PDA

View Full Version : Eep , just submitted a load of photos for a book !!

Skywatcher
03-07-2012, 12:00 PM
A team are putting together the avifauna of Sussex and want photos of every species in the county. Its for the BTO so there will be no payment but it will be a 600+ page hardbound book that will be available to buy in shops.

Sent them over 120 and we will see what happens - all well the book will be released Jan 2014

Quite nervous showing someone my stuff who will look at it with a really critical eye.

As well as the usual high res headshots /behavioural shots - they wanted the animals in context with the landscape so I'm hoping shots like this that I sent

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5046/5215121255_47c4747740.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48304094@N08/5215121255/)
Heron Beachy Head (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48304094@N08/5215121255/) by Sidleydoc (http://www.flickr.com/people/48304094@N08/), on Flickr

Will get a look as well, not the best Heron shot in the world by a country mile - but with beachy head visible through the bokeh it might be worth a punt

anyway :fingers:

We'll see won't we :unsure:

catrancher
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Good luck with it Chris! :yes:

Will they come back and tell you they're going use these particular pictures?
Or do they just go off to some deep dark hole and you've got to buy a copy of the book to see if any made it in? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... publish or perish!)

Skywatcher
03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Not sure have spoken to the guy who is writing the book and he will give me feedback when he gets my disc.

I know it's daft to be nervous but I spent most of the morning reappraising my photos and deciding they were all useless :lol:

Have to say as a project it's going to be a huge undertaking for the guy. Although we are a tiny island we attract a huge variety of bird life.

uscwest
03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Chris, you are such an excellent photographer. I can't imagine not having any of your photos used in the book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Britchick
03-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Good luck!

Wendy
03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
:fingers: :hug2:

josh.p.
03-07-2012, 07:07 PM
:bounce: Exciting! Good luck mate.

keith
03-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Completely agree with everything that's been said, they'd be bonkers not to use your photos! they're truly brilliant :yes:

Really like that they're trying to get the context as well

Tink
04-07-2012, 12:42 AM
How exciting! Will we be able to purchase the completed book?

Skywatcher
04-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Well we'll see. Sent me an email I error last night giving crit on what he thought was my photo set and they are being very strict, and understandably so, had to tell him he had the wrong guy.

Will let you know what he says

Skywatcher
04-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Well blow me down, he's just sent me a lovely email telling me he will more than likely be using 'many' of my photos. Very little he could tell me by way of crit as well.
Having seen how scathing he was in his email last night on the set that wasn't mine I'm genuinely speechless.

I'll let you know how the project progress' but it should be a purchasable book.

Beccaberry
04-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Very cool!!! Can't wait to hear more!

Skywatcher
04-07-2012, 07:49 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0713676337/ref=mp_s_a_11?qid=1341430243&sr=8-11

This was a version from a different county by the look. There are a few on there. Excited it may be purchasable through amazon !

Britchick
04-07-2012, 07:52 PM
that's great news!! not surprised though:thumbsup:

josh.p.
04-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Well blow me down, he's just sent me a lovely email telling me he will more than likely be using 'many' of my photos. Very little he could tell me by way of crit as well.
Having seen how scathing he was in his email last night on the set that wasn't mine I'm genuinely speechless.

I'll let you know how the project progress' but it should be a purchasable book.
:mental: :mental: :mental:

Skywatcher
04-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Genuinely stunned

Tink
04-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Well, you are the only one, Da. WE had faith in your photography talents!! :hug2:

keith
04-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Well, you are the only one, Da. WE had faith in your photography talents!! :hug2:

Absolutely :yes:

I mean us looking at sir skywatcher's photos and saying we like them is one thing, but the crowd he's being assessed by now are seriously strict.

The "bird in flight" crowd for example will happily look at your prize photo of a never before seen bird and tell you that its useless because there's a distracting twig in the distance, or the beak is slightly less sharp than the leading edge of the left wing.

If you take a shot with the wings frozen in time, there's no movement. If you retake it with blur on the wings, that's too much blur or too little.

They'll blow up the photo to beyond 100% to look at the pixels in the background and that's before they start looking at the bird itself only to comment that "it's not the best example of a lesser pimpled keith-hawk" as if we can pick and choose.

I know you are your own worst critic sir skywatcher because you know I feel the same about my shots but honestly, I'm not at all surprised that they love your shots.

Johnie
04-07-2012, 11:44 PM
I hope you just remember us when you are famed all through the land :-)

Tink
05-07-2012, 01:42 AM

I mean us looking at sir skywatcher's photos and saying we like them is one thing, but the crowd he's being assessed by now are seriously strict.

The "bird in flight" crowd for example will happily look at your prize photo of a never before seen bird and tell you that its useless because there's a distracting twig in the distance, or the beak is slightly less sharp than the leading edge of the left wing.

If you take a shot with the wings frozen in time, there's no movement. If you retake it with blur on the wings, that's too much blur or too little.

They'll blow up the photo to beyond 100% to look at the pixels in the background and that's before they start looking at the bird itself only to comment that "it's not the best example of a lesser pimpled keith-hawk" as if we can pick and choose.

I know you are your own worst critic sir skywatcher because you know I feel the same about my shots but honestly, I'm not at all surprised that they love your shots.

Good GRIEF!!! And I thought I was fussy. :eek:

Isafari
05-07-2012, 05:21 AM
well done Chris :hug2:

Wendy
05-07-2012, 07:35 AM
You should stop being so hard on yourself, you have done brilliantly :hug2: Will you sign my book for me :D

Skywatcher
05-07-2012, 09:05 AM

Cheers bud, and you are exactly right, this was the first time I put my head above the parapet for serious professional crit and it is a scary thing.

The ones he didn't like we're ones I didn't really like as well but depicted rare birds or rare behavior.

Genuinely hoped he could use one or two but to be told he would use 'many' was a real shock , especially after his previous email telling that other guy he may get away with one from his set.

I still appreciate this is a voluntary book for charity and the criteria therefore would be nowhere near as strict as if it was a proper professional publication but it's a step up and much as I really appreciate the feedback on here, to get it from someone who is well known in publishing circles is a real surprise and an encouragement.

The other things he pointed out about backgrounds and broken colours etc are IMO very very hard to do anything about in the field dealing with a wild animal that may not show for hours on end and when it does may well face the other way behind a branch. Different in many ways from studio work where you can control so much, but then that's why I love it.

Thanks for all your kind words xx

Tink
05-07-2012, 09:51 AM
It does make a difference, having good feedback from someone in 'the business' and being so particular about your own work is part of what makes your photos so beautiful.

Skywatcher
05-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Kinda want to see a lesser pimpled Keith hawk now though :unsure:

Wendy
05-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Kinda want to see a lesser pimpled Keith hawk now though :unsure:

:lol: