PDA

View Full Version : Family Heirlooms or Mementoes

Wendy
02-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Following on from our Skywatcher's thread about his chair, it got me thinking, there aren't really any herilooms or special mementoes in my family. I've watched shows where things are handed down generations and I've always been sad that here is nothing like that in my family.

I have my Nan's wedding ring and some things of my dads, but I've not got any family to pass them on to, not that I'd trust not to sell them anyway.

Do you have things in your family that are special and that have been passed down through the generations or have you started something of your own that you will keep and pass on to your children?

catrancher
02-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Re: Family Heirlooms or Momentoes

Following on from our Skywatcher's thread about his chair, it got me thinking, there aren't really any herilooms or special momentoes in my family. I've watched shows where things are handed down generations and I've always been sad that here is nothing like that in my family.

I have my Nan's wedding ring and some things of my dads, but I've not got any family to pass them on to, not that I'd trust not to sell them anyway.

Do you have things in your family that are special and that have been passed down through the generations or have you started something of your own that you will keep and pass on to your children?

We've actually got something similar to what Skywatcher has but smaller. We've got a child sized rocking chair that was mine when I was a child, my daughters when she was little, both my grandsons, and now my granddaughter. So, it's been in the family since about 1952. And I guess someday it will go to one of the grandkids for their little ones.

Tom (:macwave:... well... doesn't that just make me feel old! :shocked:)

josh.p.
02-07-2012, 11:21 PM
My Mum has her Mum's engagement ring and wedding ring. Other than that we don't have anything in our family that is passed down. A few ornaments but they're up in the loft.

Tink
03-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Hmmmmm, no now that I think about it, I don't have anything like that. My sisters do; they have things from my grandmother, but I don't.

DisneyFreak
03-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Receding hair line. :anxious:

Wendy
03-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Receding hair line. :anxious:

:laugh: :sorry:

Esmeralda
04-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I have my mothers charm bracelet which I have just recently passed on to my DD. I will have to wait for my mothers rings as they won't come to me until my father passes :( Oh the sad face is for my father passing, not because I don't have the rings.

Kate
04-07-2012, 12:08 PM
We dont have anything in ours. I used to have a lovely little rocking chair, my mum gave it to my sister for her kids and i think she threw it away.

My dad bought me a little chair when i was about 5 - im going to let isabelle have that and id like to think it will survive enough to be passed on to any children that she may have.

I saw something in a magazine today actually that i thought was gorgeous and id love to be able to buy it for the very reason of keeping it in the family - it was a disney christmas ornaments with loads of characters and things on, but its 150!

Kate
04-07-2012, 12:11 PM
This is it, although its 160 on their website!

http://www.bradford.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p1333_The--Wonderful-World-of-Disney--Christmas-Tree.html/XTCsid/b9cfcbbcaeb42dec315def1341403772

robertcraig
04-07-2012, 03:06 PM
I have a tea pot from my gran in the shape of a cockerel which must be over 100 years old and half sovereign given by an uncle when i was born

Dawn
04-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I have a cricket ball that was presented to my great grandfather when he was man of the match in a game at Lords. It has a little brass plaque with his name, date and bowling figures.

My nephew has our grandad's medals from WW2.

wdwgrandma
05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I bave family photos tbat mean a lot. I have a ring Daddy gave me years ago. I have an iron elephant bank that was given to him as a child.

Before my house burned down I had some Christmas ornaments my grandma gave me tbat she had for years. I miss those.

I have three little pottery elves my great grandma gave me just before she died at tbe age of 105.

I have a birthstone ring (one stone for each child) that belonged to John's mother.

All these things- along with many memories- are all very special to me.