PDA

View Full Version : Red wine? Need some help please.

Esmeralda
26-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Someone I know is retiring soon, they are not a close friend but someone who has done something nice for me and my family...Sooooooooo I hear they like red wine and would like to purchase them a nice bottle of the stuff.

I know nothing about red wine and would like some help, if you could throw a few names in my direction of what kind to get I would be grateful. I want to spend about 10. Thank you X

Tink
26-06-2012, 09:17 AM
What is that in American dollars? :unsure: About $15?

A tempranillo is an excellent choice, and is a very nice variety for a reasonable cost.

I don't like merlot at all, but some people do... :shrug:

Zinfandel can be a good choice, but you'd need to select a good vineyard. Some are quite nasty!

Cabernet Sauvignon is another that is almost always a guarantee of "goodness."

If you want to spend a little more, Chateauneuf du pape is a wonderful red (my favorite) and would be a beautiful gift.

If they like something a touch sweeter you can go with a grenache blend.

Spain has some really nice riojas, and Italy has it's famous chianti...

You might want to simply go to a decent wine shop and ask the owner for recommendations too.

If there are ratings from Wine Spectator, use those. They are quite reliable, but read the labels carefully! Often a wine shop that isn't that ethical will put up a Wine Spectator rating and then not have the exact wine on display (different year, it won't be reserve when that's what is being rated, that sort of thing).

uscwest
26-06-2012, 10:28 AM
You might want to simply go to a decent wine shop and ask the owner for recommendations too.

If there are ratings from Wine Spectator, use those. They are quite reliable, but read the labels carefully! Often a wine shop that isn't that ethical will put up a Wine Spectator rating and then not have the exact wine on display (different year, it won't be reserve when that's what is being rated, that sort of thing).

I agree with everything Tink says, especially the two parts I quoted above. IMHO nothing beats a good wine guy/gal. I've got one and he has never steered me wrong.

Slowhand
26-06-2012, 10:37 AM
and Italy has it's famous chianti...

That goes down especially well with liver and fava beans according to Hannibal Lector. :lol:

Esmeralda
26-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Thank you so far... except to Slowhand... who gets a smack upside the head X

Britchick
26-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Rioja Reserva, Bodegas Carlos Serres 2005

my fave at the moment, Next wine does it as well as independent vendors and it's 10.99 a bottle. Great with cheese

Skywatcher
26-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Chateuneuf du pape does me as does a nice Rioja

Britchick
26-06-2012, 06:02 PM
If you want a treat Chris try the 2008, it's a bit like you.... Smooooth ;) LOL

Watchinherskip
26-06-2012, 06:44 PM
That goes down especially well with liver and fava beans according to Hannibal Lector. :lol:

:point:Too funny mate.

Watchinherskip
26-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Had some nice meritage this week..think that was what it was. Stopped at a winery in VA at last week's conference.

Esmeralda
26-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Thank you for all the help, I've got a list now and will be off to shop later this week X Mwah X

uscwest
27-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Had some nice meritage this week..think that was what it was. Stopped at a winery in VA at last week's conference.

I like a good Meritage for red and a nice Viognier for white. Of course there are others I like also. :yes:

Watchinherskip
27-06-2012, 01:50 PM
I like a good Meritage for red and a nice Viognier for white. Of course there are others I like also. :yes:

Spoken like a true (Northern) Virginian!!!