PDA

View Full Version : Hug your loved ones

Johnie
21-07-2012, 07:41 AM
It's been an emotional day for me (Friday).

I woke up to the news that there was a shooting at the midnight showing of Batman. I didn't hear the city at first but assumed it was local. My heart dropped as I knew Alysia had gone to the movie. I then thanked God that it wasn't her. But then was absolutely horrified by all those killed/hurt/traumatized.

Fast forward to the late afternoon and I get a phone call from my sister. Now my sister has an aversion to the phone and almost never calls me. First words out of her mouth are that Alysia had been in a car accident. Again thank God she is ok. But seriously. When you have news like that start out the conversation that people are OK. Alysia and her little mini chihuahua Frankie were shaken up and scared but no major injuries.

Alysia headed off to Nags Head this evening. I asked her to please not get eaten by a shark. She thought I was being funny.

21 years old now and I think I've had more ups and downs today than in all the previous years.

Britchick
21-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Really glad she's okay Johnie :hug2:

robertcraig
21-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Maybe USA will now do something about their gun laws

Wendy
21-07-2012, 09:57 AM
:hug2: glad she's ok

foreverducky
21-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Thank goodness she's ok!

Im always amazed how life can change in one second. One moment can change your life forever.

Kate
21-07-2012, 11:29 AM
One moment can change your life forever.

I was just going to say exactly the same thing
I'm so glad she's ok Johnie, life can be very scarey. It puts things into perspective though doesnt it, makes you realise whats important and whats not

uscwest
21-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Glad to hear that both Alysia and the puppy are OK. Hope she enjoys Nags Head.

MystikPiglit
21-07-2012, 07:12 PM
:hug2:

Suebeattie
21-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Glad she's ok :)
:wiggle:

Watchinherskip
23-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Maybe USA will now do something about their gun laws

Yeah.....not likely!:sorry: The gun lobby has TREMENDOUS pull and it saddens me so. Our second ammendment has been twisted from the framer's notion of maintaining a militia for defense to a God given right to secure as many weapons as a person wants and to only have minimal limits on waiting periods on hand guns. They can get around laws by purchasing weapons at gun shows and there is limited scrutiny on long guns (rifles...AND assault weapons). WHAT will it take?

So dismayed...it breaks one's heart.

Watchinherskip
23-07-2012, 02:46 PM
It's been an emotional day for me (Friday).

I woke up to the news that there was a shooting at the midnight showing of Batman. I didn't hear the city at first but assumed it was local. My heart dropped as I knew Alysia had gone to the movie. I then thanked God that it wasn't her. But then was absolutely horrified by all those killed/hurt/traumatized.

Fast forward to the late afternoon and I get a phone call from my sister. Now my sister has an aversion to the phone and almost never calls me. First words out of her mouth are that Alysia had been in a car accident. Again thank God she is ok. But seriously. When you have news like that start out the conversation that people are OK. Alysia and her little mini chihuahua Frankie were shaken up and scared but no major injuries.

Alysia headed off to Nags Head this evening. I asked her to please not get eaten by a shark. She thought I was being funny.

21 years old now and I think I've had more ups and downs today than in all the previous years.

Johnie so happy that she is not really injured. I know exactly how you feel. You never know these days what the future will hold. So right, give them hugs and tell them what they mean to you. Alex went to Longwood U yesterday to meet with a bunch of her roomies and friends to have a welcome back party. You know I was a basket of nerves waiting to hear that she made it ok. Hang in there Johnie.....

catrancher
23-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Yeah.....not likely!:sorry: The gun lobby has TREMENDOUS pull and it saddens me so. Our second ammendment has been twisted from the framer's notion of maintaining a militia for defense to a God given right to secure as many weapons as a person wants and to only have minimal limits on waiting periods on hand guns. They can get around laws by purchasing weapons at gun shows and there is limited scrutiny on long guns (rifles...AND assault weapons). WHAT will it take?

So dismayed...it breaks one's heart.

All true. And the gun laws do need to be changed. We need tighter control on who's buying what, how many, and how often. But no matter what we do, even if we were to make guns completely illegal, there's always going to be some fruitcake who will find their way around the restrictions. These people want to use firearms to commit felonies. Like these senseless murders. Even if we were to completely outlaw firearms, do you really think that would stop them? I don't.

If crazies are dead set on doing evil, there's no law that can be written that will stop them. But I'm all for making it as hard as we possibly can.

Tom (:macwave:... disgusted...)

Johnie
23-07-2012, 04:08 PM
I completely agree Tom. This murderer planned the whole thing very methodically. He was going to do this no matter what.

I've seen lots of posts on Facebook that if patrons had their guns with them then this wouldn't have happened. Yeah right. More people would have been injured in the crossfire. Plus he had the element of surprise on his side.

Sam
23-07-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm glad Alysia is ok and the puppy.

It makes you realise how fragile life is and how quickly we can lose our loved ones.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims not just at this shooting but all over the world. :hug2:

Watchinherskip
23-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Ok....so buying an assault rifle, 2 glocks, and 12 guage shotgun AND 7000 rounds of ammo in less than one month didn't raise a red flag :surrender: How about Virginia Tech..? Columbine? Should we just arm the whole populace? I listened to the usual guns, God and the other g crowd on talk radio on the way into work railing about gun control (they want NO control) and lamenting the fact that they weren't there to drop this dude in all that chaos. That is all we need a bunch of concealed weaponers drawing and adding to the fire fight!

Come on..I am not saying repeal the second ammendment....have real gun checks, eliminate the gun show exclusions and have some overview of patterns...

Watchinherskip
23-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I completely agree Tom. This murderer planned the whole thing very methodically. He was going to do this no matter what.

I've seen lots of posts on Facebook that if patrons had their guns with them then this wouldn't have happened. Yeah right. More people would have been injured in the crossfire. Plus he had the element of surprise on his side.

AND he was wearing body armour!! That is all we need as a bunch of John Waynes and Rambos pulling their pieces in all that confusion.

I say if you do pull your concealed weapon and fire and you injure or kill innocents...you should be liable in criminal and civil court.

Shellyamc
23-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Ok....so buying an assault rifle, 2 glocks, and 12 guage shotgun AND 7000 rounds of ammo in less than one month didn't raise a red flag :surrender: How about Virginia Tech..? Columbine? Should we just arm the whole populace? I listened to the usual guns, God and the other g crowd on talk radio on the way into work railing about gun control (they want NO control) and lamenting the fact that they weren't there to drop this dude in all that chaos. That is all we need a bunch of concealed weaponers drawing and adding to the fire fight!

Come on..I am not saying repeal the second ammendment....have real gun checks, eliminate the gun show exclusions and have some overview of patterns...

He didn't register the weapons or go through the background check. If he got them off the internet or on the black market, how would it have raised a red flag?

catrancher
23-07-2012, 05:01 PM

Absolutely agree Dan. :yes:

But my point was that no matter what we do, someone who's focused and dedicated enough will be able to get around it. You'll never be able to legislate the crazies out of existence. Whether it's Colorado, Virginia, the 9/11 attack, the London subway, or the Norwegian massacre. Crazies will always get around whatever we put in place to stop them. Not laws, or concealed weapons or small nuclear devices will stop them unless they can be identified.

This is the only thing that is going to be able to solve this kind of problem. If there had been even a modicum of heuristics applied to these purchases, this nut would have been identified and the police could have paid him a little visit prior to this becoming a nightmare.

He didn't register the weapons or go through the background check. If he got them off the internet or on the black market, how would it have raised a red flag?

Ahh... but he did Shelly. He bought all the firearms totally legally and above board. Not off the internet. He went through the background check and came up totally clean. You can't buy firearms off the internet. You have to buy them through a dealer who has a Federal Firearms License. You can only buy ammunition off the internet (which in itself is pretty stupid).

The point is his buying habits should have been the giveaway. Not what he was buying. But how much and when. Nobody has the need for that much weaponry and ammunition in the space of time that he bought them in.

Tom (:macwave:... you can't legislate the crazies!)

Watchinherskip
23-07-2012, 05:09 PM
From what I read, he purchased them from gun shops...the ammo came by internet. Exactly what I am saying...why not have some way to put the two together. He didn't have a dealer's license. The flag should have gone up. Why there is a no wait exemption for long guns (rifles) really gets me. And the NRA wants less gun control...not more or more prudent. I don't think our framers had in mind assault type weapons when they wrote that ammendment. I don't know how they could envision such a horrible situation that our populace would turn guns of such capability on others.

I had a good friend use the standard NRA position of a knife is capable of killing where will it stop? Will you have to have a wait period for a knife? What about the salt shaker on the table..that could be used to kill someone. I said yeah it could but it was designed for something other that killing as many living things in as short a time as possible.

I heard the same talking points straight out of the NRA handbook about knives, machettes and the like being used to kill. A sling shot killed Goliath...but I don't think David had a 30 shot rock magazine to use.

Shellyamc
23-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Absolutely agree Dan. :yes:

But my point was that no matter what we do, someone who's focused and dedicated enough will be able to get around it. You'll never be able to legislate the crazies out of existence. Whether it's Colorado, Virginia, the 9/11 attack, the London subway, or the Norwegian massacre. Crazies will always get around whatever we put in place to stop them. Not laws, or concealed weapons or small nuclear devices will stop them unless they can be identified.

This is the only thing that is going to be able to solve this kind of problem. If there had been even a modicum of heuristics applied to these purchases, this nut would have been identified and the police could have paid him a little visit prior to this becoming a nightmare.

Ahh... but he did Shelly. He bought all the firearms totally legally and above board. Not off the internet. He went through the background check and came up totally clean. You can't buy firearms off the internet. You have to buy them through a dealer who has a Federal Firearms License. You can only buy ammunition off the internet (which in itself is pretty stupid).

The point is his buying habits should have been the giveaway. Not what he was buying. But how much and when. Nobody has the need for that much weaponry and ammunition in the space of time that he bought them in.

Tom (:macwave:... you can't legislate the crazies!)

Then I stand corrected. The article I read said otherwise. I just don't see any possible way of making someone like this follow laws and regulations. I mean drugs are against the law here, but people buy them and take them everyday. If someone is intent on this kind of evil, they are going to make it happen. I don't see how a law is going to change it.

Johnie
23-07-2012, 05:21 PM
No, our forefathers certainly did not have this in mind when they framed the Constitution. They didn't even have weapons like we have nor do I think they ever would have imagined it. Also, it was a much different time then. They didn't have law enforcement like we do now.

The sad thing is this dude would have built a bomb if he hadn't been able to buy a gun. Look at the way he booby-trapped his apt!

Anyone who knows me knows that I am scared of guns. I was taught how to shoot a rifle when I was 6. I do not own a gun, I won't have a gun. I just don't like them. But, if you want a rifle to shoot your food (I'm fine with people hunting as long as they eat what they kill) or you feel you need a pistol in your home for personal protection, fine. The Constitution is on your side. However, I don't see any reason for anyone to have some of the very scary guns that are only meant to kill people.

Thank you to all who offered prayers and asked about Alysia. I appreciate it. Mommy never gets over being anxious and worried. I swear its gotten worse as she's gotten older!

catrancher
23-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I swear its gotten worse as she's gotten older!

Never gets better. Mine's 39, married with 3 kids and I still worry about her. All part of being a parent I guess. :sigh:

Tom (:macwave:... because I'm the daddy. That's why.)

Johnie
23-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Then I stand corrected. The article I read said otherwise. I just don't see any possible way of making someone like this follow laws and regulations. I mean drugs are against the law here, but people buy them and take them everyday. If someone is intent on this kind of evil, they are going to make it happen. I don't see how a law is going to change it.

Agreed. People who are intent on destroying others will always find a way. Unfortunately, we the innocent people, are always the ones who have to endure the problems with safety measures.

Watchinherskip
23-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Johnie, sort of feel like our girls grew up together (well at least by our visits and sharing here). I remember Alysia and Alex being in grade school, going on to high school, and then planning their futures. Although I have never met you or Alysia (we did try that one trip) I feel a kinship so know where you are coming from. I am sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, I guess the topic hits way to close to home. Let's just say that I know way more than I want to about gun violence. It sort of set me off today hearing all the yahoos out there worrying about their rights to have as many weapons as they choose regardless of the weapon capacity.

I too grew up in Pennsylvania where the first two days of deer season are legal school holidays. There are over 2 million hunters in those woods. I have no issue with the use of a shotgun or bolt action rifle for hunting. Heck I am even in favor of culling herds. I have issues with selling as many assault weapons as you can with extended clips (magazines) that are really designe for one thing..killing personel.

See I did it again...sorry.

What is wrong with me?

Johnie
23-07-2012, 05:50 PM
:hug2: oh Dan, I know what you mean.

SleepinCatz
23-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Hope that sweet girl of yours is doing good today..I know how stiff and sore you can bee for weeks after a wreck. Not fun...