canon has been perfectly serviceable.

Tom (:macwave:... small and light is good...)

Both of those have possibilities... And they are within the price range. I shot Nikons for years before switching to my current Sony and I've always loved them. No experience with Canon, however...

wdwgrandma
18-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I have the canon s95 and it's FABULOUS! It takes create pictures and has plenty of scenes (I play with those too).

Wow... You guys aren't making this easy for me, are you???? LOL

catrancher
30-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Did you ever decide what to get Donna? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... now in the market for a new one since his Canon D10 died this morning... :mad:)

keith
30-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I TRULY love the Olympus OM-D EM-5.... it's a small camera but still has interchangeable lenses and quality wise, it's up there with DSLRs (and indeed better than the best SLRs from only a couple of years ago!).

It's small, fast, VERY configurable, has artistic transforms like pinhole, dark and grainy etc all built in.

It also has a wonderful image stabilisation built into the camera itself so all lenses benefit from that and you can therefore use it at a lot slower speeds without getting camera shake.

Overall it's the most fun, capable small camera I've ever used.

It is however.... not cheap :(

wdwgrandma
30-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Did you ever decide what to get Donna? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... now in the market for a new one since his Canon D10 died this morning... :mad:)

Sorry bout your Canon... No I haven't decided yet. Been researching though. I really need to get out and hold some- play with them a bit.

Skywatcher
01-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Lisa has a Panasonic lumix which
Is excellent. Superb optical zoom

Wendy
01-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I TRULY love the Olympus OM-D EM-5.... it's a small camera but still has interchangeable lenses and quality wise, it's up there with DSLRs (and indeed better than the best SLRs from only a couple of years ago!).

:unsure: are you sure you got the spelling correct :unsure: normally anything to do with cameras is spelt C a n o n :whistle:

keith
01-07-2012, 07:02 PM
:unsure: are you sure you got the spelling correct :unsure: normally anything to do with cameras is spelt C a n o n :whistle:

:taunt:

Wendy
01-07-2012, 07:05 PM
:taunt:

What??????????? :angel:

Tink
02-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I saw that Wendy. I think our Slowhand logged in under Keith's name. ;) (I know, he's more of a Nikon person, but that's the only explanation I could come up with).

catrancher
02-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Broke down yesterday and ordered the Nikon AW100. I'll let you know how it is when it gets here. :thumbsup:

11884.vB

To be perfectly honest, I probably don't need an underwater camera. But so often, I've gotten caught out in a rainstorm and end up having to scramble to cover my camera while I personally get soaked, that I thought it would be nice for a change to not care so much if the camera gets wet while I stay a bit dryer. And the shock resistance is kind of nice since I'm always banging things about.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Tom (:macwave:... irritated with Canon!)

keith
02-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I saw that Wendy. I think our Slowhand logged in under Keith's name. ;) (I know, he's more of a Nikon person, but that's the only explanation I could come up with).

Right..... for larger cameras, DSLRs, I like canon and nikon. Both are great now, you cant go wrong with either brand :) I prefer the way canon works so tend to get those in preference

For smaller cameras, I LOVE Leica but theyre not always appropriate for all circumstances

canon/nikon do some great little ones... the canon s100 for example, brill

however, I like to go one step larger and be able to swap lenses... so the olympus om-d is superb but so is the Sony NEX 5/7 :yes: in fact theyre so good, you can nowadays do without a dslr

Wendy
02-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Oo-errr, we've been told Tink :lol: :wink:

Watchinherskip
02-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Broke down yesterday and ordered the Nikon AW100. I'll let you know how it is when it gets here. :thumbsup:

To be perfectly honest, I probably don't need an underwater camera. But so often, I've gotten caught out in a rainstorm and end up having to scramble to cover my camera while I personally get soaked, that I thought it would be nice for a change to not care so much if the camera gets wet while I stay a bit dryer. And the shock resistance is kind of nice since I'm always banging things about.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Tom (:macwave:... irritated with Canon!)

Hey Tom,
I am on the fence between that and the Lumix version. I whitewater kayak and it would be awesome to be able to just pull the camera out of my pfd rather than my old camera from the otter box under the kayak skirt. I like the GPS feature and the ability to geotag the images in the metadata. Only concern is reduced battery life when using GPS. I have heard it is best with these all in ones to get another battery and take it with you.

Dan

OBTW...did you get it in black? Looking at that cool red one!

Watchinherskip
02-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Right..... for larger cameras, DSLRs, I like canon and nikon. Both are great now, you cant go wrong with either brand :) I prefer the way canon works so tend to get those in preference

For smaller cameras, I LOVE Leica but theyre not always appropriate for all circumstances

canon/nikon do some great little ones... the canon s100 for example, brill

however, I like to go one step larger and be able to swap lenses... so the olympus om-d is superb but so is the Sony NEX 5/7 :yes: in fact theyre so good, you can nowadays do without a dslr

The Nikon 1 is similar yes? I think aside from their high price, my biggest gripe with the lot is that they usually only have a screen and you are not able to compose through a view finder. My old cheapie Fuji takes great pictures (for what it is) AND it has an eyepiece (ok, it is a smaller screen in a viewfinder) but I prefer that. I am holding off on the Nikon and Lumix underwater cameras for the same reason. Hard to compose in bright sunlight because screens can't hold up to glare.

If I am going to spend money of a DSLR...I think I want that over the newish interchangeable ones.

keith
02-07-2012, 02:49 PM
my biggest gripe with the lot is that they usually only have a screen and you are not able to compose through a view finder.

This is another positive for the olympus om-d, it has a great viewfinder built in as well as the screen :yes:

catrancher
02-07-2012, 03:13 PM
OBTW...did you get it in black? Looking at that cool red one!

Yep. Got black. You sure wouldn't lose that red/orange one. You could find that if you were blind. :shocked:

We'll see how it goes. I just wanted something quick and easy that I can pull out of my pocket/case and take quick snapshots with. While I've got my iPhone, I find that there's enough of a shutter delay with it to be annoying. Especially when I'm trying to take pictures of my grandkids while they're "squirming".

If it doesn't work out, well... I've still got my DSLR.

Tom (:macwave:... I'll try anything 6 or 8 times...)

keith
02-07-2012, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=catrancher;284313 While I've got my iPhone, I find that there's enough of a shutter delay with it to be annoying. [/QUOTE]

yeah so true.

I love having a camera in the phone thats just about good enough to be usable but the lag all the way round kills me :(

I really dont know why they cant fix that

Apparently the iphone 5 isnt due to have a dedicated camera button still which I think would be a good idea

catrancher
02-07-2012, 03:31 PM
yeah so true.

I love having a camera in the phone thats just about good enough to be usable but the lag all the way round kills me :(

I really dont know why they cant fix that

Apparently the iphone 5 isnt due to have a dedicated camera button still which I think would be a good idea

You betcha! :yes:

If you're going to give me functionality, at least make sure it's useable. Sure, I can use my iPhone if I wanted to snap a photo of a parked car. But if I'm trying to get anything that's moving, you can just about forget it.

That's really the only reason I want or need a dedicated pocket point and shoot camera.

Tom (:macwave:... picky, picky, picky...)

Skywatcher
02-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Pretty sure Lisa's has a Leica lens... Love the fact I can actually put it into Av mode or a version of it

She has a DMC-tz18

keith
02-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Pretty sure Lisa's has a Leica lens... Love the fact I can actually put it into Av mode or a version of it

She has a DMC-tz18

yep panasonic and Leica have a deal going.... leica often specify lenses for panasonic and panasonic make the bodies for the cheaper leica cameras (albeit leica sometimes make changes)

Mike
03-07-2012, 08:32 AM
11891.vB

I took all the pics in New York with this camera - Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ19. I've had it about a year, and use it for work. It has been superceded now, but by similar sized models, and I can say I've been very impressed. Nice, wide angle range, lots of settings to play with, or pure auto. Here's a review:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_tz19_review/

Johnie
03-07-2012, 01:27 PM
I have a Panasonic Lumix. It's fantastic and has a wonderful optical zoom. I like being able to put it in my pocket

Watchinherskip
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Had a Lumix, recently died but when it worked it took great photos. I got it in 2006 so it held up pretty well. FWIW I really like the design of that camera Mike.

catrancher
04-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Well, the AW100 has arrived. Give me a bit to have a play and I'll come back and post my thoughts. :camera:

In the meantime, here's a video review someone else did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-fkq8wwikQ

Tom (:macwave:... this is probably the best button to push.)

wdwgrandma
04-07-2012, 06:16 PM
I know I started this thread and I still haven't chosen a camera... but I did go to Walmart the other day to pick up party supplies for Mom's 79th birthday party. While we were there I headed back to the camera section. Thay didn't have the biggest selection but I did see a few. Wow! I didn't realize HOW small they actually are! I'll hit Best Buy when I get home.

wdwgrandma
09-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Went into Best Buy thinking I knew what camera to buy - until I saw where the flash was placed. Why on earth did they place the pop up flash right where I put the index finger of my left hand? I've always held my cameras that way and now they've put the flash in a very unhandy place! And it's not just that way on the camera I was looking at. Several companies have gone that route...

Do any of you have cameras with a flash that pops up from the top on the left side, and how do you manage it? I can just see me forgetting and breaking the flash.....

keith
09-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Do any of you have cameras with a flash that pops up from the top on the left side, and how do you manage it? I can just see me forgetting and breaking the flash.....

yep I have a couple that do it :( and the first I know is when I feel it under my finger and normally hear a grind as it tries to pop the flash but fails.

Some of the cameras are ok, you push it down again and then move your finger and let it pop up. Others REALLY dont like it and need a switch off/on to fix it.

A few have broken over the years, they just get stuck and wont move back up/down and thats a repair job.

So yeah, if thats where you hold the camera, that's probably not one for you

foreverducky
09-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I think this flash pop up problem is a problem with many of the small cameras. My canon, that I mentioned, is like that, but to be honest, I wouldn't trade it for another camera (that must say something, right?!). At least with the big cameras there is usually a designated hand and fingers placement area. Just to share, mine will go up a little and then I'm like, "oh yeah, move my finger." However, I don't take many flash photos as it's great in low light.

Watchinherskip
09-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Went into Best Buy thinking I knew what camera to buy - until I saw where the flash was placed. Why on earth did they place the pop up flash right where I put the index finger of my left hand? I've always held my cameras that way and now they've put the flash in a very unhandy place! And it's not just that way on the camera I was looking at. Several companies have gone that route...

Donna, the flash on my Fuji is like that. It is sort of spring loaded so even if you were to get your hands in the way, nothing would happen to damage the camera. Not sure if it that durable, I mean springs will eventually konk out, but it has been going strong for around 7 years (oh my gosh....it HAS been that long...me thinks me needs a new camera!):tongue:

Watchinherskip
09-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Well, the AW100 has arrived. Give me a bit to have a play and I'll come back and post my thoughts. :camera:

In the meantime, here's a video review someone else did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-fkq8wwikQ

Tom (:macwave:... this is probably the best button to push.)

So..Tom, what is the verdict??? Inquiring minds wish to know.:yes:

catrancher
09-07-2012, 02:14 PM
So..Tom, what is the verdict??? Inquiring minds wish to know.:yes:

Dan,

Haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it yet. From the little bit I have had a chance to mess around with, I kind of like it. I'll get some test shots and stuff in the next week or so and get them up. Right now though I'm too overwhelmed with work stuff to be able to do much experimentation.

Tom (:macwave:... busy, busy, busy...)

Watchinherskip
09-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Fair enough Tom, thanks. I was also wondering about battery life with the GPS engaged. SO if you could, would you let me know about that as well?

catrancher
09-07-2012, 03:22 PM
SO if you could, would you let me know about that as well?

Will do Dan! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... all charged up!)

Watchinherskip
18-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Tom any chance you got an opportunity to test the Nikon? Would love to see what you thought. Picture quality? Battery life with the GPS enabled? Ease of operation/controls?

catrancher
18-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Tom any chance you got an opportunity to test the Nikon? Would love to see what you thought. Picture quality? Battery life with the GPS enabled? Ease of operation/controls?

I've gotten just a bit of time to play with it Dan. Although haven't had time to test the GPS functionality. So far however, I'm impressed with its ease of use. I finally found a camera that has a menu structure that makes it relatively easy to switch between the various "scene" modes. Haven't gotten out to take much in the way of pictures yet. I did get to try the "panorama" mode on it the other day however just at dawn. Worked pretty cool. Here's the pic:

12012.vB

In this mode, you hold down the shutter button and start turning. It's got a little indicator to tell you how many degrees you've turned. You can do either 180 or 360 in this particular mode. This one was 180 degrees just standing at the end of my driveway. There's a different panorama mode on it also that I think gives you more choices. But I didn't get a chance to play with that one.

Also got a chance to quickly play with the video recording. Works pretty well. Here's an unlisted Youtube video I shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5WEaWdncU

Early morning as the sun was coming up. Sorry about the garbage cans. What can I say? It was trash day. The videos actually quite a bit darker on Youtube that it was as it came out of the camera. On my computer, it's pretty good.

I've only got two complaints about the camera so far.

First, it feels kind of plasticy if you know what I mean. In an outdoor, all weather, underwater camera, that may not be a bad thing. But my old Canon D10 was metal and felt like you had a hunk of something in your hand. This doesn't feel that way.
The other complaint so far is that the video zoom is kind of noisy. You can hear the motor and the pop on the video. No real big deal. Just a minor annoyance.

Eventually, I'll get enough time to try to really test it out. Just kind of hard to fit in when you're taking out the garbage. :shocked:

Tom (:macwave:... all told, I think I'm going to like it!)

Watchinherskip
18-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey thanks Tom. It is on my short list of cameras. Also thinking about the Lumix waterproof one, as well as the old Canon model.

catrancher
18-07-2012, 07:42 PM
as well as the old Canon model.

I liked my old Canon D10 but I gotta warn you. :stormmad:

I only had it in the water one time. At Castaway Cay. Didn't go deep or anything. Just some video around the beach. Washed it off in clean water back on the ship. Dried it off and put it back in it's case. Came home and put it away. The next time I went to get it out, I had the dreaded "lens error, restart camera" message. Turns out that somehow the lens motor gets corroded and no longer works. It means a complete replacement. That's why I bought the Nikon. I didn't want to spend as much to get the D10 fixed as it would have cost to go ahead and get the Nikon. See all the complaints about the same thing at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Beware-renders-camera-unusable-unlucky/forum/Fx2RJ8Y4QP3OZSF/Tx15TNMBI00GX04/1/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B001SER460).

Tom (:macwave:... after you've got the camera is not the time to find these things out!)

wdwgrandma
18-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Donna, the flash on my Fuji is like that. It is sort of spring loaded so even if you were to get your hands in the way, nothing would happen to damage the camera. Not sure if it that durable, I mean springs will eventually konk out, but it has been going strong for around 7 years (oh my gosh....it HAS been that long...me thinks me needs a new camera!):tongue:

Well, that's good news. I could see me breaking it first time out!

Wendy
18-07-2012, 09:46 PM
So, have you made a decision yet :D

wdwgrandma
19-07-2012, 10:27 AM
So, have you made a decision yet :D

Yeah, I think I have. I'm going to buy one this weekend. I'll tell you all about it once I have it!

Watchinherskip
19-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Great Donna, can't wait to hear about your purchase.

wdwgrandma
20-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Got it!!!!!

Wendy
20-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Got it!!!!!

So what did you get :D

wdwgrandma
21-07-2012, 11:53 PM
I got a Sony Cybershot HX20V. Not the tiniest pocket camera but it uses the same storage media and batteries as my other Sony. That is helpful. It has a 20x optical zoom, shoots HD movies, has GPS.... fits in my little purse... you know- the important stuff. Oh! And 18.2 mega pixels.

Watchinherskip
23-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Very cool Donna....looks like a lot of features in a fairly small camera. Way to go.

wdwgrandma
23-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Very cool Donna....looks like a lot of features in a fairly small camera. Way to go.

It may not have been the best or cheapest option, but it was practical. I already know Sony cameras and have batteries and memory sticks.

BUTTERHEAD1
23-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Looks like a great camera, I have used a Sony camera for the last 7-8 years and loved it. I am on vacation down the Jersey Shore right now and left my camera home so I went to Best Buy and picked a Lumix- display model on the cheap and so far so good. Good luck and have fun with your camera Donna

catrancher
23-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Good for you Donna! I bet you'll enjoy that! :yes:

For anybody who's still on the fence, I saw just today where Canon has introduced their EOS-M mirrorless system (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m).

A little pricey (ok, a lot) but looks quite nice.

Tom (:macwave:... but I'll stick with my DSLR in that range!)

keith
23-07-2012, 06:35 PM
yeah Im not sure I'd go for the canon eos-m, as you say, a little close to the dslr :/ needs to be seen I guess

This tiny Sony is getting amazing previews though http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscrx100

catrancher
23-07-2012, 06:44 PM
dpreview.com

I 12053.vB dpreview. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... well... I do!)

wdwgrandma
23-07-2012, 11:25 PM
yeah Im not sure I'd go for the canon eos-m, as you say, a little close to the dslr :/ needs to be seen I guess

This tiny Sony is getting amazing previews though http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscrx100

Ouch! And I thought I spent too much...