PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

Pages : [1] 2

Skywatcher
27-07-2012, 01:27 PM
can't see a thread so far :unsure:

Not really bothered what people think , I'm dead excited and so are all the family :mental:

Saw the torch go by our road and there were hundred of people lining the streets, inspirational and brilliant - surprisingly a lump in the throat moment and a fantastic way of 'personalising' the games. Think by and large the relay has been a collosal success and has brought the nation into it.

Having been so skeptical all those years ago, I think Danny Boyle will produce some absolute class this evening.

Feel free to ignore if you don't care about it ;)

oh and the BBC showing absolutely everything live - absolute quality - will watch the archery , handball etc etc that haven't been able to before - amazed to find another 25 channels on the sky planner all BBC olympics channels

:mental:

catrancher
27-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Glad to hear it's coming off well so far! It's gonna be great I'm sure. :yes:

Sorry about the flap over "Mitt the Twit". You guys can keep him if you want. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... maybe use him as a door stop?)

Watchinherskip
27-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I am stoked! Looks like it will be an awesome Olympics. Wish I were there. I downloaded an app for my iPad that allows one to view the events (think all of them) as long as you have a subscription to a cable or satellite provider.

Want to see the usuals but am really stoked to see the whitewater kayaking/canoeing as well as sailing. To quote the Little River Band...."I was born under the sign of water....and that is where I choose to be" :yes:

Kate
27-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm one of the other people im afraid - its going to be all over the tv and will be disrupting my soaps im sure!! :lol:
I expect i will watch a bit of the opening ceremony but apart from that i wont watch any of it!

catrancher
27-07-2012, 02:51 PM
I downloaded an app for my iPad that allows one to view the events (think all of them) as long as you have a subscription to a cable or satellite provider.

What's the name of that app Dan? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... just curious...)

Dawn
27-07-2012, 02:59 PM
This time tomorrow I will be in the O2 arena watching the men's gymnastics live!

:mental: :mental: :mental: :mental:

Skywatcher
27-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Awesome Dawn :yes: pleaseplease please post pics

This time next week I will be trying to get teh fmaily to sleep as we have to get up at ridiculousoclockinthemorning to catch the train to the Athletics :yes:

Ben Will not like being put through the baggage scanner I'm sure

The boys are sooo excited about the ceremony tonight :D

Have you heard the rumours about the childrens characters that do battle ;)

daveann
27-07-2012, 03:42 PM
like skywatcher until tuesday i was so excited went to see the torch relay watched it on the tv and was supposed to be going to the olympic park to watch basketball on sunday afternoon but have been struck down with tonsilitus and been really ill so off work im gutted :( i keep hoping tomorrow i will feel human again so be able to tackle sunday but im not hopeful :(
we were so excited to get usa match tickets :(

Watchinherskip
27-07-2012, 03:43 PM
What's the name of that app Dan? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... just curious...)

Haven't tried it yet but it is called liveextra

http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/

Dan

Skywatcher
27-07-2012, 03:46 PM
like skywatcher until tuesday i was so excited went to see the torch relay watched it on the tv and was supposed to be going to the olympic park to watch basketball on sunday afternoon but have been struck down with tonsilitus and been really ill so off work im gutted :( i keep hoping tomorrow i will feel human again so be able to tackle sunday but im not hopeful :(

Thats ages away - :yes: keep the fluids up and the paracetamol/ibuprofen and I'll keep everything crossed for you

keith
27-07-2012, 03:47 PM
get my negativity out of the way early :taunt: Not something I'm personally interested in and around here the feeling is that it's something happening down in London and nothing much to do with us other than being on the tv all the time. A huge financial gamble at a time when we can't afford it and as much as I'm sure figures will come out to persuade us that it made money, I can't see it myself. Of course many will argue it's about more than money and though I'd personally argue we could've spent it better elsewhere whilst achieving a more countrywide benefit, that's just a point to debate.

*BUT* I do want to say this. We did win it for the UK, we ARE hosting it, we've already spent the money so the time to be grumpy about it, if there was such a time, is now well over.

We're SO hard on ourselves as a country we truly are. Every little mistake is held up as the end of the world and worse we seem to relish the bad. I'm not sure I can think of another country which is so consistently down about itself. It does us no good internationally and nationally I'm sure it makes us all more fed up and depressed.

I think this is the first time in any games that people will be able to see every minute of every event (it seems incredible but I'm sure I heard that said and all the new bbc channels seem to support it). That's just mind blowingly good and should allow people to see many new events!

We now have to all get behind it and hope that everyone both tourists and native UKers, whether there in person have an absolutely awesome time!

daveann
27-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Thats ages away - :yes: keep the fluids up and the paracetamol/ibuprofen and I'll keep everything crossed for you

on antibiotics and paracetamol but im a mess just cried reading this cause i think im gonna miss it and have been so excited about this for more than 12 months :(

Wendy
27-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Hope you feel better soon Ann :hug2:

I'm the same as Kate, not because of the soaps though :lol:

It's costing a lot of money and I don't think this Country is going to get the income from it that they hoped.

On the news last night they were saying that they haven't even sold all the tickets for the opening ceremony tonight, so rather than have empty seats they are going to give them away.

I may watch some of the opening ceremony tonight, but that will be it I'm afraid :sorry:

I'm just glad we've got Sky :)

Britchick
27-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Lots of fluids, rest, vitamin c also go and see your pharmacist for advice on what you can take to make you feel a little better. Hope you feel better soon :hug2:

I'm really excited, disapointed to not be going but Jon was on a leave ban any way. Will enjoy watching as much as I can!

Beccaberry
27-07-2012, 05:59 PM
This time tomorrow I will be in the O2 arena watching the men's gymnastics live!

:mental: :mental: :mental: :mental:

That is amazing. I'm dead jealous :)

I love the Olympics. I love the fanfare, the stories, the athletes - I love it all. I have loved it since I was a little girl tumbling around in our living room pretending I was an Olympic gymnast and using our large Persian area rug as the mat for my magnificient "floor routine." I would stand at the corner, salute, and go cartwheeling across the room until my mother nearly sold me to the circus (her exact words after one particularly amusing "vault" off the arm of the couch, using her mini trampoline as a springboard).

I have a soft spot for these particular Olympics as they are in the UK, where so many of my friends are (from here of course!). I remember YEARS ago, when it was first decided that the Olympics would be in London, Dawn and I joking about myself (and half the rest of the discussion forum) coming over and taking up residence in her house so we could attend. And, even though things didn't quite work out the way we dreamed them, there is still a measure of magic in remembering the dream. So, yes, I'll be watching every day.

OOH! Also, a dear friend's niece is competing on the women's Archery team for the USA, so I'll be watching her as well!

Britchick
27-07-2012, 06:20 PM
on antibiotics and paracetamol but im a mess just cried reading this cause i think im gonna miss it and have been so excited about this for more than 12 months :(

The amount of time youve got is a lot when taking antibiotics! Positive thinking :thumbsup:

Skywatcher
27-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Danny Boyle take a bow.

What an awesome inspiring humbling hilarious epic celebration if being British that was.

I am not ashamed to admit I was on the verge of tears throughout.

Other nations may not get it

But that was truely superb

Surely even the most hardened cynic must have raised a smile at that.

Bejing was a display of perfect control in more ways than one.

London was a display of pure class, bonkers humour and epic cool.

Frankly I couldn't care less if anyone disagrees ;)

Britchick
27-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Good evening Mr Bond!

Beccaberry
27-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Watching it here at 8 with friends...having an Opening Ceremony/Opening Vodka party :)

Can't wait.

Mari
28-07-2012, 12:18 AM
I love the Olympics!

Really liked the Opening Ceremony :)

How exciting to have it happening in your country!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tink
28-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Danny Boyle take a bow.

What an awesome inspiring humbling hilarious epic celebration if being British that was.

I am not ashamed to admit I was on the verge of tears throughout.

Other nations may not get it

But that was truely superb

Surely even the most hardened cynic must have raised a smile at that.

Bejing was a display of perfect control in more ways than one.

London was a display of pure class, bonkers humour and epic cool.

Frankly I couldn't care less if anyone disagrees ;)

Who is disagreeing with you? Shall I smack them twice or ten? I saw most of the opening ceremonies. Lost the plot, but it sure was pagentry!

Looking forward to the games starting. First favorites are the winter Olympics, but summer games are close seconds.

Johnie
28-07-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm watching. I love all of the pomp and circumstance. I imagine it's a logistics nightmare but how amazing would it be to be right there in the middle of it all??!!

I also just cried watching the children sing the UK national anthem. I did not know the tune was the same as our country tis of thee. I learn something new every day.

My most favorite memories if my childhood are pretending to be Nadia K. I so wanted to be a gymnast.

Dawn
28-07-2012, 06:10 AM
It was perfect. History, culture, a touch of British humour.

So proud right now.

Dawn
28-07-2012, 06:12 AM
I remember YEARS ago, when it was first decided that the Olympics would be in London, Dawn and I joking about myself (and half the rest of the discussion forum) coming over and taking up residence in her house so we could attend. And, even though things didn't quite work out the way we dreamed them, there is still a measure of magic in !

The room is still available...

Sam
28-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Just finished watching the ceremony this morning, (thank god for Sky+). It was well put together. I must admit there were a couple of times I thought it was bit bonkers, but it was spectacular. The atmosphere there must have been electric.

I did feel a bit emotional when the flams was being brought into the stadium, but I think that was because my lovely niece, who is in pallative care, got to carry the torch in Swansea back in May. It was special to think that she has been a part of it. Before her illness took hold she was actually in the Welsh Swimming team for the Para-Olympics.

The finish was brilliant, what a fantastic idea to introduce 7 young future Olympians to bring the ceremony to and end and to light the beacon, which was beautiful I might add

Skywatcher
28-07-2012, 08:27 AM
It was a perfect cauldron. Each individual petal brought in by each nation.

Lit not by celebrities but by the future

Then all the segments rise as one.

Beautiful genius

Tink
28-07-2012, 08:40 AM
I am so disgusted with myself. :( I fell asleep and missed the finale. :(

Skywatcher
28-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Some Americans on twitter asking why Abe Lincoln was in it

Oh dear

Our Dawnie is in London Baby :)

Claire
28-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Oh dear

We called him Abraham Wallander. :D

Skywatcher
28-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Pink floyd playing for the lighting of the torch, nearly passed out ;)

Beccaberry
28-07-2012, 11:41 AM

Oh dear

We heard a few of those comments...though admittedly that was after several healthy shots of tequila ;-)

Enjoyed it all very much. Especially loved the bit with Rowan Atkinson ;). Maybe could have done without the very large sleeping baby at the end of that one segment, though :) a bit creepy!

Am waiting (not so patiently) for photos from Dawn and hoping she is having an incredible day!

Wendy
28-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I am so disgusted with myself. :( I fell asleep and missed the finale. :(

You weren't the only once, I gave up and went to bed after the lighting of the flame. I was very disappointed, it was all too hectic and manic for me and I obviously don't have a traditional English sense of humour :shrug:

Oh dear

:yes: I can see that, I wondered the same think. I asked Chris who the heck he was supposed to be :shrug: I should imagine it was very confusing for people over the world.

Skywatcher
28-07-2012, 12:32 PM
She is on a boat and just gone under tower bridge. :mental:

catrancher
28-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Didn't get to watch the opening ceremonies last night and am soooooo sorry I missed them. Now I'm going to have to wait until the IOC gives it blessing for a video version. :thumbsdown:

However, this morning I found someone on Vimeo who had evidently skated around the IOC blackout on such things and my DW and I got to see the Queen and James Bond bit all the way through.

Brilliant! :thumbsup:

Stark, raving, brilliant! :thumbsup:

And so definitively British!

As my DW said after seeing it. Nobody will ever top that one!

Tom (:macwave:... now I gotta find the whole thing on video somewhere...)

Skywatcher
28-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Hope you can Tom. There were some stunning moments for sure.

Skywatcher
28-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Dawn is on the Olympic park!

Britchick
28-07-2012, 01:37 PM
What time is her session Chris? Want to make sure I see the same event as them! That's if I can wrestle the remote control off my MAMIL!

josh.p.
28-07-2012, 01:57 PM
There is a lot of criticism over the choice of who lit the cauldron. I thought it was a good touch and it probably would have been too hard to chose just one person, it was perfect.

I didn't really have any interest in the olympics but last night's ceremony was really something special.

Skywatcher
28-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Dawns seats ... Ready to go in 15 minshttp://img.tapatalk.com/5accaef1-f222-c2d2.jpg

keith
28-07-2012, 02:36 PM
There is a lot of criticism over the choice of who lit the cauldron. I thought it was a good touch and it probably would have been too hard to chose just one person, it was perfect.

I didn't really have any interest in the olympics but last night's ceremony was really something special.

yeah I mean there'll always be criticism and that's fine and to be expected. I scanned through the twitter comments this morning and there was nothing that stood out as anything more than a subjective "well I didn't like that". Everything seemed to work well and it was very British. As you say the lighting was very well done indeed.

The flag march went on forever, but then it always does.

All in all I'm pleased that it went so well and that we didn't get any technical hitches letting the country down.

Skywatcher
28-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Interesting to read that during the moments silence for those loved ones lost and the victims of 7/7 ( the day after we won the Olympics ) NBC chose to cut to commercial and go to a phelps interview.

I'm actually sickened by that

catrancher
28-07-2012, 04:28 PM
NBC chose to cut to commercial and go to a phelps interview.

I'm hearing lots of complaints about NBC's coverage. No real surprise. Over here NBC is also know as "Nothing But Cr@p"

Tom (:macwave:... quick, let's screw up a once in a lifetime event!)

Tink
28-07-2012, 04:33 PM
What is WRONG with NBC! :hopmad:

Waxing nostalgic for the ABC days and John Cameron Swayze. "The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat." Back when the focus was on true amateur sport with no "dream team" nonsense. Focus too was on the athletes and NOT just the top three. Anyone in the Olympics had to qualify, so deserves a moment in the spotlight, not just the "winners."

And I am OVEROVEROVEROVER the Kobe Bryant Syndrome. :sigh:

Bring back true competition and focus on the stories of the athletes! Remember Crazy Eddie?! Who (that knew them) can forget the Jamaican Bobsledding Team??? Those are the memories.

Bah. I rant. Back to the Olympics and the beautiful glimpses of London...

Beccaberry
28-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah that ^^^

daveann
28-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Well the opening ceremony wow watched in bed between naps I kept thinking this is so wrong that it's right I don't know what I mean but it was awesome :) today I watched the cycling most of the day thinking gb flipping go for it now but they didn't listen to me :(anyway I'm back in bed Dave rang his son to go to the Olympics tomorrow with him but he wasn't keen this was followed by me crying and being a total wuss (hadn't realized how much I wanted to go) so it may finish me off but I'm going :) tink I will pass along your comments to Kobe tomorrow as its USA basketball were going to see :)btw its our 3 year wedding anniversary and the dinner was take away fish and chips shared in bed :lol:

catrancher
28-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Who (that knew them) can forget the Jamaican Bobsledding Team???

And if you did happen to forget, then go rent "Cool Runnings"! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... who wants in? Nobody?)

Skywatcher
28-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Oh Ann that's that's great. Pretty sure the emotion and the buzz will sustain you. You will be gutted if you miss it.

Know what you mean about the ceremony. Thought of Mick when I saw Del Boy falling through the bar on the screen briefly.

Too much to take in in one viewing and I'm pretty sure the close up view on the telly didn't do the overall effect justice. So much wonderful music.

Still in awe of it all

Bought the album on iTunes :)

All good wishes for a rapid recovery

Our Dawn is on her way home saying it was just awesome :)

Tinkfan
29-07-2012, 05:48 AM
:worship: :yes:I think the whole evening was awe inspiring! From Peter pan to her Magesty, Lord Voldemort, the pastorial age, everything! Even the quip on Carriots Of fire. The childrens choir were lovely. Well done :yes:

Dawn
29-07-2012, 06:16 AM
It was truly awesome. Not just the being in the arena and watching stuff but the whole day. From the moment we stepped on the train the true spirit of being British was on show.

There will be many photos and I'll do a trip report later today. While watching the Olympics.

London can be very proud.

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Cannot wait Dawn

Countdown for our adventure in 6 days forecast is pretty dire at the moment and I'm a little anxious about the baby on those busy trains.

NBC have stated the chose to cut our tribute to terrorist victims as it 'wasn't tailored to an American audience'

Can you imagine if we'd cut 9/11 tributes

Stunned

Tink
29-07-2012, 09:25 AM
NBC doesn't speak for me or any American I know. They are a media giant that controls what they feed the gullible. I am disgusted by their fake excuse, and do not accept it any more than you condone it. They have no idea what the "American Audience taste" is, and have clearly demonstrated that.

Give me true news, that's why I listen to the BBC on my way to work. I get a global perspective and not the last forty minutes of what some celebrity is doing with her/his marriage.

I'm going to try really hard not to rant on about this, but the failure to show the memorial portion is not a failure of the American people, rather a betrayal of those entrusted to bring us World coverage.

Britchick
29-07-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm going to try really hard not to rant on about this, but the failure to show the memorial portion is not a failure of the American people, rather a betrayal of those entrusted to bring us World coverage.

we really don't think that for one moment :hug2:

there were Americans killed though weren't there on that day?

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 10:27 AM
:hug2: wasn't intended to be aimed at you at all Tink.

Unfortunately his royal Mittness has not been a great ambassador for your country over here the last week or so.

Obama however certainly has ,as as always the athletes and visitors

Wendy
29-07-2012, 10:27 AM
.................. but the failure to show the memorial portion is not a failure of the American people, rather a betrayal of those entrusted to bring us World coverage.

:hug2: I don't hink people would think that anyway and anyone who thinks that does is just plain stupid :hug2:

The press here are saying today that there were rows and rows of empty seats at all venues :unsure:

keith
29-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately his royal Mittness has not been a great ambassador for your country over here the last week or so.

Don't even get me started on this one. Just someone promise me he won't get elected. Please.

Obama however certainly has ,as as always the athletes and visitors

absolutely :yes:

Dawn
29-07-2012, 10:34 AM
The numerous Americans mingling with us at the gymastics yesterday were a real credit to your country.

Off to post report and photos now. :thumbsup:

uscwest
29-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Taped the opening ceremony and finishing watching it this AM. I too have to admit that the ceremonies were impressive. However, I also have to agree that NBC's coverage is appalling.

daveann
29-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Well we are at the Olympic park awesome doesnt begin to describe it

Wendy
29-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Have fun and I hope you're feeling a bit better :hug2:

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 11:47 AM
The empty seats are a combination of corporate seats (which happens at every sporting event) and seats reserved for athletes to watch the events of their teammates , however as its right at the very start most are preparing for their own events

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 11:48 AM

:D

Beccaberry
29-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Ann, hope you guys have an AMAZING day!

Dawn
29-07-2012, 12:32 PM

:mental: :mental: :mental:

Beccaberry
29-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Have enjoyed seeing the countryside go by as the women compete in the road race. Beautiful!

Dawn
29-07-2012, 12:33 PM
I just managed to get tickets to a paralympics athletics session - we'll be in the olympic park on 3rd September. :thumbsup:

Dawn
29-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Have enjoyed seeing the countryside go by as the women compete in the road race. Beautiful!

We live 30 minutes from there! :thumbsup:

The camera gives no indication of how steep that hill truly is. :eek:

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 12:45 PM
And now it's caning down #Britain ;)

Beccaberry
29-07-2012, 01:00 PM
We live 30 minutes from there! :thumbsup:

The camera gives no indication of how steep that hill truly is. :eek:

Oh really!!? That's so cool!!

No the camera doesn't, but their leg muscles are certainly giving a glimpse! Is it the one they are calling Box Hill?

Dawn
29-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Couple of spectacular crashes now. :eek:

catrancher
29-07-2012, 01:41 PM
NBC have stated the chose to cut our tribute to terrorist victims as it 'wasn't tailored to an American audience'

And this is one reason that NBC is dead last of the big three networks in the TV ratings over here. They just don't have a clue. :hopmad:

Tom (:macwave:... morons...)

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Silver :)

Britchick
29-07-2012, 02:43 PM
well at least the ladies could pull it out of the bag in the cycling :tongue: daren't say that out loud in this house though LOL

Dawn
29-07-2012, 02:46 PM
That was really bizarre - they were cycling on roads that I drive on regularly. Well done girl!

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Anyone else struggling to watch it all ? We have phones iPads TVs all on different sports !

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 02:48 PM
You'd have thought they would have wiped the mud out if her snot before they interviewed Nicole :lol:

Dawn
29-07-2012, 03:00 PM
this morning we had the TV and 3 laptops going - rowing, volleyball, fencing, beach volleyball. We've also had cycling, kayaking, handball and gymnastics on.

catrancher
29-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Here's an interesting contrast for you.

In 1996, when the summer games were here in Atlanta, my employer "encouraged" everyone who could to work from home. Since I'm in technology, they gave us laptops and we could dial into the office to get our email and such.

At the time, that was 9600 baud dial up. :couchsleep:
Took me about half an hour just to get on to get my email in the morning. At that time, that's pretty much all our network connection was used for. That and telnet terminal connections. No web browser. No Youtube. No Google. None of the things we take for granted today.

********* Time Passes ****************

Fast forward 16 years to today.

Now, everybody has broad band access. Streaming video. Pictures. Music. Instant search and answers via Google, Yahoo and such. Answers from Wikipedia. Live event coverage. Even social media like Facebook and Twitter. Mobil internet access on their phones and of course, iPads and other tablet devices.

It's a heck of a contrast. Wonder where we'll be in another 16 years? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... kind of a corollary to Moore's Law.)

Dawn
29-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Here's another interesting snippet about the 1996 games. I was in New Orleans when the torch came to town and was right at the front when the cauldron was lit.

So I've seen it twice at 2 different games. :wiggle:

josh.p.
29-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Dad currently has the F1 on :sigh: I'm not that much into my sports but I did watch a little bit of the cycling yesterday, and there was also some Judo at one point.

Do we have any medals yet? (I am totally clueless so no idea when they give them out) :unsure:

Britchick
29-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Tom, it takes me 30 minutes to log into my work computer now! It's pathetic as they spend a lot of money per machine

catrancher
29-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Tom, it takes me 30 minutes to log into my work computer now! It's pathetic as they spend a lot of money per machine

If it's like my work computer which is Windows based, they've probably got so many GPO's and stuff loading that it's a wonder you can ever get anything done. :shocked:

But in the above case, I wasn't counting logon time. In those days with the laptops they gave us, I had to start logging in about six in the morning so I'd be ready to go by eight!

Tom (:macwave:... well, maybe not that bad but certainly nothing like today.)

Johnie
29-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Ugh don't get me started on my work computer. It's awful.

Britchick
29-07-2012, 06:25 PM
It's pretty horrendous when it's all fired up too! I think it's windows 97 or something! Ugh and I hate outlook! I think it's 2003, it puts everything under each other in the reading pane, I can't tell you how many times I've replied to myself

keith
29-07-2012, 06:34 PM
But in the above case, I wasn't counting logon time. In those days with the laptops they gave us, I had to start logging in about six in the morning so I'd be ready to go by eight!

hehe I don't think it's possible for people who missed the early days of 9600 (or 150/75!) baud modems to come anywhere close to understanding what it was like.

I think you folks in the states still had free local calls though? it was worse in the UK where every minute on the modem cost several pence and home phone bills were routinely over 1000 (and sometimes much much higher) for relatively little internet access minutes.

As I sit here with an always on 80Mbs down/20Mbs up - it's a very different world today.

And for Tom and other techies to appreciate, when we started one of the UK's first Internet providers in 1994, our internet line to support all our users was 64Kb/s and it lasted us a good long while too despite having loads of users :lol:

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I remember plugging my uncles Zx spectrum into one of those old telephone modems that took the reviever. The 'Internet' then was like ham radio :lol:

Anyway , back to the pool :)

Dawn
29-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Who let Keith in the Olympic thread. :toetap:

keith
29-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Who let Keith in the Olympic thread. :toetap:

Well as you know I had no real interest but then the organisers contacted me to say I could sponsor the thread and have anyone else called Keith or attempting to use any competing names arrested and fined! I said well ok :/ but how am I gonna get there. Anyway turns out I could pay a few grand more and use the nearly empty olympic lanes and I'd get my own escort to the thread. Fine but then are there any seats left in the thread ;( turns out there were LOADS!!!! So I've got a couple of hundred free seats to this thread if anyone wants one, it's looking a bit bare on the photos at the moment :/

Anyway I may only be here for the champagne and the social side of things hic but I figure I've paid enough for it over the last seven years that I may as well stick around and get what I can!

:wiggle::wave:

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Well done Becky ! A fantastic swim and a phenomenal response from the crowd!

keith
29-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Well done Becky ! A fantastic swim and a phenomenal response from the crowd!

DW is watching that, explains the clapping from the other room then :)

Dawn
29-07-2012, 07:36 PM
I nearly broke the sofa...:lol:

Adrian is rolling his eyes.

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Backstroke guy did well :yes:

keith
29-07-2012, 07:45 PM
I nearly broke the sofa...:lol:

Adrian is rolling his eyes.

:lol:

we're suffering from channel overload here too though. I'm watching the football and I have to say, I think the young team is doing much better than the "proper" England team has been. OK, they're perhaps not the most experience but there's some heart and feeling going into the game.

Meanwhile DW is watching swimming and at least two other events on the laptop as well as texting me to find out the results of other stuff :/

catrancher
29-07-2012, 07:49 PM
And for Tom and other techies to appreciate, when we started one of the UK's first Internet providers in 1994, our internet line to support all our users was 64Kb/s and it lasted us a good long while too despite having loads of users :lol:

Awww... the old poor man's T3 with single trunk! :ROFL:

Well as you know I had no real interest but then the organisers contacted me to say I could sponsor the thread and have anyone else called Keith or attempting to use any competing names arrested and fined! I said well ok :/ but how am I gonna get there. Anyway turns out I could pay a few grand more and use the nearly empty olympic lanes and I'd get my own escort to the thread. Fine but then are there any seats left in the thread ;( turns out there were LOADS!!!! So I've got a couple of hundred free seats to this thread if anyone wants one, it's looking a bit bare on the photos at the moment :/

Anyway I may only be here for the champagne and the social side of things hic but I figure I've paid enough for it over the last seven years that I may as well stick around and get what I can!

:wiggle::wave:

:ROFL: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75186662/smilies/tracy.gif https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75186662/smilies/lmaof.gif https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75186662/smilies/loco.gif

Tom (:macwave:... oh.... give the man a Gold for Olympic BS!)

Deb
29-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Also, I have to say that the Red Button coverage thing on the BBC is amazing! The fact you can see whatever sport is going on at any time! The remote control is getting a hammering I have to say.

So excited about Becky Adlington - that was an AMAZING swim!!! Lots of jumping up and down here, shouting very loudly, and scaring all of the animals in the house :yes:

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Keith watching Olympics shock ;)

keith
29-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Also, I have to say that the Red Button coverage thing on the BBC is amazing! The fact you can see whatever sport is going on at any time! The remote control is getting a hammering I have to say.

absolutely brilliant use of technology. We have a go at the beeb, justifiably a lot of the time, but the way they've covered the games has been nothing short of amazing.

I bet, and hope, that tons of young people have found themselves tuned into a sport they otherwise never would've thought about and perhaps been inspired by it.

keith
29-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Keith watching Olympics shock ;)

:panda:

keith
29-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Tom (:macwave:... oh.... give the man a Gold for Olympic BS!)

have to do my bit and it may well be the only Gold we keep in the UK yah know :yes:

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Very proud of team GB , we are but a tiny little Isle in the grand scheme of things but I think we have put a team out for pretty much every single event.
Nothing , but nothing is more British than being the valiant underdog.

Ooo one more thing ... Absolutely no advertising in any of the arenas yet, have you noticed that

keith
29-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Nothing , but nothing is more British than being the valiant underdog.

With you on that one for sure

Ooo one more thing ... Absolutely no advertising in any of the arenas yet, have you noticed that

I haven't watched enough to be honest but as I look now after you've mentioned it yep that's certainly true on the football. Surprising but excellent!

josh.p.
29-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm all about the medals... what have we won?! LOL

I know in the swimming we just won a bronze, right? (I'm such a sportsphobe it's unreal)

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Silver in cycling as well Josh but TBH it's very very early days and noone realistically expected Becky to get Bronze. Staggering that she beat her gold medal time tonight without the slippery suit and still managed 3rd. Even she tweeted earlier that she expected nothing

Skywatcher
29-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Still can't really get used to people using 'medal' as a verb

Of course all this time I had assumed Daphne,Fred,Thelma,Shaggy and Scooby were being interfering...turns out they may well have been Olympic athletes of some renown

(sorry)

daveann
29-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Just home and dead on my feet but I have had an amazing day the Olympic park is out of this world the size is unreal but what a place it was amazing will update tomorrow but believe me if your going your in for a treat it's brilliant :)

uscwest
30-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Here's an interesting contrast for you.

In 1996, when the summer games were here in Atlanta, my employer "encouraged" everyone who could to work from home. Since I'm in technology, they gave us laptops and we could dial into the office to get our email and such.

At the time, that was 9600 baud dial up. :couchsleep:
Took me about half an hour just to get on to get my email in the morning. At that time, that's pretty much all our network connection was used for. That and telnet terminal connections. No web browser. No Youtube. No Google. None of the things we take for granted today.

********* Time Passes ****************

Fast forward 16 years to today.

Now, everybody has broad band access. Streaming video. Pictures. Music. Instant search and answers via Google, Yahoo and such. Answers from Wikipedia. Live event coverage. Even social media like Facebook and Twitter. Mobil internet access on their phones and of course, iPads and other tablet devices.

It's a heck of a contrast. Wonder where we'll be in another 16 years? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... kind of a corollary to Moore's Law.)

Well, assuming I make it another 16 years I imagine we'll all have implantable micro chips so that we can watch what we want, when we want.

Dawn
30-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Just home and dead on my feet but I have had an amazing day the Olympic park is out of this world the size is unreal but what a place it was amazing will update tomorrow but believe me if your going your in for a treat it's brilliant :)

:mental: :mental: :mental:

Skywatcher
30-07-2012, 06:47 AM
:mental:

catrancher
30-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I would like to register an Olympic complaint. :mad:

<rant>

I tried to go look at Olympic merchandise online. According to Google, this is the URL for the official London 2012 Olympic merchandise shop:

http://shop.london2012.com

Yet, whenever I try to access that page, I'm automatically redirected to:

http://www.teamusashop.com

Now I realize this is because I'm in the US. Fair enough. But wouldn't it be possible that I might want to browse the items on offer for other countries also? I might not buy a Czech Republic Badminton jersey but I'd still like to look. You never know what commemorative items you might come across.

</rant>

Tom (:macwave:... just sayin' :snooty:)

Dawn
30-07-2012, 11:14 AM

*ahem* :toetap:

Beccaberry
30-07-2012, 12:22 PM

<rant>

I tried to go look at Olympic merchandise online. According to Google, this is the URL for the official London 2012 Olympic merchandise shop:

Now I realize this is because I'm in the US. Fair enough. But wouldn't it be possible that I might want to browse the items on offer for other countries also? I might not buy a Czech Republic Badminton jersey but I'd still like to look. You never know what commemorative items you might come across.

</rant>

Fail

Wendy
30-07-2012, 01:24 PM
See if this link (http://shop.london2012.com/Mens-Olympic-T-shirts-and-Hoodies/Mens-casualwear,default,sc.html) will help you Tom :unsure:

catrancher
30-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks Wendy but nope. It bounces me right back to the TeamUSA site. :hopmad:

Tom (:macwave:... talk about petty...)

Dawn
30-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Is there no tiny link at the bottom of the page or anything? When I go to the US Disney site it automatically routes me to the UK site but there is an override link at the bottom.

catrancher
30-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Is there no tiny link at the bottom of the page or anything? When I go to the US Disney site it automatically routes me to the UK site but there is an override link at the bottom.

Nope. :thumbsdown:

I guess I'm going to have to find a UK proxy.

Tom (:macwave:... getting more irritated by the minute...)

Wendy
30-07-2012, 02:36 PM
I use ultrasurf as a proxy, don't know if it will work for you?

Dawn
30-07-2012, 02:40 PM
DIVING!

I have no fingernails left.:unsure:

Wendy
30-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Guttted for Tom, I know the family personally and they are lovely. Tom will be devastated :( :sigh:

Dawn
30-07-2012, 03:30 PM
:sigh:

Skywatcher
30-07-2012, 03:40 PM
What a crowd noise though! amazing :yes:

catrancher
30-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I use ultrasurf as a proxy, don't know if it will work for you?

Nope. Thanks Wendy. I'm trying to find one but so far, they're all either ridiculously slow or just don't work. I may give up. It wasn't that important. Just thought it would be nice if they actually allowed me to choose what I wanted to do.

Tom (:macwave:... too much other stuff to do to worry about it anymore.)

Watchinherskip
30-07-2012, 03:53 PM

I know what you mean, saw the men's and women's cycling and the course looked lovely....I WANT to go there!

In a way it was sort of like a virtual tour wasn't it?

Skywatcher
30-07-2012, 04:06 PM

<rant>

</rant>

What do you want my friend - I owe you a favour :D

Skywatcher
30-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I know what you mean, saw the men's and women's cycling and the course looked lovely....I WANT to go there!

In a way it was sort of like a virtual tour wasn't it?

The countryside they rode through really is what 99% of Britain is like

You are most welcome to come and stay anytime :yes:

Dawn
30-07-2012, 04:24 PM

That countryside typifies the south of england; out of town it's all like that. The hills aren't all that steep though - that one is speshall. :wink:

Dawn
30-07-2012, 04:25 PM
What overpriced merchandise do you want then Tom?

They have a nice selection of pins actually. :mental:

Watchinherskip
30-07-2012, 04:44 PM

Well it was stunning. There was what looked to be a cool pub on the Boxhill (sp?) section right next to the course...how cool is that? Then there was another cool building right next to the bridge coming back to London. It was on the left side just over the Thames I guess....I want to go there!! Could it be another cool pub?

catrancher
30-07-2012, 04:47 PM
What do you want my friend - I owe you a favour :D

What overpriced merchandise do you want then Tom?

They have a nice selection of pins actually. :mental:

Thanks kids. :thumbsup:

But that's the point. I don't know. :unsure:
Since I can't get to the site, I can't browse. And since I can't browse, I can't decide which stuff to waste money on.

It's such a quandary. :surrender:

Tom (:macwave:... at least Chris could look. I can't even do that!)

catrancher
30-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Could it be another cool pub?

Is there such a thing as an un-cool one? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... I've never met a bar I didn't like! :bar:)

Watchinherskip
30-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Is there such a thing as an un-cool one? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... I've never met a bar I didn't like! :bar:)

....been to some sketchy ones...but yeah...with you there pal

Watchinherskip
30-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Was too tired to stay up last night...and my guy Casy didn't make the whitewater slalom cut (came in 14th) but did anyone see the kayaking? Where is that venue?

Skywatcher
30-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Silver boys gymnastics ! Stunning noone thought they'd get to the final. The crowd go wild including prince William.
Ordinary kids getting their moment of glory.

This is what it's all about. Do we care about the colour ? Nope. Epic stuff

Skywatcher
30-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Gutted it was demoted after the inquiry but still it was an awesome achievement

Watchinherskip
30-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Oh, found the venue for kayaking...it is the Lee Valley White Water Center or as you say Centre...hehe

Where the heck is that? It is like our National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, NC. It is an artificial course but looks like FUN!!!!

Dawn
30-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Considering invading Japan. :mad:

Claire
30-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Considering invading Japan. :mad:

What have they done?

Dawn
30-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Fell over, cried, and got a silver medal, pushing our boys down to bronze.

Claire
30-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Fell over, cried, and got a silver medal, pushing our boys down to bronze.

Right. Count me in. Can we pick up some sushi too?

Dawn
30-07-2012, 07:21 PM
No. No sushi. We must rub wasabi on their private parts.

Dawn
30-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Is anyone watching the women's epee - right old drama going on there.

Claire
30-07-2012, 07:40 PM
No. No sushi. We must rub wasabi on their private parts.

:unsure:

Is anyone watching the women's epee - right old drama going on there.

I'm still on swimming.

josh.p.
30-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Silver boys gymnastics ! Stunning noone thought they'd get to the final. The crowd go wild including prince William.
Ordinary kids getting their moment of glory.

This is what it's all about. Do we care about the colour ? Nope. Epic stuff
A few months ago, my friends interviewed Daniel Purvis from the boy Gymnastics team about his training for the olympics!

Dawn
31-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Tom can you see this?

http://shop.london2012.com/olympic-pin-badges/Collectables-Pin-Badges,default,sc.html

Tink
31-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Nope. Flashes on the screen then immediately redirects you to "Team USA." It is really annoying. Nothing like having your decisions made for you by some server. :hopmad:

Dawn
31-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Wonder what happens if I try to go to the Team USA site? :unsure:

Dawn
31-07-2012, 09:52 AM
OMG I want this, it's not available on our UK site. :mental:

http://www.teamusashop.com/Olympics_USA_London_2012/London_2012_Olympics_Glitter_Rainbow_Icon_Pin

Deb
31-07-2012, 10:48 AM
OMG I want this, it's not available on our UK site. :mental:

http://www.teamusashop.com/Olympics_USA_London_2012/London_2012_Olympics_Glitter_Rainbow_Icon_Pin

Now I really like that!!! :yes:

catrancher
31-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Tom can you see this?

http://shop.london2012.com/olympic-pin-badges/Collectables-Pin-Badges,default,sc.html

I think I've lost my mind. I thought I replied to this earlier but now it's gone! :eek:

Anyway... thanks Dawn. But no. I can't see it. Just like Tink. What's happening is that any attempt to connect to a URL that starts with "shop.london2012.com" is being caught. Before the web site serves anything, it looks at what the referrers IP address is and if it's a US address, it redirects the browser to the TeamUSA site. Makes our decisions for us so to speak. Morons! :mad:

Anyway, I haven't given up totally. I'm still looking for a solution. :evil:

Tom (:macwave:... obviously too stupid to decide for himself)

Dawn
31-07-2012, 03:28 PM
No help to Tom but on the official site if you enter the code SPORTFREE you get free standard delivery now.:thumbsup:

josh.p.
31-07-2012, 06:52 PM
I think I've lost my mind. I thought I replied to this earlier but now it's gone! :eek:

Anyway... thanks Dawn. But no. I can't see it. Just like Tink. What's happening is that any attempt to connect to a URL that starts with "shop.london2012.com" is being caught. Before the web site serves anything, it looks at what the referrers IP address is and if it's a US address, it redirects the browser to the TeamUSA site. Makes our decisions for us so to speak. Morons! :mad:

Anyway, I haven't given up totally. I'm still looking for a solution. :evil:

Tom (:macwave:... obviously too stupid to decide for himself)
Have you tried using a proxy? :unsure:

catrancher
31-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Have you tried using a proxy? :unsure:

Yep. Agonizingly slow and unreliable. Still looking for one that's worth the effort. :sigh:

Tom (:macwave:... not a fan of slow...)

Wendy
31-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Tom have you got Firefox on your Mac :unsure: I could scrapbook the pages and email them to you :unsure: there will be a lot though :lol:

catrancher
31-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Tom have you got Firefox on your Mac :unsure: I could scrapbook the pages and email them to you :unsure: there will be a lot though :lol:

Yes, I do Wendy. Thanks, but don't go to all that trouble. I'll find a way. It's a technical challenge for me. And I will beat it!

Tom (:macwave:... they better watch out, they've exposed my hacker side!)

Dawn
31-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Apparently it's due to NBC having exclusive coverage in the USA. They've got "blocks" out everywhere to stop you going anywhere that's not in the US.

Wendy
31-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Yes, I do Wendy. Thanks, but don't go to all that trouble. I'll find a way. It's a technical challenge for me. And I will beat it!

Tom (:macwave:... they better watch out, they've exposed my hacker side!)

If you change your mind, I'll give it to Chris to do for you :lol: it will keep him quiet :lol:

Wendy
31-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Apparently it's due to NBC having exclusive coverage in the USA. They've got "blocks" out everywhere to stop you going anywhere that's not in the US.

Blimey, it's like being in China :rolleyes:

Dawn
01-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Steven's teacher is hockey fanatic and yesterday she went to see Team GB play hockey. I don't think she'll ever speak a coherent sentence again. :mental:

Got friends at rowing, badminton and fencing today. Truly is capturing the nation.

Dawn
01-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Ohohohohohohoh

Who saw the interview with Chad's dad last night. Legendary!:thumbsup:

Deb
01-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Ohohohohohohoh

Who saw the interview with Chad's dad last night. Legendary!:thumbsup:

That was just brilliant! :thumbsup:

Dawn
01-08-2012, 08:21 AM
For those who haven't seen it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072220

Unbelievable!

uscwest
01-08-2012, 11:10 AM
For those who haven't seen it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072220

Unbelievable!

Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory. :sorry:

Dawn
01-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Aaaerrrrrgggghhhhh what happened to the global internet? :mad:

Skywatcher
01-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Right , sorry nmot been on , ridiculously busy - thanks for updates Dawn

Hugely proud of our golden girls - heard the end of the race as I was driving - Alan Green the stalwart commentator was in tears - the crowd noise was unbelievable - and the crowd singing the anthem was just so moving.

Bronze in the 8's was a valiabt effort - we led the Germans for a while first time anyone has done that for 4 years ! - they went for it and relinquised the silver to go for it - they are brave and worthy heros

Wiggo is currently leading and Froome in Bronze :D

Spoken to a chap whos former team GB daughter took him to the whiff whaff yesterday - he said he has been withher all around the world to tournaments but the crowd was like nothing he had ever seen and this wasn't even for team GB - again another stoical gent almost brought to tears through pride

This olympics is something very very special

The badminton was a disgrace and has been properly punished - it was arccal and I feel so sorry for the paying public

josh.p.
01-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Both times we got gold I've been out with Nando.. should I walk him constantly for the next two weeks?

Skywatcher
01-08-2012, 03:20 PM
GOLD

I may grow mutton chops :D

Skywatcher
01-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Wiggins legend Froome an awesome 10 days

Such humble guys as well

Incredible day

Silver by the tinyest margins in the pool as well. Took a WR to beat him.

Today was a good day

uscwest
01-08-2012, 11:14 PM
They were saying on the news that the spectators may get refunds from Badminton.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dawn
02-08-2012, 07:06 AM
They should get the disqualified athletes to pay back all those ticket holders. Disgraceful.

I heard a man on the radio yesterday. He had paid 200 to take his family and that was the only session they got tickets to. Not exactly the Olympic memory they were hoping for. :mad:

Dawn
02-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Josh you need to be out at 12.10 today please for the men's rowing. :D

Skywatcher
02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
We will win well

Looking forward to Victoria Pendleton later :D

Dawn
02-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Well the error has been corrected but earlier today the NBC Olympic website had Australia in Europe next to the Czech Republic.

:laugh: Laughing stock of the world.

Skywatcher
02-08-2012, 10:07 AM
couple ofweeks ago it was doing the rounds on twitter

a picture of the ocntinent of australia and the text underneath stating it was bordered by Switzerland and the Alps :lol:

Dawn
02-08-2012, 11:05 AM
OK Josh, out you go. :mental:

Dawn
02-08-2012, 11:19 AM
That was incredible. Steven has just told me to calm down and stop cheering so loudly. Amazing rowing final and silver to GB - only quarter of a second from gold. Well done to South Africa though. And the crowd were insane. :mental:

Skywatcher
02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
GB gutted because if they were given the right lane it probbaly would have been Gold

However aside from Sir Steves last gold medal that was THE best race I have ever seen - so exciting

Dawn
02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
One of the overriding memories I will take away from these games is the noise made by that crowd. Never say that Eton is too posh for cheering. That was mental and something I'll never forget.

Skywatcher
02-08-2012, 01:38 PM
One of my work partners was at the Gymnastics yesterday and said that was incredible - he has spent a LOT of money on tickets - he has been to Rowing , Box hill for the ladies, Gymnastics , Swimming, Athletics , Handball, and a few others but he says its a once in a lifetime event and so far it has surpassed his wildest dreams

Hard to say what has impressed me most - the organisation the crowds the coverage or the athletes

Think I'll tae the easy option and simply say 'Britain ' ;)

Dawn
02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Second time today I've been told off by Steven for cheering too loudly.

Gemma Gibbons through to the judo final. :mental:

Skywatcher
02-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Wow , just wow - Judo final for Gemma - so thats either gold or silver :mental:

Crowd seem happy :D

Skywatcher
02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Theres a gold a'comin' in the shootin' I can feels it ;)

Skywatcher
02-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Canoeing Gold and Silver :D

Dawn
02-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Cannot believe that I'm glued to trap shooting. :mental:

Dawn
02-08-2012, 02:46 PM
:pyramid::pyramid::pyramid:

uscwest
02-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Looks like your Gemma lost to an American.

Skywatcher
02-08-2012, 08:05 PM
She did indeed but it was an amazing story. It meant so much to her. At ippon she was in floods of tears and called thank you to her sadly departed mother. The crowd were in tears and on their feet.

The Olympics is about more than gold
Medals and that awful and pointless medal table. It's about the little stories of inspirational young and driven people who strive to better themselves.

Tink
03-08-2012, 12:10 AM
She did indeed but it was an amazing story. It meant so much to her. At ippon she was in floods of tears and called thank you to her sadly departed mother. The crowd were in tears and on their feet.

Medals and that awful and pointless medal table. It's about the little stories of inspirational young and driven people who strive to better themselves.

YES! YES! YES!!! It IS about the stories of the athletes! That's what the Olympics are all about! :yes: (Oh, and geography lessons). :ROFL1:

Dawn
03-08-2012, 07:22 AM
It appears we got a bit carried away in our house yesterday - one of our Team GB boom sticks has sprung a leak. :rotfl:

Track and Field starts today. :mental:

Dawn
03-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Nervous for Kath Grainger now - 3x silver medals.

Josh! Get out with the dog now! :mental:

Dawn
03-08-2012, 11:17 AM
GOLD!!!! :mental:

And we broke our other boom stick. :rotfl:

josh.p.
03-08-2012, 12:29 PM
GOLD!!!! :mental:

And we broke our other boom stick. :rotfl:
Maybe it is Nando being out of our house that does it.. we're at a family wedding and so he's in the kennels! We're fourth in the medal tables now..!

Watchinherskip
03-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Wow, great celebration for the team GB taking gold in C2 whitewater...outstandig job. I would have loved seeing that venue...heck actually paddling it would have been AWESOME!!:yes:

Watchinherskip
03-08-2012, 02:53 PM

True...so many compelling stories...love to hear them and the feelings of inspiration. One of our other networks used to cover the Olympics (ABC) and in my opinion did a more compelling job of getting "up close and personal" in segments. They were THE class act. Seems that today we have gone to a more glossing over of the competition and have a Hollywood Insider approach...cut down segments to just the kernals and not allowing you to go with the feeling of the competition. Maybe our short attention span is to blame (Thanks MTV! NOT)

Dawn
03-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Watching the men's trampolining finals - Steven has just taken up this sport.

Well we have a bit of a way to go yet son. :jawdrop:

Skywatcher
03-08-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm getting a bit excited :mental:

catrancher
03-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm getting a bit excited :mental:

Getting? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... judging by the posts, I thought you were way beyond that!)

josh.p.
03-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Victoria Pendleton's was the first gold I've actually seen... Draw dropping! Fell off the edge of my seat

Britchick
03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Vicky Pendelton is my hero!

just booked tickets to the manchester velodrome in October, anyone care to join us? LOL

Watchinherskip
03-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Hope the weather is cooperative for the track and field events. They seem to be getting started.

Skywatcher
03-08-2012, 06:57 PM
The men's team pursuit was awe inspiring. To beat the second best in the world by 4s is stunning.

So happy for Victoria and her other half.

Off to bed in a bit to get ready for the morning.

Everyone here is buzzing with the prospect of what tomorrow holds. Keep your fingers crossed for us that the weather isn't too bad, especially for little Ben

Skywatcher
03-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Managed to get one of them off to sleep. How cute ? Holding his Wenlock (stop giggling)

http://img.tapatalk.com/5accaef1-2952-3c9b.jpg

Tink
04-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Look at him. How beautiful is he!?

I simply don't understand NBC. Had to sit through a re-run of the 1996 Olympics (women's gymnastics) before they aired the current Olympics tonight? What is that all about? :hopmad: What? Not enough to show from THIS year? Sheesh.

Loved seeing the 17 year old swimmer win though. She was so excited! Plus, they showed Kate and William. :D

Dawn
04-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Expecting eleventy billion photos from your day Mr Skywatcher. :mental:

Dawn
04-08-2012, 06:50 AM
The Skywatchers are in London. :mental: :mental: :mental:

Skywatcher
04-08-2012, 08:10 AM
We are here. ! Raining but I don't care. Will not get a bad view of Jess !!http://img.tapatalk.com/5284eb95-d900-ad36.jpg

Tink
04-08-2012, 09:37 AM
So wish the rain would stop for you! I know you will all enjoy every minute regardless. Looking forward to seeing it through your eyes.

daveann
04-08-2012, 12:16 PM
my boys are safely up at the olympic park waiting for 2 oclock to get into the basketball areana to cheer on USA again :)

uscwest
04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I know NBC has been drawing millions, if not billions of viewers around the world. However, IMHO, their coverage has been appalling.

daveann
04-08-2012, 02:25 PM
im watching the basketball live on tv at the moment and it lost sound about 10 minutes ago :(

Skywatcher
04-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Just left the park for the long amble home. Very aware we have a newborn in these crowds but he has done amazingly as has Lisa.

Loads of photos to share at some point if you are interested :)

catrancher
04-08-2012, 06:47 PM
I know NBC has been drawing millions, if not billions of viewers around the world. However, IMHO, their coverage has been appalling.

Don't get me started! :mad:

Absolutely! About the only coverage I'll get since I absolutely refuse to watch NothingButCr@p slaughter what would otherwise be a wondrous event!

Tom (:macwave:... just pitiful!)

Skywatcher
04-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Back home safe and sound in time to cheer our Jess on again.

Boys declared it 'best day ever'

Even better than Disney or Discovery Cove

Claire
04-08-2012, 08:23 PM

:wave: Very interested here.

Tink
04-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Photos please!! :wiggle:

Britchick
04-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Glad you had a great day, it has been an incredible day for team GB

uscwest
05-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Definitely photos. Did you see the 10K? Great finish with GB& USA 1, 2.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sam
05-08-2012, 12:24 AM
I must admit I had a few tears in my eyes today. For someone who said I probably won't watch much I've been glued to the tv.

Well done team GB, we're very proud of you.

Dawn
05-08-2012, 07:39 AM
These young men and women should be the role models for our next generation, not the fame hungry Kardashians and reality TV fame grabbers.

Yesterday was legendary. :mental:

I can't see any photos yet. :unsure:

Tink
05-08-2012, 10:55 AM
I think role models are a product of what the family brings into the home, to a certain extent. The only "reality tv" we do here is Deadliest Catch, and the boy doesn't watch that.

He is watching the Olympics though and loving every minute.

Speaking of which, I know we've mentioned this here in the thread several times, but again this morning I'm left disgusted. I'm seeking out information on news feeds and clips that show the ENTIRE Olympic experience, not just the xenocentric nonsense that NBC is producing. They again were airing old gymnastic events instead of bringing us the current games.

I feel like we are in some information controlled country and only allowed to see what "they" want us to know. Too weird. Too frustrating.

So, please! Continue to share your Olympic news. It's the only way some of us are going to know the full extent of the games.

Skywatcher, those photos please? :hug2: :D

Skywatcher
05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm on it. Just doing jobs that were neglected yesterday :)

Seeing 80,000 people last night sing our anthem at the top of their lungs whilst Jess got the gold. Only minutes after Mo got his was all a bit much for us. Many tears :)

Watching Oscar Pistorius run past us was pretty humbling as well

Question in peace - do you think NBC assume that the US public are only interested in seeing American success ie Gold ? I know they do not speak for all America ,just a question :)

catrancher
05-08-2012, 01:01 PM
do you think NBC assume that the US public are only interested in seeing American success ie Gold ? I know they do not speak for all America ,just a question :)

I don't believe NothingButCr@p is capable of cognitive thought.

Forgive me but I get a little carried away by those morons. It is my fondest hope that everyone would completely boycott their Olympic "offerings" and would annoy the multitudes of advertisers enough to the point where they sue these twits and put them out of the broadcasting business forever!

Tom (:macwave:... can you tell I'm a little hot? :unsure:)

Dawn
05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm on it. Just doing jobs that were neglected yesterday :)

Pah! I've got jobs that have been neglected for over a week and won't get done next week either. :rotfl:

Last night was *insert adjectives here as I have run out*. So so amazing.

Can't wait for Friday at the volleyball - I have my Hello Tink sign. :D

Skywatcher
05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Fair comment but if I don't do the jobs Lisa will try and do them and she is banned :nono:

Just uploading from the camera 600 shots and thats after I deleted the blurred ones :lol:

Then mowing the lawn before I look at them. Hold tight. ....

Beccaberry
06-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Can't wait...

Have watched so many different and varied sports this time around...it's been amazing!

Deb
06-08-2012, 06:30 AM
One thing I have loved about this Olympics in the fantastic coverage we have here in the UK where the BBC have set up a load of extra channels. It means that on our tv we can watch any sport we want whenever it is is going on. I truly believe this has contributed to the amazing Olympic vibe we have going on in GB right now. This has meant watching sports we never would have before, just because it's the Olympics. It has been amazing, and I have found myself putting a previously obscure sport on my tv just so I am watching something and feel part of it. I can't believe what I am reading about the USA coverage, especially when I have just seen that the men's 100m sprint final was not shown live, as they chose to wait to show it during their prime time broadcasting (when of course everyone will know the result) :unsure: That is worse than shocking :nono:

I loved the tennis yesterday and seeing Andy Murray get a gold, as well as his silver along with Laura Robson, especially as they did not know they were in the doubles until a day or so before the competition started. I did have to listen to it on a battery operated radio though, as we had mega-thunderstorms here and lost electricity for a few hours! I am looking forward to the gymnastics today, and hoping that Beth Tweddle can get a gold at last :yes:

Dawn
06-08-2012, 07:36 AM
I agree about the extra channels. I have watched so much fencing this week - something you'd never previously been able to watch.

Our paralympic tickets were delivered this morning. I have to get up at stupid o'clock. :mental:

Tink
06-08-2012, 10:08 AM
We didn't have a speck of fencing, or judo, or the indoor cycling, or anything other than swimming, diving, track and field, basketball, and what seems like endless beach volley ball. I know there was others, but the point is that the coverage has been lousy, lousy and awful. :(

uscwest
06-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Tink, on the primary NBC networks I have to agree that coverage has been indeed spotty. But I guess it depends on how many stations you actually receive. They had a lot of obscure, seldom watched ones out there that may have had the other sports on them, though I had my hands full just trying to watch the main events.

josh.p.
07-08-2012, 02:08 PM
The mens triathlon was absolutely amazing!! The Brownlee brothers are absolutely dedicated to their sport, they didn't seem to falter for a single leg of it. The finish was just absolutely amazing!

Dawn
07-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Gold medal in the team dressage!!!

How can I get excited about horses doing fancy steps. :mental:

uscwest
07-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Gold medal in the team dressage!!!

How can I get excited about horses doing fancy steps. :mental:

One of the folks here at work said basically the same thing except his statement was more along the line of "I don't see what horses dancing has to do with the Olympics."

Dawn
07-08-2012, 05:32 PM
But the horses were fantastic. :mental:

And what must it feel like to be Chris Hoy? :thud:

Skywatcher
07-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Legend. Gutted for Victoria as she was clearly pushed. Still 7/10 golds in the velodrome is a good day at the office :)

Dawn
09-08-2012, 03:11 PM
How absolutely amazing was that Dressage competition. :jawdrop:

Couple of epic pile-ups in the BMX too. :point:

Skywatcher
09-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Lion king music was lovely in the dressage :yes: fabulous gold in the boxing and a smashing girl as well.

We are having a cracking Olympics.

Still so very proud.

Beccaberry
09-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm beginning to wonder what I'm going to watch after Sunday :sorry:

Thank goodness work will be starting again soon :)

Skywatcher
09-08-2012, 05:32 PM
These people are so inspirational. I will really miss it when it's gone.

3rd in the medal table is stunning stuff. Every day brings more astonishment.

Looking forward to the 200m tonight very much.

Wendy
11-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Tom Daley has won bronze :mental:

I am so proud of him, it will be party time at the Daleys tonight :D Tom lost his Dad a year ago, had to move schools because he was bullied and yet he still managed to win an Olympic medal, just like his Dad said he would. So very very happy for him :yes:

Dawn
12-08-2012, 07:53 AM
That Chinese diver threw a right strop about only getting silver. :point:

Skywatcher
12-08-2012, 08:32 AM
So funny , watched it again this morning. Tom was clearly disappointed as he watched those dives go in but it was the difficulty of his last dive that cost him the gold , nothing more. Loved how he celebrated his bronze as if it were gold, bundle in the pool :)

Even a possibility of 2 holds today as well in the boxing and modern pentathlon

This has been quite some journey

Bought the album from the opening ceremony and downloaded the elbow track from the bbc Olympic theme and also the bbc torch relay music. Im olympiced up ate the moment :D

Dawn
12-08-2012, 08:51 AM
I found the grumpy person in London yesterday and he works at Hyde Park Corner station. :slap:

Have had a mega last two days in London. When I get the photos sorted I'll let you all know what we got up to. :D

Wendy
12-08-2012, 10:02 AM
That Chinese diver threw a right strop about only getting silver. :point:

:lol: didn't he just :lol:

Tom was clearly disappointed as he watched those dives go in but it was the difficulty of his last dive that cost him the gold , nothing more. Loved how he celebrated his bronze as if it were gold, bundle in the pool

Tom would have liked gold, anyone would have but all he wanted to do was win a medal for his Dad, which he did :D He is over the moon, Pat spoke to his aunt last night and she said that she had spoken to Tom and he was so excited that he won a medal for his Dad and he didn't care what colour it was it felt like gold to him.

Tom is only 18 and in 4 years time he will win the gold medal :yes:

The family are planning a huge party for when he comes home, but the first thing Tom wants to do is go to see his Dad and show him his medal :cry2:

Beccaberry
12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
My daughter has decided she is moving to the UK so that she can be closer to her "boyfriend" (Daley). The yell that went up as he won the bronze :eek:

And seriously...can those briefs be any...briefer?? Depending on where the camera lands those boys look quite indecent!!

Tink
12-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I'm a little over that bit. :rolleyes: Seriously, a full trunk won't interfere with their diving prowess. Better than showing their shortcomings to the world at every opportunity, eh? ;)

Skywatcher
12-08-2012, 08:24 PM
As Keith said right at the top of this thread, our country is so self deprecating usually , there was so much talk regarding whether we could afford it, how behind the building would be, how poor the security would be, how bad the opening ceremony would be etc

Every step along the way it has impressed and surpassed our wildest expectations

Everything from the architecture to the humble athletes to the phenomenal crowds to the sit second organisational timing.

It has been so much more than a sporting event, nothing in my lifetime has done as much to help cement a feeling of national identity and pride.

I have never heard a crowd at any sporting event sing the national anthem as the flags go up , certainly never to the level where it drowns out the music!

So many have found themselves caught up in the magic of the sport. My brother was in a pub when Mo won the 10,000 m he said the noise was deafening .... For athletics!

I understand not everyone got it or was interested , but for me the last 2 weeks have been my 'moon landings' every day brought more tears of joy and pride, and tonight sadness at its ending.

I have never ever felt prouder to be British, the effect it's had on my children has been profound.

I'll stop rambling

Normal service will be resumed shortly

Until then.... London thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Britchick
12-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I just hope some of the positivity rubs off and helps us get out of this recession. That is the way you achieve things not by sitting back and moaning :thumbsup:

Happy to see that the Government has committed to funding sport at the same level until 2016.

Did anyone hear Dr Steve Peters on Chris Evan's show the other day talking about the way he helped the British Cycling Team to achieve success? very inspiring, just bought his book and i've signed up to do the 100 mile bike ride that Boris announced a few days ago- ride London.

keith
12-08-2012, 08:34 PM
As Keith said right at the top of this thread, our country is so self deprecating usually , there was so much talk regarding whether we could afford it, how behind the building would be, how poor the security would be, how bad the ending ceremony would be etc

Every step along the way it has impressed and surpassed our wildest expectations

yeah even as I was saying it, I was doubting various things. Everything I was watching on the news, hearing and being told was how disastrous it was going to be.

From what I can see the whole thing was a huge triumph and good on everyone who was involved and supported it :yes: It's certainly been nice to see some national pride, to be honest, I dont remember if I've ever seen anything like it in my lifetime.

keith
12-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I just hope some of the positivity rubs off and helps us get out of this recession. That is the way you achieve things not by sitting back and moaning :thumbsup:

yeah a very valid hope :yes:

Sam
12-08-2012, 08:46 PM
As Keith said right at the top of this thread, our country is so self deprecating usually , there was so much talk regarding whether we could afford it, how behind the building would be, how poor the security would be, how bad the ending ceremony would be etc

Everything from the architecture to the humble athletes to the phenomenal crowds to the sit second organisational timing.

It has been so much more than a sporting event, nothing in my lifetime has done as much to help cement a feeling of national identity and pride.

I have never heard a crowd at any sporting event sing the national anthem as the flags go up , certainly never to the level where it drowns out the music!

So many have found themselves caught up in the magic of the sport. My brother was in a pub when Mo won the 10,000 m he said the noise was deafening .... For athletics!

I understand not everyone got it or was interested , but for me the last 2 weeks have been my 'moon landings' every day brought more tears of joy and pride, and tonight sadness at its ending.

I have never ever felt prouder to be British, the effect it's had on my children has been profound.

I'll stop rambling

Normal service will be resumed shortly

Until then.... London thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I couldn't agree more. I feel very emotional and so very proud.

Tink
12-08-2012, 11:20 PM
From what I could see, given the horrid coverage, The United Kingdom has nothing to be BUT proud! Not only of the incredible country, and the fabulous "job" they did in bringing the Olypics to London and the people, but the athletes themselves. :yes:

Who among us didn't cheer ourselves hoarse for Mo, and who didn't get seriously weepy eyed when Tom was swept into the water post dive by the team! :mental:

Amazing stuff. Happy with the performance of the US women's relay, must admit that! :yes: Ached for those who fell, for those who had other issues that prevented them from doing, or showing or being their best while the world watched. But ultimately, any athlete there had nothing at all to be ashamed of. They were the best their country had, and should hold their heads high. :yes:

So, I too say, "Thank you London."

Beccaberry
13-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Utterly gutted that it's over, to be honest. Luckily, the stories remain. And what amazing stories they are.

Shellyamc
13-08-2012, 05:18 AM
The only negative thing I can say about the Olympics is there was waaaaay too much butt crack!! :nono: I have never seen so much in all my life!!

Other than that they were amazing!! As Tink said, our coverage kind of stunk, but I did enjoy what we were able to see. At one point Katelyn asked if the Olympics were only for Volleyball :unsure: She did get to see some of the rhythmic gymnastics, and she was pretty excited about that :yes:

A job well done to all!! Only 18 months to go!