PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday. Again.

Tink
22-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Seriously. It's nearing the end of June. How can that possibly be? The year is half over! I'm astonished.

We've had a week of it, haven't we? A beloved Grandfather has been lost. A new baby has been born! A birthday here and there, personal successes, personal challenges. We've had goats to the table, and the Queen eating corn on the cob, been to NYC, seen the Miami Heat win the championship, had old friends return to our site, and the wedding cake progresses. The circle of life, and the events of every day. It's what we are made of, isn't it?

Not sure what the weekend holds for us, but it needs to have some level of relaxation built in. Maybe I'll do something thrilling like clean the garage in preparation for a "garage sale." :shrug: Who knows? I know we've collected all manner of useful things that we don't need so getting rid of them would be beneficial.

The great camera purchase of 2012 is still in the offing. We are still considering the Rebel EOS Ti3, but then Herself is making sounds about the newest one, the Ti4... :unsure: We'll deliberate until we've driven one another mad and then probably buy something we've not even yet discussed. :lol: That's our way, don't you know?

Work. :sigh: What more is there to say other than stress? Always a new problem to solve, always a staff member who is problematic, always a resident issue to address (some are so heartbreaking) always a new regulation to adjust to and put into effect. And with the advent of summer, longer time in the car due to increased traffic. Last night it took me 2 1/2 hours to get home. :( Summer rain doesn't help either. Always looking for someone to add to the team who is dedicated to good service to the elderly. Sure wish there were more people out there who were.

The pool is looking good. :) Haven't yet been in it this year, but we need to start having our "by the pool" dinners and weekend relaxers.

Always and forever grateful for each one of you. This site is a haven, a luxury to come to and be among good and decent people who share their friendship so warmly. It makes every difference in the world to have this group of people in my life. I remember a time, long ago now thankfully, when we were not all together. No other site has ever brought together such a wonderful bunch of people who truly care about one another. Thank each and every one of you for being here! This site is a true haven from the ugliness of the world and the internet venom that exits "out there."

So, how was your week, and what does your weekend hold in store?

Wendy
22-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Wow, Tink has all that really happened in one week :hug2: I wish I had your way with words :hug2:

It is truly wonderful here, much warmer and friendlier and without "silliness" that is seen in other places.

Well you all know what I've been doing this week, making things for the cake and trying to cut my foot off :lol: Hopefully today and next week will be better.

We need to go into town tomorrow and then I'm fully expecting Chris to be working :sigh: He has a lot on at the moment and he is away 2 days next week and on leave on Friday so he really needs to try and catch up.

On Sunday we are going to Exeter to see our friends. Charlotte was 18 yesterday and thre is a family BBQ (if the rain holds off :fingers: ) in the afternoon/evening. I'm looking forward to seeing them, it's been a few weeks since we were up there.

Tink
22-06-2012, 09:24 AM
18? I cannot believe that! The insistence of time, eh? :sigh:

Wendy
22-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I know, boy do I feel old :lol: I dread to think what her parents must feel like :lol: Annabel is 16 next week and Livvy is 9 in August - my little princess is growing up and getting cheekier :sigh:

Britchick
22-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Sniff ... I'm all emotional now. As Wendy says Tink you put everything so eloquently. I wish too that we could find people that show care for our Elders. I think it is a true privilege.

Not much happening here today, we were out last night with friends and am nursing a bit of a hangover! Well that and a frozen shoulder, ouch due to decorating this week. Off to London tomorrow on the train with the family for a birthday treat. Think we're going to hit the science museum, they have a new exhibit about and also a guy who was a pioneer in early computing and breaking code at Bletchley Park in WW2. Then on to Laduree for the best Macaroons on the planet, 3 rose, 3 salted caramel. Who knows from there!

Have a great weekend everyone :hug2:

Slowhand
22-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Nicely put Tink, and you echo my sentiments about this site and its members completely. :yes:

Not a lot to report about my movements this weekend apart from my dashing about like a headless chicken getting things sorted before our vacation next week.....buying a couple of small gifts for Ricardo & his DW, mowing our grass [a 4 hour job...yuck], sorting out a mountain of paperwork that has amassed in my filing tray, doing my packing, making an information file to take on vacation, sending several emails etc.etc..
I reckon that I`ll need a holiday after all this has been sorted. :lol:

Mike
22-06-2012, 10:45 AM
First week back at work, so it's been a long one, and sadly as I normally work 6 days (damn this recession!) I'm in tomorrow and won't be letting my hair down tonight.

So: my weekend - work until about 2pm, try to escape from the local area then without getting stuck in the Olympic torch relay which is 'conveniently' passing through the town at lunch/early afternoon. Go to Tesco, go home, help Amanda with the housework (she'll be off to her Grandad's in the morning to cut his hair and hug him, as her Gran died while we were on holiday in new York (actually on Amanda's birthday, which is either extra sad, or a bit sweet, I can't decide yet). Hopefully we'll be done by 5pm or so, and then we can start our usual, short weekend: a good dinner - I cook - and then, given the weather forecast, a night in with mucho vino and a DVD!

Sunday is our hiking day - we'll probably stay local, as it will be raining in all likelihood, and do a 10 - 15 mile wander around the moors and hills near us in Lancashire. If it is fine, we might head off to the Yorkshire dales or the Lake District and climb a mountain or two. Home mid pm, long soak together in our spa bath, with added vino, then repeat of Saturday night.

Mike

uscwest
22-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Wow Tink, I'm always amazed by your way with words. You've done a great job of summarizing the events of the week.

I have one of the few Fridays off that I've had since March but nothing in particular planned for the weekend. Work is getting to be a royal pain. Not really all that much to keep us all busy and what there is is very boring. I've been working outside of my actual field of expertise for so long now that it is difficult to find another position as I've lost my technical expertise. Sigh.

daveann
22-06-2012, 01:35 PM
:hug2: tink your the best :)

well dave will finish this evening for a week and i will be done by 12.30 on tuesday so were going to the lake district to see my babies and get mummy cuddles even though there 23 and 20 :)
we havent had a break since our cruise last october :( so we are both ready for a few days off :)
have just booked our amtrak train from new york to niagara so thats done now and isfaria has got me addicted to NY webcams :)
hopefully the weekend might have a dry spell to get lucy out in the forest.

have a fantastic weekend everyone :)

Britchick
22-06-2012, 01:40 PM
i forgot to say the Olympic Torch is coming through on Wednesday, it's coming less than a half mile from our house, so excited will try and get photos

daveann
22-06-2012, 01:52 PM
i forgot to say the Olympic Torch is coming through on Wednesday, it's coming less than a half mile from our house, so excited will try and get photos

i watched it online yesterday going past my son's front door and i saw him on his step was very emotional being the other end of the country watching the streets i knew so well :)

Beccaberry
22-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Friday, indeed. A monumental one for me on a personal note. I'm (once again) officially the mother of high school student. I am also now the mother of a son who, somehow thinks he has become grown enough to use the phrase, "When we get married..." while referencing he and his girlfriend. (Not for a while, he assures me, but dear heavens, Wen, what will I do if HE get's married before ME?!?!)

Today is the last day of my "current" job. I've been here for five years, the longest I've ever been at one job, and the first "real" job I had after my divorce. Looking back, I realize that while I was teaching them how to use a computer, these students and these teachers were teaching me infinitely more. I'll be leaving this campus to move up to our central campus to oversee web management. A huge step. And while I know it's in the right direction, I can't help but be just a little sad...I've grown to love these people.

So then, I'm blessed to have two months in front of me. Free. No significant obligations, no deadlines, no alarm clock. I am eagerly looking forward to bringing my home back into order (on so many levels) and chuffed with Jon's announcement last week that in the fall we can hire someone to come in and help keep things tidy a few times a month. I think I may just die from happiness at the prospect.

Jon and Baleigh are running a 5K on Saturday. We have money down to see who crosses the finish line first. I'll keep you posted :)

Dawn
22-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Don't know what I'll be doing. Had a tough week at school - back to back school trips not recommended.

Maybe I'll just sleep all weekend.

catrancher
22-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Bit 'o work in the yard this Saturday for me.

Then I'll probably spend the remainder of Saturday and most of Sunday on my iPhone development project. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... glutto for weekends...)

Deb
22-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Ah Tink :hug2: Your words. Lovely to hear everyone's news. You know, sometimes I reckon we need a a call to each other like that, a call to gather together for a while before going back out into "the world".

This week I volunteered for the first time at a local hedgehog rescue centre. So lovely. I hand-fed babies, amongst other things, Apart from the joy it gave me in helping animals, it also was a good thing for me personally to interact with others. Since I changed to working from home I have been a bit of a hermit, and so I enjoyed the interaction with the other lovely people helping there.

Tomorrow the forecast is for a brief respite from the constant rain. So we will be fitting in lots of outdoor jobs, like clearing some of our paddock, and cleaning out the chickens and guinea pigs. For Sunday the forecast is that we return to rain of biblical proportions, so we intend to stay indoors and try out the new sewing machine I had delivered yesterday. I haven't used one since I was 18 (a long time ago) but as I have a house-full of curtains to sew in the next 12 months I am determined to be able to use one now! We will watch the F1 Grand Prix and the Football on tv, and pretend we don't care about the weather :)

Tink
23-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Well, that's what I get for leaving work at a decent time today. :sigh: I was not 1000 yards from work (literally) when they were paging me. :sigh:

It's been nothing but pages and calls all evening. Long tedious story (and you have to fully understand the absolutely hideous health system we have here) but it involves a very, very sick man and a POA who is a total and complete fool, and a hospital that refuses to do it's job and ADMIT THE MAN. OH MY G-D! I've been aggravated before but this is utter nonsense.

Ugh.

Thanks for letting me rant. :sorry:

Thank you also for sharing your thoughts and weekend plans! Mike, I'm so sorry to hear about Amanda's loss. :(

Tinkfan
24-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Ahh, Tink! No one can say it like you. Came back from another session at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Chicago today. I have had no complaints about this place until Friday. I had a very full schedule and had a neural block scheduled first with a lung parenthesis done next followed by oncology meetings, radiation and 5 hours of chemo. They were supposed to give me sedation for the block which goes trough the spine and they had a terrible time getting my IV in 6 times they tried before they called the doctor. I get the neural blocks for back spasms and pain from my inital set of chemo, it runs down my legs and through the diaphragm. The nurse put it in the port or said she did and I told her that I didn't feel it go in. She insisted that all was well. When they started the procedure I told them again that it didn.t work and that my muscles were tightening up in response to the pain. They finished the procedure with a good deal of difficulty and after 10 minutes in recovery I was wheeled to the next! procedure which was a nightmare because of my pain. They had a time getting through the ribcage because of the tightness and I am ashamed to say I started yelling in pain. It made the whole day horrendous and the night as well. We had to be up at 5:30 am to be taken to Midway airport, and the more I thought about it the madder I got. Whoops I forgot to tell you why!!! They lied, they Never administered the sedation the Doctor finally told my husband. why? So I wouldn't be off my schedule and more alert for the oncology appointments. I'm still fuming to be honest. I can't believe the nurse looked me in the face and just plain lied:thumbsdown:.I REALLY WONDERED IF IT WAS THE PORT BUT IT WORKED FINE FOR THE CHEMO. ( sorry caps locked)

On a good note am cosidering going to Disney World in October!! We made plans this summer for a vacation with my daughter Jenn's family at our winter condo for the guys to play golf and me to spoil my grand-daughter! Another vacation with our son ad his family at Cedar Point and one in Vermont and Maine with our oldest daughter. These were schedled carefully because I go every 3 weeks for treatment and am dead the first week Starting to come around the second and miserable the 3rd, because I'm full of fluid again! But the good news is that my numbers have started to come down:yes:Thanks for the rant!! Love you guys:tongue:

daveann
24-06-2012, 05:17 AM
For tinkfan :comfort:

Deb
24-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Tinkfan :comfort: I would be mad at that too! I would guess with that sort of treatment that trust in your carers is crucial - lying to you is just appalling :thumbsdown: Great news that your numbers are down though:yes: And good news about Disney :thumbsup: Your other trips sound lovely too, good for your soul!

Big hug for you :hug2:

uscwest
24-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Wow, there is no excuse for that type of treatment. However, I hope it continues to work and that your numbers continue to fall.

Tink
24-06-2012, 12:41 PM
OMG, Sister Tinkfan. I am sickened by what happened. I'm also very disappointed that it happened there. Cancer Treatment Centers of America have an excellent reputation and should never have done something is such flagrant denial of patient rights.

I know it's not your style, but I do hope you follow up on that and make sure the administrator of the center knows that you were treated unethically. :hug2: G-d. It's just so wrong.

It's really, really good to hear that your numbers are falling!! :mental:

October is a great time to visit WDW. I know you are going to have a wonderful time. :yes:

So nice to have you here with us. :hug2:

Kate
24-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Oh Tinkfan, that is just disgraceful!!! I cannot stand lies, they are awful things - and about something like that too, its just disgraceful. However, wonderful news about your numbers falling and im porper excited for you about your up and coming trip!!

We have had a nice weekend, for the first time in almost 6yrs DH and I had a meal out and an evening out of our own!! Dd wanted to sleep at Nannys house so after we said goodbye to her we wandered down into town, had some food and then went to the cinema to see Men in Black 3. It was lovely to be us again rather than Mummy and Daddy - although we did miss dd!

Britchick
24-06-2012, 09:17 PM
:hug2: for you Tinkfan

Well we went to the Science Museum in London, we went straight to the Alan Turing exhibit, I must confess i didn't know a lot about him before we went, I met someone through work that worked at Bletchley Park in WW2 and that's why i wanted to go after the stories i was told. This man was a genius, not only did he say thousands of lives because of his code breaking in the war but he is said to be the father of computing. He died at the age of 40 from cyanide poisoning, assumed to be suicide but it is now being questioned. Alan Turing was found to have had a relationship with another Man and was given the choice of being imprisoned or taking female hormones for a year- this was being experimented at the time as being a cure for being gay. I was really saddened when i read this and immediately thought of here. I am so grateful that i belong to such a wonderful site such as this.

Johnie
25-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Oh Trish :hug2::hug2::hug2: that is just shameful what they did to you! When are you thinking about going in Oct?

I finished my homework on Fri afternoon so I was free all weekend! :sorry: I should have started early for next week but why do that? I saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter on Friday night. It was surprisingly good! I have a tiny little conspiracy theorist in my head that I try not to feed but it got a little taste with this movie.

I also tagged along with a friend and her daughter to see Brave on Sat. It was SO GOOD! I cried because that is Pixar's goal in every single movie. Merida is my favorite new princess and I will be standing in line to meet her come August :yes:

Oh yes, and between her, Katniss and the bow dude in Avengers, I really want to take archery lessons now. Of course this has been something I have wanted to do since 8th grade. I have horrible hand-eye coordination and playing sports was never really my thing. We had to do archery in gym class and I was fumbling with the whole thing. Silly boys were making fun of me but someway, somehow I was the only one in class to get a bullseye! Oh yeah and I can complete a mean serve in volleyball. That's it :tongue:

Today Alysia asked me to go shopping with her. I utterly hate the mall. But, I went cause I love her. I DO like when I tell her things will look cute on her and after she tries them on and realizes that I AM RIGHT.

I can't believe the weekend is almost over already. It seems like it just started.

Watchinherskip
25-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Trish, so sorry for that unprofessional treatment. They should be ashamed. But so very glad that the numbers are looking better. That is awesome.

Tink, thank you for starting this tread. Your words were eloquent.

Friday I was driving the teachers home from our NASA climate change workshop in the mountains of Virginia. We had a really busy, but fantastic week and our teachers gained insight into the current status of global climate change. We had leading scienctists in the field from NASA's JPL and Goddard Flight Center as well as gaining insight into vodcast production from NASA Edge television show. During the week our teachers got a chance to use their new iPads, take videos, produce their own music with garageband, and we had a chance to sit by the bonfire, check out the satellites heading overhead (great view of the ISS on Wed. night, Don Petit who worked with our crew before is an astronaut on board - hoisted and amber ale to him as he flew over our lodge), and got to know each other in another capacitiy other than work related.

Celebrated my 55th birthday Saturday night at Carrabas Italian Cucina, and also went to Sandbridge section of Va Beach. The weather was fantastic as was the water.

Tink
26-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Now that is some kind of weekend, Dan!! Happy Birthday!

Tinkfan
27-06-2012, 02:54 AM
:hug2:It's good to talk to you guys again, I love catching up on everyone regardless if it's good or sad news. Love you guys!!!

Wendy
27-06-2012, 07:35 AM
:hug2:It's good to talk to you guys again, I love catching up on everyone regardless if it's good or sad news. Love you guys!!!

I miss you when you aren't here :hug2: