PDA

View Full Version : Learning to drive

Steven
11-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Curious.. How long did everyone take to learn to drive ? :D

Slowhand
11-08-2008, 02:00 PM
You really never stop learning Steven! :p015:
Joking aside, I learned fairly quickly [around 6 months before I passed my test if I recall]. This was mainly due to the fact that I had already passed my test on a motor scooter earlier....I was one of the Mods in the 60`s and my scooter was adorned with loads of chrome and mirrors etc....think Quadrophinia [sp?] and that`s about it! :lol:

Tink
11-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Errrmmmm six months? :unsure: That was the term of the learner's permit. Had to have the first one for six months before you could get your real license.

*Bambi-Belle*
11-08-2008, 02:02 PM
I was a whole year!:ashamed008:

Slowhand
11-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Errrmmmm six months? :unsure: That was the term of the learner's permit. Had to have the first one for six months before you could get your real license.
It was a heck of a long time ago Tink. In those days a guy walked in front of you waving a red flag when you were driving! :lol:

keith
11-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Curious.. How long did everyone take to learn to drive ? :D

Just a few weeks! I HATED having driving lessons, all the "do it this way" stuff made me grrrrrrrrrr so I had double lessons and anything I could do to get it over with. I'd been practising for months beforehand though in Mum's car so it wasn't exactly JUST a few weeks I suppose :lol:

I took the test and was sooooo nervous my foot was shaking. The lady examiner was very strict and not in the least friendly and we had a few erm, interesting instances along the way :lol: I felt I was doing great then we went into a really old industrial estate thing with overgrown mossy roads and lots of unmarked crossroads. One of them I just didnt see because of the hedges and she stopped the car using the second set of brakes and started scribbling. I thought ok great thats that then :rolleyes008:

Later we went onto this busy road and she said back into that road there. Well there was a sweeping corner and a load of warehouses behind it, and limited visibility round the corner. As I started to back up verrrrry slowly, then a huge truck appeared round the corner and whizzed past beeping. Then another, then another, then another :lol: I just about managed to do it after that.

Then after being totally messed up by all that we went along the road and she said "ok when I hit the dashboard with my clipboard I want you to break as you would in an emergency, the next thing you hear will be that instruction...... STOP" and there was literally just a couple of seconds gap. so that rattled me

We get back and she said "Im pleased to inform you that you've passed" well I couldnt really believe it. Worst drive of my life either before OR since. After a few seconds I thought well Im not sure what to say now, we both know it was an awful drive so I think perhaps I'll try and explain that I know it wasnt great :lol: so I said "erm do you have any advice for me, things I could/should improve?" and she turned to me and with this really withering glare said coldly "if I thought THAT then I would not have passed you" got out and walked off

Not the best day of my life I must admit :lol:

lisaw
11-08-2008, 02:32 PM
I hated learning as well, or rather I coudn't stand my instructor :rolleyes008:He used to make me stop at petrol stations so he could get sweets! :lol: He was a rather large man and therefore I learnt to drive in a massive Nissan Bluebird!

I had my first lesson on my 17th birthday in the Nov and passed in the June at the second attempt. I was so nervous at my first test that my feet kept slipping off the pedals. :lol:

ukwdwnut
11-08-2008, 02:35 PM
took me 6 weeks at one per week and a double on the day so 7 lessons

Tink
11-08-2008, 02:42 PM
LOL! Slowhand! I was referring to my having learned. When I was learning one had to get a learner's permit and have it for six months before taking the test for the actual license. :yes:

My Da taught me to drive. :lipwobble: I was pretty intimidated by him, and did everything exactly as he said. He told me when he shouted stop! I was to stop immediately. I asked if he meant for me to slam on the brakes, and he said I should respond as if a child had run out in front of me. Soooo, when he shouted STOP! I slammed those brakes to the FLOOR. He flew out of his seat (pre seatbelt days) and "fetched himself right up against the windshield!" :eek: I was horrified, but he laughed uproariously and said I had great reflexes. :lol: Whew. Scary day.

Slowhand
11-08-2008, 02:45 PM
There is the famous story over here about the examiner jumping out in front of a motor cyclist who was taking his test in order to check out an emergency stop. The problem was that he jumped out in front of the wrong motor cycle which knocked him over! :lol:[I`m told this is a true story]

uscwest
11-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Both my mom and my dad taught me. I don't remember how long it actually took me once I got my learner's permit. Mom had me mostly out on the roads, while dad would take me to the National Battlefield Park and teach me how to back up and how to park.

Tink
11-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Eeesh! I'm not so sure I'd jump out in front of any vehicle! :eek:

Taja
11-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Thirteen days after my learner's permit was issued, I passed my test and had my first driver's license! :lol:

I wouldn't recommend my method to anyone, but it was necessary at the time. Just after school started, my father changed jobs (you know those union issues many are facing--this was fallout from that) and I no longer had transportation to school. So, after three weeks of arriving at a friend's house at 5:00 a.m., and doing homework or reading until they were read to leave for the day and not getting home until midnight or so, we looked at our options and the only one that made sense was for me to learn to drive. Quickly! So I did! :lol:

Seriously, I was lucky with my instructor. He was the father of one of the girls who had been in my ballet class when we were younger. She was a couple of years older and left when she was around 13, so we lost touch with one another. Our families always got along well, so it was a serious stroke of luck that he was my assigned instructor! :)

Isafari
11-08-2008, 02:51 PM
I could only afford one lesson a week and took them for about three months. I did pass first time though....got my license at 17.

Tink
11-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Oh I remember that sort of thing too John. :yes: Da took me to a large empty parking lot and taught me to throw the car into a spin so I could learn to handle snow and ice. "Doin' doughnuts" remember?

Little did he know I thought that was great fun, and went on to do it once I was licensed, just for the fun of it! :spring:

Slowhand
11-08-2008, 02:52 PM
My DW had to take her test 7 times.:shocked025:
But don`t let on I told you!

Tink
11-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh man. Oh maaaaannnn! You are in SO much trouble! :lipwobble: RUN!!!!

keith
11-08-2008, 02:53 PM
My DW had to take her test 7 times.:shocked025:
But don`t let on I told you!

I won't mention my DW's tests because in jest or not I would be toast

Tink
11-08-2008, 02:54 PM
I knew you were super intelligent Keith! :yes:

Johnie
11-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I got my learner's permit when I was 15 and 8 months (which was EXACTLY when you could get it back then) and had my learner's until I was 17. I wasn't able to take behind the wheel until then (a requirement to get your driver's license as well).

MarkE
12-08-2008, 03:26 PM
I had one lesson a week for the first month, then two a week for the second and third month, and passed mid way through the fourth month.

In general, they recommend you take 30 hours worth of lessons, unless you pick it up real quick. It took my sister 2 years and 5 tests to pass.

Scary thing is, she's a waaaaaayyyy better driver than me now!!

Taja
12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
I had one lesson a week for the first month, then two a week for the second and third month, and passed mid way through the fourth month.

In general, they recommend you take 30 hours worth of lessons, unless you pick it up real quick. It took my sister 2 years and 5 tests to pass.

Scary thing is, she's a waaaaaayyyy better driver than me now!!

:eek: I had 17 hours of intense driving instruction over 13 days to get my license! Not sure what the laws are now, but that was what I needed to pass the test and drive safely! :)

Almost no other behind-the-wheel practice before obtaining my driver's license. One of our tenants moved out and we were headed to the house early one Sunday morning to begin the clean-up operation. Very quiet out, so my father suggested that I drive. I made it to the fire station about two blocks from the house (about 15 minutes from where we lived). Pulled into the alley and told my father I would walk from there, thank you!

That was the only time I drove with my father in the car until I was in my mid-twenties--and he was too ill to drive himself! :lol:

MarkE
12-08-2008, 04:09 PM
:eek: I had 17 hours of intense driving instruction over 13 days to get my license! Not sure what the laws are now, but that was what I needed to pass the test and drive safely! :)

I'm fairly sure thats all my 18 year old step sister had to get her licence.

No offence to ANY of our american friends on here, but learning to drive over here is WAAAAYYYYY harder than in the states. If for no other reason than using a gear stick! Our TEST (after months of learning) takes an hour!!!

And I generally feel the standard is higher over here. Dad always joked when he first moved to PA that all he had to do to get a US licence was drive 100 yards in a straight line without spilling his coffee or dialling a wrong number!!

Ursula
12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Just a few weeks! I HATED having driving lessons, all the "do it this way" stuff made me grrrrrrrrrr so I had double lessons and anything I could do to get it over with. I'd been practising for months beforehand though in Mum's car so it wasn't exactly JUST a few weeks I suppose :lol:

I took the test and was sooooo nervous my foot was shaking. The lady examiner was very strict and not in the least friendly and we had a few erm, interesting instances along the way :lol: I felt I was doing great then we went into a really old industrial estate thing with overgrown mossy roads and lots of unmarked crossroads. One of them I just didnt see because of the hedges and she stopped the car using the second set of brakes and started scribbling. I thought ok great thats that then :rolleyes008:

Later we went onto this busy road and she said back into that road there. Well there was a sweeping corner and a load of warehouses behind it, and limited visibility round the corner. As I started to back up verrrrry slowly, then a huge truck appeared round the corner and whizzed past beeping. Then another, then another, then another :lol: I just about managed to do it after that.

Then after being totally messed up by all that we went along the road and she said "ok when I hit the dashboard with my clipboard I want you to break as you would in an emergency, the next thing you hear will be that instruction...... STOP" and there was literally just a couple of seconds gap. so that rattled me

We get back and she said "Im pleased to inform you that you've passed" well I couldnt really believe it. Worst drive of my life either before OR since. After a few seconds I thought well Im not sure what to say now, we both know it was an awful drive so I think perhaps I'll try and explain that I know it wasnt great :lol: so I said "erm do you have any advice for me, things I could/should improve?" and she turned to me and with this really withering glare said coldly "if I thought THAT then I would not have passed you" got out and walked off

Not the best day of my life I must admit :lol:

And without further ado she hopped onto her broom and flew away....

keith
12-08-2008, 07:13 PM
And without further ado she hopped onto her broom and flew away....

:lol: yes I did hear tales later that year of a small house having landed on her and some sparkly shoes sticking out

Taja
12-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm fairly sure thats all my 18 year old step sister had to get her licence.

No offence to ANY of our american friends on here, but learning to drive over here is WAAAAYYYYY harder than in the states. If for no other reason than using a gear stick! Our TEST (after months of learning) takes an hour!!!

And I generally feel the standard is higher over here. Dad always joked when he first moved to PA that all he had to do to get a US licence was drive 100 yards in a straight line without spilling his coffee or dialling a wrong number!!

Now I know why Arizona drivers are so bad! They don't even have to take a written test of state driving laws if they have been previously licensed in another state! :eek:

Mark, I'm a fossil. We had to take a road test, parallel park on flat streets and hills (proper technique required), drive on busy streets, side streets, stop (gently) on command, left turns (no universal lanes or left turn lanes in those days!), right turns, U-turns (illegal in most places, but required on the test) and a few other things I've forgotten over the years. It took a good 45 minutes, plus another hour or so to actually be issued the temporary license.

Most of my peers had about 4 hours of driver training--actual behind-the-wheel instruction at school. I had to learn quickly, so my parents paid for my training and I logged more hours than most. The goal was safe driving--quickly! :lol: My final road trip was three hours of freeways, hills, canyons, beach roads (Pacific Coast Highway, for anyone familiar with southern Callifornia) and a bunch of other places that were simpler to navigate.

I definitely would flunk a test in the UK--never have learned to drive a vehicle with manual transmission. Can't begin to think why anyone would--although many do! :lol: